PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 06:49 AM
Downward Spiral

Another guitar instrumental. Hope to get a vocal up sometime real soon - working on two of them. It's all BIAB - nothing by me except the concept and all that. My question is: who do you think this sounds like? perhaps Mark Knopfler? Not sure - but I'll have to suggest somebody when I list it on Songtradr. Thanks in advance. Hope you enjoy it it.

I changed the rhythm guitar player, bass player and drummer, added the Hip-Hop Horn. The piano and strings are from the original style players. I'm open to any and all suggestions to improve the piece. Thanks in advance.

Alan

The Fabulous BIAB Players:

File:Downward Spiral.SGU
Key=Dm , Tempo 94, Length (m:s)=3:24
4 bar intro, 24 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 28. Repeat x3 choruses
Melody has 371 notes, Melody harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Soloist track has 105 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is _ALPRTNA.STY (Alberti - Pretty New Age Piano)

RealTracks in song: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2461:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm NewAgeAlbertiPretty Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 2457:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2650:Guitar, Electric, Background DreamyPopBalladFillsBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2747:Synth, Rhythm AltHipHopHorn Ev16 085
RealDrums in Song: PopRock8ths^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare

Posted By: rsdean Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 07:24 AM
Al,

I love this - sounds great. Very fluid lines. I can definitely hear Knopfler in this.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: rayc Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 08:28 AM
Knopfler in the intro but it's more blues based after that.
There's a lot of click in the kick drum that's quite loud & forward in the mix that is out of keeping with the general vibe. if you can get a quite narrow Q onto that freq you should be able to bring the drums more in line with the rest.
Very pleasant listen.
I actually listened to the 1st Dire Straits album last night - it was quite boring really - not my cuppa - your track is a better fit for me.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 08:56 AM
Hi Alan,

Guitarist doesn't sound like Knoffler IMHO, other than the odd lick here and there. Much more bluesy and jazzy style. Similar laid back approach though with the way he phrases, maybe that's what you are hearing.
Unlike Ray I'm a huge Dire Straits fan and think the first album is brilliant! (first few albums actually) wink

But man, I really like this track! Great feel and mood.

Doesn't need a vocal, works really well as an instrumental. But, having said that I would enjoy hearing what you come up with as far as vocals go!

Posted By: Tano Music Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 10:43 AM
Alan, nice track.l especially liked the gentle emphasis on the eighth-note, I think with the piano...it gives the piece a kind of tick-tock movement that I enjoyed. I’m not up on guitarists, so can’t comment on that, but very nice RT substitutions and overall real pleasing tapestry. Thanks for weaving!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 11:49 AM
Howdy,

Dave pretty much nailed our sentiments (FWIW Sultans of Swing on the first DS album is one of our all time fav songs).

It would seem that it would have placement possibilities as just an instrumental.

Well produced with a great sound on our monitors...

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 11:53 AM
Beautiful track,

it should inspire you to write something

bluesy and reflective

I think it's a great mix

love that guitar,

Kenny
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 05:23 PM
This song has an almost melancholic feel to it. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 08:47 PM
Love this track. Guitar is superb. Love the tone, harmonics and vibrato. Very nice...
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Downward Spiral - 11/01/18 10:08 PM
Great track, Alan!

To me it is far from sounding like Mark Knopfler - it actually sounds much better... smile

Will
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 12:44 AM
The progression captures that melancholy you were after, and everything supports that. Sounds great and flows naturally. I can hear a "melody line" coming through in many places--especially that three-chord downward movement--that might be a good place to hang the title lyric.

Much enjoyed.
Posted By: bluage Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 01:37 AM
Dear "Al-David"...

I've heard very little of Mark Knopfler's music. I think the song has that key-less, modulating sound of Pat Methany's works. The electric guitar solo reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan's performance of "Riviera Paradise".

Regardless, "Downward Spiral" has a pacific, journeying feel in spite of its downbeat title. This is music that should be listened to while watching the sun go down...and then, watching it rise, again.

Sweet, and obviously composed from a deep place inside of you, "Al-David"! Thank you.

LOREN
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 09:50 AM
Alan,

This is a terrific listen.

You have a way of finding interesting RTs to put together - makes me look back to see what they are - and makes me want to use them... thanks for that!!

The guitar and drums in this case - especially caught my ear - the use of a "background fills" guitar as the solo instrument really made this interesting.

Excellent mix.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Al,

I love this - sounds great. Very fluid lines. I can definitely hear Knopfler in this.

Excellent!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sure do appreciate those nice words! Thank you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Knopfler in the intro but it's more blues based after that.
There's a lot of click in the kick drum that's quite loud & forward in the mix that is out of keeping with the general vibe. if you can get a quite narrow Q onto that freq you should be able to bring the drums more in line with the rest.
Very pleasant listen.
I actually listened to the 1st Dire Straits album last night - it was quite boring really - not my cuppa - your track is a better fit for me.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the listen and your comments. I'm delighted you liked the song. I've already submitted to song for a placement opportunity and it was accepted as is, so I can't replace that track with another version at this point. But, should I have another opportunity, at a later time, I'll rework the drum EQ. Thanks for the suggestion! best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Alan,

Guitarist doesn't sound like Knoffler IMHO, other than the odd lick here and there. Much more bluesy and jazzy style. Similar laid back approach though with the way he phrases, maybe that's what you are hearing.
Unlike Ray I'm a huge Dire Straits fan and think the first album is brilliant! (first few albums actually) wink

But man, I really like this track! Great feel and mood.

Doesn't need a vocal, works really well as an instrumental. But, having said that I would enjoy hearing what you come up with as far as vocals go!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the really comments and your feedback. I don't really know who the guitar part sounds like. I like Dire Straits okay, particularly "Sultans of Swing". Of course, Mark Knopfler is doing okay as an independent guitarist! I tend to call DS' music as Dreamy Pop Rock. That's why I wondered if this song might fall into that category. I agree it's a little "jazzier:. Just can't connect anyone with the particular sound on this piece. Thanks a bunch!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Alan, nice track.l especially liked the gentle emphasis on the eighth-note, I think with the piano...it gives the piece a kind of tick-tock movement that I enjoyed. I’m not up on guitarists, so can’t comment on that, but very nice RT substitutions and overall real pleasing tapestry. Thanks for weaving!

So good to hear from you!

The piano really caught my ear, too. I love that track. It's a great fill without competing with anything else. I appreciate your listen and feedback. best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Howdy,

Dave pretty much nailed our sentiments (FWIW Sultans of Swing on the first DS album is one of our all time fav songs).

It would seem that it would have placement possibilities as just an instrumental.

Well produced with a great sound on our monitors...

Nice!

J&B

Hi Guys - or gentleman & lady ...

Thank ya so much! I really hadn't intended to write a lyric - it was written to be an instrumental. A lyric would be fine if needed. I kinda like it as is, though. Wishing both of you the very best.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Beautiful track,

it should inspire you to write something

bluesy and reflective

I think it's a great mix

love that guitar,

Kenny

Hey Kenny!

It's a real treat when you chime in on anything we've done. Glad you liked it! And yeah, that guitar track is pretty cool - found simply by experimenting for a couple fo hours. best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This song has an almost melancholic feel to it. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Ember!

Thank you for the very nice comments. And yes, it is intended to have a melancholy aura. I'm deklighted that came through. best to you and the entire staff at PG Music.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love this track. Guitar is superb. Love the tone, harmonics and vibrato. Very nice...

Scott,

You are much too nice - don't stop! That's a lot of wonderful comments. Sure do appreciate them - and you. Wishing you the best,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Great track, Alan!

To me it is far from sounding like Mark Knopfler - it actually sounds much better... smile

Will

Hi Will,

Thank you very much! That's is a terrific compliment. I didn't play the guitar part - I just selected the track and wrote in some chords. I guess it turned out OK! Again, thank you very much!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
The progression captures that melancholy you were after, and everything supports that. Sounds great and flows naturally. I can hear a "melody line" coming through in many places--especially that three-chord downward movement--that might be a good place to hang the title lyric.

Much enjoyed.

Thank you very much. The melody is a bit free-floating. Sometimes that's pretty good and sometimes not so good. But I think it works on this song. Glad you agree. Again, many thanks!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "Al-David"...

I've heard very little of Mark Knopfler's music. I think the song has that key-less, modulating sound of Pat Methany's works. The electric guitar solo reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan's performance of "Riviera Paradise".

Regardless, "Downward Spiral" has a pacific, journeying feel in spite of its downbeat title. This is music that should be listened to while watching the sun go down...and then, watching it rise, again.

Sweet, and obviously composed from a deep place inside of you, "Al-David"! Thank you.

LOREN

Hi Loren,

I'm a big fan of Pat Metheny's work. Her grew up not too distant from where I did - both of us in Missouri. He does, indeed, have a free style melodically. The only reason I didn't suggest any similarity to him is the tone of guitar/ It's almost a Duane Eddy sound - not quite the same but some suggestion of that style. I agree with the SRV comment. I guess it's a "hodge-podge" mashup of several styles.

the sundown and sunrise comment made me smile - thank you! Wishing you the very best.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

This is a terrific listen.

You have a way of finding interesting RTs to put together - makes me look back to see what they are - and makes me want to use them... thanks for that!!

The guitar and drums in this case - especially caught my ear - the use of a "background fills" guitar as the solo instrument really made this interesting.

Excellent mix.

fj

Hi Floyd,

Such nice words from you are quite noteworthy and appreciated. Glad I could throw a couple tracks ideas at you! And yeah, I've used background fills as lead tracks on several previous songs. SOmetimes they're just enough without being too much. Thank you for your kindness.

Alan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 04:00 PM

Some great playin' here man.

Did I hear a whammy bar in there?

Is so, tasty!!!!

If it wasn't you, what is the soloist track?

Great sound.

Does have a Knopfler feel.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/02/18 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Some great playin' here man.

Did I hear a whammy bar in there?

Is so, tasty!!!!

If it wasn't you, what is the soloist track?

Great sound.

Does have a Knopfler feel.

Hi David,

No, it wasn't me - wish it was! Actually that backing track by brent mason is what you heard. I;ve found that some of the "busier" backing tracks make a great lead if you want relatively simple and work with them a bit. i searched and experimented with lead and backing tracks for almost two hours and kept coming back to this one. So, that's what I used. (RealTracks in song: 2650:Guitar, Electric, Background DreamyPopBalladFillsBrent Ev 085)

I sincerely appreciate you kind words. You are one of the best of the best here on the forums and your words carry more than a little weight.

I'm hoping to post one with me doing my own lead work before the year is over - if all goes well, possibly with a video. We'll see. I have virtually no feeling in the pinky and ring fingers of my left hand and about 60% - 70% in the other two. Thumb is pretty good, though! The right hand is mostly okay.

Anywho ... many thanks. Your new song, "Mercy", is gold! best to you and yours.

Alan

PS: Di said to tell you hello for her.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Downward Spiral - 11/03/18 09:40 AM
Very nice instrumental for a movie soundtrack. Great crisp mix. Interesting chord progression, the melancholy reminds me of Chris Rea, at least brings me sort of "On The Beach" feeling.

Janne
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Downward Spiral - 11/05/18 02:57 AM
Alan,

A very nice instrumental track!
As David said, I also thought you were plying this lead guitar.
Very natural.
It is my favorite that the chord progression is melancholic.
I think that it will be another different great song again if there is vocal.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/05/18 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice instrumental for a movie soundtrack. Great crisp mix. Interesting chord progression, the melancholy reminds me of Chris Rea, at least brings me sort of "On The Beach" feeling.

Janne

Hi Janne,

Thank you very much. And yes, i think you might be right about the Chris Rea analogy. Glad you liked it. Thanks for telling me!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Downward Spiral - 11/05/18 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Alan,

A very nice instrumental track!
As David said, I also thought you were plying this lead guitar.
Very natural.
It is my favorite that the chord progression is melancholic.
I think that it will be another different great song again if there is vocal.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,

You are very nice with your comments. Thank you so much.I may write a lyric for it, but not sure about that. Anyway, thank you again. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Downward Spiral - 11/06/18 02:47 AM
Hi Alan,

This is such fine music.

You really do have a knack for creating music that sets the listenability bar way up there, high in the stratosphere. Your chord progressions flow so very smoothly and effortlessly without any sense of aural jarring whatsoever. In addition, you always manage to find the perfect (and I really do mean PERFECT) combination of instruments that blend together and create a wonderful, memorable musical journey.

I found this instrumental very soothing to listen to. I closed my eyes, sat back and drifted off into reverie.

Really nice work.

Thinking of you and Di and hoping that all is travelling as well as it possibly can.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Downward Spiral - 11/06/18 12:43 PM
Nice work on this, Alan smile Super smooth tune, and the guitar tones on this are stunning. Really pretty, and easy on the ears. Precisely the tune I can close my eyes and float away to.

Great job here - thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums