PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/02/18 05:03 PM

Halfway Blues -- audio
Halfway Blues -- video
Hi folks,
We have not had much time for music making this summer so I (Bud) threw together a simple eight bar blues that I knew Janice could quickly riff out a vocal on. She did that and after the take said she’d like to try some BGV’s so here’s what happened smile Peter helped with the arrangement and played the solos and rhythm…thanks!

We hope it works for you and we are always appreciative your time to both listen and comment!

Janice: lead & BGV’s / melody / arrangement
Peter: lead & rhythm guitars / arrangement
Bud: lyric / video & audio production / mix & mastering / arrangement

Drums: RealDrum, BluesRock128
Bass: RealTrack 922, Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockSlow12-8
Piano: MIDI SuperTrack 1886, Solo-Accompaniment Bluesy12-8John Sw 060

Track effects: Logic Pro Grand Steinway, Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8 Imager module, Waves Bass Rider and Waves CLA Drums

Mastering: Waves LinMB and Ozone 8 Maximizer module

Equipment: Logic Pro X (iMac), Scarlett interface and Rodes NT1 mic and all of Peter’s stuff

Halfway Blues

guitar intro

suit up, get ready, make a rare raid into reality
when you arrive you’ll find a different story
oh baby, you’ll beg, can’t we meet halfway?
i’m sorry, halfway’s a lot further than it used to be

a slight of hand brought you into my world
i could see you wanted to play me like a fine fiddle
making so many promises you would never fulfill
you saw another girl’s spirit to cripple

guitar solo

i knew you weren’t ready for a strong woman
for some reason I let you have your little taste
now no tears, no calls, no messages, just go
i don’t have any more time to waste

suit up, get ready, make a rare raid into reality
when you arrive you’ll find a different story
oh baby, you’ll beg, can’t we meet halfway?

vocal/guitar outro
What a collab!!! You can't miss with Bud's production, Janice's vocals (BGs fit great) and the masterful Peter F. on guitar!! I love this line...

That's an epic line!!

Great job with everything guys!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/02/18 07:48 PM
Janice,Bud and Peter,
Terrific slow blues with very good back-at-you lyrics.
The whole sounds simmered and cooked so well;vocals,guitar,backing, production.
The piano is especially good-nice to hear it mixed prominently.
Just curious about that Ozone Imager- used on the drums?

Robert
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a collab!!! You can't miss with Bud's production, Janice's vocals (BGs fit great) and the masterful Peter F. on guitar!! I love this line...

That's an epic line!!

Thank you Greg for those very supportive comments. And, glad you liked that line!

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/02/18 08:42 PM
What a cool tune. Love Peters guitar. Very neat effects on the guitar. Super vocal Janice. Super production as well. My kind of music.
Just fantastic. Great vocal, great guitar ring and wonderful lyric and production. For throwing a blues tune together I’d say you hit it out of the park. Fantastic!

Dave
Excellent! Has a "Key to the Highway" vibe happening in spots.

Janice sounds fabulous on this as per usual, and I really like those background vocals too.

Nice guitar work from Peter, right in the pocket.

Great mix! Man, those drums ... I've used those same 12/8 drums myself a few times, never got them sounding that good.

Very cool ending too. Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/03/18 08:20 AM
Janice, Bud & Peter,

This is excellent! A great vocal by Janice and some really hot guitar by Peter - love it!

Bud, I don't think anyone comes near your production... It sounds better than most commercially released records in this genre. You really have quite the touch.

Bob
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice,Bud and Peter,

Robert

We appreciate that Robert. I used the imager on the piano. Since the track is stereo and panned dead center I thought the imager might open it up more. And floyd has well taught me to turn up the drums and piano smile Although I have to be reminded.

Thanks for mentioning the lyric also.

Glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: edshaw Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/03/18 06:35 PM
Wonderful job, Janice and Bud. Speaking as a forum member close to winding up what has turned out to be nearly a 3 mo. hiatus, checking back into the forum, and what should I hit on almost right away, but Janice and Bud burning it up with "Halfway Blues."
Hey, a lot of great collaborations have been going down in the interim. Soon to return, new state, new home, new BAIB style (Hank Campfire) to those oldie hymns and gospels. Again, great work, J & B !
Great work on this Janice & Bud! Fantastic choice of instrumentation. I really enjoyed the overall progression. Great work on the guitars too! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/03/18 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

That's an epic line!!

Greg
Always a privelege to be asked to play on one of Bud & Janice's tracks. Thanks for the too kind comments on the guitar part.
Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool tune. Love Peters guitar. Very neat effects on the guitar. Super vocal Janice. Super production as well. My kind of music.

Thanks Scott! It's our kind of music also.

J&B
"get ready, make a rare raid into reality"

Some nice alliteration there, Mr. Merritt.

Excellent abounds. (No surprise there).

Smokin' guitar leads (really like the delay on the guitar! and the bite!)

Smokin' vocal. Great emotion. (LOVED the little cry on "sorry" @ 3:05!). Super BGVs.

Smokin' mix. Guitars all sound great. Drums, yes! Good bass. Clear, clean vocals. Super piano sound. (Typical Bud Mix).

All to a smokey video. Nice.

A great listen.

fj
J&B...loved the idea behind the lyric: talking about “halfway”..great innovative idea, with lots of good, creative “takes” on the main idea...perfect instrumentation/solo/vocal for the style...really liked the little vocal “add-ins” as well..thanks for sharing!
What a tune! You guys nailed this one. The groove, the chorus, the vocal delivery - it's all there. The stars aligned and made something special here for sure. It is perfectly catchy, and on top of everything the production sounds really professional.

You should all be very proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Originally Posted By: GocartMoz
Just fantastic. Great vocal, great guitar ring and wonderful lyric and production. For throwing a blues tune together I’d say you hit it out of the park. Fantastic!

Dave

Thanks Dave. We very much like your latest!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/05/18 03:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice,Bud and Peter,

Robert

Robert
Thanks for the review - I always learn something from Bud's mixes.

Peter
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Janice sounds fabulous on this as per usual, and I really like those background vocals too.

Great mix! Man, those drums ... I've used those same 12/8 drums myself a few times, never got them sounding that good.

Thanks Dave for the nice review. We much appreciate it all!

I give all credit to Waves CLA Drums for the RD sound. Heckuva plug-in.

J&B
J&B and Peter, Wow another great one! I wish I had half of the strength in my vocals as Janice does she just seems like she handles that with ease! Love those searing guitar notes Peter! Slowing the track down at the end was a very nice touch too! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/06/18 01:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks fore those comments Scott.
Peter
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

This is excellent! A great vocal by Janice and some really hot guitar by Peter - love it!

Bud, I don't think anyone comes near your production... It sounds better than most commercially released records in this genre. You really have quite the touch.

Bob

Bob, we all thank you very much for such a kind review. Your productions have hugely affected our approach to arranging and mixing, i.e., relatively few tracks, an open/airy feel and a sense that a small band could play it live. And we are glad to have had the opportunity to listen to and learn from your posts.

J&B
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Wonderful job, Janice and Bud. Speaking as a forum member close to winding up what has turned out to be nearly a 3 mo. hiatus, checking back into the forum, and what should I hit on almost right away, but Janice and Bud burning it up with "Halfway Blues."
Hey, a lot of great collaborations have been going down in the interim. Soon to return, new state, new home, new BAIB style (Hank Campfire) to those oldie hymns and gospels. Again, great work, J & B !

Thanks Ed!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/07/18 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: GocartMoz

Dave

Thanks for the review glad you liked it.
Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/07/18 10:07 PM
I love the blues and man did you hit the blues nail right on the head! Great vocal, as always, super backing track and man what guitar leads. This is air ready for sure.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/09/18 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks Dave got the Key to the Highway vibe as well. Thanks for the comments about the guitar part.
Peter
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this Janice & Bud! Fantastic choice of instrumentation. I really enjoyed the overall progression. Great work on the guitars too! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for listening and commenting Joe. We all appreciate it!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/09/18 09:13 PM
It's hard to imagine that Blues gets any better than this. This is seriously excellent work by all concerned. Janice simply owns the blues - she's at least the equal of Susan Tedeschi. For my money, that about as good as it gets for modern day Blues singers, male or female.

Bud, of course, is a master knob turner if it's musical and has knobs, switches or sliders, Bud turns, switches and slides with the very best of them. And there's no doubt that pen of his had some magic ink in it when he wrote those lyrics.

I'm guessing peter's guitar is still in the freezer cooling down. That's some smokin' Blues playing!

This adds an exclamation point behind the definition of the Blues.

To be clear, I liked this a bit!

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/10/18 09:42 AM
PB&J, Nothing halfway about this. There is some fine blues guitar on this one. And a killer tone. The perfect vocal (again). The mix is all there with some big sounding drums. Just how I like them. Nice slow down at the end. The write has some fine lines in it and the concept of Halfway is the perfect vehicle for a blues song. You three are highly talented in the different skills that it takes to put together such a successful collaboration. Hats off, Tom
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/10/18 08:53 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Bob

Thanks for the review Bob much appreciated.

Peter
Super job!!!

Janice' vocals are fantastic!

Peter's guitar is singing as well!

And I think that somehow Bud's mix and master has hit a new high level mark! There is a brilliant separation from the Middle and the sides that really showcase Janice!!

A great job by all!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/11/18 03:46 AM
So this is what happens when you put together and excellent singer, guitarist and producer.

Glad you guys (and gal) had time to put together a treat for us! smile
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Smokin' vocal. Great emotion. (LOVED the little cry on "sorry" @ 3:05!). Super BGVs.

Smokin' mix. Guitars all sound great. Drums, yes! Good bass. Clear, clean vocals. Super piano sound. (Typical Bud Mix).

A great listen.

fj

Thanks for mentioning the alliteration...I rarely hear things that way smile

Thanks for mentioning the Bud Mix. My mix chops are hugely influenced by your songs and frequent counsel re ours.

Janice was delighted that you liked the vocal and especially the BGV's.

And another thanks for mentioning the vid.

We much appreciate it all!

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/11/18 11:08 PM
Cool song!

excellent vocals and production as always,

what blew me away was Peter's guitar - so hot - so nice

absolutely great sound!

Kenny
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/12/18 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

A great listen.

fj

Thanks floyd it was a pleasure to play on the track.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
J&B...loved the idea behind the lyric: talking about “halfway”..great innovative idea, with lots of good, creative “takes” on the main idea...perfect instrumentation/solo/vocal for the style...really liked the little vocal “add-ins” as well..thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot for the nice supportive comments. It means a lot to us. And thanks for mentioning the lyric and the vocal additions!

J&B
Hello, Janice,Bud and Peter,

This is the real essence of blues!
Super production as usual!
I agree with Greg.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! You guys nailed this one. The groove, the chorus, the vocal delivery - it's all there. The stars aligned and made something special here for sure. It is perfectly catchy, and on top of everything the production sounds really professional.

You should all be very proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

We appreciate that Deryk. Collaborators + BiaB = lots of fun!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B and Peter, Wow another great one! I wish I had half of the strength in my vocals as Janice does she just seems like she handles that with ease! Love those searing guitar notes Peter! Slowing the track down at the end was a very nice touch too! Thanks, Torrey

We all appreciate your review Torrey. And, Torrey, your vocals never fail to impress! All credit to Peter for that outro.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/16/18 04:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Thanks for the guitar comments Torrey. Glad you liked the song.
Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/17/18 04:19 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I love the blues and man did you hit the blues nail right on the head! Great vocal, as always, super backing track and man what guitar leads. This is air ready for sure.

Thanks for the review Mario appreciate your comments.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/18/18 01:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
It's hard to imagine that Blues gets any better than this. This is seriously excellent work by all concerned. Janice simply owns the blues - she's at least the equal of Susan Tedeschi. For my money, that about as good as it gets for modern day Blues singers, male or female.

Bud, of course, is a master knob turner if it's musical and has knobs, switches or sliders, Bud turns, switches and slides with the very best of them. And there's no doubt that pen of his had some magic ink in it when he wrote those lyrics.

I'm guessing peter's guitar is still in the freezer cooling down. That's some smokin' Blues playing!

Alan

Alan
Thanks for the wonderful review. Much appreciated.
Peter
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Thanks Mario. This production was a LOT of fun!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Alan

Al, you are too kind...but we’ll take it! smile Reading a review like this makes us feel that this whole music production thing is worthwhile. We much appreciate your support.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/22/18 05:49 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
PB&J, Nothing halfway about this. There is some fine blues guitar on this one. And a killer tone. The perfect vocal (again). The mix is all there with some big sounding drums. Just how I like them. Nice slow down at the end. The write has some fine lines in it and the concept of Halfway is the perfect vehicle for a blues song. You three are highly talented in the different skills that it takes to put together such a successful collaboration. Hats off, Tom

Tom
Thanks for the encouraging words regarding the guitar parts. Bud wrote a solid blues tune to solo over and Janice was inspiring as always.
Peter
Hi Janice & Bud,

what a great song that is, Bud - just heard it three times in a row. Janice, love your voice and that laid-back style you're using it. And Pete, very nice guitar job and I really dig the sound...

Stefan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/25/18 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Super job!!!

And I think that somehow Bud's mix and master has hit a new high level mark! There is a brilliant separation from the Middle and the sides that really showcase Janice!!

A great job by all!

Thanks for the kind comments Lawrence.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/25/18 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
So this is what happens when you put together and excellent singer, guitarist and producer.

Appreciate the review David.

Peter
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/25/18 09:24 PM
hi guys great work super vocal great mix and peter great soloing and tone thanks eric
Originally Posted By: tommyad

Gotta love, as always, that PB&J smile

Thanks a lot. And it is special coming from you given the quality of your productions and that you are a blues man! We appreciate you.

J&B
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Super job!!!

A great job by all!

Thanks!! We love your productions and are most pleased that you liked this one. Thanks for mentioning the mix also!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny

Your are too kind...but we'll take it smile

J&B

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Cool song!

absolutely great sound!

Kenny

Thank you Kenny. Yup, peter slow burned that one for sure!

J&B
Posted By: cliftond Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 09/26/18 10:24 AM
Oh yeah!!!, the blues are alive and well!!!!, Love this song, the piano seems to follow the vocals to a tee. Great vocal janice, and oh yeah the guitar!!!, now that is how you play lead parts!!! Love it Cliff
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Cool song!

absolutely great sound!

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. Oh yeah, Peter was smokin'! And he kept it burning through three solos.

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice,Bud and Peter,

This is the real essence of blues!
Super production as usual!
I agree with Greg.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki, it's always great to know that you like our productions!!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Janice & Bud,

what a great song that is, Bud - just heard it three times in a row. Janice, love your voice and that laid-back style you're using it. And Pete, very nice guitar job and I really dig the sound...

Stefan

Stefan, thanks for listening and writing such a supportive review. We appreciate it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi guys great work super vocal great mix and peter great soloing and tone thanks eric

Thanks Eric!

J&B

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Oh yeah!!!, the blues are alive and well!!!!, Love this song, the piano seems to follow the vocals to a tee. Great vocal janice, and oh yeah the guitar!!!, now that is how you play lead parts!!! Love it Cliff

Thanks Cliff. We appreciate you mentioning the piano - it took some track comping to get that feel. And, yup, Peter took it over the top.

J&B
I really enjoyed this blues. Nice guitar work! The video is pleasant to watch and I enjoyed the visuals. I also enjoyed the interplay of vocal lines (Nice Mix Bud!!!).
Originally Posted By: RichRayer
I really enjoyed this blues. Nice guitar work! The video is pleasant to watch and I enjoyed the visuals. I also enjoyed the interplay of vocal lines (Nice Mix Bud!!!).

Thank you very much. And we appreciate you mentioning the video also!!

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Halfway Blues (feat. PeterF on guitars) - 10/03/18 06:18 PM
Hi Janice and Bud and Peter,

The first thought that came to mind when this started playing was: "Wow! What an opening!" It's jam-packed with energy and attitude and it sets the stage so very well for a highest calibre blues/rock creation. Then Janice sings... and everything that the opening promises is delivered with gift wrapping.

The arrangement is excellent and I really love those vocal fills of Janice's and guitar fills of Peter's. In addition, this arrangement is housed in the finest of productions. The overall sound is full of clarity and it's very easy to hear each element of the mix. In a word... 'Professional', through and through.

What stood out to me most was the feeling of satisfaction that I felt when the song concluded. This is something that doesn't happen too often when I listen to songs but with "Halfway Blues", I was with you all the way and loving ever minute of the journey. When the song was over, I smiled and thought, "Yes! That's how blues-rock is done!" This song really is a credit to all three of you!

Regards,
Noel
Noel, Thanks. We appreciate every word and especially you mentioning the BGV's. They came to Janice while she was recording the lead track and we decided to have a go at it!

J&B
© PG Music Forums