PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Dance Delihla Dance - 11/24/18 05:02 PM
Dance Delihla Dance

I hope no one minds me posting one so soon after the previous one. I may not get to post another one for a week or two as Di's health continues to decline and she requires more and more attention.

As far as the spelling of "Delihla" - I'm aware that's not the common spelling of the name. But the daughter of a friend spells hers that way and I decided to use it as such. She was very happy!

I really have no idea about genre for this one. It has some gypsy, folk, pop, tin pin alley elements, but they seem to be equally divided in characteristic weight. I have to call it something when I load it up on Songtradr! Of course, any other comments are welcome. All tracks are acoustic Real Tracks and I simply molest the vocals.

To me, this has somewhat of a Leon Redbone sound, except I can't sing that quirky way he does.

The other stuff:

Title: _THROTLE Demo - Throttle Acoustic Rckabilly Solo
File:Dance Delihla Dance.SGU
Key=C#m, Tempo 190, Length (m:s)=3:22

Style is _THROTLE.STY (Throttle Acoustic Rckabilly Solo)

RealTracks in style: 2907:Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
RealTracks in style: 1868:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist WesternSwingRob Sw 165
RealTracks in style: 2520:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChickSlowJoe Sw16 085 (Simple)
RealTracks in style: 2519:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChickSlowHighJoe Sw16 085 (Simple)
RealTracks in song: ~611:Mandolin, Rhythm Fast Chop Sw 190
Loop in Song: Metronome\Jazz - swing_168e_ride_hat2 sw8.wav
RealDrums in style: RockabillySwing^04-a:SideStick 8th, b:Tom 8th

Dance Delihla Dance
© 2018 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Randall, BMI

(v1)
On Friday nights she appears, at the bar on Fourth and Grand
The sun’s asleep while the stars shine bright and cast a mystic trance
The crowd makes way, the men all shout, when she steps onto the floor
The band strikes up an eerie sound and Delihla starts to dance

CHORUS
Dance Delihla dance, you drive the men all wild
Dance Delihla dance, as you flash that wicked smile
You twirl your skirt, laugh and flirt, some say you’re Satan’s child
Dance Delihla dance, you drive the men all wild

(v2)
She blew into town one night, with a late September storm
She roped the wind, called its bluff, and rode it through the fray
Like a shadow in the dark, she refuses to be found
No one knows where she stays, or where she spends the day

CHORUS

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

(v3)
If she is the devil’s kin, there ain’t a man who cares
They’d sell their soul for any price, just to see her dance
She leaves a veil of mystic glow, with every move she makes
Each one thinks he’ll be one, to get that special glance

CHORUS

INSTRUMENTAL VERSE

CHORUS
Posted By: rsdean Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/24/18 06:02 PM
Alan,

I absolutely love the feel of this song. It swings throughout and your voice is perfect!

Great mix and track selection...

Bob
Posted By: rayc Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/24/18 09:47 PM
Cool song.
The reso works well in the setting.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/24/18 10:06 PM
Al,

Great swing folk song. I like the lyrics- she sounds like quite a gal!
That Leon Redbone feel comes through ( your vocals sound quirky enough for this style to me), with some female backup harmonies it could also be a Dan Hicks number.
Sweet, a real toe-tapper.

Robert
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/24/18 10:47 PM
I love this chorus lyric: "You twirl your skirt, laugh and flirt, some say you’re Satan’s child/Dance Delihla dance, you drive the men all wild." Good stuff! Appropriate instrumentation for this piece: The spirit matches the lyric. It's got pep!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/24/18 11:34 PM
Another awesome tune Alan. I must say I was very tired when I listen but when the resonator kicked in boy did that perk me up. This was such a cool song. One of your best vocals and lyrics. Such a neat rhythm to the song. Well done..
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

I absolutely love the feel of this song. It swings throughout and your voice is perfect!

Great mix and track selection...

Bob

Thanks so much, Robert. I appreciate those very kind words. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 01:38 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool song.
The reso works well in the setting.

Thanks a bunch, Ray. Much appreciated. And yeah, when I slapped that reso into the mix, I was sold immediately. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 01:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,

Great swing folk song. I like the lyrics- she sounds like quite a gal!
That Leon Redbone feel comes through ( your vocals sound quirky enough for this style to me), with some female backup harmonies it could also be a Dan Hicks number.
Sweet, a real toe-tapper.

Robert

Robert,

Many thanks for the nice comments. Yep, Delihla was quite the vamp! Glad the Leon Redbone aura came through. I tried doing it in that baritone, monotone voice he sings in but it sounded pretty cheesy - maybe some other time!

I'm not familiar with Dan Hicks - gonna check him out. Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I love this chorus lyric: "You twirl your skirt, laugh and flirt, some say you’re Satan’s child/Dance Delihla dance, you drive the men all wild." Good stuff! Appropriate instrumentation for this piece: The spirit matches the lyric. It's got pep!

Ez,

Many thanks for all that - I sure do appreciate it. That chorus just fell into place. From first word written until the final version, as sung, was less than fifteen minutes. I love it when that happens! Wish it happened more often!

Like I told Ray, when I sampled that reso for the song, it just made it glow, to the point I'm capable of doing so.

Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another awesome tune Alan. I must say I was very tired when I listen but when the resonator kicked in boy did that perk me up. This was such a cool song. One of your best vocals and lyrics. Such a neat rhythm to the song. Well done..

Scott,

You are much too kind - but no need to stop! Many thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to write and came together pretty quickly. Wishing you the best.

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 11:42 AM
An entertaining tune, Alan.

Nicely written, good gathering of instruments and a good mix.

Seems to me you have a somewhat Leon Redbone sound going there - it works! (though he would likely add a trombone or tuba - or both...)

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 11:50 AM
Alan...loved the Redbone homage! I saw him in person a number of years ago, and his unique style & personality is always somewhere there in my creative memory...loved this approach.

How cool to hear a 'new' style, created from imagination like this...I think it was great.

Your choice of RT's and other components was right on, totally supported the idea you're wanting to get across.

I don't know about 'vocal molestation'; I think it was just right for this song!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 04:26 PM
Al, this is a fine gypsy swing tune. Good job on the vocal. Everything works well and sounds good. I enjoyed it, Tom
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/25/18 05:04 PM
Love the groove! I'm hearing the Leon Redbone thing too. Good song, Alan, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
An entertaining tune, Alan.

Nicely written, good gathering of instruments and a good mix.

Seems to me you have a somewhat Leon Redbone sound going there - it works! (though he would likely add a trombone or tuba - or both...)

Enjoyed.

fj

Hi Floyd,

Thanks so much for the listen and kind comments. The leon redbone sound is exactly what i was going for. I long been a fan of his quirky but entertaining style.

Wishing you the best.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 01:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Alan...loved the Redbone homage! I saw him in person a number of years ago, and his unique style & personality is always somewhere there in my creative memory...loved this approach.

How cool to hear a 'new' style, created from imagination like this...I think it was great.

Your choice of RT's and other components was right on, totally supported the idea you're wanting to get across.

I don't know about 'vocal molestation'; I think it was just right for this song!

Tano,

I'm envious - would love to see him in person. I first saw him on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show back in the 80s. I've been a fan for more years than I can remember. Thank you for those very kind words. I experiment with altering many of the BIAN styles - sometimes it works out okay. He's the only famous musician I know of originally from the Island of Cypress.

Unlike my wife, Di, vocals are always my weak point. I have a very limited vocal range and somewhat monotoned. She can sing anything in almost any key - well, she could before her health tanked a few years back. This one came out halfway decent I guess. Vocal processors are some of my best friends!

Many thanks! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Al, this is a fine gypsy swing tune. Good job on the vocal. Everything works well and sounds good. I enjoyed it, Tom

Thank ya so much, Tom! I appreciate that. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 01:39 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love the groove! I'm hearing the Leon Redbone thing too. Good song, Alan, enjoyed the listen!

Dave,

Thanks a big bunch! I'm a huge Leon Redbone fan. Nice to hear I did a an okay job representing it. Best top you.

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 12:37 PM
What a tune! Super catchy, and wonderful groove. Top notch vocal delivery on top of that, and I love the playful nature of the tune. Got my toe tapping in seconds, and I might just have that chorus stuck in my head all day.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 01:56 PM
I remember Leon Redbone!

this is excellent, nice write

good to hear your vocals again

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: furry Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/26/18 06:10 PM
Hi Alan, no need to apologise, I could listen to your music 24-7. Love a good swingy style like this.
You'd have a dance floor jumpin with this on no bother
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/27/18 01:26 PM
Many thanks to everyone who has commented since my last appearance here. I appreciate it so much. This was a fun song to write and finding the right backing tracks led me to some more interesting RTs I might use in later songs. Again, thank you very much.

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/27/18 02:59 PM
Hi Alan
Super tune. Very fun to listen!
I was not familiar with Delihla (Delilah) before your song, so I had to look her up smile

About a month ago, I was reading about "Little Egypt" a pioneer belly dancer of 19th century. Supposedly Mark Twain had a near heart attack experience watching her dance...
Maybe she should become a muse for your new song smile

Best regards,
Misha.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/27/18 03:19 PM
Hi Misha,

Thank you very much! Glad you liked it.

Yes, Little Egypt would be perfect muse. I'm familiar with her but she didn't cross my mind as I wrote this. Also, Mark Twain grew up just a few miles from where I grew up - but a few years before I did! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/27/18 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, the Redbone vocal feel is assuredly there...and that is a good thing. Makes us wanna go back and revisit some of his catalog.

This is an excellent write and a ton of fun. Not a throw away line in there. Great cinematic imagery.

The dobro was quite the surprise and it fit nicely into what is a fine arrangement and mix.

Catchy and fun...in the best sense of those two often use words.

We much enjoyed it!!!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/27/18 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Oh yeah, the Redbone vocal feel is assuredly there...and that is a good thing. Makes us wanna go back and revisit some of his catalog.

This is an excellent write and a ton of fun. Not a throw away line in there. Great cinematic imagery.

The dobro was quite the surprise and it fit nicely into what is a fine arrangement and mix.

Catchy and fun...in the best sense of those two often use words.

We much enjoyed it!!!

J&B

Howdy Folks,

Thanks for those very nice comments! And I, too, have been a Leon Redbone fan for many years - back into the mid-to-late 1980s. That subtle, understated baritone voice always makes me smile when I hear it. I'm delighted that influence showed through on this one.

The reso/dobro took me by surprise when I heard it but I just couldn't pass on it. I considered a trumpet or clarinet, in typical Redbone style. But, as I said, the reso/dobro refused to go away.

Again, thanks so much! Also, I like your new avatar!

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/28/18 12:29 AM
Great mood to this one Alan!! The music and the lyrics marry so well together. Love the resonator.....different than I've heard that RT used before but very effective. Very cool song!! Say hi to Di. Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/28/18 02:43 AM
I enjoyed this one a lot, especially the resonator instrumental. Retro and cool.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/28/18 05:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great mood to this one Alan!! The music and the lyrics marry so well together. Love the resonator.....different than I've heard that RT used before but very effective. Very cool song!! Say hi to Di. Take care. Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks a bunch! When I stumbled onto that reso, it wouldn't quit nagging me, so I used it. Glad I did. Appreciate all those very nice words. Looking forward to your next one. Everything you record sounds like magic at its best. best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/28/18 05:18 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I enjoyed this one a lot, especially the resonator instrumental. Retro and cool.

Thanks David,

I think the reso is the star of this one - so glad I stumbled onto it. "Retro and coo;" - I like that. Thank you. Wishing you the best.

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 11/28/18 06:53 AM
Alan

Really good in all respects. Nice set of lyrics and it swings very nicely. Agree with all the other comments regarding Leon Redbone.
Nice work.

Peter
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 12/02/18 02:36 PM
Dear Alan,

don't know where to begin... What a catchy song. An absolutely professional production. The write, the lyrics, the way you sing and play - just stunning. You impress me again and again and again. Thanks a lot for sharing this awesome song - I LOVE IT !!!!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 12/03/18 12:46 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

Really good in all respects. Nice set of lyrics and it swings very nicely. Agree with all the other comments regarding Leon Redbone.
Nice work.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the listen and the nice comments. And yes, I like leon redbone's quirky style. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 12/03/18 12:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Dear Alan,

don't know where to begin... What a catchy song. An absolutely professional production. The write, the lyrics, the way you sing and play - just stunning. You impress me again and again and again. Thanks a lot for sharing this awesome song - I LOVE IT !!!!

Take care,

Stefan

Guten Tag, Stefan,

Thank you very much! Coming from an entertainer of your calibre, I am deeply humbled. I'm totally delighted you enjoyed all aspects of the song. Love your comments. Many thanks.

Ich wünsche Sie sehr am besten!

Alan
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Dance Delihla Dance - 12/08/18 01:36 AM
Alan,

Nice groove!
Catchy minor swing!
The various elements really mixed so well.
Folk, Country, Jazz, Gypsy, etc.
I cannot say which genre it should be categorized, but it is a very fun song.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi
© PG Music Forums