PG Music Home
Posted By: edshaw Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/26/18 01:36 PM
Just As I Am
(Public Domain Hymn)
"Just As I Am" is a well-known hymn, written by Charlotte Elliott in 1835, first appearing in the Christian Remembrancer, of which Elliott became the editor in 1836...(Wiki)
Also, most recognized as the altar call theme of the Billy Graham Crusades.
Here, part of "The Campfire Set," using Band in a Box's Campfire Style series,
new to me in 2018.
Just As I Am
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/26/18 03:05 PM
Hi Edshaw, I really enjoyed the overall tone of this. Very warm vibe and soothing to hear. Good use of reverb on the vocals. Keep it up!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/26/18 10:20 PM
Another great job on a hymn Ed! I think you did very good on the vocal here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: edshaw Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 12:18 PM
While I still have some grey areas on the fretboard, I've been working hard on vocals. We know the speaking and singing voices do not exactly come from the same place. That, and I have been using an AKG Condenser, phantom powered, mike. Thanks for the encouragement, Torrey. I'm grateful for the people in this forum, and the ones who operate it.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 12:48 PM
Heartwarming!

much enjoyed.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 04:43 PM
A beautiful, lilting arrangement delivered with a very human and appealing vocal.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 04:45 PM
Ed,

This is beautiful... Much enjoyed - great job.

Bob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 05:00 PM
Nice take on a PD hymn...that was the invitational hymn for the very small country church we attended when I (Bud) was a boy -- long, long ago smile

Enjoyed it and the memories!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 05:05 PM
Nice job, Ed.
Posted By: 8T8KEEZ Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 08:22 PM
Ed!

This is AWESOME! I love it! It's clean - to the point! Nice work!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 08:28 PM
This is not my thing . but agree with all I actually liked it to me a bit like a hymn/ballad.. clever.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/27/18 10:16 PM
Can't tell you folks how much I appreciate the positive response from the members and staff. Looks like I'm off to a pretty good start with this "Campfire" set. The production sequence used on this "Just As I Am" will seamlessly apply to the rest of the set, 11 more.
One thing: I record these at fairly modest level, as opposed, say, cranked up in a sound studio. So, the modest volume is actually a faithful reproduction of the sound, as recorded. I know, there are tricks to overcome this, but my question is, is that an area worth pursuing? It is annoying to have to turn it up.
Incidentally, this song is a collaboration of two of the most accomplished hymnists of the era, Charlotte Elliot and Wm. B. Bradbury. Ms. Elliot was an unassumiing English poet who received great admiration for her hymns. Mr. Bradbury, best known for "Sweet Hour of Prayer," and "Jesus Loves Me."
Posted By: Al-David Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/28/18 12:26 AM
Hi Ed,

Avery rendition of this classic. Subdued, yet inspiring. I think your vocal carries it quite well. I struggle with vocals and applaud all those "put it out there' but don't think their vocals are adequate. I keep plugging away at it. But, all that said - you did good! Very nice!!! Wishing you the very best.

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/28/18 01:14 AM
Ed

Nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/28/18 10:15 AM
Nice job Ed. Excellent vocal. Heartwarming hymn. Well done
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/28/18 12:46 PM
I really enjoyed the very genuine sounding vocals on this one. Great job with the hymn.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Just As I Am (PD Hymn) - 10/30/18 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
A beautiful, lilting arrangement delivered with a very human and appealing vocal.

I think Tango got it right! Lots of humanity and emotion in this. Very well done Ed!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums