Posted By: Buja Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/01/18 03:52 PM
"Smoothie Shop"
dixieland jazz with a ragtime chord progression

Link:
https://soundcloud.com/888music/smoothie-shop

Styles Used:
_DIXIEL2.STY. Dixieland w/ Brushes
_DIXCLRS.STY. Dixieland Clarinet Solo

Musicians: Drums: Joe Poole, Tuba: Brad Muirhead, Piano: Miles Black, Guitar: Oliver Gannon, Banjo: Ron Thompson, Clarinet: James Danderfer, me (David): vocals

"Many thanks to the PG Music team and these fine musicians!"
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/06/18 11:11 AM
Buja,

This is well done. Fun write and a fun production. A good mix.

Nice to hear the Dixieland instruments being used this way.

Welcome to the Showcase...

fj
Enjoyed the production. Everything sounds right in the pocket to us.

The soundstage is very nice on our monitors.

Welcome!

J&B
Nice work Buja, great work on this! Fantastic selection of instruments here and the instruments are layered nicely. Quite enjoyed trumpet too. Very fun vocals as well!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/06/18 08:43 PM
Hey Dave , good stuff. It might be maybe your second or third post but I'm impressed. Keep it up!

Mike B.
Posted By: Buja Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/07/18 03:34 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it.

What a great community we have here! I look forward to listening to all of your music.

Background:
I had the intro to this song bouncing around in my head for about 15 years or so after a visit to Smoothie King. I imagined it as a Dixieland tune.

After hearing the Dixieland Real Tracks I was inspired to write it.

My intro to Dixieland came from the Droopy Dog cartoon "Dixieland Droopy". That music sounded incredible to my young ears!

Production:
Exported BIAB tracks to Apple Garageband.
Recorded the vocals with an Apogee MiC 96k.
Posted By: rayc Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/07/18 03:41 AM
Buja,
It's a good pastiche and the BIAB arrangement is as it should be.
Your vocal sound is pretty cool for the genre too. I o suggest you rehearse a little more and try to re do those few notes you missed - OR use a manual pitch correction program.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/07/18 04:34 AM
Smooth! I enjoyed the listen. Loved the blender sound and the attention to detail in the mix.

I'll echo rayc's comment - why not use something like GSnap to fix a few of wayward notes (or to help identify them) and get that final polish to the vocal. (I know my vocals need all the help they can get!)

Or not - just a thought. laugh
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/07/18 08:09 AM
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum - nice to have you with us. There are some terrific people here who are also wonderfully talented with their music.

Nicely done! I enjoyed my listen. The mix is great and the song is a lot of fun. Thanks for the great listen. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/07/18 09:11 AM
Dave, thanks for posting. I’ll echo the suggestions of some of our friends here. The Dixieland jazz “guys” at BIAB are great, and you’ve used them well. Looking forward to hearing more here on the forum.
Nice work on this one smile Really smooth and a catchy, fun tune. A really good throwback to a classic style I haven't heard in a while. Easy to tap your foot to and bob your head along with.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Buja Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/07/18 04:08 PM
thanks for the suggestions!
Welcome to the showcase!

The vocals were great on this song, and it was such a fun listen! Thanks so much for sharing.
Posted By: bluage Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/10/18 01:40 AM
Hello, "Buja"...

Another rarely used Band-in-a-Box style gets a good airing in your song, "Smoothie Shop"!

Your arrangement of the RealTracks is melodious, toe-tapping, light-of-heart and charming. It's as though you composed the song for a soft-shoed vaudeville act while spiffily attired in a straw boater hat, bow-tie, peppermint striped jacket and pants, two-toned shoes, and all topped-off with a dandy, handy cane, of course!

The lyrics are refreshingly, innocently romantic, which is a long-winded way of saying that they're "cute" smile. The only thing you left out was the audience shouting, "Encore!!!"

It's nice that you featured the names of the RealTrack artists, too. After all, where would some of us desktop musicians be without them???

Dazzled,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/10/18 01:57 AM
+++
Very fun!! Very cute!! The dixieland thing works perfectly. Welcome to the forum!! Great job with this!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Buja Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/16/18 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
It's as though you composed the song for a soft-shoed vaudeville act while spiffily attired in a straw boater hat, bow-tie, peppermint striped jacket and pants, two-toned shoes, and all topped-off with a dandy, handy cane, of course!

It'd be fun to dress up like that and sing it!

Thanks!
Posted By: Buja Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/16/18 11:40 PM
Thank you all so much for your comments!
Much appreciated...
Posted By: furry Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/17/18 06:47 AM
BRILLIANT love dixieland music
Posted By: Scott C Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/17/18 11:22 AM
This was really fun to listen too. Very well done and creative. Well done
Posted By: RnAM Re: Dixieland Jazz Song: "Smoothie Shop" - 11/17/18 06:57 PM
This is so very well done Buja, usually we are no Dixieland lovers, but we'll make an exception here laugh
Good work!

Rob and Anne-Marie
© PG Music Forums