PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David 636 Swing Street - 08/10/18 04:18 PM
I posted this over on Soundcloud several weeks ago but never posted it here. Maybe you'll enjoy it a bit. I was playing around with the big band horns and ended up with this. I think it's begging for a lyric - will work on that some time in the future.

If you're wondering about the name of the song - when I was selling real estate back in Missouri, the address of the first house I sold was 636 Swing Court. I slightly modified it for the song title.

636 Swing Street

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key=D , Tempo 110, Length (m:s)=2:52
No intro. 25 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 25. Repeat x3 choruses

RealTracks in style: ~768:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~771:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~938:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzFreddie Sw 110
RealTracks in style: 2977:Horn Section, Soloist CroonerBigBandShoutChorus11-Part Sw 110
RealTracks in song: 2952:Strings, Rhythm JazzBalladPads Sw 060
RealDrums in style: JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier
Posted By: cliftond Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/10/18 04:35 PM
Oh Yeah, this is great!!!!, soooo goood, HA lit has such of a bouncey feel to this, that stand up bass is taking the rythym all the way here. Love it Al Cliff
Posted By: Scott C Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/10/18 10:36 PM
This is awesome Alan. It just blows me away how easily you slide in a out of genres and do such an excellent job of your songs. Blues, Jazz. Country. You have it all covered man...
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/10/18 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Oh Yeah, this is great!!!!, soooo goood, HA lit has such of a bouncey feel to this, that stand up bass is taking the rythym all the way here. Love it Al Cliff

Thank you, Cliff! I agree that the acoustic bass steals the show. But all I did was select it and punch in a few chords. Glad you enjoyed it! Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/10/18 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is awesome Alan. It just blows me away how easily you slide in a out of genres and do such an excellent job of your songs. Blues, Jazz. Country. You have it all covered man...

Hi Scott,

Glad you liked it - thanks for letting me know. As far as genres, I like almost all them. Although i played primarily country and southern rock for a living, I always messed around with music from various genres when at home. Good music shines, regardless thew genre, so I appreciated all the various styles.

Again, many thanks. Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 07:12 AM
Very nice, Alan! Great arrangement and mix.
I don't think it needs a vocal actually, it works well as an instrumental. But, having said that it will be interesting to see what you come up with!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 06:16 PM
Great work on this Al-David! Love that swing and has some very wonderful chords involved. I quite enjoyed the overall vibe with this. Well done!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 07:43 PM
Ok, I KNOW this is gooood because I can pretty much picture the band that's playing this. I feel it actually happened! THAT is a great quality in a song for sure.

Well done all the way around. What is the bass player's name? He's holding it down. wink

The only suggestion I could give is to put our a tip jar. smile

Really cool song!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 08:00 PM
Alan,

I have to hand it to you, you have a terrific flair for selecting exactly the right chords that (a) guarantee a wonderful music journey and (b) showcase a specific genre beautifully. As I'm sitting here thinking about it, it seems to me that you must have a huge repertoire of chord sequences and genres stored in your mind.

It's always a pleasure to hear what you create.

I'm glad to read in your other thread that Di is back home again. That's wonderful news! "Hi Di!!!"

All the best to you both,
Noel
Posted By: beatmaster Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 09:06 PM
That is brill , now what lyrics, vocal options do you go for ?.

Or keep as an instrumental piece, I need to do an instrumental now.

Enjoyed, Good wishes to you and yours.
Posted By: dani48 Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 09:38 PM
Hi, Al & Di !

I think this is you Al !
What a fine swing this is !
Very good indeed ! I´ll be
waiting for those lyrics !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: MarioD Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/11/18 10:23 PM
Allan you did an outstanding job on this. This could be played on Big Band Friday radio show here in Rochester
http://jazz901.org/
and I'll bet that no one would think this is all computer generated.

This song is something special for sure.

Keep up the great work.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 01:11 AM
Cool tune Alan!! Love that groove, and BIAB did such a great job putting those horns together. Really catchy fun piece of music. Glad you posted it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 02:58 AM
Big band is one of those sounds that BiaB does really well. As you said, the upright bass is very cool.

I was on the fence last month about getting a sampled upright bass library. The instrument was quite nice, and the demos were pretty compelling, but I knew I couldn't justify the purchase because I'd never be able to write anything as nice as what BiaB could do with the push of a button. smile

Anyway, pleasant listen and thanks for including a little background!
Posted By: PeterF Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 03:18 AM
Alan

Very nice - sounds great and very engaging.

Peter
Posted By: Robertkc Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 02:53 PM
Alan,

This is a style that I would probably only listen to watching a movie... it is so well done that even an old folkie like me can`t resist.Works just fine as an instrumental, but if you add a lyric I hope you keep the title!

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 04:19 PM
Being a bass fiddle picker I (Bud) laser beamed right in on the bass. Excellent as is the entire production. The earliest music I remember were my parent's 1940's and early 1950's swing records. And I, as well as Janice, have loved the genre ever since.

Kudos on this. It sounds very convincing!

J&B

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice, Alan! Great arrangement and mix.
I don't think it needs a vocal actually, it works well as an instrumental. But, having said that it will be interesting to see what you come up with!

Thanks, Dave. I've been thinking about a lyric but nothing significant yet. The title boxes in a lyric to some extent, but I can work around that, I think. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this Al-David! Love that swing and has some very wonderful chords involved. I quite enjoyed the overall vibe with this. Well done!

Thanks a bunch, Joe. Glad you dropped in for a listen! Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok, I KNOW this is gooood because I can pretty much picture the band that's playing this. I feel it actually happened! THAT is a great quality in a song for sure.

Well done all the way around. What is the bass player's name? He's holding it down. wink

The only suggestion I could give is to put our a tip jar. smile

Really cool song!

Howdy, HTL

That's always such a great compliment when a listener, particularly a fellow musician, tells you they have a vivid picture of the band playing the song. And yeah, I'm gonna have to give that bassist a huge raise, I guess! The tip jar is in the cabinet at this time, so we'll just take comments for now. And thank you so much for yours. Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: 44kfl Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:14 PM
This is BIAB?

I never take the time explore this side of biab

but this sounds great!

I love the horn section and the whole swing feel

this is in good hands, very enjoyable

Kenny
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alan,

I have to hand it to you, you have a terrific flair for selecting exactly the right chords that (a) guarantee a wonderful music journey and (b) showcase a specific genre beautifully. As I'm sitting here thinking about it, it seems to me that you must have a huge repertoire of chord sequences and genres stored in your mind.

It's always a pleasure to hear what you create.

I'm glad to read in your other thread that Di is back home again. That's wonderful news! "Hi Di!!!"

All the best to you both,
Noel

Hi Noel,

You are so kind! Thank you very much!

As far as chord/progression repertoires, I have a few stand-bys but try to find a new twists at times. I like the unexpected as long as it ingratiates what's already there.

I devote at least two hours to practising almost every day. Of that time, I spend at least a full hours trying various progressions and inversions of chords to find new sounds. I spend the rest of the time practicing lead riffs and fills. I don't so scales. Chords and progressions come to me relatively easily. I have a theory about that but won't go into it here. Perhaps I'll post that on a different forum sometime soon. It has to do with chords, math and foreign languages.

Thanks again! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:24 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
That is brill , now what lyrics, vocal options do you go for ?.

Or keep as an instrumental piece, I need to do an instrumental now.

Enjoyed, Good wishes to you and yours.

Thank you very much! I appreciate the great feedback. I've given a little thought to a lyric recently but nothing solid has appeared yet. We'll see! Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/12/18 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al & Di !

I think this is you Al !
What a fine swing this is !
Very good indeed ! I´ll be
waiting for those lyrics !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani!

I appreciate your kindness to this song. I'm running some possible lyrics through my brain, but nothing that sticks just yuet. Many thanks for the listen!

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/13/18 02:18 PM
Alan,

Sounds good. Good mix - as always...

fj
Posted By: jannesan Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/13/18 02:56 PM
I can't believe this is really BIAB smile At least I couldn't tell whether this was played by real band or not. You have done great job to make this so authentic in every way from chords to the arrangement.

Janne
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/14/18 08:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who has commented since my last "Thank you"> I sincerely appreciate all your kind words.

Di uis home and doing better than she has in quite some time - several years. We both appreciate the kindness you have shown her. Wishing all of you the very best.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Deej56 Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 12:56 AM
Al-David,

Every time I hear a song like this it makes me wonder why I don’t listen to more of it. Really engaging listen certainly worthy of the big band era. Well done!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 03:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Al-David,

Every time I hear a song like this it makes me wonder why I don’t listen to more of it. Really engaging listen certainly worthy of the big band era. Well done!

All the best,

Deej

Thanks a bunch, DJ. We're delighted you enjoyed it. We (my wife and I) love the Big Band era, although we're in tune with a lot of the modern offerings, too. To give you an idea how old I am, I can still remember when Harry Truman was President! Yikes!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for letting us know. Wishing you the best.

Alan
Posted By: EMG Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 03:24 AM
I'm agree with all the previous comments.
It's a very cool song even without lyrics.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 03:30 AM
Hello, Alan

Nice swing jazz!
Tommy Dorsey feel rather than Benny Goodman.
Is this probably one of the styles of Xtra Styles 5?
With your vocals and lyrics, it seems to be able to offer to the Xtra Styles 5 contest soon.
I feel that it will be a really good song.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: David Snyder Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 09:34 AM

This is really cool Al. The sound production is great.

I can really hear the swinging in this one!

smile
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 04:04 PM
Awesomne job. Sounded very big band pro to me. Very engaging from start to finish!

Dave
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: EMG
I'm agree with all the previous comments.
It's a very cool song even without lyrics.

rmar,

Thank you so much. I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

Nice swing jazz!
Tommy Dorsey feel rather than Benny Goodman.
Is this probably one of the styles of Xtra Styles 5?
With your vocals and lyrics, it seems to be able to offer to the Xtra Styles 5 contest soon.
I feel that it will be a really good song.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,

No, it's not from the Xtra Styles 5. I from one of the BIAB 2018 styles. Will be ordering the Xtra Styles set next week and, hopefully, get something entered in the contest.

I'm very pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for telling me! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is really cool Al. The sound production is great.

I can really hear the swinging in this one!

smile

Hey David,

Thank you very much. The horns a re a little tricky, particularly controlling the volume. But I guess it turned out ok. Glad you liked it! best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/15/18 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: GocartMoz
Awesomne job. Sounded very big band pro to me. Very engaging from start to finish!

Dave

Thank you very much! I work with these horn tracks quite a bit, when I get a chance. This came together pretty good. Glad you liked it! Wishing you the best.

ALan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/29/18 10:34 AM
I'm just hearing this for the first time now - and wow, what a jam! That groove is fantastic, and the swing on it is superb. I can only imagine how unreal this would sound performed live by a band. Some interesting and lively progressions here too, and the mix is on point as well.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: furry Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/30/18 05:11 PM
Great swingy big band tune guys, really enjoyable
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 08/31/18 01:39 AM
Many sincere thanks to everyone who has commented. I'm getting behind in my individual replies. Lots of things going on right now but will get back to it all real soon. Again, thank all of you very much!

Alan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: 636 Swing Street - 09/02/18 07:47 PM
I loved that one Alan! This is the kind of tune I need after a long trying day! The best way I can describe it is that when I listen it's like these guys running down the hallways of my mind picking up all the cluttered files and putting them back in the proper filing cabinents! I love it!! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Al-David Re: 636 Swing Street - 09/09/18 04:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
I loved that one Alan! This is the kind of tune I need after a long trying day! The best way I can describe it is that when I listen it's like these guys running down the hallways of my mind picking up all the cluttered files and putting them back in the proper filing cabinents! I love it!! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you so much, Torrey. I had no Internet for 5 or 6 days - just got it back a couple of days ago, so sorry for the late reply.

Your comments made my trying day! It's almost 3:00 Am here and I still have an hours or so of work yet to do. Burt I took a break to listen to a few tunes here on the forum and leave a few comments. Again, many thanks!

Alan
© PG Music Forums