PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 05:46 AM
I Was Raised

This was made for the RPM challenge in 2007 (write/record 10 songs in February). BIAB played a huge role in this challenge, though I was still fairly new to the program. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the production files so I can't say what style was used, except it was (of course) an all midi style sent through the Kurzweil.

I was raised to obey my momma
Put herself between me and all harm
Didn't always listen to what she said
and she'd toast my daily bread
Can't nobody ever hold me like those arms.

I was raised to respect my teachers
taking time to see I'm not left behind
Though I only got so far
no blues-man or movie star
ever once gave half a damn about my mind.

Bridge

I was raised to believe in Jesus
Understand not at all, in part, or whole
When I find all hope is spent
ain't no Pope or President
ain't no man got no plan for my soul

I was raised to love just one woman
She's the only one I want--only one I want and need.
I've been firin' every other siren
She's the only one that I'm desirin'
When she takes care, she makes my eyeballs bleed.

(Tang's a good boy).

Tangmo 2008

PS: If anyone is interested, this is the album that resulted from the challenge.

https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/thou-shalt-rpm

Tracks 1, 2, 3, and 5 were put together in BIAB, as well as the little bonus instrumental sketches 11-14. A couple of the other ones used BIAB to demo for collaborators. The rest are solo efforts or done in collaboration.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 05:52 AM

This is very clever, I'm not sure but I think the back up vocal is called scat may be wrong but I love it.
The fx on the vocal really adds to the mood of this great tune. Great lyrics and melody.

Great stuff makes my eyeballs bleed. Rob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 11:10 AM
Man, you are such a good lyricist! Just excellent writing.

Track is cool too, love the use of stops. Vocal no too shabby either!

A most enjoyable (and fun!) listen!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 11:30 AM
OK… This was excellent! I loved everything about it! I immediately recognized the accordion background because I think I used exactly the same element in a song I wrote years ago, and I liked it then and I liked it here too!
The scat singing reminded me of a Brazilian accordionist named Sivuca who does the same kind of scat singing in unison with his accordion playing, so I loved that too!
The lyrics are first rate and your choice of imagery is outstanding! Thanks for reposting this oldie..definitely worth a listen! I’ll probably put this in my permanent listening library!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 02:19 PM
Nice work on this smile Really concise mixing job on it - sounds really professional. Loving that groove too, and the vocal performance is top notch. I thought the scatting was a nice addition as well.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 02:32 PM
Definitely an oldie, I like the scatting and the old radio sound on the vocals. Nice melody. Clever song. Only things I miss are the noise and scratches of the old records smile

Janne
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 06:05 PM
Very, very good lyrics and the whole production shows the fun you had with the song. Love that scat-if that`s you, you`re a natural!
Listening to this I understand the "why midi"thing. Well almost, because this would be killer with RT`s... just saying.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 08:11 PM
I'm really impressed! This is so clever and well done. The backing tracks are so perfect for this. terrific vocal effect. And yes, the scat singing is a terrific touch. Loved everything about this. Very well done. I really enjoyed my listen.;

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 08:18 PM
First song I hit today and it was a total blast. Tangmo, I think there are two main kind of vocalists:
The ones who search and the ones who found.

I believe you are the one who found it. Your voice and whatever magic setup you are using to get that certain feel...is how to say it right... is in the sweet spot! Try to preserve setup / effects, so you can come back to it anytime. Meaning, that if one day you decide to redo this tune with live band or RT and use same vocal setup, I think it would be a killer.

Great lyrics!
Thank you for posting.

Misha.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/09/18 11:00 PM
Hey there Tangmo, this is excellent! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and I dig the overall timbres. Excellent guitar riffs and walkin' bassline is fun. Thoroughly enjoyed the accordion to glue everything together. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: bluage Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/10/18 04:13 AM
Mr. "Tangmo"...

Upon finishing multiple listenings of "Another Oldie from the Archive", the first word that came into my mind to describe the way I experienced your song, was "edgy". However, words have many definitions depending on the context in which they are used. So, I looked it up in an on-line dictionary and found the meaning that said it all for me: "of a musical performance (or piece of writing) having an intense or sharp quality."

Whatever RealTracks or MIDI you used in the song had the effect of creating a very personal sound that augmented what I felt was the intimate character of your lyrics, assuming they were biographical. If they weren't, "my bad!" as the young(er) folks say these days!

Regardless, the cumulative effect of the song is almost...almost downbeat, in spite of the life-affirming lyrics. Interesting blend of musical texture and lyrical subtext. Memorable in an unexpected way. Original.

Moments ago I interrupted my typing of this commentary and went into the kitchen. While I was preparing my food, I could not get out of my head the shape-shifting (???) sound and hypnotic rhythm of your song. It's as though it has two, different spirits inhabiting it.

Pretty much enthralled,

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")

Posted By: rayc Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/10/18 07:09 AM
A little mouth trumpet is a wonderful thing.
Natty narrative.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/10/18 06:47 PM
Very creative and a good write as well. I always enjoy listening to creations like this.

cheers!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/11/18 03:41 PM
I'm glad you all enjoyed.

"...Regardless, the cumulative effect of the song is almost...almost downbeat, in spite of the life-affirming lyrics. Interesting blend of musical texture and lyrical subtext. Memorable in an unexpected way."

Loren, all that begins with an intent to write not so much to express my feelings as to change them. Then flows a series of creative choices, both conscious and unconscious, that landed on this and somehow rubbed against your expectations almost 12 years later, resulting in the writing of what is surely one of the top-ten comments ever made on anything I've done and is arguably better than the song itself. I appreciate it.

It certainly beats the first review I can recall when I was maybe 11 years old and had written the song I was certain would change the spiritual life of millions. My Grandmother said it was cute.

Joe, I'm glad for the comment on the bass. I had just discovered how to enter slash chords in BIAB and wanted to do some kind of McCartney-esque bass work on this.

Thanks again, all, for the listens and time spent.
Posted By: bluage Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/11/18 05:04 PM
Hello, "Tangmo"...

Oops! I just realized that I addressed your song with the wrong title in my comment laugh !!! Sorry about that.

Just wanted to let you know that "I Was Raised" didn't "rub me the wrong way", as you stated in your response to my post. Actually, I was intrigued by it, because of the contrast between the positive tone of your lyrics, and the somewhat minor-key sound of the music. That's why when I attempted to describe the kind of impact the song had on me, I chose the word "edgy", and remarked that the song seemed to be inhabited by two spirits. In other words, your words implied one thing, one feeling, but the music, and particularly the odd-sounding vocal, seemed almost to mock the tone of the lyrics. That's how I heard it, at least.

And that's what intrigued me. Most songs in the popular market that I've heard, treat a single subject in an exclusive, dedicated fashion throughout their duration. Your song, on the other hand, possessed a kind of duality in its presentation and meaning. That's a pretty cool, pretty off-beat, one-of-a-kind thing to achieve in a song, "Tangmo".

Happy songwriting!

LOREN

Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/11/18 10:03 PM
Really clever and interesting tune!! It really keeps the listener entertained. Love the vocal effect....perfect for the type of song. Really good stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Another Oldie from the Archive. - 11/12/18 05:31 PM
Excellent write. Cool vocal. Love the scattin'!!

Much enjoyed.
© PG Music Forums