PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Over My Head - 09/27/18 12:22 PM
A co-write with Debi Champion.

If you ever spend any time in Nashville checking the songwriting scene, you will likely find Debi's Writers' Night.
She has hosted the most popular nights for at least 25 years.
It is currently at The Commodore Lounge on West End.
For many years it was at The Broken Spoke Saloon (for reference for anyone who might have visited Nashville in years past).
Almost every writer who has come through in the last 25 years has played Debi's stage.
If you've listened to Country music in that period, you have heard guys and gals who got their start at those writer's nights. Some still pop in to do a round now and again.
Of course, you will also hear a night full of songs that are "less than great" - the majority of writers who move to town will find that they do not belong there - but, you've still got to give them credit for trying - for following a dream.
And a few who aren't ready when they get there will develop into good writers and find their way into the right nooks and crannies...doors do open for those who have the talent... and most will start at one of Debi's nights.
She is a sweetheart - welcoming to all.
Pack your dreams, your guitar and go see her to get a spot...

OVER MY HEAD

steady as a rock, always on an even keel
i never lose my head over what my heart might feel
but, then, you kissed me
oh could this be
what love makes you do when it's real

my heart's in deeper than it's ever been
   it just jumped right in
   i can't seem to catch my breath
   i'm going under again
   there's no saving it now, just let it go
   it's been swept away by something out of control
   a feeling too deep to tread
   my heart's in over my head

hey, look at me, throwing caution to the wind
not really caring if i sink or swim
i'm closing my eyes
holding on tight
here i go, i'm giving in

The BAND:

Style is _BRITPOP.STY (Classic British Pop )
RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 888:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBronx Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1270:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftSyncMuted Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: 1948:Mandolin, Rhythm PopUpliftingAndy Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: 2688:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockBrentSimple Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: PopRock8ths^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare
Loop in Song: Percussion Loops\Loop120bpm Claps Calypso - 16beat.wav
Additional loops from Studio One Professional

Harmonies: the janettes (Janice Merritt and me - mostly Janice)

Another Big Thanks to Janice & Bud for being a big part of my music!

Hope you enjoyed it.
Comments welcome.
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 12:48 PM
Good song!

I listened twice, first through the monitors and then through the phones.

When I listen through the phones every so often I'm hearing something odd on the harmony vocal panned left, "to catch my breath", is an example, as if it might be slightly out of sync? Or maybe just the fx you have on it? Maybe it's just my old ears wink

But, enjoyed the song and the performance very much.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 01:25 PM
Really nice work on this, Gary smile It has a fantastic old school quality to it. The vocal performance is strong and memorable, and the backing tracks make it all flow beautifully. The harmonies played a wonderful roll here, and perfectly catchy as well.

Great job, and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 02:58 PM

Hey Floyd,

Did you change your name to Gary? Sweet!

Anyway, I agree this song has a really catchy, extremely hooky hold-school vibe to it.

And I mean that in a really good way.

Really enjoyed it!!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 03:50 PM
Gary..

Nice guitar sounds and Groove ,Vocals are good and strong, though I agree with the weird sound ?, I also hear it, bit more time on this one I think.

Another listen on my beyer cans, it is just a bit of a delay on the backing vocals, sounds great on the phones.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 04:32 PM
Hey... this is a fun song. Has a pop country sound to it.

David Snyder..... were you referencing Gary Morris? Yep... I think I told FJ that years ago.... uncanny huh?

Yep...all in all a cool tune. Nice work.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 05:37 PM
Yes, a fun and positive fallin'-in-love song. Much enjoyed.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good song!

When I listen through the phones every so often I'm hearing something odd on the harmony vocal panned left, "to catch my breath", is an example, as if it might be slightly out of sync? Or maybe just the fx you have on it? Maybe it's just my old ears wink

Dave - I think I found the issue (an effect doing weird stuff). I've uploaded a new version (deleted the old one - only way I could figure to replace it). Let me know if you are still hearing something not right. Thanks for the listen!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 05:56 PM
Gary..

Nice guitar sounds and Groove ,Vocals are good and strong, though I agree with the weird sound ?, I also hear it, bit more time on this one I think.

Another listen on my beyer cans, it is just a bit of a delay on the backing vocals, sounds great on the phones.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 05:59 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster

Try it again - I re-mixed after your secondary listen.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 06:09 PM
Minted now, was it just an upload thing ?.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Good song!

Dave - I think I found the issue (an effect doing weird stuff). I've uploaded a new version (deleted the old one - only way I could figure to replace it). Let me know if you are still hearing something not right. Thanks for the listen!

Perfection! smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 07:35 PM
Floyd,

Tight, upbeat... and highly marketable (in another simpler Top Of The Pops world!).
The vocals and harmonies sound just right to me.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 08:39 PM
floyd

Wonderful and catchy -excellent melody and write.
Vocals all of them are fabulous (the harmonies are superbly tight).
Another gem.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: Over My Head - 09/27/18 08:46 PM
I nice 60's vintage sounding pop song.

Floyd how do you come up with such winners, both in chords, lyrics and mixes, time after time after time?

This is another of my FJ favorites.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Over My Head - 09/28/18 08:11 AM
Very catchy pop rock song, nice arrangement with pleasant loop sounds and great vocals, especially the Janettes, the guitar solo is perfect fit.

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/28/18 09:10 AM

No. It was the bad use of a Nectar preset on one of the harmonies.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/28/18 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nice work on this, Gary smile It has a fantastic old school quality to it. The vocal performance is strong and memorable, and the backing tracks make it all flow beautifully. The harmonies played a wonderful roll here, and perfectly catchy as well.

Great job, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for listening, Deryk... fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Over My Head - 09/28/18 06:07 PM
Janice said she enjoyed singing along with it as much as she did when she recorded her part.

You covered a lot of bases with this one...catchy wonderful melody, older sounds, newer sounds, the fj high bar production stamp and, of course, an engagingly nailed lead vocal.

Given the high fj output it remains remarkable that you NEVER release any filler. Amazing.

J&B

Posted By: Sundance Re: Over My Head - 09/29/18 12:21 AM
What a fun feel good song! Fun to sing along with too. Love the oldie vibe that runs through it and those claps. Add my compliments to your co-writer and the Janettes too. Great job y'all.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Over My Head - 09/29/18 08:29 AM
Loved this tune Floyd. Has a different feel to it from your last couple tunes. Very cool beat to the song. As always super vocal, lyric and production. And my favorite your guitar is so good. Well done..
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/29/18 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Floyd,

Did you change your name to Gary? Sweet!

Anyway, I agree this song has a really catchy, extremely hooky hold-school vibe to it.

And I mean that in a really good way.

Really enjoyed it!!

smile I change my name on a regular basis....
Posted By: RnAM Re: Over My Head - 09/29/18 07:35 PM
Catchy tune guys!
Very well done.
I do detect an organ throughout the song, but I don't see it listed anywhere?
Or maybe it's a resonance of a combination of instruments.

Rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/30/18 09:05 AM
Gary..

beatmaster - thanks for weighing on on this one...
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Over My Head - 09/30/18 10:42 AM
Floyd, loved the swimming/water analogy! Great idea to express the lyric feeling.
Really like the calypso 'ping' sounds in the background, right from the start.
Very tight song all the way around, outstanding lyric, wonderful energy, excellent production!
As usual, a real inspiration to me to work harder, refine more, reach for higher quality.
Thanks Floyd!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 09/30/18 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Hey... this is a fun song. Has a pop country sound to it.

David Snyder..... were you referencing Gary Morris? Yep... I think I told FJ that years ago.... uncanny huh?

Yep...all in all a cool tune. Nice work.

Thanks for the listen, Herb. Gary Morris was one of the finest voices to ever hit Country radio...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/01/18 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Yes, a fun and positive fallin'-in-love song. Much enjoyed.

Thanks for stopping in, Tangmo...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/01/18 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Good song!

Perfection! smile

Thanks for the re-listen, Dave...

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

Tight, upbeat... and highly marketable (in another simpler Top Of The Pops world!).
The vocals and harmonies sound just right to me.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Janice did a great job on those harmonies - they really helped elevate this...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/02/18 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Wonderful and catchy -excellent melody and write.
Vocals all of them are fabulous (the harmonies are superbly tight).
Another gem.

Peter

Thanks, Peter...
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Over My Head - 10/02/18 01:54 PM
Great song,

I really like the way the melody is written and sang.

An uplifting song with a solid arrangement,

very nice vocals, enjoyed it!

Kenny
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/03/18 10:14 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I nice 60's vintage sounding pop song.

Floyd how do you come up with such winners, both in chords, lyrics and mixes, time after time after time?

This is another of my FJ favorites.

Thanks, Mario!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Over My Head - 10/03/18 12:06 PM
A new and updated vintage sound. Janice, Bud and Floyd continue to be a potent combination.
Enjoyed this one from start to finish.

Charlie
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Over My Head - 10/03/18 06:50 PM
Floyd, what a catchy tune! Great work getting such a wonderful sound out of all the realtracks used! I thought I recognized one of the Studio One loops you used here. Those loops in that program are pure gold if you can find the right one buried in there with all the others! Janice's background vocals are so nice, just sitting perfectly in the mix! You just keep knocking out great tunes and this forum community is in awe of your work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/05/18 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very catchy pop rock song, nice arrangement with pleasant loop sounds and great vocals, especially the Janettes, the guitar solo is perfect fit.

Janne

Thanks, Janne.... appreciate that...
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Over My Head - 10/06/18 02:36 AM
Hello, floyd

Very good rock song!
I agree with Robert.
The combination of drums and bass is very powerful.
And the combination of your vocals and Janice's harmonies is much more powerful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: gruverider Re: Over My Head - 10/06/18 04:46 PM
Wonderful pop/country tune! Great hook in the lyric!

much enjoyed!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/07/18 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Janice said she enjoyed singing along with it as much as she did when she recorded her part.

You covered a lot of bases with this one...catchy wonderful melody, older sounds, newer sounds, the fj high bar production stamp and, of course, an engagingly nailed lead vocal.

Given the high fj output it remains remarkable that you NEVER release any filler. Amazing.

J&B

Y'all always add the icing! Janice's harmonies on this are exquisite!!

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: Sundance
What a fun feel good song! Fun to sing along with too. Love the oldie vibe that runs through it and those claps. Add my compliments to your co-writer and the Janettes too. Great job y'all.

Thanks, Josie... appreciate that you stopped by...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/08/18 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this tune Floyd. Has a different feel to it from your last couple tunes. Very cool beat to the song. As always super vocal, lyric and production. And my favorite your guitar is so good. Well done..

Scott - thanks for noting all those different aspects of this...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Catchy tune guys!
Very well done.
I do detect an organ throughout the song, but I don't see it listed anywhere?
Or maybe it's a resonance of a combination of instruments.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. There is no organ - I think that may be some of the guitar loops from Studio One - they are "bell-like" and heavily processed.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Over My Head - 10/08/18 06:50 PM
Deryk, Robert, Peter, Janne, Josie, Kenny, Charlie, Torrey and Shigeki,

Thank ya'll for mentioning the harmony. It was a pleasure, as always, to sing with floyd. Playing a small role in many of his productions has been a musical highlight for me!

Janice
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Over My Head - 10/08/18 07:21 PM
What a tune!!! Fun, catchy, clever! Sharply written and expertly delivered. Gotta love that hook line.... great turn of phrase. Vocal and arrangement are perfect..perfect mix with loads of energy. Wonderful feelgood song!! Another winner Floyd (and Debi!)!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/09/18 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Floyd, loved the swimming/water analogy! Great idea to express the lyric feeling.
Really like the calypso 'ping' sounds in the background, right from the start.
Very tight song all the way around, outstanding lyric, wonderful energy, excellent production!
As usual, a real inspiration to me to work harder, refine more, reach for higher quality.
Thanks Floyd!!

TM - thanks for having a listen and for the fine review...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great song,

I really like the way the melody is written and sang.

An uplifting song with a solid arrangement,

very nice vocals, enjoyed it!

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/10/18 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A new and updated vintage sound. Janice, Bud and Floyd continue to be a potent combination.
Enjoyed this one from start to finish.

Charlie

Thanks, again, Charlie...

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, what a catchy tune! Great work getting such a wonderful sound out of all the realtracks used! I thought I recognized one of the Studio One loops you used here. Those loops in that program are pure gold if you can find the right one buried in there with all the others! Janice's background vocals are so nice, just sitting perfectly in the mix! You just keep knocking out great tunes and this forum community is in awe of your work! Thanks, Torrey

Appreciate all that, Torrey... it does take some time to walk through the Studio One loops to find something that works - but when you do, they are a nice "change of pace" to add something new to the music... And, of course, having Janice along for the ride is always a big plus... thanks, again...

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Very good rock song!
I agree with Robert.
The combination of drums and bass is very powerful.
And the combination of your vocals and Janice's harmonies is much more powerful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thanks for your always nice comments... appreciate it...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Over My Head - 10/11/18 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wonderful pop/country tune! Great hook in the lyric!

much enjoyed!

Thanks for stopping by, Lawrence... looking forward to your next one...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a tune!!! Fun, catchy, clever! Sharply written and expertly delivered. Gotta love that hook line.... great turn of phrase. Vocal and arrangement are perfect..perfect mix with loads of energy. Wonderful feelgood song!! Another winner Floyd (and Debi!)!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - thanks for the very nice review...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Deryk, Robert, Peter, Janne, Josie, Kenny, Charlie, Torrey and Shigeki,

Thank ya'll for mentioning the harmony. It was a pleasure, as always, to sing with floyd. Playing a small role in many of his productions has been a musical highlight for me!

Janice

Janice - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Over My Head - 10/11/18 05:57 PM
Hi, Floyd, Debi, Janice and Bud !:))

Super writing, performing and
mixing as expected when these
masters are at work !!!

Congrats to all !

My new Floydfavourite without
doubt !

Cheers
Dani
© PG Music Forums