PG Music Home
Posted By: Samuel Davis Heat Of The Moment - 11/28/18 02:55 PM

I decided to create this instrumental last night using BIAB and some new plugins I got from Audio Assult. I used the direct input option on all of the guitar parts and bass (first time doing this) and then used an amp simulator (Dominator) on them to get a dark gritty sound. Also used a new saturation plugin (Head Crusher) on all of the tracks. All editing was done in Cubase.

Realtracks:
1827:Bass, Electric, Pop Modern Groove
1831:Electric, Rhythm, Pop Modern Groove Bright
1834:Guitar, Electric, Pop Modern Groove Chorus
1842:Synth Pad,Pop Modern Grove
Real Drums = Pop Modern Groove Sync 16
2203:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Pop Promise Brent
2019:Sax, Tenor, Soloist Pop Country Mark

Video created using Magic Music Visuals
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/
Posted By: rayc Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/28/18 10:37 PM
The "string" things are really pretty good but don't get a mention.
The amp sims are OK, (it's all very subjective stuff in that zone) and they do well in this mix and the crusher does it's job well.
I use PSP Vintage Warmer 2 for saturation and it's a keeper. I went without it for a month when I upgraded machines but had to get it again for W10/64.
The sax is, surprisingly not very country.
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/28/18 11:12 PM
I think the visuals go really well with the song, except they don't really change, so I don't see the point of them. But good listening.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/28/18 11:14 PM
Excellent tune Samuel. Some excellent instrument choices. Loved the backtrack and sax
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/28/18 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc

I use PSP Vintage Warmer 2 for saturation and it's a keeper. I went without it for a month when I upgraded machines but had to get it again for W10/64.
The sax is, surprisingly not very country.

I use to use Ferric TDS. I loved that vst but it's only 32bit and Cubase 9 doesn't support 32 bit plugins.

The sax does not sound very country in this setting but then again is a sax really a country instrument? lol
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/28/18 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
I think the visuals go really well with the song, except they don't really change, so I don't see the point of them. But good listening.

Thanks Marty. I'm trying to switch to using YouTube more instead of SoundCloud. The quality is better and there are more people over there. You could just leave a black screen I guess but having some sort of visuals looks better.
Posted By: bluage Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 04:42 AM
This "Heat of the Moment" really delivers on the "heat"! It's dark and bluesy, soulful and swaggering, and all at the same time. It's got a gritty groove, too.

This song benefits from being put together with one of the most atmospheric RealTrack combinations I've ever heard on the User's Forum in a good while. The sound is almost downbeat.

Strong stuff with no chaser,

LOREn
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 01:13 PM
Nice work on this one smile A different kind of vibe from you for sure, but you pulled it off gloriously. I found the saxophone fitted in well with everything else going on, personally. Love the groove as well - got my toe tapping right from the get go.

Great job - thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 03:13 PM
Not so sure about the pole dancers - I guess because of the title?

The production sounds very good on the KRK's.

The gritty sound here works well...a bit startling agains the clean sax but not out of place to us.

This oughta be a good one for Songtrdar....nice and cinematic in the groove and sound!

J&B

PS: I use DI whenever it's available. It has taught me a lot about finding the right guitar sound for the mix.

Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 03:20 PM
In regards to the video, I think the pulsating logo in the center was probably enough of a visual. So long as there is some sort of movement I think you're fine. But hey - we're not here to talk about the video really, are we? Just the music!

The music sounds great. I feel like the sax didn't quite fit all the way (even though it sounded great) as it has a much smoother sound compared to the rest of the song which has an almost gritty feel to it. The guitar definitely fit perfectly!

Thanks for taking the time to share!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 03:27 PM
Nice work.

The drums have a nice snare pop.

Sax.... IMHO works with whatever as long as it's tastefully done.... and this is.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 03:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

The production sounds very good on the KRK's.

The gritty sound here works well...a bit startling agains the clean sax but not out of place to us.

This oughta be a good one for Songtrdar....nice and cinematic in the groove and sound!

J&B

PS: I use DI whenever it's available. It has taught me a lot about finding the right guitar sound for the mix.

Had to look up what KRKs were lol. I use JBL LSR305 monitors. I try to go between them and headphones to find a good balance.

This is first time using the DI option but might do it more often to see what sounds I can sculpt.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/29/18 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nice work.

The drums have a nice snare pop.

Sax.... IMHO works with whatever as long as it's tastefully done.... and this is.

Thanks Guitarhacker.

I on the drums I used a Neutron preset called "Rocknrollizer" I think. Then added a little extra snap with Audio Assault's Pumper knob.

I agree sex goes well with everything... Oh I mean sax lol
Posted By: rayc Re: Heat Of The Moment - 11/30/18 07:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis

I use to use Ferric TDS. I loved that vst but it's only 32bit and Cubase 9 doesn't support 32 bit plugins.

I started using TDS when I was trying to get VW2 for my W10 64. It works fine with 64 Reaper - REALLY well in fact. The problem I found with my new comp is that VSTs often load in weird places and VW2 refused to be loaded almost anywhere THEN one day it loaded in the right place & I'm happy again. The Reaper 32 wrapper can glitch for a second when loading a project but is, generally, very stable.
© PG Music Forums