PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 01:57 AM
Spellbound

As close to a James Bond theme song write as I`ll probably get.I`m no Tina Turner but enjoyed the vocal on this one.
With ScottC on the Gretsch.
A stretch production wise which seems only right - your comments are welcome.

Style is _BEATBOX.STY (Beatbox Hip Hop)

RealTracks in style: ~2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RT901 Synth Bass EuroDance
RealTracks in style: 1943:Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance Strings Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~2267:Synth, BellPad, Rhythm 80sPopPads Ev 085
Loop in Song: Other\Human Beatbox - beatbox_lightbuzz80a ev16.wav
RealTracks in song: 2618:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Funk16thsMutedWahWah Ev16 100
RealDrums in style: UrbanPopEv8GoodGirl^1-a:Kck1, b:Clap
Loops:Arabian strings

Spellbound

truth lives in the myth
dies in the details
you soar when they fall apart
there are no rules to your sport
you want everything
and a witch to stir the sin

she serves you the Elephant Train
at her disco in the desert
her Rolex Commander
she throws your phone in the river
now who needs a safe house
sweat darkens her blouse

spellbound spellbound
in her magic eye
the moth burns the moth burns
in her mind

bom bom
boomelay boomelay boom
bom bom
boomelay boomelay boom
bom bom boom

talking in your sleep
in a room of laughing monsters
she calls herself Oblivion
you`re on the rim of her cauldron
they didn`t train you for this
the cure for a kiss

spellbound spellbound
in her magic eye
the moth burns the moth burns
in her mind

bom bom
boomelay boomelay boom
bom bom
boomelay boomelay boom
bom bom boom

© Robert Cordrey Sept. 2018
Posted By: PeterF Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 03:01 AM
Robert / Scott

An interesting departure - quite cinematic yet instantly recognizable as one of your pieces.
Liked the use of loops - the always interesting lyrics and Scott's clean guitar sounds.
Very nice work.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 09:16 AM
This was a very cool project. Listened to quite a few James Bond theme songs. Most of the inspiration came from Dr. No and Diamonds are Forever. I think this is one of Roberts best vocals and most creative backtracks. Was so glad to be to help out on the project...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 10:54 AM
Always something a little different from you, Robert! Except for the thought provoking lyrics, that's pretty much a given I think.

Vocal sounds good, as does Scott. Track sounds good too, I liked the way you used those loops.

Nice collaboration guys!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 12:18 PM
Robert,

Enjoyed this a bunch.

Lyrics that take one's mind to a million different places.

A very fresh sounding track. Nice use of the Loops and Urban drums.

Scott's guitar compliments perfectly. Nice.

Well done.

fj
Posted By: Jim Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 05:36 PM
A nice haunting, thematic composition & collaboration much in the vein suitable for a James Bond movie ... Good job to both of you.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/18/18 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert / Scott

An interesting departure - quite cinematic yet instantly recognizable as one of your pieces.
Liked the use of loops - the always interesting lyrics and Scott's clean guitar sounds.
Very nice work.

Peter

Thank you,Peter!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This was a very cool project. Listened to quite a few James Bond theme songs. Most of the inspiration came from Dr. No and Diamonds are Forever. I think this is one of Roberts best vocals and most creative backtracks. Was so glad to be to help out on the project...

Thank you for taking this on so easily, Scott.
This is one I`d have shelved without your coming up with that intro riff... nice and atmospheric... but I forgot the gunshot!!

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/19/18 02:45 AM
Scott and Robert,

What a really cool song! Full of mystique and leaves the mind with so many paths to follow.

Quite a bit different than your previous posts, but a very nice surprise. I really enjoyed this! Best to both of you.

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/19/18 12:11 PM
Wow - what a tune smile Love the dark atmospheric vibe of the tune, and the gentle hypnotic percussion. I thought your vocals sounded amazing on this tune in particular as well. As others said - I too can imagine this fitting in perfectly with a James Bond film. It somehow has that kind of vibe.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/20/18 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Always something a little different from you, Robert! Except for the thought provoking lyrics, that's pretty much a given I think.

Vocal sounds good, as does Scott. Track sounds good too, I liked the way you used those loops.

Nice collaboration guys!

Dave,

Sometimes I set a personal challenge- "can you write a Bond song?" in this case, pushed me in a new direction.
Thank you for the positives.

Robert
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Robert,

Enjoyed this a bunch.

Lyrics that take one's mind to a million different places.

A very fresh sounding track. Nice use of the Loops and Urban drums.

Scott's guitar compliments perfectly. Nice.

Well done.

fj

Floyd,
James is more fun when he has a female nemesis who`s as good at the game as he is-that and the African setting was the song outline here!
There are so many EDM/Hiphop percussion tracks available with BiaB now its easy to go overboard.
I`m glad you enjoyed our efforts.

Robert
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/20/18 01:23 PM
Man, what a cool song!

such a great write, makes me wonder what movie is playing

in your head as these lines spill out on the page

very nice guitar Scott,

this comment gets posted a lot but I think this is my favorite

Kenny
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/20/18 03:23 PM
Going in to it thinking about a James Bond theme song, this is definitely what I heard as soon as Spellbound loaded and started playing. It has a really smooth feel to it. Love it. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: bluage Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/21/18 01:19 AM
"Robertkc" and "ScottC"...

This "Spellbound" of yours sounds like something out of a dream, wholly created in the imagination. The lyrics are a kaleidoscope of riotous images and deliciously obscure meanings that swept me along on a ride through another reality. As "floydjane" commented, these are "lyrics that take one's mind to a million different places."

It's funny that you wrote that the song is "as close to a James Bond theme song write as I'll probably get", because as I was listening to it I envisioned a boldly colorful, surrealistically composed main title for a movie, such those created by the late Maurice Binder for many of the James Bond films.

Your RealTrack assembly is quite eclectic and offered up a fluid, yet funky rhythmic texture under a hypnotic and mystically harmonized melody.

This is imaginative, heady music-making , gentlemen! Where will you take us forum members next???

Dazzled,

LOREN
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/21/18 01:17 PM
Hey Robertkc, this was swell! Good choice of instruments here and very easy to listen to. The drum beat specifically is quite crunchy and good use of effects on the vocals. Well done!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/22/18 12:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
A nice haunting, thematic composition & collaboration much in the vein suitable for a James Bond movie ... Good job to both of you.

Thank you,Jim!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Scott and Robert,

What a really cool song! Full of mystique and leaves the mind with so many paths to follow.

Quite a bit different than your previous posts, but a very nice surprise. I really enjoyed this! Best to both of you.

Alan

Alan,
Glad you enjoyed the shift in the Scott/Robert style on this.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune smile Love the dark atmospheric vibe of the tune, and the gentle hypnotic percussion. I thought your vocals sounded amazing on this tune in particular as well. As others said - I too can imagine this fitting in perfectly with a James Bond film. It somehow has that kind of vibe.

Really well done - thanks for sharing!

Deryk,
This has the most EDM/electronic tracks I`ve worked with... there are so many available now its easy to overload.
It was fun to sing ( and do the harmonies) for this; I appreciate all your positive comments.

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Man, what a cool song!

such a great write, makes me wonder what movie is playing

in your head as these lines spill out on the page

very nice guitar Scott,

this comment gets posted a lot but I think this is my favorite

Kenny

Kenny,
The "movie" I wrote from was a composite of bits from JB and espionage books which I like.
My feeling about the lyrics ( and production) on this was, as I said to Scott, " go big or go home". Of course Scott took a matter of hours to get that Gretsch into the mood and fire back his ideas.
A big "Thank you!" for your kind comments.

Robert
Posted By: Skyline Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/22/18 07:15 AM
A very accomplished piece Robert, with clever lyrics and inspired choice of RTs. The production is just right, overall a very atmospheric piece. Thanks for sharing!

John
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/23/18 06:15 PM
Quite spellbinding!! Really like the way you used the percussion on this. Vocals are wonderful (love the double tracking)! Beautiful guitar work from Scott!! Excellent work all the way around!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/24/18 03:05 AM
Robert and Scott,

Very nice Bond's theme!
The atmosphere has come out very well.
Scott's guitar is always wonderful but it is much better than usual this time in this tune.
The collaboration between you two really works well.
Great use of loops and effects every time.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/24/18 04:24 PM
Hey, after you mentioned the James Bond theme we went in with that and couldn't shake it!

Now all we can see is a lady swimming underwater as the credits roll smile

"truth lives in the myth
dies in the details
you want everything
and a witch to stir the sin"

Verse one is worth the price of admission alone...wow!!!

It's all been mentioned but the production is outstanding -- different in a very good way. We love the percussion. And the vocal. And the guitar.

Cool to the max and, as always, thought provoking.

J&B

PS: And reading the lyric with the bom, bom? Well that's Bud's initials so we were even more locked in!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/24/18 06:05 PM
Robert / Scott,

Wow! Love this! You have really captured the feel of the Bond music, but with your own unique twist - outstanding stuff...

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/24/18 06:33 PM
This is a really hypnotic song Robert.

I loved everything about this one.

Great vocals and mix.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/24/18 10:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Going in to it thinking about a James Bond theme song, this is definitely what I heard as soon as Spellbound loaded and started playing. It has a really smooth feel to it. Love it. Thanks for sharing!

Ember,
I`m happy I didn`t overreach by saying it was written with Bond in mind -thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted By: bluage
"Robertkc" and "ScottC"...

This "Spellbound" of yours sounds like something out of a dream, wholly created in the imagination. The lyrics are a kaleidoscope of riotous images and deliciously obscure meanings that swept me along on a ride through another reality. As "floydjane" commented, these are "lyrics that take one's mind to a million different places."

It's funny that you wrote that the song is "as close to a James Bond theme song write as I'll probably get", because as I was listening to it I envisioned a boldly colorful, surrealistically composed main title for a movie, such those created by the late Maurice Binder for many of the James Bond films.

Your RealTrack assembly is quite eclectic and offered up a fluid, yet funky rhythmic texture under a hypnotic and mystically harmonized melody.

This is imaginative, heady music-making , gentlemen! Where will you take us forum members next???

Dazzled,

LOREN

Loren,

I figured the Elephant Train line would be a"what`s that?" moment and left it in ( I believe its a Congolese cocktail served in place of James` martini).
Your reviews are awesome!! I feel honoured to have you describe your impressions of our song in your unique way.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey Robertkc, this was swell! Good choice of instruments here and very easy to listen to. The drum beat specifically is quite crunchy and good use of effects on the vocals. Well done!

Thanks for the positives, Joe!

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/26/18 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Skyline
A very accomplished piece Robert, with clever lyrics and inspired choice of RTs. The production is just right, overall a very atmospheric piece. Thanks for sharing!

John

John,
Thanks for the listen and positive comments.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Quite spellbinding!! Really like the way you used the percussion on this. Vocals are wonderful (love the double tracking)! Beautiful guitar work from Scott!! Excellent work all the way around!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
I think the all-electronic loops percussion is a first for me - I`m glad you liked it and
appreciate your support for our collaboration.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Robert and Scott,

Very nice Bond's theme!
The atmosphere has come out very well.
Scott's guitar is always wonderful but it is much better than usual this time in this tune.
The collaboration between you two really works well.
Great use of loops and effects every time.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you,Shigeki!

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/28/18 03:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Hey, after you mentioned the James Bond theme we went in with that and couldn't shake it!

Now all we can see is a lady swimming underwater as the credits roll smile

"truth lives in the myth
dies in the details
you want everything
and a witch to stir the sin"

Verse one is worth the price of admission alone...wow!!!

It's all been mentioned but the production is outstanding -- different in a very good way. We love the percussion. And the vocal. And the guitar.

Cool to the max and, as always, thought provoking.

J&B

PS: And reading the lyric with the bom, bom? Well that's Bud's initials so we were even more locked in!

J&B,
That bom bom vocal thing was intended to sound more tribal than I made it... a bridge to far, but otherwise its good to have your approval on the song and especially the production.
Thank you for that swimming lady image!

Robert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert / Scott,

Wow! Love this! You have really captured the feel of the Bond music, but with your own unique twist - outstanding stuff...

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your thumbs up.

Robert
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/28/18 05:35 PM

Very nice, a little different from your usual songs.
Excellent Scott's Gretsch's sound.

Very pleasant listen.

Sergio
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/29/18 06:48 PM
David,
I`m happy you got into this.

Sergio,
Thank you - good to see you back here!

Robert
Posted By: tommyad Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 11/30/18 09:57 AM
This definitely has that dark mysterious Bond element. I enjoyed the dreamlike lyrics and they were very well sung. Scott adds a complimentary and atmospheric guitar to it that is just right. I enjoyed, Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 12/01/18 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the awesome comments. Loved being part of the project
Posted By: edshaw Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 12/01/18 02:06 PM
Hope we hear more from this collab.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 12/02/18 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
This definitely has that dark mysterious Bond element. I enjoyed the dreamlike lyrics and they were very well sung. Scott adds a complimentary and atmospheric guitar to it that is just right. I enjoyed, Tom

Thanks fot your listen and likes Tom!

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Hope we hear more from this collab.

We`re at about 15 songs now, Ed.. and more coming.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 12/03/18 08:39 AM
Cool sounding tune guys! Love the switch over to minor chords in the verse and nice clean guitar tones! Thanks, T
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spellbound with ScottC - 12/04/18 03:51 PM
I appreciate that, Torrey... tried to inject some spy worthy tension into the chords on this.

Robert
© PG Music Forums