PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 03:07 PM
Midnight Burning

A Latin influenced Jazz number featuring electric guitar on lead. This is all RTs - I only selected a style, picked the instruments, entered a few chords and and clicked on the "generate" button. I may have to give Brent a raise after this performance!

Real Tracks Used:

File:Midnight Burning.SGU
Key=Dm , Tempo 114, Length (m:s)=2:48

Style is _BINGO.STY (Bingo Bongo Cool Funk)

RealTracks in style: 1434:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkPoppy Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 1410:Piano, SynthLayer, Rhythm Soul70sA-B Ev16 100
RealTracks in song: 2904:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm GrittyBluesyPopBrent Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 2346:Horn Section, Rhythm, Funk 2-part, Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 2817:Guitar, Electric, Soloist SmoothSoulFast16thsBrent Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 2747:Synth, Rhythm AltHipHopHorn Ev16 085
RealDrums in style: Funk16ths-01-HiHatSn,HiHatBsySn [Multi]

Is the lead guitar too loud. Sometimes I think "yes" - other times I think "No".

Thanks!
Alan
Posted By: dcuny Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 03:29 PM
Nice! I thought the instrument balance was fine.

Using BiaB horns is tricky, because they basically run the same riff. I thought you did an excellent job not overusing them, and making them very effective when they did play.

I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 03:55 PM

Sounds great man.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 04:44 PM
I really love the vibe on this one! I can definitely imagine latin style dancers using this song to dance to. Awesome stuff.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 06:24 PM
Very nice. I think for an instrumental the featured lead guitar is at the "right" volume...at least for my old ears smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: cliftond Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 06:32 PM
That was an excellent production of BIAB, No the guitar is not too load it is just right, that guy is really good, you should keep him!!!, Great song.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice! I thought the instrument balance was fine.

Using BiaB horns is tricky, because they basically run the same riff. I thought you did an excellent job not overusing them, and making them very effective when they did play.

I enjoyed the listen.

Hi David,

Thank you so much! And you are correct about the horns being as bit repetitious. But, at least we have them. Glad you enjoyed it!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 07:10 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sounds great man.

Thank you, avid. Much appreciated. best to you & yours.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really love the vibe on this one! I can definitely imagine latin style dancers using this song to dance to. Awesome stuff.

Ember,

You are too nice - but don't stop! yeah, it makes me want to dance, too. (I'm actually a pretty good dancer!). Glad you liked it!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Very nice. I think for an instrumental the featured lead guitar is at the "right" volume...at least for my old ears smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks so much! I knew the lead was a bit louder than usual, but when it has to carry the whole song, I think that's advisable as long as it's not overdone. That was my concern. Thanks for the feedback and the listen. Best to yas.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 07:13 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
That was an excellent production of BIAB, No the guitar is not too load it is just right, that guy is really good, you should keep him!!!, Great song.

Hello Cliff!

Thanks much for the listen and really nice comments. yeah, I might give Brent a raise - he did good! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 08:23 PM
Alan,

What a great sound! Love the guitars and mix - sounds live!

Bob
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 09:05 PM
Alan,

Hard not to move to that - nice groove and a good mix.
Bingo bongo enjoyable.

Robert
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 10:02 PM
Really good use of RT's! I think the level on the guitar solo is just right (aside: I've noticed with RT's that you sometimes have to adjust volume of individual phrases in order to get a real smooth-sounding riff--did you run into that?)

BTW--how did you get that little 'slide' sound right at the end?

Great movement in this..thanks for building it!!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 10:06 PM
Very exciting and busy. Sounds like something from a tv show. Great write Al. Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 10:14 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

What a great sound! Love the guitars and mix - sounds live!

Bob

Hi Bob!

Thank you for all that. I really appreciated the "sounds live" comment. Glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,

Hard not to move to that - nice groove and a good mix.
Bingo bongo enjoyable.

Robert

Robert,

So glad you like it. My wife said I was chair dancing while working on it! And yeah, some those style names are something else - Bingo Bongo! Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/12/18 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Really good use of RT's! I think the level on the guitar solo is just right (aside: I've noticed with RT's that you sometimes have to adjust volume of individual phrases in order to get a real smooth-sounding riff--did you run into that?)

BTW--how did you get that little 'slide' sound right at the end?

Great movement in this..thanks for building it!!

Hello Tano!

Thanks for the listen and nice comments - sure do appreciate both. And yeah, I've had to do "bar-by-bar manual adjustments on several songs I've done over the years. I compress as much as I can without losing the quality of the track. It's time-consuming more than anything. But, sometimes that's what it takes. I find the same issue with some of the acoustic piano tracks.

As far as the string slide at the end - it's indigenous to the track. I didn't so anything. I did several takes on the lead guitar track before settling on this one. One of the others also had but the remaining two or three did not. It's the luck of the draw as you regenerate the track. On the other track that had the slide ending (the one I did not use), the slide was even more noticeable. When I'm doing my own lead (which I rarely do anymore due to progressing Focal Dystonia), the slides are very simple - just run my fingernail (or pick, if you use one - I do almost everything fingerstyle) down the big E string from the guitar body towards the head stock very quickly.

If you are interested, here's a link to one of the last songs on which I did my own lead. The string slide is at the 2:15 mark. I got it by using my thumbnail, but a pick would have been equally good. https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/another-day-remix You just have to ignore my mediocre vocal. It's written for a female voice, but I did what I could, which leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, thanks again for the very nice words. Much appreciated. Wishing you the best,

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Midnight Burning - 07/13/18 07:43 AM
Sounds great to me, Alan, guitar is sitting exactly where it should be in the mix.

Great groove, and nice changes happening here. Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Midnight Burning - 07/13/18 08:02 AM
sound is good here as well, think you just have to go with a level that you are happy with others will let you know if you are way out I'm sure.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/13/18 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds great to me, Alan, guitar is sitting exactly where it should be in the mix.

Great groove, and nice changes happening here. Enjoyed the listen!

Dave,

Than ks! I appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed it.I tried to add a little more percussion but it seemed to clutter rather than add fill - so I left it as is. Glad it works for you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/13/18 02:08 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
sound is good here as well, think you just have to go with a level that you are happy with others will let you know if you are way out I'm sure.

Beatmaster,

Appreciate your listen and feedback. And yeah, you kinda have to like it yourself! Glad it listen good in your ears. Many thanks.

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Midnight Burning - 07/13/18 05:00 PM
Very nice, Alan. Really enjoyed it. A good grouping of instruments, well mixed. (another one that sounded like it would be good for a lyric...).

Super.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/14/18 04:50 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Very nice, Alan. Really enjoyed it. A good grouping of instruments, well mixed. (another one that sounded like it would be good for a lyric...).

Super.

fj

Thanks a bunch, Floyd. With all that's going in in my life right now, lyric writing has been on the back burner. But, will get to it as soon as I can. Glad you liked it!

Alan

Edited To Say: In a couple of days, will be posting a new one with vocal and lyric. I guess it would be kinda hard to do a vocal without a lyric - Duh! As I turn the pages on the calender, my brain farts come more often. laugh
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Midnight Burning - 07/18/18 11:03 AM
Really well done smile The groove is infectious, and the guitar work here is superb. I'm getting a late 70's/early 80's kind of vibe with this one. The only thing it's missing is a soulful singer over top of it.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/18/18 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really well done smile The groove is infectious, and the guitar work here is superb. I'm getting a late 70's/early 80's kind of vibe with this one. The only thing it's missing is a soulful singer over top of it.

Nice work, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk! Glad you like it. I wrote it such that I can make room for a vocal later. The submission opportunity I wrote it for wanted an instrumental. Thanks for the nice words!

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Midnight Burning - 07/18/18 01:51 PM
Cool tune!! Guitar sounds great. When in doubt, for a part featuring Brent, TURN IT UP!! He is simply amazing. Pleasant jazz piece here Al! Take care. Greg
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Midnight Burning - 07/21/18 03:07 AM
Hello, Alan

The sound is great!
Yes, this is definitely a Latin influenced Jazz number featuring electric guitar on lead.
I agree with David (dcuny).
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/21/18 05:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool tune!! Guitar sounds great. When in doubt, for a part featuring Brent, TURN IT UP!! He is simply amazing. Pleasant jazz piece here Al! Take care. Greg

Thanks a bunch, Greg. Appreciate the feedback on the balance. And yeah - Brent ain't too shabby. Glad ya liked it. Thanks for letting me know. Best to you & yours.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Midnight Burning - 07/21/18 05:05 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

The sound is great!
Yes, this is definitely a Latin influenced Jazz number featuring electric guitar on lead.
I agree with David (dcuny).
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,

It's always a pleasure to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the very nice comments. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Midnight Burning - 07/22/18 05:20 AM
Alan,

This is VERY tastefully assembled. Latin meets jazz meets rock. Music and title are perfect fits! I don't know what it was tha caused it but 'The Avengers' from the 1960s with John Steed and Emma Peel came to mind. You've arranged this with all your usual professionalism. I found myself thinking, "Alan really knows what he's doing. I would loved to have heard his bands live."

May good things come your and Di's way!
Noel
© PG Music Forums