PG Music Home
Hi, all! I have good news...

As you may know, I was diagnosed recently with Bilateral Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss - a rare condition where one suddenly loses their hearing. After many weeks of not being able to hear, I woke up a couple days ago, and my hearing had returned. I want to give God the glory! I thank God for doctors and medicine, and all that we can do to take care of ourselves. Whether it was medicine, or a miracle, I thank God for my hearing, either way. I wanted to celebrate by recreating a song I wrote last year about the importance, impact, and power of music in our lives. I redid the mix from scratch with my "new" ears. This mix was done in Harrison Mixbus 32c, an awesome analog model of the great Harrison console used in so many famous albums.

AFTER THE SUNSET - REMIX

AFTER THE SUNSET - REMIX - SOUNDCLOUD

The guitar and bass are Realtracks. I played the piano and all the orchestration parts, using EastWest sounds.

I want to thank ALL of you for your wonderful words of encouragement, and all your prayers for me during this difficult time. You are so appreciated!

I've been extremely busy, between trying to keep up at work, and doctor visits. I hope to get caught soon, so I can get caught up with listening to the great songs that I know are being posted here. Thanks for your patience with me.

God's blessings to all of you!

Steve
First of all, great that you have your hearing back!

I think it's something that we take for granted, but man, I can't even imagine not being able to hear music anymore! Not to mention not being able to hear my grandkids, etc. So very happy for you!

And, what a beautiful song! Very powerful words and heartfelt, emotive vocals. Track sounds great also, love the piano and perfect choice of backing tracks.

Very much enjoyed the listen.
Glad to know you have you hearing back, Steve.

Beautiful song. Nice piano and orchestration. Lovely vocal. Excellent mix. All hallmarks of a Steve Young post.

fj
Steve,

Lovely song- the optimistic feelings expressed in words and music are more real learning of your difficulties.
Your vocals are always as warm and present as can be and they are the highlight of this for me.
Wishing you well.

Robert
Posted By: RnAM Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/20/18 04:30 PM
We're so sorry to read about your hearing problem, Steve.
But we're glad to hear that things go well now.

Super production with vocals only you can produce. They are among the best on this forum.

That EastWest piano sounds great BTW.

All the best,

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: PeterF Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/20/18 07:30 PM
Steve

Great news about your hearing.
Beautiful song - wonderful vocal and lovely playing.
A superb composition.

Peter
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/20/18 08:15 PM
That is one truly beautiful progression. A great POV lyric, sung with emotion. Loved it. I was away from music for several years--second time I've done that--and am increasingly excited about re-introducing myself to my old friend. Thanks for this.
Posted By: furry Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/20/18 08:32 PM
Steve, this song really tugged at mt heart strings. Beautifully arranged and a song I'd be really proud of. I would dearly love to hear the Collingsworth family doing this. It's one of the loveliest songs I've heard in a long time. I've actually listed about 3 times it's so darned good
Glad to learn your hearing has recovered!

This sounds very nice and really well balanced. I quite enjoyed the mix of timbres and the use of piano. Fantastic work, thanks for sharing!
So glad you are able to hear again. Beautiful song and vocal.
Well done..
What a blessing for your hearing to return. Enjoyed the song.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/21/18 02:48 PM
So glad that you've recovered,

this is a beautiful song

can't keep a Texan down

love the piano and the whole mix

a very nice progression

Kenny
Praise God! Steve that is wonderful news.

Beautiful moving song in every way.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/22/18 06:56 AM
Hi Steve,

It's wonderful to read that your hearing has returned. In so many ways, miracles and medicine seem to walk hand in hand these days.

This is such a beautiful song. I really like the EastWest piano and your playing is a perfect fit.

I don't know why exactly, but "After The Sunset" made me think of the song "I Can Only Imagine" by Mercy Me... equally powerful and equally inspiring to listen to. You really do have a gift for writing, arranging and presenting.

May good things continue to bless you.

All the best,
Noel
It's awesome to hear about your recovery! Congrats smile

The tune is really beautiful, Steve smile It sounds sincere and heartfelt, and your vocal performance is stunning. You should be really proud of this one!

Thanks for sharing - can't wait to hear the next one!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/22/18 01:17 PM
Steve,

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better...

This song is just so beautiful and tender. No one delivers this kind of material the way you do.

Really stunning in delivery and production.

Bob
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/22/18 03:01 PM
Stephen,

This is a pretty tune with some touching lyrics, and well-sung. Really well done. Those “new” ears are working just fine. Best wishes that they stay exactly that way and will look forward to hearing more of what they hear.

All the best to you,

Deej
Steve, indeed to God be the glory for your blessing of hearing again! This song I feel is one of the best songs ever posted here! Your vocal is so very good along with the instrumentation and production (all flawless as far as can tell). I always knew that your vocal reminded me of someone and today it dawned on me who it was....the great Charlie Rich. That's a huge compliment by the way! It's so good to know that you are getting back in the swing of things! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: dcuny Re: Hearing again! New mix - After The Sunset - 10/24/18 12:14 AM
Wow. laugh

But the important stuff first - I'm so glad you're doing better. Miracle or medicine, the result is the same - every good and perfect gift is from above.

And happily, your gift of hearing is a gift to us as well.

Anyway, excellent work - singing, writing, orchestration. The cello was especially nice - I would have sworn it to be a RealTrack.

I really don't know how you find the time to do this, but I'm happy do you!
This is a great mix and a great write and vocal. Every track has its place and it sounds perfect on our monitors.

The vocal sits perfectly and the entire sonic stage has the open, airy feel that the two of us so like.

We both wish you the best with hopes that the remission continues and continues.

Well done!

J&B
Steve,

Glad to know you have you hearing back.
That's more than anything else.
I agree with Noel.
This is such a beautiful song. I really like the EastWest piano and your playing is a perfect fit.
And also I like other Eastwest sounds.
I am a huge fan of Eastwest instruments since Kontakt version.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Hi Steve,

I missed the news about your hearing loss as I was absent from the site for several weeks. I am so happy your hearing has returned. Miracle or medicine - are perhaps one is because of the other - could be!

And what a wonderful treat this is - simply gorgeous. As Torrey commented, this is a similarity of your vocals to those of Charlie Rich - he has a little more rasp, but other than that, pretty close!

Hopefully your remission remains permanent. God Bless.

Alan
That's wonderful news, Steve. I'm so pleased for you. It must have been extremely alarming to say the very least.
This song has all your hallmarks; a beautiful composition perfectly delivered. Superb.

John
So very glad to hear that your hearing has returned, and what a beautiful song! Thanks for sharing!
BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL!!!! SOOO glad you are doing better. I can't imagine that experience. Wonderful Steve!! Take care. Greg

Steve,

This is simply gorgeous. Great lyrics, progression, arrangement, performance.

Heart-jolting and beautiful.

Loved it.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
First of all, great that you have your hearing back!

I think it's something that we take for granted, but man, I can't even imagine not being able to hear music anymore! Not to mention not being able to hear my grandkids, etc. So very happy for you!

And, what a beautiful song! Very powerful words and heartfelt, emotive vocals. Track sounds great also, love the piano and perfect choice of backing tracks.

Very much enjoyed the listen.

Thanks so much, Dave! I am so grateful to be able to hear again. It was very alienating to be without my hearing. I have a new empathy and heart for those who are hearing impaired. Thanks again for your kind words. So appreciated.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Glad to know you have you hearing back, Steve.

Beautiful song. Nice piano and orchestration. Lovely vocal. Excellent mix. All hallmarks of a Steve Young post.

fj

Thanks, Floyd! Always appreciate hearing from you. Blessings to you, my friend!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Steve,

Lovely song- the optimistic feelings expressed in words and music are more real learning of your difficulties.
Your vocals are always as warm and present as can be and they are the highlight of this for me.
Wishing you well.

Robert

Thank you, Robert. Glad you enjoyed this one, and I truly appreciate your well wishes!

Originally Posted By: RnAM
We're so sorry to read about your hearing problem, Steve.
But we're glad to hear that things go well now.

Super production with vocals only you can produce. They are among the best on this forum.

That EastWest piano sounds great BTW.

All the best,

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Anne-Marie, I always appreciate hearing from you! Your kind words are very appreciated. EastWest has some really great sounds. Glad you like this one!

====

Steve
© PG Music Forums