PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 06:38 AM
If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix

Been away for couple of weeks - Di in the hospital again. Will listen to as many new posts as I can over the next few days.

First, I realize "Tear Drops" should be one word - "Teardrops". But when I registered it at BMI, I let my brain take a break and entered the title as Tear Drops, so I'm leaving it that way. DUH!

We posted this about a year ago and asked for comments to improve it. Floyd suggested the original vocal was too bright (too much treble), somewhat diminishing the vocal sound typical of the era. Although I didn't redo the vocal, per se, I worked it over pretty good. I took off quite a bit of the high EQ, added a small amount of lower-mids and pulled it back very, very slightly in the mix. I also trimmed the vocal reverb to almost nothing. He told me to leave the horns as they were and work on the vocal. The only thing I did, instrument wise, was add a little more bottom to the acoustic bass. I left everything else as I originally recorded it. Let me know what you think. And thanks in advance.

Alan

Here were Floyd's comments on the original:

This is really well done. Quite special.
You did a GREAT job of using the horns to create the sound of the era.
The write also does a good job of "being of the era".

A couple of things struck my as somewhat "outside" the era. Your vocal (which is quite good, btw) is "too bright" for that time - vocals of the era never had that high end (which makes this stand out as being "modern recording"). The other is the word "cents"...I think it would feel much more "authentic" if it were "a hundred pennies".

Really enjoyed this. Great job!

fj

File:If Tear Drops Were Dollars.SGU
Key=Bb , Tempo 116, Length (m:s)=3:43
Style is _JAZFRED.STY (Jazz Fred w/ Piano)

RealTracks in style: ~~768:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~~771:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~~938:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzFreddie Sw 110
RealTracks in song: 2633:Horn Section, Background JazzBallad2PartJack Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2593:Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand9-Part Sw 110
RealDrums in style: JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier

If Teardrops Were Dollars
© 2017 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Randall, BMI

(v1)
If teardrops were dollars
I’d be the world’s richest man
I could buy New York City
And maybe even Amsterdam
But since the day I left you
I stand on shifting sand
I was a fool to let you go
Now I hold the pauper’s hand

CHORUS
If teardrops were dollars, I wouldn’t have a care
I’d buy a magic potion that would dry my misty air
But my tears ain’t turned to money, so I have this cross to bear
Yes if teardrops were dollars, I’d be a millionaire

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

CHORUS

(v2)
If I had a hundred cents
For every tear I’ve cried
I’d drive a brand new Cadillac
And drink water purified
I’d buy a fancy penthouse
Yet not be satisfied
I’ll never want to smile again
Without you by my side

REPEAT CHORUS

Posted By: Scott C Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 09:51 AM
This is so smooth Alan. Loved this piece. Reminds me of a Sinatra so. Such a excellent vocal. Super back track. Well done. Very cool lyric
Posted By: Crossroads Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 11:53 AM
Al-David,

what the heck is this? AMAZING !!!!

Closed my eyes and felt like sitting in a 40s ball-room. And yes, after the song had finished I felt very much like having the singer drink on me for the rest of the night.

Loved the lyrics, melody, arrangement and the way you're using BB.

Very very nice.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 12:49 PM
Alan,

Super. You'd give Frank a run for his money.

fj
Posted By: Noel96 Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 01:00 PM
Alan,

This is excellent. It's nearly 3:00 am here in Melbourne right now and your singing and this fantastic backing track is a perfect fit for this time of day! I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this composition. I love what you've done with the vocals. You've created a crooner's edge to the sound now and in my headphones, it's a really great fit with the big band backing. The chord progression you've used is outstanding (as your chord progressions always seem to be).

More superb music from a master craftsman!

Please say 'Hi' to Di and let her know that I'm still bombarding the two of you with healing thoughts.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 07:25 PM
Sounds great Al!! I think I heard the original version. It is an excellent tune....authentic feel with a catchy melody and wonderful lyric. Love that era, and this song fits right in the pocket!! Take care. Greg
Tear Drops or Teardrops! Doesn't matter, the song is still fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: rayc Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/08/18 08:14 PM
The modification of the vocal worked really well - it lessened the essing as well.
The only other thing I'd suggest is using ReaTune or similar to smooth the vibrato or increase it either would work.
Wow - this is incredible! It sounds so lush and professional. The swingin' groove in this is superb, and your vocals are top notch. It really sounds like an old school crooner tune from the 50's/60's. You totally nailed it.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/09/18 05:26 PM
Croonin' and swingin'

Right in our wheelhouse.

Nice to revisit this and enjoy it again!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/09/18 06:43 PM
Alan

Nice to hear this again. One of the best uses of this style I've heard.
Excellent.

Peter
Posted By: Robertkc Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/09/18 07:08 PM
Al,
Very, very good use of the style. I remember the original and its improved here. You sound right at home: crooner smooth, sir!

Robert
Posted By: Tangmo Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/09/18 07:38 PM
The world turned a beautiful nuanced black-and-white listening to this. Much enjoyed.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/11/18 12:29 AM
This is so cool!

Everything sounds great, nice write and melody

nice mix too,

enjoyed,

Kenny
Posted By: Al-David Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/12/18 04:35 AM
A really big "Thank You!" to all who have left a comment. I sure do appreciate all those kind words. Would reply individually, but don't have the time at the moment. Please know I've read each and every one of the. Ya'll make an old guy smile - thank God wrinkles don't hurt!

Again, many thanks to each of you. Wishing all of you the very best.

Alan

PS: Di told me to say "Hi" to all and thanks for your warm thoughts. I echo her sentiments.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/12/18 03:33 PM
Wow did you ever do a great job on this one Alan! Your mix is superb and those instruments really pop and the vocal is great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: dani48 Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/12/18 07:00 PM
Hi, Al !:))

I love this piece Al !
It has a wholeness that
sooths my ears immensely !!
I just love those big band
brass sounds and your singing
is as fine as ever !

Super ! One of your best !!!

Cheers
Dani
Hello, Alan

Nice to hear this again.
I feel again this is entirely a song of Sinatra with Nelson Riddle orchestra.
Really nice use of this style.
I tried listening to the previous version as well.
I am also always puzzled very much about the depth of reverb and how to apply EQ, so I could not judge which is better.
But, enjoyed my listen a lot again this time.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/14/18 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wow did you ever do a great job on this one Alan! Your mix is superb and those instruments really pop and the vocal is great! Thanks, Torrey

Thank you, Torrey. I worked on this remix pretty hard. Glad it turned out okay. Thanks for the input and kind words.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/14/18 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al !:))

I love this piece Al !
It has a wholeness that
sooths my ears immensely !!
I just love those big band
brass sounds and your singing
is as fine as ever !

Super ! One of your best !!!

Cheers
Dani

Dani!

Thanks so much. I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Wishing you the very best.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/14/18 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

Nice to hear this again.
I feel again this is entirely a song of Sinatra with Nelson Riddle orchestra.
Really nice use of this style.
I tried listening to the previous version as well.
I am also always puzzled very much about the depth of reverb and how to apply EQ, so I could not judge which is better.
But, enjoyed my listen a lot again this time.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,

I like the Nelson Ridder comment - hadn't thought of that but think you might be right. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm still learning a lot about mixing, too! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: JimClark Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/29/18 07:18 PM
I don't check in too often, so just heard this. I smile every time I hear my horn sections used in fun, creative ways! Good job Alan & Di!
Jim Clark
Posted By: Al-David Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/29/18 07:36 PM
Originally Posted By: JimClark
I don't check in too often, so just heard this. I smile every time I hear my horn sections used in fun, creative ways! Good job Alan & Di!
Jim Clark

Hello Jim,

So very nice to hear from you! Thank you for the kind words. Your tracks have added so many good options for those of us who sometimes create songs needing a good horn section, They're really great - thank you for providing your talent to the astonishing PG Music collection . Wishing you well.

ALan
Posted By: cubanpete Re: If Tear Drops Were Dollars - Remix - 10/29/18 09:54 PM
Oh well Alan, as you know this is my kind of music. Background tracks are superbly well put together and vocals are great.

Mike. B.
© PG Music Forums