PG Music Home
Posted By: DC Ron My best song ever... - 11/04/18 10:45 PM
...which MAY be a pretty low bar, BUT...

This is 100% stock BiaB backing tracks. The vocals (not mine) are sublime...

https://soundcloud.com/ron-davis-670103812/i-dont-think-about-it

Lyrics by R.W. Davis, vocals by Dusty Hughes.
Posted By: edshaw Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 12:25 AM
"Low bar?" What are you talkiing about. That's a good song.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 12:47 AM
DC Ron,

Yeah, this is very good, augmented by a some really strong production. Great work on the drums. Love the lyrics on the end of that second verse. And the vocal just hits the right note and mode.

If this is above your low bar, then you've got a lot of tunes worth hearing. This is a really good tune.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 01:39 AM
Sounds good. Only thing I would suggest is that in some spots the steel guitar competes with the vocals. So in order to make sure the vocals come through clear may cut out the steel in certain spots. Otherwise it sounds really good.
Posted By: musician17 Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 06:52 AM
This is a GREAT song. Love it. I hate to dissect things, so I won't, apart from saying this: it's a very organic song and that's one reason, in my humble opinion, why it works so well ... it holds together as if it was somehow improvised on the spot instead of written down - if that makes any sense! Again, great job - I will listen to more on your Soundcloud account :-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 08:53 AM
Loved this song DJ. Excellent vocal and backtrack.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 10:45 AM
Yep... this is a good song. Old style, "real" country music.

Love the singer's voice. That's a great match up for this song.

I like to listen before I read what others have said and I have to agree with Sammy Davis ... I thought this before I read his comment.

The steel competes with the vocal. My general rule of thumb is that if there's a vocal happening, I want a very solid rhythm behind them but nothing that distracts. Use a volume envelope to pull the steel totally out when the singer is on, and let the steel do some fills in the space in between. I also recommend switching out the steel with something like a piano for fills in the second verse. Keep the song-scape interesting. Think of the fill instruments as candy. A little bit is good... too much and... well you know the story.

A really good song. Work some more on the production. This song is about 85% done... fix the production and take it all the way.
Posted By: Al-David Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 10:46 AM
Hi Ron,

A really super song. Definitely a terrific listen. Ya did good! And Dusty hit the nail on the head with the vocal. Great stuff!

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 11:34 AM
Nothing wrong with being proud of your work smile I thought you will a great job on it! It has a lot of sincerity in it, and in particular I loved the vocals here. Some really memorable lyrics as well.

Great job - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: DC Ron Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 07:32 PM
Ha! So glad so many of you enjoyed it and took the time to provide feedback. I do love the lyrics and vocals. They just floor me.

Samuel and Herb, THANK YOU for the feedback on the steel guitar fighting the vocals. I agree! The final stages of mixing and arranging are, for me, the most challenging. But also the most rewarding, *IF* I can ever "finish" a song. smile

BTW, this style is _ACCNTRY from 2011. I'm sure I've panned/mixed it differently in the DAW, but the tracks are straight from the style.

Posted By: rayc Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 07:49 PM
100% country.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 09:34 PM
This is absolutely fantastic! I don't know what low bar you are talking about. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: DC Ron Re: My best song ever... - 11/05/18 10:12 PM
RayC,

THANKS! To your signature...

I love every version of What's So Funny I've ever heard, from Elvis to Brinsley Schwartz, but this is my favorite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYVShm1MCvQ

Cheers!
Posted By: dcuny Re: My best song ever... - 11/06/18 01:06 AM
Well done!

You might want to drop the count in at the start, though. laugh

But what will you do now that you've set your bar so high? It's the curse of rising above mediocrity. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: My best song ever... - 11/06/18 01:22 AM
Ron,

This was a very enjoyable listen from start to end.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: rayc Re: My best song ever... - 11/06/18 06:44 AM
Originally Posted By: DC Ron
RayC,

THANKS! To your signature...

I love every version of What's So Funny I've ever heard, from Elvis to Brinsley Schwartz, but this is my favorite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYVShm1MCvQ

Cheers!

Yeah, he does the intimate reworking thing REALLY well.
Writer, performer, producer - he's a renaissance man and this version is beautiful.
Posted By: DC Ron Re: My best song ever... - 11/12/18 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well done!

You might want to drop the count in at the start, though. laugh

But what will you do now that you've set your bar so high? It's the curse of rising above mediocrity. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Ha! Well, of COURSE I should drop the count in. I usually forget it's there, since...it's always there. smile

"Mediocrity" is a good floor, but the ceiling is always higher, right? Even the best songs inspire better songs...

smile
© PG Music Forums