Posted By: Tano Music Magic Box - 11/23/18 11:30 AM
[Link no longer valid]
A kind of early Christmas-y track, instrumental
---------------------------------
Style = Funny1, Goofy 3/4 circus music
RT's:
2823, Guitarron, mariachi bass
2557, Background Cello, Waltz
All rest MIDI, incl Midi drums from Style.

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Magic Box - 11/23/18 06:06 PM
VERY well done. Definitely Christmas sounding.

And cool.

Very good mix.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Magic Box - 11/23/18 10:06 PM
Very nice, Tano! Sounds like NI's Kinetic Toys have been used for the midi?
Will
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/23/18 10:54 PM
Just used the Forte midi sounds.. Thanks Floyd and Will.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Magic Box - 11/24/18 12:08 AM
That is the niftiest piece I've heard in a while. It makes me want to dance around the Christmas tree. I loved that sound bit at the end. And it is definitely a Christmas-like tune. I am envisioning a scene in a claymation short with elves frolicking about Santa's workshop.
Posted By: rayc Re: Magic Box - 11/24/18 09:53 PM
An underlying scary clown sensation with the bass and cellos.
I need to play this loudly in the dark.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Magic Box - 11/24/18 11:01 PM
Hi Tano,

What a creative and catchy opening! Then the build with each verse just takes the pleasure higher and higher. Sounds like Christmas to me. Loved that quirky ending. Lots of fun here. Thanks for the smile on my face. Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Magic Box - 11/24/18 11:40 PM
Such a creative song. It is amazing the images that popped into my head when this was playing. A bunch of mechanical toys building more toys. Loved this
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/25/18 12:40 AM
Ezekiel, Ray, Alan, Scott..thanks for the very nice feedback..I very much appreciate you taking a few minutes to listen and comment!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Magic Box - 11/25/18 01:34 PM
Tano,

This sounds like a backing track from all those old Christmas TV shows from the 60s - very cool - nice mix as well.

Bob
Posted By: bluage Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 12:23 AM
Dear "Tano Music"...

Listening to "Magic Box" made me feel like I was a kid, again, but in a way I find it hard to put a finger on. And once again, your chord choices are unusual and chromatically colorful. The instrumentation is refreshingly diverting in its novel combination of voices, with the tuned and untuned percussion (if I'm correct) generating an atmosphere of clockwork precision that suggests a great deal of activity, of busyness, even. The waltz rhythm is perfect for imparting a sense of elegance and style to the musical proceedings.

It's a "magical" thing to listen to as the title suggests. There is a sense of innocence about it that lasts well beyond the brevity of its duration.

"Tano Music" you make music like someone who hears music in literally everything that's around him!

Absolutely charmed and delighted,

LOREN
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 12:53 AM
Bob, Loren..thanks for those nice comments.

My original idea was to write circus clown music, like the “goofy” style intended. But when I tried to link the midi drum track to the synths that I had, I got something that sounded like a music box. Then I thought of some mechanical one-man bands that I have seen, with a timpani-type pedal drum. Finally, I wanted that “boing” sound at the end—the music box is broken!

I do like to try my hand at lots of off-beat music applications: marching music, national anthem...maybe even a modern polka, or a jingle for some product..my weirdness, I guess!
Posted By: bluage Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 01:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
..my weirdness, I guess!

"Tano Music":

"Weirdness"? No. Uniqueness? Yes, absolutely!

LOREN
Posted By: dcuny Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 02:36 AM
Not at all what I expected! Cool!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 10:48 AM
David..thanks..I always took it as a compliment, and a sign of success, in my professional sales career, when a client said to me "Not at all what I expected!" (in a positive way, of course!)

I'm not intentionally trying to be different than the crowd, but just following a wide variety musical concepts without regard for boundaries of style, approach, composer-comfort, etc., with the expectation that, if it's different than what I've done in the past, then I must have learned something and expanded my scope.

Thanks for taking a listen!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 12:42 PM
Nice work on this Tano smile 100% feeling the Christmas vibes off this one. Love the progressions, and that stripped down percussion works beautifully. It also almost reminds me of something you'd find in a video game from the 90's. Like on an N64 console.

Solid job here - thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 01:47 PM
Very interesting and funny!

I am going to have to check out these styles!!

smile
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 02:38 PM
Nice song. Sounds like you channeled your inner nutcracker and maybe a little fun from the circus. I could see this being played in the background of a movie or commercial. Well done.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 05:40 PM
Thanks Samuel..
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 06:13 PM
Deryk, David...thanks for you solid feedback!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 06:44 PM
This song definitely reminded me of the upcoming Holidays. Thanks for taking the time to share!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 11/28/18 08:32 PM
Happy to get the Christmas season off to a start!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Magic Box - 12/06/18 01:15 AM
Tom,

Very cool!
A wonderful Christmas present for us.
It seems as if you turned your music toy box upside down.
Yes, it is exactly a magic box and circus clown music.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 12/06/18 08:53 AM
Thank you Shigeki for listening to my little experiment in "toy box" music!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Magic Box - 12/14/18 08:28 AM
Hi Tano,

very nice and creative work. Stunnig sounds as well. A really good listen - thanks for sharing.

Take care, Stefan
Posted By: musician17 Re: Magic Box - 12/14/18 08:42 AM
Superb!!! Brilliant and original. Yes, perhaps a little of the Nutcracker is there, purely as an influence only, but you've taken it somewhere else entirely. The ending had me grinning from ear to ear. Bravo!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Magic Box - 12/20/18 07:01 PM
Just what we needed for the season!

It's so cool to hear something that is not shop worn this time of year.

Very creative and cool!!

J&B
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Magic Box - 12/20/18 09:23 PM
Stefan, James, J&B...thanks for the supportive feedback...”nutcracker”—that’s a real good descriptor for what I was trying to achieve!
© PG Music Forums