PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 09:04 AM
Not had nearly as much time here as I'd like recently, and this is my first song for over three months.
The 1990s was a strange decade for music, but that's about as close as I can get for this one.
This is a song about one of those situations where everyone except the person involved can see clearly.

It was all tracked-up in Powertracks and then moved to Realband for the Sax RT. There's extensive use
of my old hardware Syntovox vocoder on the vocals. It's a temperamental piece of kit and I'm always
surprised and relieved when it boots up and works. One of these days it won't and then I'm lost.

LIVING A LIE
Living a lie it's what you do
Living a lie it's changing you
Living a lie it's not the same
Make believe is not the way
So living a lie it's got to go
Living a lie you've got to know
Living a lie just take the blame
'Cos make believe is changing everything

It's time to shape up
It's time to wake up
And face the day
No time to make up
But time to break up
And walk away

As usual, I'm grateful to anyone who has the time to give it a listen.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 10:54 AM
ROG,

This is excellent.

One of the things I like about your songs is that you "make music" and not "just writing a song". There's a difference and we do not get enough of the "making music" around here...

A nice cohesive sound to this in all regards. Everything works together nicely. Great opening. Nice vocals. Nice playing throughout.

A good write. A lyin' song! smile

The sax solo is exceptional. Well put together - sounds like it was played for the track. One small nit - the final note should have drawn out and faded away...

A terrific listen. Very well done.

fj
Posted By: jannesan Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 01:08 PM
Very nice melodic song, good lush arrangement and mix. Vocals and harmony sound excellent. There is Alan Parson feeling in chording and vocals so for me this is closer to early 80's.

Janne
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 01:43 PM
This song reminded me of something but I couldn't quite place it. Also yes, the 1990s was a strange time for music. grin And you managed to capture that here in the best way possible!
Posted By: Al-David Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 04:11 PM
Super song, ROG! You have a full production with everything exactly where and how it should be. The mix is spot on. I like the vocal buried a little bit in the mix with the fx applications you used. Great sax solo! Loved it - nothing but talent and more talent showing through on this. Kudos!

Alan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 07:04 PM
Yeah this is really great ROG.

You have captured the sound of that era perfectly.

I really enjoyed this.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 07:22 PM
ROG.. really enjoyed my listen!… I especially liked how you kept this song simple – avoiding endless verses, but used your “song economy” to repeat the main idea… I think it was very effective… The production was very professional, overall very high-quality… I really liked the vocal Doubling and the back up vocals.. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: dcuny Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/02/18 07:42 PM
I think floyd jane nailed it - this is the sort of thing I'd want to listen to multiple times, because it's good, catchy music, instead of just appreciating that it's technically a well-done song. (I'm thinking of my own stuff in contrast. sick )

Plus, you've got me watching videos on vocoders. (I actually coded a non-realtime vocoder last month).
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/03/18 11:20 AM
Wow - I really enjoyed this! Definitely reminiscent of the early 90's - I really liked the use of those synths here, and the sax fit in perfectly too. It has a wonderfully quirky groove, and the harmonies on the chorus are smooth as butter.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/03/18 12:58 PM
It's been too long ROG! We need more ROG more often.

I had every thing cranked up and ready before we dropped the needle on this.

Wow!

This is one for which there is NO need to parse out for commenting...it is ALL over the top good.

We like what floyd said "you make music" -- we get that.

Ultimately it begs to be played again. For us that says it all.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/03/18 04:16 PM
ROG,

This is SUPER!
Probably the most professional track we've heard in a long time here on the forum.
Yeah definitely Alan Parsons vibe.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/03/18 06:32 PM
ROG,

This is first class!!! You ALWAYS deliver the goods. It never ceases to amaze me just how easy you make it seem when you put tracks of your own performing together and produce such an excellent 'band' sound. The shine of your talent never seems to fade.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 07:21 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

This is excellent.

One of the things I like about your songs is that you "make music" and not "just writing a song". There's a difference and we do not get enough of the "making music" around here...

A nice cohesive sound to this in all regards. Everything works together nicely. Great opening. Nice vocals. Nice playing throughout.

A good write. A lyin' song! smile

The sax solo is exceptional. Well put together - sounds like it was played for the track. One small nit - the final note should have drawn out and faded away...

A terrific listen. Very well done.

fj

Hi Floyd,

Many thanks for the review. I take your point about that saxophone note - it would have been nice, but I had problems getting him to play it so it sounded right.
The RTs are are fabulous, but sometimes I miss just being able to say:
"Just give me a sustained note on a ...."
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 07:24 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice melodic song, good lush arrangement and mix. Vocals and harmony sound excellent. There is Alan Parson feeling in chording and vocals so for me this is closer to early 80's.

Janne

Hi Janne,
Thanks for the nice comments. I've been a fan of Alan Parsons for a long time and I'm flattered
by the comparison. I was aiming for the 90s, but you could be right!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 07:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song reminded me of something but I couldn't quite place it. Also yes, the 1990s was a strange time for music. grin And you managed to capture that here in the best way possible!

Hi Ember,
Many thanks for looking in. I'm always pleased to get a review from "the staff" and glad you liked it.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: rsdean Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 08:52 AM
ROG,

This is tremendous! I love the arrangement and mix - some very cool vocals as well.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 06:25 PM
Great vibe ROG!!! Love that fat synth sound, and vocals sound great! I think I like this better than almost anything I heard in the 90's!! Love that snare sound, and sax solo worked great. Cool stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 07:37 PM
I've always been a sucker for hook that is both sung and played on an instrument. This has so many reminders of great influences for me. Great job all the way around.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/05/18 09:52 PM
This is really a commercially sounding tune and the era is spot on. I can hear your work ethic in this. Nicely done .Rob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/06/18 06:54 AM
Man! This is fabulous, Rog! Love the song and the performance. Great hook, very catchy!

Everything about this sounds totally pro, enjoyed!
Posted By: Sundance Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/06/18 09:50 PM
Wow this is great! Everything about it is so spot on. I love harmony - those harmonies are pure silk.
Posted By: PeterF Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/07/18 03:53 AM
Rog

Wonderful in all aspects and some really well deserved praise.

For what it's worth regarding floyd's comment I've been able to get the RT artists to play a long note or change a few things by using Melodyne - good for that long last note. Assume any pitch altering program would work.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/07/18 08:24 PM
Cool intro Roger. Super vocal and harmonies. Excellent guitar work. Back track was excellent as well....
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/08/18 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Super song, ROG! You have a full production with everything exactly where and how it should be. The mix is spot on. I like the vocal buried a little bit in the mix with the fx applications you used. Great sax solo! Loved it - nothing but talent and more talent showing through on this. Kudos!

Alan

Hi Alan,

Always pleased to get a review from you, my friend!
So glad you liked this one - you're very kind with your comments.

Hope you're keeping well,

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/08/18 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Yeah this is really great ROG.

You have captured the sound of that era perfectly.

I really enjoyed this.

Hi David.
Many thanks for the review - always value your opinion.
The 90s is a decade which can be hard to categorise, so I'm pleased you thought it worked.
Cheers,

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/08/18 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
ROG.. really enjoyed my listen!… I especially liked how you kept this song simple – avoiding endless verses, but used your “song economy” to repeat the main idea… I think it was very effective… The production was very professional, overall very high-quality… I really liked the vocal Doubling and the back up vocals.. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Tano,
Very pleased to see you review one of my efforts, many thanks.
A lot of my songs have minimal lyrics - it's nice that you found it effective, some might
just think I was being lazy!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: dani48 Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/09/18 05:25 AM
Hi, ROG !:))

I think this is one
of your absolute best !
I liked everything on
this one, singing, playing
mixing and naturally the
tune itself !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/10/18 05:56 PM
Hey ROG,

Back for another listen. Janice mentioned Jeff Lynne....yeah!

Great rocker!

Bud
Posted By: beatmaster Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/10/18 06:05 PM
Nice one !!
This was the eighties for me.

Good stuff.

Do you not mention what style from bb etc ?.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/14/18 06:55 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I think floyd jane nailed it - this is the sort of thing I'd want to listen to multiple times, because it's good, catchy music, instead of just appreciating that it's technically a well-done song. (I'm thinking of my own stuff in contrast. sick )

Plus, you've got me watching videos on vocoders. (I actually coded a non-realtime vocoder last month).

Hi David,
Many thanks for the review and the link to the vocoder video.
A lot of people think vocoders are just the "talking synth" sound, but when you get
deeper into them there's so much they can do. One of these days, my old Syntovox
will break down and be beyond repair, so at that time I'll be looking for a good
software vocoder. In other words, keep coding!
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/14/18 06:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - I really enjoyed this! Definitely reminiscent of the early 90's - I really liked the use of those synths here, and the sax fit in perfectly too. It has a wonderfully quirky groove, and the harmonies on the chorus are smooth as butter.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Hi Deryk,
Many thanks for the review.
The 80s and 90s were a great time for synths and I do enjoy going back there musically
from time to time. Thanks too for the kind comments about the harmonies - it makes the
time spent on them worthwhile.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/14/18 07:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It's been too long ROG! We need more ROG more often.

I had every thing cranked up and ready before we dropped the needle on this.

Wow!

This is one for which there is NO need to parse out for commenting...it is ALL over the top good.

We like what floyd said "you make music" -- we get that.

Ultimately it begs to be played again. For us that says it all.

Kudos!

J&B

Hi there J&B,
Unfortunately life has been so busy recently that I've not had nearly enough time
here on the forum. Hopefully you'll see more of me over the rest of the summer.
So pleased that you liked the track and many thanks for all the nice things
you said.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/14/18 07:05 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
ROG,

This is SUPER!
Probably the most professional track we've heard in a long time here on the forum.

Hi Rob & Anne-Marie,
Always pleased to get your opinion on my songs.
I really love the stuff you post and because you're SO professional
yourselves, your comments are valued that much more.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/14/18 07:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
ROG,

This is first class!!! You ALWAYS deliver the goods. It never ceases to amaze me just how easy you make it seem when you put tracks of your own performing together and produce such an excellent 'band' sound. The shine of your talent never seems to fade.

All the best,
Noel

Noel, my friend, that's very kind of you!
So pleased you liked it and many thanks for the review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/15/18 09:04 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
ROG,

This is tremendous! I love the arrangement and mix - some very cool vocals as well.

Excellent!

Bob

Hi Bob,
Many thanks for looking in on this one and for the kind review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/15/18 09:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great vibe ROG!!! Love that fat synth sound, and vocals sound great! I think I like this better than almost anything I heard in the 90's!! Love that snare sound, and sax solo worked great. Cool stuff!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg,
Many thanks! It means a lot to get praise from someone who's work I admire.
Just pleased you liked it.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/15/18 09:07 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I've always been a sucker for hook that is both sung and played on an instrument. This has so many reminders of great influences for me. Great job all the way around.

Hi,
Many thanks for the review and positive comments.
Much appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/15/18 09:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
This is really a commercially sounding tune and the era is spot on. I can hear your work ethic in this. Nicely done .Rob

Hi Rob,
Commercial is a great complement, many thanks for that and for the review.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/15/18 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man! This is fabulous, Rog! Love the song and the performance. Great hook, very catchy!

Everything about this sounds totally pro, enjoyed!

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the listen and nice comments.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: MarioD Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/15/18 05:47 PM
ROG,

This is SUPER!

I'm late to this party and everything I wanted to say has been said but I think RnAM summed it up very nicely.

Super song.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/19/18 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Wow this is great! Everything about it is so spot on. I love harmony - those harmonies are pure silk.

Hi Josie,
Many thanks for the review and especially the nice comments about the harmonies - it takes
a lot of tracking up, but feedback makes it worthwhile.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/19/18 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Rog

Wonderful in all aspects and some really well deserved praise.

For what it's worth regarding floyd's comment I've been able to get the RT artists to play a long note or change a few things by using Melodyne - good for that long last note. Assume any pitch altering program would work.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for looking in and the positive review.
Good idea about the sax note - I'll give it a try next time.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/19/18 10:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool intro Roger. Super vocal and harmonies. Excellent guitar work. Back track was excellent as well....

Hi Scott,
Many thanks for the review. I particularly appreciate the comments about the guitar from
someone who's guitar playing I admire.
Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/19/18 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, ROG !:))

I think this is one
of your absolute best !
I liked everything on
this one, singing, playing
mixing and naturally the
tune itself !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani,
Always pleased to get your comments and really pleased that you liked it.
Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/19/18 10:48 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice one !!
This was the eighties for me.

Good stuff.

Do you not mention what style from bb etc ?.

Hi there Beatmaster,
Yes, it could just as easily be 80s.
I tend not to use BiaB styles as such. I usually work in RealBand and just pick and mix RealTracks
to supplement what I play myself. It's like working in a studio, but having a room full of
top session players waiting next door.
Many thanks for looking in.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: LIVING A LIE - 07/19/18 10:49 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
ROG,

This is SUPER!

I'm late to this party and everything I wanted to say has been said but I think RnAM summed it up very nicely.

Super song.

Hi Mario,
Many thanks for that. I always respect and value your opinion.
Cheers,
ROG.
© PG Music Forums