PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Island - 07/01/18 12:35 PM
Island
------------------------------
I'm an island, I'm a star in space;
I am a grain of sand; I'm a nameless face. 

I'm a lone man, on a global stage;
Across the ages' span, a single atlas page. 

But the flowers here are growing
And my shore's overflowing;
(Come, now, come and see me!)
Don't miss all the beauty;
Why won't you see me?

On this island In the peace of day
I'm spinning gold from sand; I'm giving life to clay.

There are jewels to discover,
And I'll welcome your lover;

Don't guess what it might be;
Please come and see me..

But the flowers here are growing,
And my shore's overflowing;
Don't miss all the beauty;
Don't guess what it might be;
Please come and see me.

Yes, I'm an island, but not a nameless face;
And I'm right at hand; I'm your treasure place.

===============================
Totally invented style
RD=Bossa Brushes
A couple of RT accents, mostly Midi (SampleTank3)

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Island - 07/01/18 03:43 PM
Based off the song I was expecting far more of an island vibe to your song, but I was very surprised by the content of your song. Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Island - 07/01/18 05:18 PM
Interesting arrangement - as Ember said, certainly not what the title would imply. Interesting key changes in various parts.

There's some odd phasing going on with vocal. Maybe it's doubled?

Anyway, cool song.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Island - 07/01/18 06:37 PM
Good Afternoon,

As mentioned, a very interesting piece! To my ears, it sounds like a Tango with strong influences of Bossa Nova. Creative and a nice listen. I like creative - and nice listens!

perhaps a slight bit more in the line of percussions would be a good addition? Just a thought. Anyway, i really enjoyed my listen.

Alan
Posted By: MarioD Re: Island - 07/01/18 10:51 PM
This is a very creative and interesting song that is preformed and mixed perfectly.

I do respectively disagree with my friend Alan as I like this exactly like it is, thus it does not need any more percussion IMHO. Others may or may not agree with me.

I really enjoyed this!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/02/18 07:41 AM
Ember/David/Alan/Mario..thanks all for listening...appreciate the comments!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Island - 07/03/18 04:07 PM
Tano,

You have managed to create a very interesting soundscape with some interesting twists.
Good job!

We love the artwork BTW.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Island - 07/04/18 03:21 AM
Hello, Tom

Very excellent and wonderful arrangement.
Anticipation by Rhode piano, acoustic piano used for the modulation following it, and high strings in the background, everything is wonderful.
As david says, truly interesting key changes in various parts.
It starts with Cminor key and eventually becomes C # minor key, but unless we listen carefully we will not notice it,
I feel the influence of Tom Jobin in your way to use Alto flute.
And I also feel Tango and Cuban Bolero in this tune.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/04/18 09:13 AM
Rob and Anne-Marie, and Shigeki...thank you for listening, and thanks for the comments!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Island - 07/04/18 10:44 AM
I found this to be a really interested listen! It is quite different sonically than what you typically hear on the showcase. It almost have an abstract or surreal sense to it. Some really interesting lyrics in here too!

Well done - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: rsdean Re: Island - 07/04/18 11:42 AM
I like this - very unique sound and arrangement.

Very well done.

Bob
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/04/18 03:30 PM
Deryk and Bob, thanks for listening...'unique' and 'different' are very good comments for the showcase!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Island - 07/04/18 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is a very creative and interesting song that is preformed and mixed perfectly.

I do respectively disagree with my friend Alan as I like this exactly like it is, thus it does not need any more percussion IMHO. Others may or may not agree with me.

I really enjoyed this!

Mario,

Feel free to disagree with me any time! I always respect your opinions. And I'm willing to bet that when you do disagree with me, you're right more times than not! But we both agree this is a terrific song by Tano! Cheers, my friend!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Island - 07/04/18 07:31 PM
Hi, Tano !:))

I like those unexpected
chord progressions truly
much ! Such a nice tune indeed !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/05/18 09:23 AM
Thanks Dani, appreciate your listen!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Island - 07/05/18 06:33 PM
Interesting feel, and creative lyrics!! I thought the vocal could come up a bit in the mix. The island theme is interesting....love Paul Simon's use of that metaphor in I am a Rock, and Jimmy Buffett's in Island (he may not have written that one). You did some really thoughtful stuff with the metaphor as well! Enjoyed! Take care. Greg
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Island - 07/05/18 07:34 PM
That was NOT what I thought it was going to be; but what a COOL song. There is a lot going on to keep your ear interested. I would be curious your methods in adding what you do when you do. So cool all the way around.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Island - 07/05/18 07:37 PM
I enjoyed the simple style coupled with introspective lyrics.
I`m no expert but also got the tango feel of the music.
There`s something that also makes me think of musical theatre, I can`t quite place it because your style is original too...which made me wonder about your musical background?

Robert
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/06/18 09:34 AM
Greg/HearToLearn/Robert..thanks for listening..
Robert, re my musical background...I'd say I grew up listening to alot of 40's standards that my father liked to sing/strum...also 'schooled' in composition by the early Brazilian song masters, and I admire writers like Bacharach and Mancini..pretty much a 'contrarian' who doesn't like to be identified with a particular style! Thanks for asking!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Island - 07/06/18 11:57 AM
You really let creativity loose when you wrote and arranged this song. I love your attention to detail and your flair for arrangement. Throughout the whole length of the journey, you kept me interested, captivated and entertained. It's definitely two thumbs up from me.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/06/18 01:20 PM
Noel, thanks for the kind comments!!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Island - 07/06/18 10:34 PM
Unusual and creative. I enjoyed it. The only thing was that the piano riff into some of the changes was way too loud here and distracted from the cool change in direction the music and song was taking. Overall, very cool track.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Island - 07/07/18 03:45 AM
As noted a really interesting piece.
Very clever and entertaining.

Peter
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Island - 07/07/18 09:58 AM
Josie & Peter, thanks for listening...I agree with the balance on those accents; they could be a bit more subtle..thanks for the constructive feedback Josie!!
© PG Music Forums