PG Music Home
Posted By: gruverider Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 11:00 AM
Not Another Sound

I'm not quite sure what I have here nor how I got here with this Tune, but here it is ...

RealDrums: Jazz TerryClarke
2128 Acoustic Bass
454 Acoustic Piano Solo
2198 Electric Piano
plus my writing for midi piano and Bass
and various sound effects

Not Another Sound (9-17-2018)

When you’re around
there’s not another sound I want to hear my Dear

Your smile loud as laughter
Your gaze a singing jay
Your voice a maestro dancing ‘cross some yellowed Ivory

A treat delicious you are the sweetest thing around
My Dear you are like peaches And I hear not another sound

When you’re around
there’s not another sound I want to hear my Dear

Your sigh so gracious
You yawn in Harmony
Your moan a Diva breaking down some complex melody
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 11:15 AM
Man, how cool was that?!

Great groove and I love the vocal delivery, just so smooth and laid back. Piano is killer!

Some great lines, "Your sigh so gracious, you yawn in Harmony" is my favorite.

I thought the sound effects took away from the song somewhat, worked well in the intro but might be better to tone them down a bit during the vocal?

But just my opinion and I could be wrong wink Overall I very much enjoyed this one.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 05:53 PM
Wow, this has the unsettling effect of watching two movies playing at the same time.Like the night clubby cool romance of the song is
about to be interrupted by those street disturbances... and barking dogs!
Its very creative and original -I need to listen again to get over the surprises.
Your vocal phrasing is a lesson and I enjoyed the groove and sophistication in the lyrics.

Robert
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 06:08 PM
It's like Frank Sinatra, Mel Tormé, Tom Waits and Frank Zappa got together and one of the Franks said "Hey! Let's write something!" (likely the other one said "Okay. Let me get a drink first.")

I've never describe anything on this forum as avant garde - but this surely fits the bill.

Nice to hear you do a cool-jazzy vocal. Cool Soul. Super!

Awesome production. Excellent mix.

A great listen. Going back for a third helping...

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 06:12 PM
Lawrence

Amazing and one of the most interesting songs I've heard for a long time - (loved floyd's review). Stunning work great vocal and imaginative!
Going back again as well.

Peter
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 08:21 PM
Stunning!

Salvador Dali portraying Sinatra.

Got to listen again!

Will
Posted By: dani48 Re: Not Another Sound - 10/14/18 09:02 PM
Hi, Lawrence !:))

This was something
completely different
and so superbly
performed as only
you can produce !:))

WOW ! is a fitting
word for this gem !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Not Another Sound - 10/15/18 10:20 AM
Wow - what a tune! It's just a unique take on the classic crooner tune. The groove is incredible and had my toe tapping from the get go, and the way all those instruments work together is fantastic, albeit almost dizzying. A really interesting listen for sure. It reminds me sort of a toned down "Trout Mask Replica" (the Captain Beefheart album).

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Not Another Sound - 10/15/18 11:21 AM
Love all the sound effects and the cool crooner sound. Very interesting. Another great one by you.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Not Another Sound - 10/15/18 12:32 PM
Man, how many sides do you have with your vocal chops?

Multiple genres, genre mashups and you NEVER miss a step.

Love what floyd said about the "Franks!"

Janice thought it a bit of Harry Connick, Jr. channeling!

We like all the sounds...hard now to imagine it w/o them.

Absolutely one of the year's top posts.

The entire production, vocal performance and midi work is sophisticated, classy and cool!!!

Wow.

J&B

PS "Hard to get outa the head" line: "Your voice a maestro dancing ‘cross some yellowed Ivory"

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Not Another Sound - 10/15/18 07:11 PM
WOW!! LOVE IT!!!! It has a great moody city feel. Should be in a film soundtrack. Great job putting this together. It has tons of character and personality! A true gem!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Not Another Sound - 10/16/18 12:40 AM
very cool,

Van may be jealous!

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not Another Sound - 10/16/18 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, how cool was that?!

Great groove and I love the vocal delivery, just so smooth and laid back. Piano is killer!

Some great lines, "Your sigh so gracious, you yawn in Harmony" is my favorite.

I thought the sound effects took away from the song somewhat, worked well in the intro but might be better to tone them down a bit during the vocal?

But just my opinion and I could be wrong wink Overall I very much enjoyed this one.
Thank you for the kind comments and the feedback. I took it to heart and I agreed and pulled some of the effects back a touch in the vocal part of the song.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Wow, this has the unsettling effect of watching two movies playing at the same time.Like the night clubby cool romance of the song is
about to be interrupted by those street disturbances... and barking dogs!
Its very creative and original -I need to listen again to get over the surprises.
Your vocal phrasing is a lesson and I enjoyed the groove and sophistication in the lyrics.

Robert
Thank you Robert. I did set it up like a scene in a film. The Singer steps off a train and walks past a dog to get to the concert where he can hear the crowd cheering. As he approaches the stage the drummer starts and then the band joins in. He takes the mic and sings. Finally after the song is over the band goes to a restaurant to chill.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Not Another Sound - 10/17/18 11:03 AM
Wow Lawrence was this a cool tune. That intro was so neat. I have all kinds of images playing in my head when listening. Super vocal. The drums, those bass runs and piano. Wow. Very cool indeed..
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Not Another Sound - 10/18/18 09:45 AM
Wow! That was a wild ride! So creative, and way out there...I loved it! I’m not even sure what some of the sound effects were supposed to be but you’re weird lyrics that you placed over the Nervous Jazz beat gave the whole thing a very strange but seductive vibe. I feel this is the result of very open-minded creative “sound” composition and the result was interesting, curious, Funny, but at the same time very high-quality. it’s something I want to listen to again. Kudos on the great work, man!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Not Another Sound - 10/18/18 04:40 PM
Man that was swingin’!! Lawrence, this is a fantastic offering from you!! The vocal fits that jazz backtrack perfectly! You always produce such high quality work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not Another Sound - 10/18/18 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
It's like Frank Sinatra, Mel Tormé, Tom Waits and Frank Zappa got together and one of the Franks said "Hey! Let's write something!" (likely the other one said "Okay. Let me get a drink first.")

I've never describe anything on this forum as avant garde - but this surely fits the bill.

Nice to hear you do a cool-jazzy vocal. Cool Soul. Super!

Awesome production. Excellent mix.

A great listen. Going back for a third helping...

fj
Thank you Floyd. The image of those guys together, wow! Thank you.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lawrence

Amazing and one of the most interesting songs I've heard for a long time - (loved floyd's review). Stunning work great vocal and imaginative!
Going back again as well.

Peter
Peter, thank you and I'm glad it seems to have all come together.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Stunning!

Salvador Dali portraying Sinatra.

Got to listen again!

Will
Will, thank you very much. I'm happy to hear it has a visual component to it.

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Lawrence !:))

This was something
completely different
and so superbly
performed as only
you can produce !:))

WOW ! is a fitting
word for this gem !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Dani, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Not Another Sound - 10/22/18 01:37 PM
Lawrence,

There are not enough good things to say about this song...

You are a true artist and visionary...

Love everything about this.

Bob
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Not Another Sound - 10/22/18 02:55 PM
I love everything about this song. There is so much going on here, but it all meshes well. Great singing.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not Another Sound - 10/24/18 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune! It's just a unique take on the classic crooner tune. The groove is incredible and had my toe tapping from the get go, and the way all those instruments work together is fantastic, albeit almost dizzying. A really interesting listen for sure. It reminds me sort of a toned down "Trout Mask Replica" (the Captain Beefheart album).

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Thank you Deryk. I'm a big fan of "Trout Mask Replica".

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Love all the sound effects and the cool crooner sound. Very interesting. Another great one by you.
Thank you very much Belladonna.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, how many sides do you have with your vocal chops?

Multiple genres, genre mashups and you NEVER miss a step.

Love what floyd said about the "Franks!"

Janice thought it a bit of Harry Connick, Jr. channeling!

We like all the sounds...hard now to imagine it w/o them.

Absolutely one of the year's top posts.

The entire production, vocal performance and midi work is sophisticated, classy and cool!!!

Wow.

J&B

PS "Hard to get outa the head" line: "Your voice a maestro dancing ‘cross some yellowed Ivory"

Thank you J&B. You are always generous and encouraging with your comments. It is always appreciated.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not Another Sound - 10/24/18 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!! LOVE IT!!!! It has a great moody city feel. Should be in a film soundtrack. Great job putting this together. It has tons of character and personality! A true gem!!! Take care. Greg
Greg, thank you! Really glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
very cool,

Van may be jealous!

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Thank you Kenny. I'm a big fan of the Van.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow Lawrence was this a cool tune. That intro was so neat. I have all kinds of images playing in my head when listening. Super vocal. The drums, those bass runs and piano. Wow. Very cool indeed..

Scott, glad to hear it engaged you. Thank you.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Not Another Sound - 10/24/18 11:05 PM
Great lines. "You're yawn is harmony". Now that's a love line.

Love the jazz vocal, progression, groove and vamping. Artful production as well. Really enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Not Another Sound - 10/26/18 04:17 PM
Very cool.
Love Fx. Busy, yet within grasp of attention.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not Another Sound - 10/27/18 12:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Wow! That was a wild ride! So creative, and way out there...I loved it! I’m not even sure what some of the sound effects were supposed to be but you’re weird lyrics that you placed over the Nervous Jazz beat gave the whole thing a very strange but seductive vibe. I feel this is the result of very open-minded creative “sound” composition and the result was interesting, curious, Funny, but at the same time very high-quality. it’s something I want to listen to again. Kudos on the great work, man!
Thank you very much! I am so glad that you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Man that was swingin’!! Lawrence, this is a fantastic offering from you!! The vocal fits that jazz backtrack perfectly! You always produce such high quality work! Thanks, Torrey
Torrey, thank you. I always enjoy you're songs too.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Lawrence,

There are not enough good things to say about this song...

You are a true artist and visionary...

Love everything about this.

Bob
Thank you Bob. That's very generous and kind of you to say.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I love everything about this song. There is so much going on here, but it all meshes well. Great singing.
Thank you very much. I'm happy to hear it that it all came together. It did seem at times that it might go off the rails.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Not Another Sound - 10/28/18 01:30 AM
Hi Lawrence,

Holy crap - is this blistering good, or what? Busy but not cluttered - not at all easy to do. Totally vamp! Your vocal chops smooth over this like butter on hot bread. Your voicing reminds me a bit of Vic Damone. If you're anywhere close to my age, you might remember him!!

This is one of the coolest songs posted on the forum in quite some time. I've missed a few, but I'm willing to bet this ranks at or near the top for creativity, uniqueness and delivery. A tip of the hat and tons of kudos headed your way.

Alan
Posted By: gruverider Re: Not Another Sound - 10/29/18 02:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Great lines. "You're yawn is harmony". Now that's a love line.

Love the jazz vocal, progression, groove and vamping. Artful production as well. Really enjoyed the listen.
Tangmo, thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Very cool.
Love Fx. Busy, yet within grasp of attention.
Thank you. It was a delicate balance all the way.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Lawrence,

Holy crap - is this blistering good, or what? Busy but not cluttered - not at all easy to do. Totally vamp! Your vocal chops smooth over this like butter on hot bread. Your voicing reminds me a bit of Vic Damone. If you're anywhere close to my age, you might remember him!!

This is one of the coolest songs posted on the forum in quite some time. I've missed a few, but I'm willing to bet this ranks at or near the top for creativity, uniqueness and delivery. A tip of the hat and tons of kudos headed your way.

Alan
Alan, so glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Not Another Sound - 11/04/18 02:04 AM
Lawrence,

Very nice jazz song!
It is very bluesy.
And your vocal is splendid.
I agree with floyd.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Not Another Sound - 11/04/18 04:00 AM
Lawrence,

I've got to agree with Dave when he says...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, how cool was that?!

I love the sound and vibe of the jazz that you've created here. It's sophisticated, involving and really inventive. Excellent work!

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: bluage Re: Not Another Sound - 11/04/18 06:40 AM
"gruverider"...

Let me guess: the background sounds represented the sounds that you weren't hearing because of your rapturous, single-minded infatuation with "My Dear" ???

Regardless, "Not Another Sound" has got a big, propulsive "Cadillac drive" going down in the rhythm section that swings like a hipster's snapping fingers, a bass line that plots its course like it knows where it's going, and a jangling acoustic piano that leaps and lopes all around the beat cool.

I dig the brief, mysterious, icy-sounding effects. Strings? Synth?. Your lyrics possess the cleverly improvisational stylings of the late Ken Nordine's "Word Jazz" performances. Just goes to show you what you can come up with when you put on your jazz-colored eyeglasses laugh !!!

Like, wild, baby!

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")
© PG Music Forums