PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Rainy Day Doodling - 08/11/18 10:39 PM
This is just me doodling around as it rains outside.

BiaB style = Slow Hip Hop, Tempo = 90 BPM
I kept the drums, piano, and the strings. I modified the string track to better fit the song.

I am playing the bass, guitars and via my wind controller the flute.

Let me know what you think about this little quick and dirty song.

Rainy Day Doodling
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 01:14 AM
I love that delicious flute groove!! The beat just draws in the listener. Excellent guitar work as well. I'll be hoping you have a lot of rain in your neck of the woods!! Doodle on!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 03:23 AM
Mario

Very nice flute noodling (and guitar & bass).
A clever and interesting jazzy composition.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 08:52 AM
Fun song, Mario!

Love the flute but man ... that tasteful guitar is really talking to me, love those jazzy licks! smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:06 AM

Great doodlin' man. First time I noticed how really gorgeous that guitar tone is.

What kinda guitar is that?
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 02:37 PM
Mario,
Your doodling has a nice groove - the beat with quick stops works well and I really enjoy listening to your flute.
Play on through that rain!

Robert
Posted By: Scott C Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 08:23 PM
Very cool doodling. We have been going through a bit of a hot spell but we are having a cool rainy day today and couldn't think of anything better than listening to your cool piece of music. Flute was excellent but your guitar was just superb. Well done
Posted By: Al-David Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 09:05 PM
Hey Mario,

If you give doodling lessons, sign me up! That backing track is killer! An your axe just adds to the fun! I enjoyed this as much as anything you've done recently. Super cool!!!

Alan
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 09:16 PM
Seems like it's raining everywhere,

I feel like it's raining all over the world tonight...

nice accents, the parts that you play are excellent

enjoyed the listen!

Kenny
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I love that delicious flute groove!! The beat just draws in the listener. Excellent guitar work as well. I'll be hoping you have a lot of rain in your neck of the woods!! Doodle on!! Take care. Greg

Thanx Greg. We aren't having a lot of rain and we are still a little dry. There is more rain predicted for this week. My wife hopes not as she is almost living in her swimming pool!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario

Very nice flute noodling (and guitar & bass).
A clever and interesting jazzy composition.

Peter

Thanx Peter for listening and commenting. Next to sleeping doodling is my next on my to do list! Not my wife's to do list but mine!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Fun song, Mario!

Love the flute but man ... that tasteful guitar is really talking to me, love those jazzy licks! smile

Thanx! I have neglected my guitar chops lately but I'm trying to get back into the groove.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Great doodlin' man. First time I noticed how really gorgeous that guitar tone is.

What kinda guitar is that?

Thanx David. The guitar is an old hollow body Jay Turser JT-36 jazz guitar.

Description: Jazz Box
Attached picture Jay Turser JT-36.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mario,
Your doodling has a nice groove - the beat with quick stops works well and I really enjoy listening to your flute.
Play on through that rain!

Robert

Thanx Robert. There ain't much to do around here on a rainy day except doodle around.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool doodling. We have been going through a bit of a hot spell but we are having a cool rainy day today and couldn't think of anything better than listening to your cool piece of music. Flute was excellent but your guitar was just superb. Well done

Thanx Scott. We have had a very hot and dry summer thus far. This rain was the first that we have had in a long time. It has been the hottest summer on record thus far.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Mario,

If you give doodling lessons, sign me up! That backing track is killer! An your axe just adds to the fun! I enjoyed this as much as anything you've done recently. Super cool!!!

Alan

I can not give doodling lessons as I don't have any idea what in God's name that I'm doing! I just play to have fun. Sometimes it sounds OK and you all get to listen to it but sometimes I have to hit the Delete button!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/12/18 10:14 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Seems like it's raining everywhere,

I feel like it's raining all over the world tonight...

nice accents, the parts that you play are excellent

enjoyed the listen!

Kenny

Thanx Kenny. I was just having fun. I'm glad that you liked it.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/13/18 08:15 AM
Mario,

The spontaneity of your music is always a delight to listen to. I love the groove for this and you wove your playing around it with skill.

You entertained me!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: bluage Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/13/18 09:52 AM
Dear "Mario D"...

Rhythmically funky, yet wistful in mood ...minor-keyed, yet mellow...artfully atmospheric...these are the words that came to my mind as I listened to "Rainy Day Doodling".

Some of your "changes" were daring and unexpected, but also musically exciting to hear. They kept me anticipating where the song would go.

The breaks between the verses were playful and fun to anticipate. The Real Drums cymbal work added mist and shimmer to the track's sound. If you hadn't informed us of the instruments you played -- the bass, the guitars and the flute -- I would have presumed they were Real Tracks because of the relaxed feel of your improvisations.

I'd take the word "Doodling" out of your title. It makes it sound as though you were just playing around, but the song doesn't come off like that. It sounds like it was performed by a tight and talented group of musicians who conjured up the feel, the scent, and the taste of...a rainy day.

Sincerely,

bluage (a.k.a. LOREN)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/13/18 02:23 PM
Nice doodling, Mario.

Cool flute and guitar. Nice use of stops. The ending flute hits were especially nice.

fj
Posted By: jannesan Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/13/18 02:27 PM
Excellent jazzy song, could be a good one for the soundtrack of a 70's art movie smile Very nice groove with nice stops. Great sound and playing, especially the flute. Instrumentation really works, and that breathing sound (cymbal?) makes this song... breathe.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/14/18 02:45 PM
If I could noodle like that and when it rains (often here this year) I'd have several albums in the can.

Great playing and love that jazzy tone you have going.

Cool arrangement also with the stops.

Fun!!!

J&B
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/14/18 03:29 PM
You sir, are very impressive at doodling! That's a cools on my book. The guitar work was really cool, and loved the flute.

I have to ask, how did you get such great stops? I get them, but usually in that many I would have one that flops. Teach me your doodling ways if you would please sir.

Great job Mario!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 02:26 AM
Hello, Mario

Nice jazzy tune!
Frequent breaks are very cool.
I also love that delicious flute groove like Greg.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Mario,

The spontaneity of your music is always a delight to listen to. I love the groove for this and you wove your playing around it with skill.

You entertained me!

All the best,
Noel

Thanx so much for those kind words Noel.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "Mario D"...

Rhythmically funky, yet wistful in mood ...minor-keyed, yet mellow...artfully atmospheric...these are the words that came to my mind as I listened to "Rainy Day Doodling".

Some of your "changes" were daring and unexpected, but also musically exciting to hear. They kept me anticipating where the song would go.

The breaks between the verses were playful and fun to anticipate. The Real Drums cymbal work added mist and shimmer to the track's sound. If you hadn't informed us of the instruments you played -- the bass, the guitars and the flute -- I would have presumed they were Real Tracks because of the relaxed feel of your improvisations.

I'd take the word "Doodling" out of your title. It makes it sound as though you were just playing around, but the song doesn't come off like that. It sounds like it was performed by a tight and talented group of musicians who conjured up the feel, the scent, and the taste of...a rainy day.

Sincerely,

bluage (a.k.a. LOREN)

Thanx so much Loren. The drums are not RealDrums. They are MIDI drums.

Thanx for your "If you hadn't informed us of the instruments you played -- the bass, the guitars and the flute -- I would have presumed they were Real Tracks because of the relaxed feel of your improvisations" comment. I know that I am no where as good as those RT pro players but I do have fun playing my instruments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Nice doodling, Mario.

Cool flute and guitar. Nice use of stops. The ending flute hits were especially nice.

fj

Thanx for listening and commenting Floyd.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Excellent jazzy song, could be a good one for the soundtrack of a 70's art movie smile Very nice groove with nice stops. Great sound and playing, especially the flute. Instrumentation really works, and that breathing sound (cymbal?) makes this song... breathe.

Janne

Thanx Janne. Yes that breathing sound was a MIDI cymbal. Thanx for noticing that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
If I could noodle like that and when it rains (often here this year) I'd have several albums in the can.

Great playing and love that jazzy tone you have going.

Cool arrangement also with the stops.

Fun!!!

J&B

Thanx J&B. Actually most all of my leads are me just doodling around until I find something that fits.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
You sir, are very impressive at doodling! That's a cools on my book. The guitar work was really cool, and loved the flute.

I have to ask, how did you get such great stops? I get them, but usually in that many I would have one that flops. Teach me your doodling ways if you would please sir.

Great job Mario!

After you get a verse and/or chorus with the stops where you want them then copy and paste does the rest.

PS - yes I am a very lazy guy!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/15/18 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Mario

Nice jazzy tune!
Frequent breaks are very cool.
I also love that delicious flute groove like Greg.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki thanx for commenting. I'm glad you liked this.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/16/18 01:23 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

After you get a verse and/or chorus with the stops where you want them then copy and paste does the rest.

PS - yes I am a very lazy guy!

Great. Thanks!

Lazy? Nah. Intelligent!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/16/18 11:45 AM
Wonderful job Mario - and a great usage of the hip hop style. The groove is amazing on this one, and the instrument selection is superb and unique. In particular, the flute fit in perfectly.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: cliftond Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/16/18 04:40 PM
THat is some great doodling Mario!!! love this style that you are using here. Such a good mood set with the intruments!!! CLiff
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Rainy Day Doodling - 08/16/18 07:56 PM
Hmmmm, I thought I listened to this previously and commented. I must have forgotten to hit submit. Well this gives me a chance to listen again. Really liked the vibe of the tune and especially the flute. Some very nice noodling indeed. Perfect for a rainy day or any other day for that matter.

Dave
© PG Music Forums