PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 02:27 PM
New country tune. This was inspired by the lack of country music in the CMA show the other week.

Say It In A Song New version

Here's the band

Bass 995
Drums Nville ev 8
Guitar 1681 & 2499
Mando 1948
Piano 2026
Steel 1670 & 2541

I played the Tele on the rhythm and lead

This is a quick write and mix.... let me know what you think.

EDIT: Lyrics might not be exact....

Down on 16th avenue, where guitars used to play
The legends of the honky tonks now ghosts from yesterday
It's still called country music but I really think they're wrong
There's something strange in Nashville and you can't even hum along

Country music's still alive but not on the radio
You find it in the honky tonks and internet downloads
But you won't find Merle or Willie, and George Strait ain't around
Steel guitars and fiddles have been replaced by synthized sounds

Ohh Ohh they say country music died
Ohh Ohh I'm here to tell you that they lied
Ohh Ohh I'll play my guitar all night long
Ohh Ohh and I'll say it in a song

This song's for the players, still out on the road
Singing from the bottom of their heart, living for the show.
On stages all across this land keep the legacy alive
What comes around can go around this country boy will survive
Posted By: rsdean Re: Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 03:48 PM
Herb,

This is great! Love the song and especially the chorus... Outstanding vocal and production - the guitars are excellent.

Bob
Posted By: furry Re: Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 06:05 PM
Love it Herb, good traditional country style
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 07:47 PM

This is really cool, Herb. Love the arrangement and mix.

The lyrics are pretty funny. Are you planning on posting them?

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 08:12 PM
Fun song, Herb. Good write.

The mix seems crowded in the middle. The mandolin and steel and acoustic all sound like they are almost centered and since they are all pretty busy they aren't leaving much room for your vocal to breathe. The bass could use some oomph. Your guitar work is nice. This would sound good with some harmony in the choruses.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 09:16 PM
I really loved your use of the piano! It added a nice bit of character to the song. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Jim Re: Say It In A Song - 11/26/18 09:43 PM
Nice write, Herb... my sentiments exactly... I guess I could plagiarize Moe Bandy by saying
"Herb Hartley, You Wrote My Song"
Posted By: Al-David Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 03:04 AM
Terrific song, Herb. I paid a lot of bills and ate a lot steak, thanks to music like this. It also kept me off the streets and, mostly, outta trouble. Spent a lot of that money at Denny's Restaurants between 2:00 am and 5:00 am!

Not to get too deep into today's Nashville stuff is or isn't country ... it's just not the country we grew up with and loved then as well as now. But good songs like this still put a smile on the faces of folks like me. Enjoyed it much!

Alan
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 12:53 PM
hi herb crisp and clear mix really excellent love this great production thanks eric
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 12:55 PM
What a tune! It has all the qualities of a country classic. The piano work here is stunning, and the groove is playful and infectious. Nicely catchy as well smile

Great work and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 04:25 PM
RS Dean, Furry, David, Floyd, Ember, Jim, Al-David, Eric & Deryk.....

thanks for listening. Floyd, I took your advice and kicked things out of the center a bit and threw in some harmonies.... No vocal correction and one shot takes.

Thanks for all the nice comments and I'm hoping you take the opportunity to listen to this new version. No big changes, just a few subtle things that are different.

I have a few other tunes in the pipeline and hope to get them out the door this week.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 04:34 PM
I'll echo Bob - outstanding. Clear vocals, catchy chorus, great production. Fun listen. smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 05:42 PM
Herb,

I listened to the newer version and it sounds terrific. Each backing track seems to have its own lane now and the song, as a whole, sounds a little more crisp (as in clear and precise). I think ya hit the sweet spot for this one. Nice work!

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 07:15 PM
Herb, I listened earlier but wasn’t able to comment. The new version really does sound a lot better. Well written and very well sung. The harmonies helped to make the chorus bigger. The production and arrangement are in the right spot. No nits here. I liked it a lot. Well done, Tom
Posted By: Jim Re: Say It In A Song - 11/27/18 08:37 PM
I listened to the new version & it sounds good... Unfortunately I can't do an AB test... Your line "There's something strange in Nashville and you can't even hum along" reminds me of those singers who perform vocal acrobatics before seemingly finding the correct note to sing wink
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Say It In A Song - 11/28/18 12:37 AM
Love the sentiment!!! I don't listen to much country, except on this forum, but I'm usually not impressed by what I hear (outside the forum that is). Unfortunately feel the same way about pop and most new singer-songwriter. This is really well done...a great tribute to those who refuse to go down. Thanks Herb!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Say It In A Song - 11/28/18 03:43 PM
David Cuny,
Al David
Tommy
Jim
Greg

Thanks for dropping in (again) and having a listen.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Say It In A Song - 11/28/18 05:11 PM

Really nice song and perfect country style.
Sergio
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Say It In A Song - 12/01/18 04:37 PM
Helping keep it alive!

Thanks! And we enjoyed it...

J&B
© PG Music Forums