PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/28/18 07:47 PM
Tryin'

Tryin’ was one of our earliest co-writes with floyd. Five years ago he used my lyric as a template for teaching the two of us some of the songwriting techniques he had learned over the years. What was to be a bit of a learning exercise became a real musical journey for us as he also suggested the strings, developed the melody, transformed the lyric and sang harmony. Most flattering was that he recorded a guy version of the song smile

The forum was much smaller then and we thought newer folks might like to hear the song so we undertook a complete re-mix that consisted of all new effects on each track and a new mastering chain. We also did considerable work comping new versions of the fiddle and cello track. We doubled the vocal track with new effects to get a bit more presence as it was originally with a USB mic into GarageBand. And floyd offered some great mix counsel.

So huge thanks to floyd for then and now and thanks to those who take the time to listen and comment. We appreciate you!
Lyrics are on the SC page.

The techie stuff

Janice: lead vocal (original track doubled and stacked with differing Nectar 2 custom settings). Recorded via Blue USB mic into GarageBand.

floyd: harmony vocal / whatever the man did

Mandolin: composite of multiple generations of RTs 1875/2033 / Waves CLA Guitar

Guitar: RT 1814 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Cello: composite of multiple generations of RT 1856 / Logic Direction Mixer / Neutron 2 / EMT 140 Plate Reverb simulation

Fiddle: RT 1760 / Waves CLA Unplugged

Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Waves Multi-Band Compressor (LinMB) / Ozone 8 Maximizer (limiter)
Posted By: PeterF Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/28/18 08:05 PM
Janice, Bud & floyd

Well that was simply gorgeous.
Where to start - The vocals and harmony were simply top class (as expected - your voices mesh so well),
beautiful melody, a nice set of lyrics and a wonderful mix. The mandolin was lovely, and all the band sounds great and the overall sound and production was superb.
Master craftsmen at work.

Peter
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/28/18 08:08 PM
Great song, great sound, great singer(s). Tasteful and tasty instrumentation and fills. Production in the goldilocks zone, to my ears. Very, very nice.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/28/18 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice, Bud & floyd

Well that was simply gorgeous.
Where to start - The vocals and harmony were simply top class (as expected - your voices mesh so well),
beautiful melody, a nice set of lyrics and a wonderful mix. The mandolin was lovely, and all the band sounds great and the overall sound and production was superb.
Master craftsmen at work.

Peter

Peter, those kind remarks are much appreciated. Makes us feel like the revisit was a worthwhile project. Thank you!

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/28/18 10:41 PM
The two voices sound perfect together.
Sweet song and sweet arrangement.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/28/18 10:53 PM
Loving it here - everything about this is so beautifully done.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 06:48 AM
Thanks for the repost, I was here back then but wasn't very active so missed it the first time.

First of all a very good song.

And man, those vocals sound fabulous! Two great singers of course, but the vocal treatment is superb. Are you using a bit more reverb than you normally do? I couldn't imagine them possibly sounding better, well done.

Killer job on the production and mix, one of your best IMHO.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 09:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Great song, great sound, great singer(s). Tasteful and tasty instrumentation and fills. Production in the goldilocks zone, to my ears. Very, very nice.

Thank you! This was a fun project then and now. Glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 02:41 PM
That`s such a good melody! Janice & Floyd`s voices are both very " present" so whatever you did on the vocal processing is just right.
I enjoyed everything about this... the combination of cello with country fiddle is unusual and you made it work.
Another gem well worth the new shine you`ve all given it!

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The two voices sound perfect together.
Sweet song and sweet arrangement.

Thanks Ray! They have blended well since day one.

Bud
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 06:28 PM
Wow, this is a very nice piece of music. Wonderful vocals - and the mixing of the music is outstanding good.

Really, really enjoyed this!

Will
Posted By: RnAM Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 07:40 PM
Gorgeous song guys, top pro vocals!
Those multiple takes of the mandolin surely worked out!

Rob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/29/18 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Loving it here - everything about this is so beautifully done.

Great to hear from you! Thanks for the nice words.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/30/18 03:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Thanks for the repost, I was here back then but wasn't very active so missed it the first time.

First of all a very good song.

And man, those vocals sound fabulous! Two great singers of course, but the vocal treatment is superb. Are you using a bit more reverb than you normally do? I couldn't imagine them possibly sounding better, well done.

Killer job on the production and mix, one of your best IMHO.

Thanks Dave. I doubled the track and stacked the two. The top track has my usual amount of reverb while the bottom track amongst other things (one being a little "tape" saturation) adds a bit of delay. Something I've been experimenting with this year. All is added via Nectar 2.

Very glad you liked the production!!

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/30/18 03:50 PM
Fantastic, so nice to hear a perfect arrangement/mix, so simple but still very lush and the cello is distinguishable & nicely panned, something to chase after. Superb vocals. Has modern Irish folk feeling, reminds me of the Corrs.

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/30/18 04:03 PM
Another very nice song from you folks! A tip of the hat to everyone involved! Such a beautiful sound with crystal clear audio quality which is something you always seem to accomplish great performances also! Thanks, T
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/30/18 07:58 PM
Loved your lyric idea, using the idea of trying, so imaginative, and common to everyone...and how you used the repeat of "I'm tryin'" melodically, very, very nice.

I noticed how you kept the chord chart very simple so that all the other elements--melody, vocal, instrumentation, could step forward and not be complicated by tricky changes...a real hallmark of sound composition judgement!

Everything about the track is top-notch! Congrats on a real jewel!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/30/18 08:18 PM
What a great sound! Am I talking about any one instrument, all of the instruments, or vocals? YES! It's clean and GREAT warmth.

I really like the variety of effects which, to me, makes things stand out while maintaining blend! What?! YES! Thank you for "going there" with the effects mix.

I did not hear the original; but I loved what I heard with this.

I will admit, when I first saw that you didn't include the lyrics I was a little bummed that you maybe forgot. Then in listening I was actually made aware of two things.

1-I couldn't read ahead of the melody...which is really nice; and actually pretty natural to how you normally might experience a song.

2-When it's mixed and performed really well, they aren't needed. You can simply understand every word! What a concept.

Vocals...I've got nothin' to say. They speak for themselves. (REALLY great!)

The instrumentation is what I love to hear. VERY present; never in the way. It's orchestrated, arranged and executed well. A really nice job in knowing "when to" and "when not to." It really makes all the difference.

I will stop gushing now.

Tryin'? Ah...no. Succeeded!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 09/30/18 08:32 PM
What cool intro. Such a pretty vocal and harmony. Super collaboration. Production is first class. Just a lovely song...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/01/18 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
That`s such a good melody! Janice & Floyd`s voices are both very " present" so whatever you did on the vocal processing is just right.
I enjoyed everything about this... the combination of cello with country fiddle is unusual and you made it work.
Another gem well worth the new shine you`ve all given it!

Robert

Thank you Robert. We also appreciate you mentioning the fiddle. I had originally something with more of a formal violin sound but could get it to work.

J&B
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/01/18 03:27 PM
J&B,

Absolutely wonderful throughout!

I would like permission to submit it for airplay in London and New Zealand. If you agree, just PM me with a mp3 copy.

They are playing my far less professional-sounding stuff. There is no money involved but the exposure is priceless.

The queue is quite long, probably 3-4 weeks to schedule it. I'll be sure to tell you when it is scheduled. It will stream in FM.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/02/18 08:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wow, this is a very nice piece of music. Wonderful vocals - and the mixing of the music is outstanding good.

Really, really enjoyed this!

Will

Thank you Will!

J&B
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/02/18 10:17 AM
Janice & Bud,

I'm glad you re-posted this jewel. I love every part of it, but I again have to mention, that, Janice, you got a heck of a voice. A very well-written song, sung and played with so much feeling. Just great !
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/02/18 12:19 PM
Thanks for letting me join in on this!

Y'all are the best.

The new mix sounds awesome.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/02/18 01:48 PM
super write!

gorgeous melody and awesome vocals

a great collab from 3 of the best,

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/03/18 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Gorgeous song guys, top pro vocals!
Those multiple takes of the mandolin surely worked out!

Rob

Thanks Rob...glad you liked the vocals and the mando!!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/04/18 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Fantastic, so nice to hear a perfect arrangement/mix, so simple but still very lush and the cello is distinguishable & nicely panned, something to chase after. Superb vocals. Has modern Irish folk feeling, reminds me of the Corrs.

Janne

Thanks Janne. We appreciate your comments about the mix and the vocals. We'll check out the Corrs.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/06/18 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Another very nice song from you folks! A tip of the hat to everyone involved! Such a beautiful sound with crystal clear audio quality which is something you always seem to accomplish great performances also! Thanks, T

We appreciate you mentioning both the production and the performance!

It was a fun revisit.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Loved your lyric idea, using the idea of trying, so imaginative, and common to everyone...and how you used the repeat of "I'm tryin'" melodically, very, very nice.

I noticed how you kept the chord chart very simple so that all the other elements--melody, vocal, instrumentation, could step forward and not be complicated by tricky changes...a real hallmark of sound composition judgement!

Everything about the track is top-notch! Congrats on a real jewel!

Thank you for the nice review. And, yes, we are typically all about simplicity in our productions. The result can be either boring or effective and we are happy that you felt it worked!

J&B
Posted By: gruverider Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/06/18 04:29 PM

So well written and sung. Languid, melancholy and overflowing with heart.

And the production fit it perfectly.

So glad you brought this beautiful song back!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/06/18 09:02 PM
The cello was a wonderful touch.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/07/18 06:21 PM
Thanks to all who mentioned those things I was involved in... smile

And again, thanks to J&B - for being who they are...

Hello,

I've been far for some months and when I return....here's a great song from J&B & Floyd.
Excellent music and melody as usual. Great feeling in the sound.

Super listening.
Sergio
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/08/18 03:35 PM
Beautiful song!! Don't remember hearing it..maybe before I was on the forum? Really nice, well-constructed, mixed,and of course sung. THanks for posting again!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/09/18 08:48 PM
Janice and Bud,

This is superb listening. I love the clarity of the mix and how everything shines and sparkles with the sound of professional.

When I first heard it, I immediately made a note because this is a mix that I will be revisiting when I want get ideas on how to add production quality to my own work.

This is a terrific song that the both of you and floyd have created. And when Janice sings it's impossible to hit 'stop' until it finishes.

I enjoyed this a great deal.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/09/18 09:20 PM

Man!

I swear I remember writing something on this weeks ago! What happened?

Maybe a hurricane or something.

Anyway, this is great, I love this y'all. Just in time for another hurricane I guess.

smile

Wonderful production.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/11/18 11:45 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
What a great sound! Am I talking about any one instrument, all of the instruments, or vocals? YES! It's clean and GREAT warmth.

I really like the variety of effects which, to me, makes things stand out while maintaining blend! What?! YES! Thank you for "going there" with the effects mix.

I did not hear the original; but I loved what I heard with this.

I will admit, when I first saw that you didn't include the lyrics I was a little bummed that you maybe forgot. Then in listening I was actually made aware of two things.

1-I couldn't read ahead of the melody...which is really nice; and actually pretty natural to how you normally might experience a song.

2-When it's mixed and performed really well, they aren't needed. You can simply understand every word! What a concept.

Vocals...I've got nothin' to say. They speak for themselves. (REALLY great!)

The instrumentation is what I love to hear. VERY present; never in the way. It's orchestrated, arranged and executed well. A really nice job in knowing "when to" and "when not to." It really makes all the difference.

I will stop gushing now.

Tryin'? Ah...no. Succeeded!

Dang man, you make us feel like we know what we are doing! Something we frequently doubt smile

Not only are we very grateful for the wonderful review but also for you taking the time to respond in detail. That means a lot!

"Clean and warm" is our goal on this type of production and we much appreciate you noting it. Sometimes things seem to fall into place with objective...but not always. It's that notion of improving by having nothing left to take away rather than nothing left to add.

Thanks!!!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/13/18 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What cool intro. Such a pretty vocal and harmony. Super collaboration. Production is first class. Just a lovely song...

Thanks Scott!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
J&B,

Absolutely wonderful throughout!

I would like permission to submit it for airplay in London and New Zealand. If you agree, just PM me with a mp3 copy.

They are playing my far less professional-sounding stuff. There is no money involved but the exposure is priceless.

The queue is quite long, probably 3-4 weeks to schedule it. I'll be sure to tell you when it is scheduled. It will stream in FM.

Thanks for your kind words and having enough confidence in our production to submit it. We appreciate it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Janice & Bud,

I'm glad you re-posted this jewel. I love every part of it, but I again have to mention, that, Janice, you got a heck of a voice. A very well-written song, sung and played with so much feeling. Just great !

Thanks! I very much appreciate you saying that about my vocal. That makes it all the more fun!

Janice

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
super write!

gorgeous melody and awesome vocals

a great collab from 3 of the best,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny...we love your new one!

J&B

Originally Posted By: gruverider

So well written and sung. Languid, melancholy and overflowing with heart.

And the production fit it perfectly.

So glad you brought this beautiful song back!

Your description was very meaningful to us. Makes it all worthwhile! Heart and soul is what we strive for.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/15/18 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
The cello was a wonderful touch.

Thanks Don! The Waves CLA Unplugged really warmed it up.

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hello,

I've been far for some months and when I return....here's a great song from J&B & Floyd.
Excellent music and melody as usual. Great feeling in the sound.

Super listening.
Sergio

Thanks Sergio and we're glad you are back!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Beautiful song!! Don't remember hearing it..maybe before I was on the forum? Really nice, well-constructed, mixed,and of course sung. THanks for posting again!! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg!

J&B

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Man!

I swear I remember writing something on this weeks ago! What happened?

Maybe a hurricane or something.

Anyway, this is great, I love this y'all. Just in time for another hurricane I guess.

smile

Wonderful production.

We appreciate you David!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/22/18 01:42 PM
Janice, Bud & Floyd,

This is stunning and beautiful...

A great song and vocal by Janice - the clarity of the mix is astounding.

Yes, I can absolutely hear this coming through my car radio...

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/24/18 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Floyd,

This is stunning and beautiful...

A great song and vocal by Janice - the clarity of the mix is astounding.

Yes, I can absolutely hear this coming through my car radio...

Bob

Thank you Bob and we appreciate you mentioning the mix!

J&B
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/29/18 03:26 AM
Janice, Bud & floyd,

Beautiful song!
Very melodic.
Vocals and harmonies are superb.
I love this mandolin a lot.
The cover photo, the mixing and mastering are very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Tryin' (co-write with floyd jane) - 10/29/18 12:03 PM
Cool everything! This just so cool any way you want to look at it. I'm still mesmerized and don't want to leave there, It's a damned good song! Many kudos to all concerned.

Alan
© PG Music Forums