PG Music Home
Posted By: fgrittner Last Night - 11/09/18 02:48 PM
I wrote Last Night back in the early 90s. My first demo used a Farfisa organ to get the Tex-Mex feel of the Sir Douglas Quintet. When I recorded it for my first album in 1994, the band convinced me to use a Caribbean, Jimmy Buffet, arrangement. I like it but I recently wanted to see how it would stand up with a bigger beat. Hence, this new BIAB arrangement.

http://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com/track/last-night-2

LAST NIGHT

It was fun while it lasted
We really got blasted
I did things with you
That I never dreamed
I don't care about the money I spent
Or that foolish accident
We just had ourselves
One helluva ride

CHORUS:
But that was Last Night
And in the morning light
The fog is burning off
My blood shot eyes
Last Night
Was so right
But today keeps telling me
How it's gonna be
Last Night
Was the first and last for me

The wine that I tasted
Got me so wasted
I said things to you
You know weren't true
Love was on the tip of my tongue
You kissed me when the night was young
You stole that word away
When you touched my lips

CHORUS

Copyright 1994 Fred Grittner All Rights Reserved

Thanks.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Last Night - 11/09/18 09:56 PM
Great groove. I can "hear" this Buffet-ized, but this has a deeper and honky-tonkier feel. Rythm-guitar, bass, drums, and piano hold it together for the vocals to surf. I liked the guitar solo too.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Last Night - 11/09/18 10:58 PM
Well done fgrittner, this was wonderful! This sounds very full and I really dug the chord progression. That guitar really does shred! Reminded me a little of Warren Zevon. Keep it up!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Last Night - 11/09/18 11:48 PM
I can see why the band wanted to take it the Jimmy Buffet direction.

Still, it's nice to have BIAB to play it the right way, without having to argue with the players. wink

Strong melody, memorable chorus, nice mix, good vocals and write. I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Last Night - 11/10/18 11:47 AM
Cool tune Fred. Very cool rhythm to this song. Excellent lyric and vocal
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Last Night - 11/10/18 12:54 PM
Nice melody and lyrically sound. I don't know if you'll know this reference, but this reminds me a bit of the Da Yoopers. Well Done!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Last Night - 11/10/18 06:10 PM
Fred

Nice to hear a new (old) one from you. Sounds really nice all - catchy chorus and nice choice of band.
A really good composition.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Last Night - 11/10/18 06:20 PM
Well written, performed and produced.

We can hear it either way...but this is very nice.

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Last Night - 11/10/18 06:22 PM
Hi Fred,

So nice to hear one from you. Wish you would post more often!

Love the driving rhythm with the backing tracks. And the drum fits so perfectly in the mix. That small variance in the chord progressions really kept this fresh. You vocal is super! Liked everything about this. Sometimes, as a listener, you sit back, close your eyes and smile as the music soothes your ears. That's what I just did.

Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Great groove. I can "hear" this Buffet-ized, but this has a deeper and honky-tonkier feel. Rythm-guitar, bass, drums, and piano hold it together for the vocals to surf. I liked the guitar solo too.

Thanks!
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Well done fgrittner, this was wonderful! This sounds very full and I really dug the chord progression. That guitar really does shred! Reminded me a little of Warren Zevon. Keep it up!

Thanks, Joe! The Cm Bm C A progression makes the song in my opinion.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I can see why the band wanted to take it the Jimmy Buffet direction.

Still, it's nice to have BIAB to play it the right way, without having to argue with the players. wink

Strong melody, memorable chorus, nice mix, good vocals and write. I enjoyed the listen.

Thanks, David. I’m definitely in charge of the band now!
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune Fred. Very cool rhythm to this song. Excellent lyric and vocal

Thanks, Scott.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Nice melody and lyrically sound. I don't know if you'll know this reference, but this reminds me a bit of the Da Yoopers. Well Done!

Thanks. I looked up the Da Yoopers. Yup, definitely a tongue-in-cheek song.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Fred

Nice to hear a new (old) one from you. Sounds really nice all - catchy chorus and nice choice of band.
A really good composition.

Peter

Thanks, Peter.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well written, performed and produced.

We can hear it either way...but this is very nice.

J&B

Thanks, J&B.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Fred,

So nice to hear one from you. Wish you would post more often!

Love the driving rhythm with the backing tracks. And the drum fits so perfectly in the mix. That small variance in the chord progressions really kept this fresh. You vocal is super! Liked everything about this. Sometimes, as a listener, you sit back, close your eyes and smile as the music soothes your ears. That's what I just did.

Best to you.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. You have great ears, so I appreciate your comments.

I have been very busy with live music and writing a memoir about my year in Vietnam courtesy of Uncle Sam—it is more about music than war... I will try to show up more often with a new or old tune of mine.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Last Night - 11/11/18 08:30 PM
Fred,

I was in Vietnam 1966 - 1967. US Army, 4th Infantry Division. Spent 23 years and retired from the Army in 1988.

Good to hear the live music is keeping you busy - that's a good thing! Hope you do show up more often - I've always enjoyed your songs. Best to ya,

Alan
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/12/18 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Fred,

I was in Vietnam 1966 - 1967. US Army, 4th Infantry Division. Spent 23 years and retired from the Army in 1988.

Good to hear the live music is keeping you busy - that's a good thing! Hope you do show up more often - I've always enjoyed your songs. Best to ya,

Alan

Thanks, Alan. I grew up quickly as an Army draftee. I play music with a fellow I met in Saigon. I was there in 1972 to the peace treaty was signed n 1973.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Last Night - 11/12/18 05:27 PM
A good write, Fred. Well sung, as always.

Production is nice (though I thought the piano needed to be a bit "brighter"). A good mix overall.

The chorus really begs for harmonies.

fj
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Last Night - 11/12/18 06:37 PM
Fun and clever song Fred!! Well put together and produced....band was just right. Vocal and mix worked very well! Nice one!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/13/18 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A good write, Fred. Well sung, as always.

Production is nice (though I thought the piano needed to be a bit "brighter"). A good mix overall.

The chorus really begs for harmonies.

fj

Thanks, Floyd. I agree about harmonies. On my to-do list.

Fred
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Last Night - 11/13/18 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Fun and clever song Fred!! Well put together and produced....band was just right. Vocal and mix worked very well! Nice one!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. I used the vocal compressor very aggressively--I think that helped me keep the vocal/band in check.

Fred
© PG Music Forums