PG Music Home
Posted By: cliftond The King's Highway - 07/17/18 11:12 PM
This is a song about Highway 61 coming from Mississippi into Memphis Tennessee. It is commonly known as the Blues Highway. I use BB King as the name of the highway. I am a big fan of BB. BIAB gave me the drums, piano, and Bass, I put in the guitars, vocals, and lyrics, HA. Also this was my first recording with my new Tascam 24sd recorder, I have been using a Roland 880 ex for a little over 20 years. Enjoy Cliff

[Link no longer valid]
Posted By: dcuny Re: The King's Highway - 07/17/18 11:44 PM
I enjoyed the trip!

I'm glad you clarified it was "BB" King... even though there's also Albert and Freddy, it stupidly hadn't occurred to me that's what the title meant. blush

Fun song! smile
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 04:21 AM
Hey Clifton. I was driving that highway with my sister on a road trip to the States a couple of years ago when I went to visit Donald Gaynor. Brings back some lovely memories. Thank you
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 07:08 AM
I'm a B.B. fan too since the 70s. Taking a trip down Highway 61 is on my bucket list, one of these days we will do it.

Good tune, enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: furry Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 08:34 AM
Love it, thanks for sharing
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 08:47 AM
Thanks David, yeah it is for BB.
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 08:49 AM
THanks Joanne, Hope you can make it again one of these days. When we go to Memphis, we try to hit Graceland, Sun recording and walk down Beale St.
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 08:52 AM
Thanks Blue, it is a great little trip, as said before, when you get to Memphis, hit graceland, sun recording, Walk Beale St, all fun and blues.
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 08:52 AM
You got it Furry, thanks for the listen!!!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 11:16 AM
Really nice work on this one smile It's a wonderful ode to the classic blues sound, but with a modern twist. The percussion in particular I found to be an interesting choice, and a unique fit to the groove. Your vocals are top notch here too.

Great job here - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 11:29 AM
Cliff,

A good pop/blues song... moves along nicely... fun lyric...

Well done.

(I've used a VS880EX for over 20 years)

fj
Posted By: beatmaster Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 12:03 PM
This just makes me want to drive that route, Graceland is my dream and I am going to go on that trip one day...well at least I can listen to the song again. Well done, nice mix, and your vocals are suited to this genre.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 01:44 PM
Cool song!! And always fun to think of BB. One of my favorite quotes is BB's response to advice to young guitar players: "Don't be afraid to play a whole note". Not sure it's true but it's a good story, and this is a good song!! Very live, natural, with a great vocal! Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: The King's Highway - 07/18/18 09:00 PM
Loved it Clifton. Excellent blues
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/19/18 10:38 AM
Thank You Derek, so much can be done when using BIAB as your main band and then just adding players.
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/19/18 10:43 AM
Thank You Floyd, getting a song to flow with a rythym is the best way for me to write an original. If it is choppy, I will have a tough time singing and playing it. I have had to abort a lot of songs because of that. I have learned to write the feel of the song, icing I guess instead of trying to explain the song in lyrics. Writers will understand what I am saying here. That smooths out the process, may leave out some of the story , but, it gives me a good flowing song pattern.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The King's Highway - 07/19/18 01:44 PM

Hey Clifton,

This sounds great! Seems like you got up to speed on your new machine real fast!!

smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: The King's Highway - 07/19/18 02:44 PM
Hey Cliff,

Really cool song. Everything is spot on - top shelf all the way. The backing tracks were totally perfect and your vocal was a nice topping for the cake. Terrific listen.

Back in '52, '5 and '54 my father owned a bar in Highway 61 - but it was just outside Troy, Missouri. But I've driven Highway 61 through memphis more than a few times.

Great song and delivery!

Alan
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/19/18 03:33 PM
Thank You Beatmaster, You need to take that trip you will enjoy it!!!
Posted By: MarioD Re: The King's Highway - 07/19/18 09:13 PM
Man you played this with authority! Excellent all the way. Your axe playing is second to none and your timing is perfect for this song.

I could listen to a whole CD or album of songs like this.
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/20/18 11:36 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Man you played this with authority! Excellent all the way. Your axe playing is second to none and your timing is perfect for this song.

I could listen to a whole CD or album of songs like this.

Folks pay attention to this review, this is how I want it from now on!!!! HAHAHA

Thanks you so much Mario!!!
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/30/18 01:41 PM
Thank You Greg!!!
Posted By: cliftond Re: The King's Highway - 07/30/18 01:41 PM
Thank You Scott!!
© PG Music Forums