PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/10/18 02:07 PM
Blessed Assurance (PD ) (BIAB Backiing track)

(Starts at 00:18:00)
A preview of The Campfire Set, in progress, twelve PD hymnal
Band-in-a-Box backing tracks using the new (to me) Campfire
style of 2018 version of Band-in-a-Box.
Posted By: rayc Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/10/18 09:49 PM
I'm not sure if you're aware that there're 19 seconds of silence and a truncated rim shot before the music begins.
I almost gave up.
I don't know the song so the progression and minimalist arrangement didn't work for me. I'm sure, if I knew the melody & lyrics, that I'd have been more engaged.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/10/18 10:27 PM
Thanks for the listen and the constructive comments.
The 18 delay should not have happened. It was an oversight in bouncing. This Audio Mack is something new for me & I neglected to notice there is no trim edit on the sight.
The edges were taken off with Sony EQ in Reaper. The reason is this is a rehearsal guide for a presentation that will have a campfire feel to it after the instruments and vocals are added. I wanted kind of an unobtrusive, even muffled, sound, which I see as the essence of the strummed six and twelve strings.

Posted By: Scott C Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/11/18 08:38 PM
Going to be a great song Ed. Look forward to the finished version..
Posted By: edshaw Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/12/18 08:48 AM
Thank you, Scott.
This goes back to a comment made a few years ago that she was reminded of her father, when he used to sing hymns to her when she was a little girl. That stuck with me. When 2018 came out, with the Campfire style, I thought, maybe this is it. We'll see.
One thing about campfire guitar, it does cut through. I thought softening those edges might help. Now, on to vocals, or is it melody guitar?
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/12/18 09:23 AM
Like Scott, I’m interested in hearing the completed composition… I like the strumming guitars as a backing!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/12/18 11:47 AM

I like the sound here Ed!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/12/18 12:25 PM
Like Scott, I’m interested in hearing the completed composition… I like the strumming guitars as a backing!!

Me too I think this would be a great platform for a great song,
Posted By: edshaw Re: Blessed Assurance (and some notes) - 10/12/18 01:47 PM
Thanks, fellows. Bouncing and tweaking as we go along.
Note: One thing that makes the guitar such a favorite for folk and sing along, which is, after all, what congregational singing really amounts to, is that it can be heard through just about anything, even unamplified. It is a treble instrument The open E is second octave above middle C.
For my purposes, working with small groups of youth, we need something that sets the style, teaches the song, and can eventually be replaced by a live rhythm player, or continue to be used. The performers like hqving their own backing tracks at home.
I had to get into that Reaper Sony EQ effect and trial and error the sliders until the edge was taken off the top and the bass was brought under control. As we all know, tracks produced in one platform don't necessarily sound what we'd expect on the next.
I wanted to run this by you all. Thanks for your patience. Decided to lay in the vocals next for this 12 song Christian Camp Fire set.

© PG Music Forums