PG Music Home
Posted By: Skyline New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 12:49 PM
Last summer Richard, my songwriting partner, embarked on an incredibly demanding solo adventure (like me, he’s in his late 60s), walking the Camino de Santiago in the North West of Spain, where he covered over 600 miles. Sometimes called The Way of Saint James, the Camino is a network of Christian pilgrimage routes dating back to the Middle Ages and today many people from all over the world follow its routes as a form of spiritual path or retreat for their spiritual growth. Richard wrote the lyrics which give an insight into his experiences. I made some small additions and put the whole to music.

Links:

YouTube
Soundcloud
Lyrics & Notes

I took to stepping into the unknown, down the unravelling road.
I left behind everything I owned, I shed my burden, I shed my load.
There you may feel loneliness and pain; your body aching from the day,
But you’ll do things you’ll never do again out on The Santiago Way.

If you should wander the way of Saint James,
Brother, you’ll never be the same.
Forget the strategies, lies and games,
You’re back to zero and dealing with the pain.

My jewel gone from the mosaic of life, in time it changed for the better.
Now it don’t fit back in; it don’t feel right, but none of that old stuff really matters.
Like the pilgrims over hundreds of years, seeking answers to the question why,
I’ll follow James and face my fears, treading the miles under blue Iberian skies.

I tell you brother, you’ll never be the same.
Forget the strategies, lies and games,
Banish your fears and wash away the stain.

It’s only pain; it could be worse. It will pass, you’re not the first.

I tell you brother, you’ll never be the same.
Oh, forget the strategies, lies and games,
You’re back to zero and dealing with the pain.

Face up to emptiness again and again.
Banish your fears and wash away the stain.

Regards
John
Posted By: Crossroads Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 01:00 PM
Skyline,

very nice song - love the chorus. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 01:13 PM
nice groove, love that piano sound, great guitar solo

you should post the lyrics, what I can catch I really like

thanks for the back story

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 01:28 PM
Man, I really like this!

Vocals are great and the guitar work is smooth and melodic, just the way I like it. Love those harmonies!

Very well produced and mixed, professional sound to these ears.

Re: the back story, I am familiar with that trail. My wife and I do hiking vacations, last big one was in Switzerland. And she also wants to do the Camino de Santiago trail, although we would do a much smaller section smile
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 02:32 PM
Hello Skyline, this is excellent! I really dug the chord progression. Great tone with the guitar and love the synth lines! Very fun tune. Well done!
Posted By: Al-David Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 02:37 PM
Hi John,

What a great song! Love the mix - the drums really carry the drive. The harmonies are top shelf all the way and the backing tracks are a perfect fit. Love everything about it. The music break on the bridge renews the song at the perfect time. Terrific guitar lead, too! Also, loved the trailing at the end.

Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 05:57 PM
John (and Richard),

Nice job on this.

A bunch of nice elements that fit together nicely to create a sound similar to radio hits of the late 60's and early 70's (the more ambitious ones). A very cool sound. Very Pop.

The bass is killer. Nice guitar work. Good mix (as always).

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 06:15 PM
John this is very good. I liked the guitar work. The vocals were super and the harmonies were spot on. That bass was great. The mix was also super.

Great job on this.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 06:41 PM
Really great composition, and very nice performance as well... Totally encompasses the reason why people decide to walk "The Way"--it is an encounter with one's self. Loved the chorus, the little break in the middle, and all the little adde-ins in the back track. Fine solo as WELL... vocals ++. THanks for posting!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 06:59 PM
Good going on this. I really enjoyed the seventies feel. Rob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/16/18 08:00 PM
Very, very cool song!! Love the production and arrangement too! I'm assuming you played the guitar parts? Very sweet. Enjoyed this a lot!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/17/18 07:06 AM
Many thanks Crossroads, Kenny, Dave, Joe, Alan, Floyd, Mario, Tano, Rob, Greg.
Glad you all enjoyed it. I confess it did take some time to do the vocal harmonies, I find I can hear in my head what's needed but can't always sing them right!
Yes, Greg, all guitar work by yours truly.

Best wishes
John
Posted By: RnAM Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/17/18 07:03 PM
Sure good to see you back. By now we know that means quality in every sense of the word.
This one is very well crafted and we particularly like the melodic sequence on the chorus.
Great video as well!
Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/17/18 07:57 PM
I am digging the keyboard and guitar work--fantastic. Nice tune.
Posted By: tommyad Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/18/18 07:10 PM
John, my wife and I are also hikers. I have read a lot about the Camino de Santiago and it is a fascinating place. The song is a testament to your musicianship and arrangement skills. You did your friend proud with this great sounding piece. So very well done, Tom
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/19/18 09:25 AM
Thanks Rob & Anne-Marie, EzS, & Tom! Glad you enjoyed it.

Ez: that electric piano part was the hardest, especially the intro, as I couldn't find what I wanted in BIAB so used my dreadful keyboard 'skills' to make it myself using MIDI (and a lot of tidying up...!)
whistle
John
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/19/18 04:53 PM
hi skyline love it clear and crisp mix awesome vocal guitar was perfect and keys thanks eric
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/20/18 12:30 PM
Nice work here! It flows really well, and I love the persistent groove that follows throughout. And wow, is that ever a catchy chorus. I'm getting a strong 80's influence on this particular tune. Top notch guitar work too.

Great job and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Skyline Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/22/18 06:44 AM
Thanks Eric and Deryk for the kind words.

Cheers
John
Posted By: Scott C Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/22/18 11:20 PM
Loved this tune John. Very familiar vibe to it. Took me back to an earlier time in my life. Almost Moody Blues vibe. Very cool. Awesome vocal and harmonies. Guitar was excellent. Well done
Posted By: PeterF Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/23/18 02:21 AM
John

Some really nice work - excellent composition, nice synth lines and a pretty guitar solo.
The music and the video were a good fit.
Well done all round.

Peter
Posted By: animarorecords Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/24/18 02:14 AM
Hello, John

Very nice melody, vocal and playing.
I like especially the place where the melody goes back to minor again after it has changed to major.
I entirely agree with floyd.
A bunch of nice elements that fit together nicely to create a sound similar to radio hits of the late 60's and early 70's (the more ambitious ones). A very cool sound. Very Pop.
Synthesizer sequence is very cool.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/27/18 07:09 AM
John,

This is excellent.

Your ability to create songs, arrange them and present them has always been something that I have long admired. You definitely have a flair for making terrific music. This one shines just as brightly as all the others I have heard from you.

How on earth does a person walk 600 miles? By my reckoning, Richard has accomplished a huge feat walking the Camino de Santiago.

Richard's journey set to lyrics and framed by your music is a very listenable experience!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New song: "The Santiago Way" - 11/27/18 12:18 PM
That was an epic journey. We hike and like Tom had read about that experience. But the bravery and determination to embark upon that hike is amazing.

This is a wonderful tribute to his adventure.

And you iced the cake with the fine write, vocal/guitar performances and production.

Enjoyed both the audio and video!

J&B
© PG Music Forums