PG Music Home
Posted By: LPman To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 09:49 AM
To World

Hi all,
I been really busy, I'm not a big fan of Vocoloid vocal effects: except for on-the-fly improv. Which this is:

BIAB 2018 - _LONESON.STY
Vocals - me on phone tablet (using free Voloco app)

Lyrics:
-------------

If I open my eyes here
I don't see you anymore.
And maybe if I was softer
with my so sorry

I am not what I used to be anymore....
Don't turn...

If you ever saw me... yeah...yeah...yeah
If you ever saw me...

In the town.
Where I grew up.
It's now gone
It's now gone
No more memories

If you see where I have been
You know why, I sometimes seem a bit harsh.
to world...

I don't believe...
I don't believe...
I can do this anymore.

But I'll try... for you ... yeah
One more time ... Oh yeah
I'll try one more time...
For you.
Nice work on this smile The vocaloid sounds really crisp, and I like the progressions as well. The stripped down nature of the tune worked really well. A great groove, and nicely catchy as well. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 12:47 PM
Not at all what I was expecting to hear. This carried me away. Beautiful work.

The vocal processing was an effective and artful production choice even if it was an improv. I could definitely hear this as an S&G album cut.

Loved it.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 02:28 PM
I like the melody and spare arrangement.
Using the vocaloid is an interesting way to demo your ideas.
I could hear it working as an effect on the chorus if you rework the song... which to my ears is strong enough to deserve a more real sounding vocal.

Robert
Posted By: dcuny Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 05:34 PM
Interesting experiment. The vocoder is pretty lo-fi. I suspect that you'd get a better effect layering it with the unprocessed vocals, for a "best to both worlds" result.
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this smile The vocaloid sounds really crisp, and I like the progressions as well. The stripped down nature of the tune worked really well. A great groove, and nicely catchy as well. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Deryk -PG Music
The song is originally; "Imagine" by John Lennon, which I saved in all 12 keys. Then Played the Notes A-B-D-F#-G through the whole song. Check To World.MGX

From the Keys C:D:E:G:A:B ---- I chose the best offset chords that played well with my added A-B-D-F#-G notes. I really went over board with chord substitution theory.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Not at all what I was expecting to hear. This carried me away. Beautiful work.

The vocal processing was an effective and artful production choice even if it was an improv. I could definitely hear this as an S&G album cut.

Loved it.

Thanks Tangmo so much, I appreciate your support!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
I like the melody and spare arrangement.
Using the vocaloid is an interesting way to demo your ideas.
I could hear it working as an effect on the chorus if you rework the song... which to my ears is strong enough to deserve a more real sounding vocal.

Robert

Thanks Robert for your comment. I Find listening to this song on a stereo is so much better. My room is so noisy now, and my phone tablet mic is very low fidelity. I left an original BackTrack and source To World.MGX... which can be sung in any key... if someone wants to try some vocals on it. Link below @ Creative Commons: Tethered 2018

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Interesting experiment. The vocoder is pretty lo-fi. I suspect that you'd get a better effect layering it with the unprocessed vocals, for a "best to both worlds" result.

I couldn't agree with you more dcuny, unfortunately the Voloco app doesn't leave a clean version of the vocals or a project to save.
I too like the spare instrumentation. I agree with Robert that the melody is strong enough and pleasing enough to add some of your unprocessed vocals. Nice mellow feel to the song.
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I too like the spare instrumentation. I agree with Robert that the melody is strong enough and pleasing enough to add some of your unprocessed vocals. Nice mellow feel to the song.

Thanks Ezekiel's Storm... There are some recording studio's on my block.. Was hoping for a collaboration ...first... Having the voice engineered is a must... agree... just wasn't sure my song is up to par.

It's a funny delay-lagged-dance, singng on the Voloco app with the tablet. Your stuck in this dynamic reaction of hearing yourself differently... while you sing what comes to mind...

Not sure if I can give the re-vocals justice... something new for me to ponder about. Thanks for your vote; for the hope of this song
Posted By: Scott C Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 10:03 PM
I really enjoyed this. That vocaloid is a very interesting item in the tool box. Well done
Posted By: Deej56 Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/24/18 11:46 PM
Hi, LPman,

I think the Vocoloid has some nice effects; but the vocal also seems a bit too muted to me. Thing is, this is a beautiful song—and it’s a personal, subjective thing, so take it with a grain of salt—I think the mood, feel, chord changes and all are strong enough that a less stylized version would kill. It may be “on the fly improv” but you have something here, IMHO. Lose or use, as they say. Just my two very devalued cents.

All the best to you,

Deej
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 04:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I really enjoyed this. That vocaloid is a very interesting item in the tool box. Well done

Thanks Scott, glad you enjoyed the song.... I'm hoping my progressions will get easier to sing... again thanks for listening.
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 04:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Hi, LPman,

I think the Vocoloid has some nice effects; but the vocal also seems a bit too muted to me. Thing is, this is a beautiful song—and it’s a personal, subjective thing, so take it with a grain of salt—I think the mood, feel, chord changes and all are strong enough that a less stylized version would kill. It may be “on the fly improv” but you have something here, IMHO. Lose or use, as they say. Just my two very devalued cents.

All the best to you,

Deej

Thanks Dee..... You summed it up well, your devalued cents.... has value! Thanks so much!
Posted By: bluage Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 05:10 AM
Hello, LPman...

Well, with such a heart-sinkingly lonesome, but gorgeously chorded guitar solo as you presented in your song, "To World", you could have sung it straight and still commanded my rapt attention. The mood is troubled, and yet, here and there, I sensed a reaching out for hope(?)

Nonetheless, the vocal effect you applied added a muffled, claustrophobic feel, as though you were trapped behind a wall of feelings so thick as to be nearly impenetrable, that could scarcely be projected strongly enough to be heard. That was kind'a scary, actually.

An interesting experiment in mood and music, this is, with flashes of dark emotion that are briefly powerful in their own way.

Intrigued and strangely affected,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 08:06 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Hello, LPman...

Well, with such a heart-sinkingly lonesome, but gorgeously chorded guitar solo as you presented in your song, "To World", you could have sung it straight and still commanded my rapt attention. The mood is troubled, and yet, here and there, I sensed a reaching out for hope(?)

Nonetheless, the vocal effect you applied added a muffled, claustrophobic feel, as though you were trapped behind a wall of feelings so thick as to be nearly impenetrable, that could scarcely be projected strongly enough to be heard. That was kind'a scary, actually.

An interesting experiment in mood and music, this is, with flashes of dark emotion that are briefly powerful in their own way.

Intrigued and strangely affected,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

LOREN no buddy but, no buddy ; writes a review like YOU!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 10:33 AM
I’m going to agree with a lot of the comments on your composition… I think it deserves a clean, intimate vocal track… Vocaloid is interesting, but doesn’t deliver for your heartfelt lyric and I think overall it would be so much better with the direct, close-up, stereo vocal. Very good material, however!
Originally Posted By: LPman

Hi Deryk -PG Music
The song is originally; "Imagine" by John Lennon, which I saved in all 12 keys. Then Played the Notes A-B-D-F#-G through the whole song. Check To World.MGX

What! I absolutely couldn't tell. I listened again, and still could barely tell unless I really listened for it. I'm even more impressed smile
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
I’m going to agree with a lot of the comments on your composition… I think it deserves a clean, intimate vocal track… Vocaloid is interesting, but doesn’t deliver for your heartfelt lyric and I think overall it would be so much better with the direct, close-up, stereo vocal. Very good material, however!

Thank-you Tano Music,
Yup.... Voloco app gave me the real-time; thinking space to sing unfolding lyrics.... However the Voloco app is a toy. But the song wouldn't have happened for me, without this tool. Thanks for your support and understanding.
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: LPman

Hi Deryk -PG Music

What! I absolutely couldn't tell. I listened again, and still could barely tell unless I really listened for it. I'm even more impressed smile

Yes, Deryk my song "To World" is a direct "fractal progression"
from the song "imagine" by john Lennon. This is a big mad scientist discovery moment for me! That works with BIAB
Posted By: David Snyder Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 07:01 PM

This is beautiful. I really enjoyed it!
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/25/18 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is beautiful. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks very much David Snyder!
Posted By: Al-David Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/26/18 04:31 AM
Hi!

What a pretty song! The backing tracks were perfect - just enough to please the ears and not burry the vocal. I real vocal would be such a great treat for this splendid song. Acoustic at its best!

Alan
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/26/18 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi!

What a pretty song! The backing tracks were perfect - just enough to please the ears and not blurry the vocal. I real vocal would be such a great treat for this splendid song. Acoustic at its best!

Alan

Thanks Alan

Well, I made a dry vocal track: The best I could. If anyone wants to collaborate, the project is @ Creative Commons: Tethered 2018 link below.
I don't have all the bells & whistle equipment for vocals. If someone wants to add duet vocals.... be my guest... I love collaboration
Posted By: rayc Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/26/18 10:12 PM
I read about the "normalization" of autotune/vocaloid effects yesterday.
The lyric and melody could use a "real" voice.
If you've a problem listening to your own voice you could use autotune or ReaTune to adjust your vocals, manually,so that they are natural and so that they are in tune.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/26/18 10:15 PM
Wow man that was beautiful! The melody in this is wonderful! I would be very interested hearing this without the effect on the vocal also. This was nice! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/27/18 12:01 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
I read about the "normalization" of autotune/vocaloid effects yesterday.
The lyric and melody could use a "real" voice.
If you've a problem listening to your own voice you could use autotune or ReaTune to adjust your vocals, manually,so that they are natural and so that they are in tune.

&
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wow man that was beautiful! The melody in this is wonderful! I would be very interested hearing this without the effect on the vocal also. This was nice! Thanks, Torrey

Hi rayc & Torrey Bliss

I sung thirty-tracks listening to my"To World" song and picked the best singing moments to re-create a "real" voice; one without the effects on the vocal; which I uploaded to the link (Creative Commons: Tethered 2018) below: I'm not happy with it. I probably sang out of tune, more than I know, while listening/singing through the voloco.app making this song demo on the fly after 3 trys. Oh yeah, I sang in Major "A" to my backtrack Wav. file. Voloco singing app didn't accept my mp3 format.

I don't have the expertise to capture the dynamics of my previous performance. From what I gather from the people in this forum I've heard. The User: gjohnson with his incredible song " dreamlovemaster" might fit the bill.

Other than saying that "I'm stuck"; trying to do justice to this song tired
Posted By: 44kfl Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/27/18 12:04 PM
At the heart of this is a really nice song,

I find the vocaloid distracting but you have written

and show a very strong and likable melody.

I would love to take a crack at singing this

if you aren't a perfectionist, I may not be able to hit every note

as it recorded here but if you're open to my interpretation.

I would change the title to something else

maybe "one more time" or" I'll try one more time"

Anyway, I like this , I think it's a good write

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/27/18 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
At the heart of this is a really nice song,

I find the vocaloid distracting but you have written

and show a very strong and likable melody.

I would love to take a crack at singing this

if you aren't a perfectionist, I may not be able to hit every note

as it recorded here but if you're open to my interpretation.

I would change the title to something else

maybe "one more time" or" I'll try one more time"

Anyway, I like this , I think it's a good write

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for listening and asking....

Go for it! Send me a link Kenny
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/30/18 10:04 PM
I am normally not a vocaloid fan but the effect is strangely moving in this song, which is really lovely!! The effect adds to the isolated feeling of the emotion. It would be nice if it were more subdued. This is wonderfully emotional and moving! Excellent!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 10/31/18 04:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I am normally not a vocaloid fan but the effect is strangely moving in this song, which is really lovely!! The effect adds to the isolated feeling of the emotion. It would be nice if it were more subdued. This is wonderfully emotional and moving! Excellent!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg,
I haven't found my comfort voice zone yet... but I am getting closer; on what might get me closer to finding my own singing style. Thanks so much for listening and commenting. Song writing is such a rollercoaster ride for me
Hello, LPman

Very nice song!
The melody is very beautiful.
And the spare arrangement perfect fits this.
I relatively love of Vocaloids and Vocoder effects among the members of this forum.
However, I cannot correctly tell whether it was necessary to use those effects for this song.
I agree with Tano Music.
Vocoder effect doesn’t deliver for your heartfelt lyric and I also think overall it would be so much better with the direct, close-up, stereo vocal.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 11/06/18 06:22 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, LPman

Very nice song!
The melody is very beautiful.
And the spare arrangement perfect fits this.
I relatively love of Vocaloids and Vocoder effects among the members of this forum.
However, I cannot correctly tell whether it was necessary to use those effects for this song.
I agree with Tano Music.
Vocoder effect doesn’t deliver for your heartfelt lyric and I also think overall it would be so much better with the direct, close-up, stereo vocal.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki,
I may need to buy a voice correction hardware pedal. My computer is not powerful enough for a vocal live plugin. I have tried to re-sing this song, but I can't re-capture the performance I did . I have FL- studio newtone, post manual voice correction, which is a time consuming gamble. In short I gave-up trying and made the song a creative common licence.

The Voloco.app people asked, if it was OK to put my song on their app featuring; top 10 song list. I said OK. A week later they asked what effect setting I used. I responded 8 hr later... I missed the boat for this week entry.

Update: I am on the Top 10 list.... laugh

Posted By: F.M.M. Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 11/06/18 06:26 PM
hi lpman really great job on this love it thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: LPman Re: To World ( Simon & Garfunkel style) - 11/07/18 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi lpman really great job on this love it thanks for sharing eric

Thanks Eric for listening and your support smile
© PG Music Forums