PG Music Home
Posted By: Gary Weder Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/27/18 03:44 AM
Hi Folks.
I don't post here much but I do listen to and enjoy your songs which are an inspiration to me.
If anyone is interested I just posted a new song to YouTube https://youtu.be/DVODjDMoH7w called "My Secret Love" . I put my own strings in but the rest is all BIAB.
Thanks in advance if you take the time to listen and I welcome any advice or suggestions for improvement.
Regards
Gary Weder.

1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop16ths Ev16 085
2693:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm ModernPop16thsMike Ev16 075
1761:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 085
1825 Bass Electric PopModernGroove Ev 16
1595 Guitar Acoustic Fingerpicking
2666 Pedal Steel Rhythm Lush Chords Slow Ev
drums JazzFunkGroovin^1-a:HHSdStk, b:HHSnr

for 3 bar instru & last chorus :
Style is _THRSHGS.STY (80s Hard Rock w/ Guitar Solo)

1168 Guitar Electric Soloist RockBalladBrent Ev
642 Guitar Electric Rhythm HardRock ThrashHollow Ev
639 Guitar Electric Rhythm HardRock Thrash Ev
RealDrums Rock thrash Half Time Ev16
387 Bass Electric Metal Ev
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/27/18 06:44 AM
A really nice song. Some wonderful production with the changes in instrumentation that kept it fresh. I really like this soft and hopeful love song.

The only constructive comment I can think to make is so minor, I wouldn't change this unless you really want to. It might be a useful note going forward, however.

If I'm counting right, you are singing the last three syllables of "reality" (re-A-LI-TY) over half-notes. Just for that word in this context, I think you'd be better singing quarter-notes in the same melody (of course, this would produce a longer rest after the phrase). Your chords will support it. It would be more "conversational" phrased this way. As it is, it sounds just a little bit forced in an intimate song such as this. The rest of your "phrasing" seems spot-on and engaging. If I'm counting wrong, it might be changing quarter-notes to eighth-notes...same principle.

As I said...just a note going forward. Those kinds of "held notes" work great (often) in big, anthem pieces. They are to be avoided (in my view) in more intimate pieces, unless they simply must be there. It all depends on the word/phrase. As much as is musically and thematically possible, I'd try to sing it with the same general rhythm as I'd say it.

Enjoyed the listen (and the video was a nice accompaniment).

Gary,

This is a good listen. Nice, varied production and very pleasant vocals. A nice song.

A really nice balance between the acoustic guitars and vocal at the beginning. The strings sound good.

The drums were extremely interesting. I'm hearing snare sounds coming from both directions - both the left and right speaker - unusual, unique, interesting. How did you do that?

Enjoyed this. Welcome to the Showcase!

fj
Thankyou Tangmo for the constuctive suggestions which I have taken on board.
Much appreciated.
Gary.
Thanks Floyd.
I feel honoured that you took the time to listen to my song. I have just spent the last hour listening and being blown away by the quality of your songs. You set the bar pretty high and i will continue to listen , learn , enjoy and be inspired by your music.
Best Regards.
Gary Weder.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/27/18 11:59 AM
Gary,

I really enjoyed the listen.

It's easy to hear that you've put a lot effort into creating and presenting this composition. The end result is a very engaging and very haunting audio-visual experience. I was captivated by the attention that you've given the arrangement. You had me with you all the way.

I look forward to hearing more! Welcome to the forum smile

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/27/18 12:13 PM
Cool song,

a strong write, love the overall sound, good mix

the progression or melody esp. in the beginning makes me

think of Bowie, love when the electric guitar comes in, powerful.

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: Scott C Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/27/18 01:35 PM
Lovely song Gary. Beautiful backtrack. Excellent vocal and lyric. Well done
Gary,

A very pleasant listen. Welcome aboard.
Pretty and heartfelt. Nice song.
Nice band you put together and the mix sounds really good on our monitors.

We agree with what Kenny wrote: "the progression or melody esp. in the beginning makes me think of Bowie, love when the electric guitar comes in, powerful."

Your vocal sits right where it should be, in our opinion, in the mix -- just out front enough to convey the emotion.

Enjoyed it...well done!!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/28/18 01:44 AM
A very nice song - and an strong mix. Nice strings and some interesting dynamics going on.
Well done.

Peter
Hi Gary, I listened to your song and I feel this has an amazing and interesting melody/chord structure. It's a very lovely tune that stays with you after listening. That's what an artist strives for isn't it! You did some good work here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: edshaw Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/28/18 10:19 PM
Yes, definitely!
cool song.... I enjoyed listening.

Nice work on the production. The only nit was the kick seemed to clip but that could have been due to my crappy speakers on this computer.

Yes..... welcome to the showcase.... post up some more tunes.
What a pretty, and well executed tune smile Your vocals are so soft and sweet here, and I found the backing tracks to compliment your voice perfectly. I thoroughly enjoyed that gradual progression throughout too. And too boot, the mixing job is concise and professional sounding.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing!
Really nice!! Very engaging!! Some really nice music, very good lyrics, and a natural, very passionate vocal. Excellent job putting the arrangement together. SOOO much to like here!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/31/18 12:53 AM
HI Gary,

Well, most of what I've been thinking has been said by previous folks. But I'd like to echo their sentiments about what a great song this is. Nice change when the electric guitar comes in. A very fitting video. Nice;y done in all respects. it would be nice if you posted more often! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: bluage Re: Please listen to my new song on YouTube - 10/31/18 02:31 AM
Mr. Weder...

The music of your song, "My Secret Love" possessed the power to suspend my thoughts so completely that I was wholly immersed in listening to it -- no distractions, just went along with the turns in the river of emotions that flowed from your composition.

Would you post your lyrics, please? I picked up strands of them, but I will confess that listening to beautiful, arresting music sometimes overwhelms my ability to concentrate on the words.

Regardless, your handling of the Band-in-a-Box elements sounded quite skillful to me.

Waiting on the lyrics,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")
Hello, Gary

Nice and lovely song!
Your sentiments are very well expressed.

I agree with Noel.
It's easy to hear that you've put a lot effort into creating and presenting this composition.
Besides the RT’s described above, strings and choirs are also included in this tune, and I am looking forward to your works in the future.
I always think that the work increases more deeply by adding obbligatos by the orchestral instruments with ingenuity of RT combination.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Welcome to the forum.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Gary..great post..really liked your added strings..please post the lyric when you post the track—important to read when listening, I find. Thanks for sharing your work!
© PG Music Forums