PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Here And There - 10/26/18 05:28 AM
Here And There

Been away for a couple of weeks. Most of you probably know why - Di's health issues. But I managed to put together a couple of instrumentals for submission opportunities. This is one I like real well. It's an all acoustic piece - I'm not sure which genre it fits into. It has elements of jazz, pop, easy listening, country, and latin. I'm not fond of the tag at the end, but that's the only ending BIAB would give me - tried over a dozen times. I'm not fond of fades for an ending, but maybe this needs one - any thoughts on that?

Trying to catch up on some of the songs posted in my absence. Will listen and comment on as many as time allows.

****** Song Summary – Here And There *************

Title: All RealTracks! Country Quartet feat Nylon Chet Fishin' Guit
File:Here And There.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 160, Length (m:s)=2:40

RealTracks in song: ~537:Bass, Acoustic, Pop Sw 165
RealTracks in song: ~611:Mandolin, Rhythm Fast Chop Sw 190
RealTracks in style: 606:Guitar, Nylon, Chet Fishin' Sw 120
RealTracks in song: ~1613:Banjo, Tenor, Rhythm DixielandFastA-B Sw 165
RealTracks in song: 1862:Mandolin, Soloist WesternSwingAndy Sw 165
Loop in Song: AcousticDrumFullKit\Jazz - swing120_brushed_hats2 sw8.wav
RealDrums in Song: JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier

(c) 2018 Alan D. David, BMI
Posted By: Teunis Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 05:47 AM
Hi, I like this it is very pretty guitar. I don’t know if this is appropriate but have you considered ending it the way you started it. The first 4 bars.

Hope I don’t offend.

Tony
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 05:50 AM
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the listen and comments - much appreciated. I'm *NEVER* offended by suggestions to make my music better. I appreciate any and all constructive comments. And yours is a good one - I'll work on that ending as you suggested and see what I can do. Many thanks for the suggestion and listen. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 06:16 AM
Great to hear a mondolin doing the serious work. This is good stuff. I do like the current structure but Tony's suggestion is a fine idea & an experiment would decide.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 07:17 AM
Al,

Loved this tune. Perfect mix as well.

This arrangement has a such great rolling pace, I think a fade-out might sound very cool.

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:30 AM
Alan,

This is nicely done (as all of your instrumentals are). Excellent mix.

As far as the ending... I like an occasional fade ending. And Andy's mandolin solo tracks always make good fade endings - the mandolin has a way of "cutting through to the top" of the mix in a fade - which makes the fade seem a fairly natural way of ending (or, rather, not ending...) leaving the ear "happy". I would think it would work for any submission type track, too...

Best to Di.

fj
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 01:16 PM
Nice work, Alan smile It flows really well, and I thought the mandolin fit flawlessly in the mix here. It isn't often the mandolin is really the star of the show like this. I liked the peppy groove too - made it delightful to the ears and easy to follow.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 07:43 PM
A nice mix of perky and reflective, mando and progression. Much enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 08:07 PM
Intelligent arrangement and progression

nice choice of instruments

all make for a very pleasurable listen,

you know how to do it Alan

glad to hear something new from you,

Kenny
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 08:40 PM
An instrumental , the man and his Talent are unbelievable This was a great Listen.

Hope you both are well.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:45 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Great to hear a mondolin doing the serious work. This is good stuff. I do like the current structure but Tony's suggestion is a fine idea & an experiment would decide.

Hello Ray,

Thank you for the nice comments. I'm going to try it both ways - a fade and then ending it much as I started it. I appreciate the feedback. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Al,

Loved this tune. Perfect mix as well.

This arrangement has a such great rolling pace, I think a fade-out might sound very cool.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Always great to hear from you. Glad you liked it! As I mentioned to Ray, I'm gonna experiment with the ending both ways and then decide. Thanks for your listen and very nice comments.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

This is nicely done (as all of your instrumentals are). Excellent mix.

As far as the ending... I like an occasional fade ending. And Andy's mandolin solo tracks always make good fade endings - the mandolin has a way of "cutting through to the top" of the mix in a fade - which makes the fade seem a fairly natural way of ending (or, rather, not ending...) leaving the ear "happy". I would think it would work for any submission type track, too...

Best to Di.

fj

Hello Floyd,

I appreciate the listen and your comments and suggestions. Will work on on this tomorrow - both as a fade ending and ending much as I started and then make a decision. So far, a fade seems to be the most popular suggestion. Many thanks and best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work, Alan smile It flows really well, and I thought the mandolin fit flawlessly in the mix here. It isn't often the mandolin is really the star of the show like this. I liked the peppy groove too - made it delightful to the ears and easy to follow.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!

Hi Deryk,

I'm very pleased with it. It was a relatively short project - about 4 hours from first thought to post. And yes, mandolin rarely takes center stage other than true Bluegrass. I thought it worked pretty nicely in this "pop-ish" song. Thanks for the validation! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for the really nicer words! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
A nice mix of perky and reflective, mando and progression. Much enjoyed the listen.

Hi!

"Perky" is one of the meta modifiers I used when I posted the song. I'm delighted that aura came through with your listen. I appreciate the kindness. Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Intelligent arrangement and progression

nice choice of instruments

all make for a very pleasurable listen,

you know how to do it Alan

glad to hear something new from you,

Kenny

Hi Kenny.

Always a treat when you drop in on one of my songs. And I truly appreciate the great feedback. Now, my name and intelligent are two words that seldom appear in the same sentence! That put a smile on my face!!!

Thank you so much for your constant support of my music. Wishing you the very best.

Alan

PS: Hope you had a good time visiting your family and friends.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
An instrumental , the man and his Talent are unbelievable This was a great Listen.

Hope you both are well.

Good Evening!

You are much too kind. But, I found a way to live with it! I truly appreciate your very nice comments - thank you. Wishing you the very best.

Alan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Here And There - 10/26/18 10:38 PM
Alan, this is just about as good as it gets! You've done a wonderful job assembling these tracks into a very fine piece of music! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/27/18 05:49 PM
Torrey,

Thank you I appreciate all that very much. Songtradr just informed me the song has been picked up for one of their advertisers boards.

I truly appreciate all the support you give regarding my music. It means a lot. Again, many thanks. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Here And There - 10/27/18 07:06 PM
Love the energy in this song. Definitely got me up and moving. Very fun!!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Here And There - 10/27/18 08:23 PM
Hi Alan,

This is terrific! It overflows with 'happy' energy. I found everything about this very entertaining to the point that I was mesmermised. When the clip ended, I found myself wishing there was more.

Like yourself (and others), I thought the ending let the journey down a little bit. While it's functional, I think that there's probably a better ending out there somewhere just waiting to be discovered.

As an alternative option to the fade out, an ending that I'd try is...

1. leave the mandolin and let it end as is

2. freeze the mandolin track

3. enter into Song Settings and de-activate the 2-bar ending

4. extend the song for 4-6 bars past the bar that contains the mandolin ending

5. put a "Hold all instruments" chord (i.e. X...) either 1 or 1.5 bars later than the bar that contains the mandolin ending

6. generate and see if the modified ending fits

I just tried the above with the demo file for RT1862 (soloist mandolin) and it made the ending a little less abrupt. I've found that the freeze function opens the door to heaps of possibilities.

To get the best effect, the song should be around 4 bars longer than the bar with the hold chord to allow for natural decay.

I'm going back for another listen now!

All the best to both you and Di. You really are incredible people smile

Noel

P.S. Congratulations on the Songtradr placement! You deserve every success that comes your way!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Here And There - 10/27/18 11:13 PM
Loved this tune. That mandolin was so cool. Really neat backtrack. The bass runs were very cool as well. Well done. Hope Di is feeling better
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Love the energy in this song. Definitely got me up and moving. Very fun!!

Hi Donna. Thank you so much. Glad it "moved" you! I appreciate the listen and very nice comments. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Alan,

This is terrific! It overflows with 'happy' energy. I found everything about this very entertaining to the point that I was mesmermised. When the clip ended, I found myself wishing there was more.

Like yourself (and others), I thought the ending let the journey down a little bit. While it's functional, I think that there's probably a better ending out there somewhere just waiting to be discovered.

As an alternative option to the fade out, an ending that I'd try is...

1. leave the mandolin and let it end as is

2. freeze the mandolin track

3. enter into Song Settings and de-activate the 2-bar ending

4. extend the song for 4-6 bars past the bar that contains the mandolin ending

5. put a "Hold all instruments" chord (i.e. X...) either 1 or 1.5 bars later than the bar that contains the mandolin ending

6. generate and see if the modified ending fits

I just tried the above with the demo file for RT1862 (soloist mandolin) and it made the ending a little less abrupt. I've found that the freeze function opens the door to heaps of possibilities.

To get the best effect, the song should be around 4 bars longer than the bar with the hold chord to allow for natural decay.

I'm going back for another listen now!

All the best to both you and Di. You really are incredible people smile

Noel

P.S. Congratulations on the Songtradr placement! You deserve every success that comes your way!

Hi Noel,

Your comments are always music to my ears! I'm more than delighted you liked this. And thank you so much for your detailed suggestion - gonna work on that tonight and see what happens. I'm very appreciative of your time and effort with that explanation.

I can't change the track Songtradr accepted, but still, it's worth the effort to try to redo the ending for the indigenous integrity of the song. I've been doing okay at Songtradr - I've had three songs accepted to the advertiser boards and two songs sent to the music supervisors of their projects (film, commercial, etc.). Neither supervisor selected my referrals from Songtradr, but it was nice to have listened to by persons in their capacity. Sometimes they remember a name when searching for another project.

Again, thank you so much for everything. Hope all is maintaining well in your world. I'm doing fine.

Alan

PS: Di says "Hi Noel! I, too, appreciate you liking our music."
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this tune. That mandolin was so cool. Really neat backtrack. The bass runs were very cool as well. Well done. Hope Di is feeling better

Hi Scott.

I truly appreciate those really nice comments! i think the mandolin is a pretty cool instrument that doesn't get its just appreciation. Thought I'd throw it out there in the spotlight for a few minutes. I sampled 5 or 6 bass lines before settling on that one. Thanks for validating my choice! Wishing you the best.

ALan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 01:19 AM
Alan

That was pretty indeed! Great sound and mixing and some well deserved praise for this one.
Nice work.

Peter
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 03:58 AM
Alan & Di,

This actually has a cool gypsy jazz feel to me—one of may best mates, who is a huge gypsy jazz fan, would be flipping over this tune. I’ll be sure to play it for him. Short, sweet and engaging all the way. Beautifully done!

Kind regards,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

That was pretty indeed! Great sound and mixing and some well deserved praise for this one.
Nice work.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you so much! That's very kind of you to say. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 05:34 PM
Hi Deej,

Thanks for the listen and very nice comments. Yes, this does have a touch of Gypsy Jazz to it, Had a thrown in a fiddle lead in places, then it would have been a bit reminiscent of Reinhardt and Grappelli. I love that music!

I Hope your friend likes it when he listens. If so, here's a link to a Gypsy Jazz tune I did several years ago he might like:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12926091

It got picked up for a British documentary on Gypsy Jazz.

Anyway, thank you for your kind comments. I appreciate them very much. Wishing you the best.

Alan
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 07:51 PM
hi alan great mix so clear and crisp totally engaging thanks enjoyed my listen eric
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/28/18 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi alan great mix so clear and crisp totally engaging thanks enjoyed my listen eric

Thank you very much, Eric. Glad you enjoyed it! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Here And There - 10/29/18 08:09 AM
Nice instrumental, well constructed and mix sounds good too. Love the Mandolin!

Best wishes to Di!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/29/18 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice instrumental, well constructed and mix sounds good too. Love the Mandolin!

Best wishes to Di!

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for those really nice comments. I really appreciate it. And Di sends her sincere "thank you" for your good wishes - as do I.

Thank you very much!

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Here And There - 10/30/18 10:25 PM
Nice little foot tapper Alan!! You have such a knack for putting music together. Great mix too!! GIve my best to Di!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 10/30/18 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice little foot tapper Alan!! You have such a knack for putting music together. Great mix too!! GIve my best to Di!! Take care. Greg

Thanks so much, Greg - I really appreciate that! You're not too shabby yourself, ya know! I'll pass on your greeting to Di - we both appreciate that. Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Here And There - 11/04/18 02:39 AM
Alan,

Very fun song!
Mandolin solo is very nice.
Chet Atkins' style side guitar is also wonderful and it perfect fits this tune.
I entirely agree with you.
It has elements of jazz, pop, easy listening, country, and latin.
So, I cannot tell which genre it fits into, either.
I love this chord progression.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Here And There - 11/04/18 10:20 AM
So enjoyable, right from the first “dive” into the minor key, reminded me of a stroll through the countryside. Shows how much you can get out of BIAB with skillful selections of style, instruments, RT’s, etc. With seasoned judgment about overall shape of the track, you’ve made it interesting...I’ve found that letting BIAB self-generate, sometimes you get predictable, less-than-interesting outcomes..but you made something quite perky and pleasing. For the ending, I would substitute 4 bars of that minimal intro, ending in a stop, if that makes sense. Great post, Alan.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 11/04/18 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Alan,

Very fun song!
Mandolin solo is very nice.
Chet Atkins' style side guitar is also wonderful and it perfect fits this tune.
I entirely agree with you.
It has elements of jazz, pop, easy listening, country, and latin.
So, I cannot tell which genre it fits into, either.
I love this chord progression.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shegeki,

Thank you for the very nice comments. By the way, your command of the English language us very, very good!

I'm still not sure what genre to call this, but it was fun to write. I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen.

Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Here And There - 11/04/18 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
So enjoyable, right from the first “dive” into the minor key, reminded me of a stroll through the countryside. Shows how much you can get out of BIAB with skillful selections of style, instruments, RT’s, etc. With seasoned judgment about overall shape of the track, you’ve made it interesting...I’ve found that letting BIAB self-generate, sometimes you get predictable, less-than-interesting outcomes..but you made something quite perky and pleasing. For the ending, I would substitute 4 bars of that minimal intro, ending in a stop, if that makes sense. Great post, Alan.

Hi!

Thank you very much! I'm g;ad you found it pleasing. I rarely use styles "as is":. I would guess I average, in total, 3-4 hours trying various tracks and finding the ones the meld fairly well. It's definitely interesting and sometimes gives my ideas for other music projects under construction.

The song has already been accepted for an opportunity to which I submitted. I was advised to keep it as is because of that. But I might do what you and Noel suggested just for my own purposes. I appreciate your suggestion - sounds like a good variation. Many thanks! And best to you.

Alan
© PG Music Forums