PG Music Home
Posted By: G McAllister NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/10/18 08:39 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-227577634/never-had-so-much

This song reflects, in a lot of ways, how I feel today. When folks ask "How're you doing"?, I usually reply with "Never had so much, never needed so little". That's the truth. It generally brings some interesting responses, usually good.
I hope you enjoy the song, and I hope it applies to you too.

If you get a chance to listen and comment, I'd appreciate it.
THANKS

George

****** Song Summary *************
Title: NEVER HAD SO MUCH
Lyrics, Arrangement, and Vocal By:
George McAllister
Mixed in: REAPER
Mic: RODE NT1000
Key=D , Tempo 190, Length (m:s)=2:05
No intro. 96 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 96. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _WILDONE.STY (Wild One Westrn Rockabilly Swing)
Category: COUNTRY
RealTracks in style: 2907:Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
RealTracks in style: ~1135:Pedal Steel, Rhythm WesternSwing Sw 190
RealTracks in style: 2909:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockabillyLicksColin Sw 190
RealTracks in style: 948:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm MemphisDirtyMuted Sw 190
RealTracks in song: 1672:Pedal Steel, Soloist WesternSwingPaul Sw 165
RealTracks in song: 1871:Fiddle, Soloist WesternSwingAndy Sw 165
RealDrums in style: RockabillySwing^04-a:SideStick 8th, b:Tom 8th

Posted By: Al-David Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 01:33 AM
Hello George,

Don't think I've heard your music before - glad I dropped in for this. Here's my official welcome to the forum!

I grew up playing this kind of music in the 1950s & 1960s. Lots of Hank Thompson, Billy Walker, Webb, Pierce, Carl Smith, etc.

I really, really enjoyed this! Just like I was tuning in to KWRE AM - 7:30 on the dial - out of Warrenton, Missouri in 1955. My father had a half-hour show on that station back in the early and mid 1950s. I listened to it every Saturday morning - just before noon. I grew up not far from there.

This really took me back and put a huge smile on my face. Thanks for the musical treat! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 03:16 AM
That there is some excellent old-timey sounding music. Nice lyrics, great production.

Run it through a vinyl effect plugin and I'd swear it was a long-lost classic.
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 09:47 AM
Thanks David. I appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. I've never used a vinyl plug in, but I'll take your advice and try it.
George
GBA
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 10:21 AM
George, I love the Western swing feel on this one. Excellent vocal and some great editing. The Bob Wills Ahh at the end was a nice touch. I have always been a fan of this style and you did it justice. Nice one, Tom
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 12:55 PM
Hey Tommy, and THANKS for the kind words. I really appreciate you listening and taking time to write. I've always loved Western Swing too. The Bob Wills thing was just a spur of the moment ending that popped out. Couldn't help myself.
THANKS AGAIN
George
GBA
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 01:02 PM
Hey Alan.
Man, THANKS for listening and the kind words. I grew up on this music too. I had to smile when you mentioned Hank Thompson. Loved listening to him and the Cherokee Cowboys. If the song put a smile on your face, then it did what I wanted it to do. I have a few other songs on the Forum, but this is the first one in a while. If you get a chance, I'd appreciate you listening to the others.
Best To You
George
GBA
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/11/18 08:55 PM
Welcome. Very cool piece of music. Well done.
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/12/18 09:24 AM
THANKS Scott
I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/12/18 07:43 PM
Fun, well-written, foot-tappin' tune!! Very authentic old country vocal sound! Just the right arrangement. GOOOOOD STUUUF!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/12/18 07:50 PM
Just beautiful.
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/12/18 09:32 PM
Hey Greg
Thanks Man, I really appreciate you listening and taking time to comment. I guess I keep telling folks that, but I really mean it.

THANK YOU

George
GBA
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/12/18 09:33 PM
Marty
Much appreciated, it's how I really feel.
Thanks
George
GBA
Posted By: Tano Music Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 10:30 AM
Totally enjoyed this! Perfect alignment of style, lyrical message, vocal, etc. I really like it when a song doesn't try to be more than it is--this is a great example of being just right, just as it is, without extra fancy solo's, trimmings, etc. Shows excellent production judgement I believe.
Looking forward to hearing more of your work with BIAB!
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 04:21 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, especially considering what you folks are going through with the hurricane. I hope you've weathered the storm with little or no impact. "Never Had So Much, Never Needed So Little", is a reply I use whenever someone asks "How You Doing?". It's the truth and it dawned on me that I needed to write a song with that as a hook. I'm pleased that you liked it.
BIAB offers me the best avenue to produce a decent demo of my writing, without spending a arm and a leg, and time that I don't have to spare. It's remarkable.
I have a few other songs that I've posted over the last couple of years, and I'd really appreciate you listening if and when you run out of anything else to do. Again, THANKS for taking time to listen and comment, it's gratefully appreciated.
Be In Touch,
George
GBA
Posted By: furry Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 05:28 PM
George, that really is a SUPERB country swing song. My kinda country for sure. Looking forward to hearing the next one
Posted By: RnAM Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 06:44 PM
Nice and uplifting sound to this!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 08:29 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I was hoping folks would find it uplifting. It's most gratifying to get a kind message from someone who lives so far away from me.
THANKS AGAIN
George
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 08:34 PM
THANKS Graham. My kinda country too. I see you're from the Scottish Highlands. I'll bet if we could dig deep enough we'd find some common kin way back there somewhere.
Thanks for listening, and for the kind comment.
Best Regards,
George
Posted By: rayc Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/15/18 09:51 PM
Great dancing country swing.
The only nit I have is that the 1st solo (pedal steel) peters out.
Cool stuff.
Posted By: G McAllister Re: NEVER HAD SO MUCH - 09/16/18 08:59 AM
Good Morning RAYC
Thanks for listening and writing. I'll listen to the steel again and see what I can do about smoothing it out a bit.
I've never woke up to a message from way down in Australia. It's a nice feeling.
Best Regards,
George
© PG Music Forums