PG Music Home
Posted By: tommyad The Destination - 11/10/18 10:33 PM

A lot of people love staying home all the time. I am not one of those.

Recorded in Logic Pro X
Plug Ins : Nectar 2, Neutron 2, Ozone 8, Tonal Balance, Waves LinMB, Waves, L3-LL Multi Limiter, Scuffam Amps S-Gear, Waves Vocal Rider

Vocals, Telecaster, Tom Adams

RealTracks 518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Held Ev 085
RealTracks 2645:Guitar, Resonator, Rhythm Folk8thsRandy Ev 085
RealTracks 2533:Guitar, Acoustic, HeldChords
RealTracks 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealTracks 2883:Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
RealTracks 2824:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
Royalty Free Loops

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/the-destination

https://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

The Destination

Hit the road when I was a young man
Not much different from what my Daddy done
Never cared much for throwing out an anchor
it’s the way I am it’s in my blood

It’s not the time it takes It’s all about the journey
The destination don’t matter much

Daddy said You’ll know when you get there
The road will tell you when you’re done
It’s easier to get where you’re going
If you know where you come from

he said if you change your mind just change your scenery
Don’t get stuck in a 9 to 5
Keep the wind at your back and the rubber on the pavement
Stare down the devil and you’ll know you’re alive

It’s not the time it takes It’s all about the journey
The destination don’t matter much

Daddy said You’ll know when you get there

©2018 Thomas Adams
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Destination - 11/10/18 10:46 PM
Hi Tom,

Anytime I see your name on a new post, I get pretty anxious - anticipation of some great music. You never disappoint. I've always traveled, nearly non-stop (over 40 countries and all but 2 states - Oregon and Hawaii). But with Di's health so fragile, I haven't in a couple of years.

That chorus just speaks to me. My favorite place, other than with my wife, is what lies down the road I've never traveled. As always, your vocal shines and your Tele talks. It seems every time I listen to one of your new posts, I say "Man, that might be my all-time favorite from you." So, here I go again: This might be my all-time favorite from you.

Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 01:50 AM
Tom

Great to hear a new one from you and an excellent one at that.
Really nice set of lyrics and some wonderful melodic guitar phrases between verses.
Always love your laid back vocal sound and harmonies and the band sounds superb.

Peter
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 03:42 AM
First...this is a great sounding song. Second...it's a great song. Really enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 07:39 AM
Hi Tom,

I can relate to the message, somewhat anyway. My favorite type of getaway is doing road trips, a planned destination but anything in between is fair game. Been right across Canada from coast to coast that way, and also spent a month driving down and exploring Texas with stops at many cool places along the way. And many other shorter trips over the years. Driving down route 66 is on my bucket list, maybe next year.

Anyway, nice to hear you with a new one! Your music always sounds radio ready to me, such a pro sound.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 08:45 AM
Cool tune Tommy. My dad was a trucker so spent allot of summer breaks from school cruising coast to coast. Funny used to love to travel when younger but so much chaos in the airports and congested city driving much prefer to stay home.

Loved the lyric and super vocal as always. And always my favorite part of the songs the guitar was just excellent...
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 09:20 AM
Great song and excellent mix with plenty of variety and highs and lows. Really liked the arrangement and all the links and changes of feel in the drums. Great vocal too.
Posted By: Skyline Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 09:41 AM
Superb work Tom. That has got to be one of the best Telecaster tones I have ever heard! Great lyrics sung to perfection, all in a top notch RTs setting. Mix and engineering A1. An object lesson to us all!

Best
John
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 01:49 PM
Love the Picture!

Your signature guitar playing is in full force here

very nice write

cool song

excellent vocals

good to hear you again Tom,

Kenny
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Destination - 11/11/18 09:58 PM
You've got a winner here. I absolutely love the guitar work. Memorable melody and good, expressive vocals.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: The Destination - 11/12/18 12:28 PM
Nice work.

I used to really like grabbing the steering wheel and heading out to parts unknown to set up and play music for folks. Now days I have found my destination and really like walking through my woods.

On the song. Good writing. That guitar tone is "to die for" as my girls used to say. Nice crunch but in a smooth sort of way. Both the rhythm and the lead tomes are so nice. Yep... another goodun!

And of course, every time I visit your site.... I have to listen to my favorite of yours..... The Waterline. Man that one gives me chills.
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/12/18 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom,

Anytime I see your name on a new post, I get pretty anxious - anticipation of some great music. You never disappoint. I've always traveled, nearly non-stop (over 40 countries and all but 2 states - Oregon and Hawaii). But with Di's health so fragile, I haven't in a couple of years.

That chorus just speaks to me. My favorite place, other than with my wife, is what lies down the road I've never traveled. As always, your vocal shines and your Tele talks. It seems every time I listen to one of your new posts, I say "Man, that might be my all-time favorite from you." So, here I go again: This might be my all-time favorite from you.

Best to you.

Alan
Alan, I also am missing Oregon and Hawaii along with 5 more. I think you’ve got me beat on countries but I’m closing in on you. Thanks for the great comments, Tom
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Tom

Great to hear a new one from you and an excellent one at that.
Really nice set of lyrics and some wonderful melodic guitar phrases between verses.
Always love your laid back vocal sound and harmonies and the band sounds superb.

Peter
Peter, good to hear from you. I appreciate the kind words, Tom
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Destination - 11/12/18 06:33 PM
This is COOOOOL!!! Reminds me of John Hiatt (the best of John Hiatt)! Fantastic energy, fantastic lyrics, fantastic vocal and mix! You killed it!!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Destination - 11/12/18 09:02 PM
"It’s easier to get where you’re going
If you know where you come from"

What a nice line. A good write. A good Road Song.

Your signature lick is the perfect earworm.

Everything sounds good (As it always does in your songs).
The drums and the acoustic are attention grabbers...
A great mix - crisp, clean, cohesive.

A great listen. (Of course!)

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Destination - 11/13/18 02:42 PM
Tom,
The intro grabs and already I know this is a good "band" song(no one does the big drums better)
Love the sentiments in the lyrics, strong vocals...and that great Telecaster sound.
Makes me want to get out and drive South!

Robert
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/15/18 08:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
First...this is a great sounding song. Second...it's a great song. Really enjoyed the listen.
Tangmo, thanks for stopping by and leaving the wonderful comments. I appreciate it, Tom
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Destination - 11/15/18 03:47 PM
Another great song and production Tom! One of my favorite things about this one is the signature lick -
really catchy.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Destination - 11/15/18 04:23 PM
Man, is this ever the way to take a BiaB band and make it yours. With the drum loops and your guitar licks this song just screams individuality.

"It’s easier to get where you’re going if you know where you come from" is sung with both certainty and confidence.

And what makes this song even more special is that we have had the pleasure of sitting around the campfire and hearing about some of those place you've been smile

A fine "I wanna hit the road" write, a strong vocal, cool guitar and a top notch tommyad mix all demand a wide audience.

We like the allusions to Hiatt...Drive South!

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: The Destination - 11/15/18 06:25 PM
hi tom really love this one love the bite on the guitar how did you get the sound great vocal and mix really clear and crisp thanks eric
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/17/18 08:27 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Tom,

I can relate to the message, somewhat anyway. My favorite type of getaway is doing road trips, a planned destination but anything in between is fair game. Been right across Canada from coast to coast that way, and also spent a month driving down and exploring Texas with stops at many cool places along the way. And many other shorter trips over the years. Driving down route 66 is on my bucket list, maybe next year.

Anyway, nice to hear you with a new one! Your music always sounds radio ready to me, such a pro sound.
Thanks for your support Dave, Tom
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune Tommy. My dad was a trucker so spent allot of summer breaks from school cruising coast to coast. Funny used to love to travel when younger but so much chaos in the airports and congested city driving much prefer to stay home.

Loved the lyric and super vocal as always. And always my favorite part of the songs the guitar was just excellent...
Scott, I’m glad you liked it,Tom
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Destination - 11/17/18 06:54 PM
What a great sounding country rock song Tom!
Everything is perfect, the Telecaster sound, your vocal and the excellent choice of RTs!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: gruverider Re: The Destination - 11/18/18 12:20 AM
Love your guitar riffs they really give the song a signature and lift. And You always have a good hand on the bottom wink

Your arrangement is inspiring!

Top notch all the way!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Destination - 11/18/18 04:02 AM
Tom,

This is a truly excellent listen. The groove just grabs hold at the introduction and doesn't let go until the end.... to me it seemed like a rock-meets-country with an added boost of synchopation that I associate with calypso or Latin music. It was very intriguing and very, very engaging!

As always, your performances are excellent, both vocally and instrumentally, and your writing stands proud and tall on the phrase 'professional all the way'.

One of the things that always mesmerises me with your productions is their outstanding clarity. It seems to me that you have the equivalent of what gardeners call a 'green thumb' when it comes to growing arrangements and productions.

Wonderful music!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Destination - 11/18/18 10:24 AM
Thomas,

very nice song. Love your roughness of your voice and the guitar work. Well done!

Stefan
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: The Destination - 11/18/18 01:38 PM
Man, what a song! I've listened to it several times now and just love it. To me, this could easily be a Darius Rucker song (meant as a compliment). You've got So much talent in so many areas. REALLY well done!

Hope life is treating you a bit better now!

Keep these coming! I love 'em every time!
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/18/18 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: funkycornwall
Great song and excellent mix with plenty of variety and highs and lows. Really liked the arrangement and all the links and changes of feel in the drums. Great vocal too.
Tony, thanks for coming by. I’m glad you liked the drums. I was on the fence about that March feel in the first turnaround. I eventually decided to leave it in, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/19/18 09:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Superb work Tom. That has got to be one of the best Telecaster tones I have ever heard! Great lyrics sung to perfection, all in a top notch RTs setting. Mix and engineering A1. An object lesson to us all!

Best
John
Thanks John. I appreciate the great review,Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/19/18 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Love the Picture!

Your signature guitar playing is in full force here

very nice write

cool song

excellent vocals

good to hear you again Tom,

Kenny
Thanks for the nice words, Tom
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
You've got a winner here. I absolutely love the guitar work. Memorable melody and good, expressive vocals.
Glad you liked it, Tom
Posted By: Jim Re: The Destination - 11/19/18 02:56 PM
A well done country song here along with a grain of wisdom... enjoyed it very much
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/20/18 09:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work.

I used to really like grabbing the steering wheel and heading out to parts unknown to set up and play music for folks. Now days I have found my destination and really like walking through my woods.

On the song. Good writing. That guitar tone is "to die for" as my girls used to say. Nice crunch but in a smooth sort of way. Both the rhythm and the lead tomes are so nice. Yep... another goodun!

And of course, every time I visit your site.... I have to listen to my favorite of yours..... The Waterline. Man that one gives me chills.
Herb, I saw your pictures and I understand why you like it there. Thanks for the nice words and for mentioning The Waterline, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/20/18 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is COOOOOL!!! Reminds me of John Hiatt (the best of John Hiatt)! Fantastic energy, fantastic lyrics, fantastic vocal and mix! You killed it!!!! Take care. Greg
Greg, thanks for all that. I enjoyed your latest collab with floyd, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/21/18 09:11 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
"It’s easier to get where you’re going
If you know where you come from"

What a nice line. A good write. A good Road Song.

Your signature lick is the perfect earworm.

Everything sounds good (As it always does in your songs).
The drums and the acoustic are attention grabbers...
A great mix - crisp, clean, cohesive.

A great listen. (Of course!)

fj

Thanks for the great review. I appreciate it,Tom
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Tom,
The intro grabs and already I know this is a good "band" song(no one does the big drums better)
Love the sentiments in the lyrics, strong vocals...and that great Telecaster sound.
Makes me want to get out and drive South!

Robert
Robert, I am glad you liked it,Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Destination - 11/21/18 11:43 AM

Great song Tommy!

I love these lines:

Awesome!
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/21/18 09:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Another great song and production Tom! One of my favorite things about this one is the signature lick -
really catchy.
Josie, nice to hear from you. I know you value “catchy”, so I’m glad it resonated with you, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/22/18 10:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, is this ever the way to take a BiaB band and make it yours. With the drum loops and your guitar licks this song just screams individuality.

"It’s easier to get where you’re going if you know where you come from" is sung with both certainty and confidence.

And what makes this song even more special is that we have had the pleasure of sitting around the campfire and hearing about some of those place you've been smile

A fine "I wanna hit the road" write, a strong vocal, cool guitar and a top notch tommyad mix all demand a wide audience.

We like the allusions to Hiatt...Drive South!

Kudos!

J&B

Thanks for the fine review! Tom
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi tom really love this one love the bite on the guitar how did you get the sound great vocal and mix really clear and crisp thanks eric
Eric, thanks and glad you liked it. I use the S gear plug in on all guitars. Tom
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Destination - 11/22/18 12:59 PM
What a tune! A really solid write - love the chord progressions, and love the chorus on this. The whole tune really hits hard. Definitely showcases a strong understanding of songwriting. Not to mention, the mix on this is superb. It sounds stunning and really professional.

You did an outstanding job here - thanks for sharing wink
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/23/18 10:55 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
What a great sounding country rock song Tom!
Everything is perfect, the Telecaster sound, your vocal and the excellent choice of RTs!

Rob and Anne-Marie
RnAM, Thank you for coming by, Tom
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Love your guitar riffs they really give the song a signature and lift. And You always have a good hand on the bottom wink

Your arrangement is inspiring!

Top notch all the way!
Lawrence, I’m glad you enjoyed it, Tom
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Destination - 11/24/18 02:30 AM
Hello, Tom

Great song!
Your signature sound!
Anyway, the composition of the song is outstanding.
Intro. guitar riff, vocal, big drums, clear mixing, everything is great!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Destination - 11/24/18 06:37 PM
Tom,

This is great! I love the uptempo sound and the songs theme - great mix and vocal as usual.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/25/18 04:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tom,

This is a truly excellent listen. The groove just grabs hold at the introduction and doesn't let go until the end.... to me it seemed like a rock-meets-country with an added boost of synchopation that I associate with calypso or Latin music. It was very intriguing and very, very engaging!

As always, your performances are excellent, both vocally and instrumentally, and your writing stands proud and tall on the phrase 'professional all the way'.

One of the things that always mesmerises me with your productions is their outstanding clarity. It seems to me that you have the equivalent of what gardeners call a 'green thumb' when it comes to growing arrangements and productions.

Wonderful music!

All the best,
Noel
Noel, your comments always make me smile. You are among the most positive of us all and I always appreciate your support and insights. Thank you, Tom
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Thomas,

very nice song. Love your roughness of your voice and the guitar work. Well done!

Stefan
Stefan, thanks for giving it a spin. I am glad you stopped by, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/26/18 09:29 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Man, what a song! I've listened to it several times now and just love it. To me, this could easily be a Darius Rucker song (meant as a compliment). You've got So much talent in so many areas. REALLY well done!

Hope life is treating you a bit better now!

Keep these coming! I love 'em every time!

Caaron, I appreciate the generous review. Thanks,Tom
Originally Posted By: Jim
A well done country song here along with a grain of wisdom... enjoyed it very much
Jim, Thank you for the kind words, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/26/18 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Great song Tommy!

I love these lines:

Awesome!
Thanks David. Glad you liked it, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/27/18 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! A really solid write - love the chord progressions, and love the chorus on this. The whole tune really hits hard. Definitely showcases a strong understanding of songwriting. Not to mention, the mix on this is superb. It sounds stunning and really professional.

You did an outstanding job here - thanks for sharing wink
Derek, I know you listen to a lot of music. So to get such a nice review from you is meaningful to me. Thanks, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/28/18 09:23 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Tom

Great song!
Your signature sound!
Anyway, the composition of the song is outstanding.
Intro. guitar riff, vocal, big drums, clear mixing, everything is great!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Thank you so much for your kind comments, Tom
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Destination - 11/29/18 08:54 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Tom,

This is great! I love the uptempo sound and the songs theme - great mix and vocal as usual.

Excellent!

Bob
Bob, Thank you. I appreciate your support and kind comments, Tom
© PG Music Forums