PG Music Home
https://soundcloud.com/torrey-bliss/big-paper-bible

A couple of weeks ago David Snyder sent me a message about doing a collaboration on a song. He got the idea for this when he found a bible he could write notes in at a dollar store with a paper cover for, you guessed it, a dollar. He sent me a few words he had put together I worked on some more lyrics and developed a melody and chord structure and put this wild tune together. It's a song poking fun at (me) and others about some of our silly idiosyncrasies about how it's ok to write in some bibles and not others. If you don't have a sense of humor never mind! It's a fun tune I really enjoyed putting together with David (you know he never does anything silly like this). We only used RealDrums from the BIAB programs for this. I played the guitars, bass, organ, synths, percusion and vocals. David added sitar and vocals. We call our temporary group "The Peebles" and we hope you get a kick out of this crazy tune!!!

Drums used from BIAB are:
Pop Pep Squad
Praise Worship Power Push
Metal Halftime Hat
Jazz Funk Movin

Big Paper Bible
Copyright 2018 David Snyder and Torrey Bliss
Verse 1
He’s wanting a bible that he can write on
So he won’t forget when his wife isn’t home
To help him remember what he has done wrong
Or write the words to a new worship song
But a leather bound edition to write on is a sin
A cover made of paper is where he must begin

Chorus
He wants a paper bible
big paper bible

Verse 2
He can’t touch the one in the lighted case
Or mark it all up with what he can’t erase
But help can be found at the dollar store
The place where a dollar buys you the written word
With a pack of colored pencils he’s going to change the world
With notes and commentary like we’ve never heard

Chorus

Verse 3
He’s got to have it to share the good news
With anyone out there who might have the blues
It could be someone at the grocery store
He’ll have the answer to what they long for
He’ll write it on the paper to which he will refer
To seize the opportunity to spread the word
Chorus
Please post the lyrics so I can read for fun as well as listen for the same.
This rocks - that means you did a great job with the BIAB drums.
Since you've used your combined talents & real drums you could call the group Peebles & Bam Bam!
I think this is ace fun and sounds great.
The combination of RealDrums and real insttruments is a potent one.
Well played and sung.
I loved it.
Might I suggest that you pan David's vocal part at the end, a tad to one side so that it's clearer and doesn't muddy your lead vocal?
Peebles,

Weird and clever. Bizarre and cool. Derivative and original. Familiar and unique.

A carnival for the ears.

An awesome sound. Attention getting at every turn. Terrific mix.

Well played.

Well done.

Interesting is an understatement.

fj
Peebles,

I really enjoyed this. I particularly loved the chord progression in the prechorus and the way it pushed the lyrics and music headlong into the chorus... very skillful!

You've both done a great job!

All the best,
Noel
floyd jane said it best - weird and clever.

That was a lot of fun - an welcome blast of originality.
Torrey & David

A real treat. Great imagination and some superb musicianship(interesting and wonderfully complex at times).
Clever engaging and fun.
Really well done.

Peter
Loved everything about this, the lyrics, vocals, musicianship and the production. Just an exceptional piece of music on every level!

Well done Torrey and David!
Circus comes to town. sounds so much like paper back writer.

Enjoyed great fun.
Wow! What a wild and wonderful ride this song is!

It's fun and joyful nature belies the songcraft, production and the mix. All excellent.

Much enjoyed!
Very lovely song. I especially enjoyed the lyrics! Thanks so much for sharing.
What a cool song. I loved the intro. Very cool vocals and guitar. Really nice collaboration guys.. Up there with my favorite tunes on the forum..
Thanks rayc for the listen and comments! I agree about the panning you mentioned but it will be a few days before I can get it done and updated on SoundCloud. Thanks, T
Thanks Floyd for listening and commenting. It means a lot to me! T
Thanks Noel! That pre-chorus part was one of the first things that came to me when putting this together. T
Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed this! It is certainly unique, but extremely catchy and well executed. Some bizarrely catchy lyrics here. That hook is a major ear worm, and the groove is fantastic too. Your vocals are top notch on top of it all, and the backing tracking is fantastic. Somehow, it is awkward yet insanely catchy.

Looking forward to hearing what else you guys come up with together - thanks for sharing smile
Wow... Torrey and David,

This is really good and indeed... fun laugh !
And "Praise Worship" and "Metal" together, a very special combination for a song!
But it surely works.

Rob and Anne-Marie
A very good rocking tune with lots of Beatles influences (paper back writer reference is intentional, I guess). Funny, clever and creative, great collaboration.

Janne
Love when it goes into the chorus,

clever Beatle-like things springing up everywhere

awesome vocals and guitar

very clever write and beautiful recording

mad genius at work by both of youse

Kenny
Torrey is a musical wizard and it was really fun working with him on this.

I am still laughing at his performance. It is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

We also might have something else coming from The Peebles. Ya never know.

I just have this gut feeling that The Peebles can't be stopped.

Attached picture Peebles Road Studios.jpg
Thanks David for listening and commenting! I appreciate it ! T
Thanks Peter for those kind words! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Dave! I always appreciate your comments! T
I can honestly say I have never heard a song written about this subject matter before. Very original and loads of fun. Well done. Excellent production. Enjoyed it.

Nice performances all around.

Dave
For a Limited Time, an Autographed Edition of the original Peebles Big Paper Bible can be requested for a small fee of $1 plus $350,000 in shipping.

Act Now!

Attached picture Original Peebles Big Paper Bible.jpg
Quote:
Weird and clever. Bizarre and cool. Derivative and original. Familiar and unique.

floyd said it all.
That was an interesting and clever write.

Alyn
Dear Peebles,
Can we have some more, please!
A wacky and wonderful collaboration.
Nobody does the channeled Beatles sound better than Torrey and since we haven`t heard from him much lately, thanks go to David for the inspiration...and the bizarre mumbling at the end.

Robert
beatmaster, I got a chuckle out of your “circus comes to town” comment but realized that it describes our song pretty good. Thanks so much for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Lawrence for the kind words! It’s great to get a thumbs up from someone as talented as yourself! T
Ember, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Love when it goes into the chorus,

clever Beatle-like things springing up everywhere

awesome vocals and guitar

very clever write and beautiful recording

mad genius at work by both of youse

Kenny

Hey You Two ...

I fully agree with Kenny's assessment. What a truckload of fun! The Beatles would be jealous!!!

What creativity and all that technical stuff I know so little about. This is a real treat. This is my rd listen over the past couple of days. Thanks for the terrific listen and smile on my face.

Alan
Thanks Scott! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment! T
Thanks Deryk for those most gracious words! I really appreciate it! T
Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie! It’s funny how the drums from different genres will work together sometimes! I had to do a lot of volume adjustments between them though ! T
Hey Guys,

Great fun all the way through.

It's so much fun that it's easy to miss how well it's all put together.

Excellent.

ROG.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Peebles,

A carnival for the ears.

An awesome sound. Attention getting at every turn. Terrific mix.

Well played.

Well done.

Interesting is an understatement.

fj

I often quote Floyd because I can't say it better (or usually as good). Along with other things I heard a Sgt. Pepper/Magical mystery tour intro, an homage to Paperback Writer, a really interesting, melodically and production rich song and an outro homage to Good Day Sunshine. Production/playing are killer. I hear some Queen influence in there as well. What a fantastic effort and, well......A carnival for the ears. GREAT!!! Take care. Greg
Hello, Peebles

Yes, this is paper back writer.
I think that it captures the characteristics of the Beatles very well.
I think it is very difficult to make something very similar and very different like this.
Really really well produced.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Thanks so much Janne! Yes this kind of a play off of a few of the old classics! I appreciate the listen and comment! T
Thanks Kenny for listening and commenting! It means a lot to me! T
Thanks David! Hey keep me updated with real-time stats on our sales of that bible you offered for a dollar! We might have to re-evaluate the shipping charges though! T
Dave, thanks for checking out the song! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Alyn! I appreciate your input! T
Thanks Robert! That mumbling makes the song! T
David / Torrey,

That was so good! Very clever and creative... Beyond creative. smile

Loved it!

Bob
floyd said, "Weird and clever. Bizarre and cool. Derivative and original. Familiar and unique."

We struggle to add to that smile Other than the Paperback Writer vibes are too cool.

"He can’t touch the one in the lighted case
Or mark it all up with what he can’t erase
But help can be found at the dollar store
The place where a dollar buys you the written word
With a pack of colored pencils he’s going to change the world
With notes and commentary like we’ve never heard"

What can you say to that?!

Heckuva collab!

J&B

J&B
Thanks Alan! I always appreciate the positive vibes you send my way!! T
Rog, thanks so much for checking out the song! I appreciate it! T
Greg, I really appreciate your kind words! I have always considered you as one of the “elite” song posters here and your input means a lot to me! T
Thanks Shigeki for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Bob! I always appreciate your comments! T
Thanks J&B! That means a lot to me! T
Man, I'm glad I stumbled across this! So good. Torrey, your musicianship and arranging skills really shine in this one. I agree with the Beatles comparisons. Also sounds like something Farrell and Farrell could have done.

And what can I say about David? I mean, really. What can I say about David?

Seriously, David, your creativity amazes me. Are you related to Andy Kaufman? (I did always enjoy his off-the-wall humor.)

I'll be looking for more from the Peebles. Perhaps a world tour is in your future???

Great job, guys!

Steve
Neato,

Little bit of Beatles, little bit of funk
Little bit of Torry and some of David too!

Fun listen guys.
Thanks Steve for the kind words! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Jim for giving a listen and commenting! I appreciate it! Torrey
I love the retro style. My favorite type! Instrumentation and arrangement are superb.
Thanks Ezekiel’s Storm for taking the time to listen and comment. I look forward to what you will be contributing to this group! I appreciate it! T
Wow! What a treat for the ears. A fun, nostalgic, while at the same time completely new sounding piece. Torrey, you have some astounding arranging skills and some enormous playing talents. David, you are so crazy in such a good way that your creativity and entertainment value is off the charts. I loved the Beatles and now I love the Peebles, Tom
Thank you Tom! I am very appreciative of those nice comments ! As for David, I would just say that this forum would not be what it is today without his continual creative input! T
Looks like I'm a year late to the party, but this is a terrific song.
I was browsing through your soundcloud collect Torrey, and came across this gem.

Clever catchy lyrics.
Buck store Bible.
This s really good.
I sent the link to some friends too!

Love it.
so much talent on display here.
Hell-arious! Really enjoyed it.
Cool song...
Clever lyrics...
Great song idea from an Dollar Store inspiration...
Nice production & mix...
And I must say Torrey...
I think you've got those Beatles licks & sounds nailed down tight...
I'm impressed...
You & David done good on this one smile!
© PG Music Forums