PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 12:30 PM
This song was started at about the same time as my last post. It's a darker look at things.

The instruments are all BB with RT's except the Tele.... lead mostly. See if you can figure out who I was attempting to channel on that lead.

Once In A Lifetime

This was a combo of the hard rock styles and baritone vibrato guitar. The tracks and style are:

Bass: 1418
Drums: Southern even
B3: 689
Guitar 642, 639, 1042, 2444

Live tele on the lead solo and fills to the ending.

And the style is Diesel: heavy southern rock

The lyrics:

Steel and concrete all around shadows move across the ground
Sounds of silence on the radio flashing lights to tell me where to go
Darkness on the city streets, Lovers tangled up in sheets
Windows wide open to beat the summer heat oh the summer heat

Once in a lifetime, someone special comes along
Once in a lifetime, you write that magic song
Once in a lifetime you really get to live
Once in a lifetime

Lonely people everywhere, living life, don't really care
Content to simply sit and stare, at nothing ..... at nothing
Day by day life passes by, amazing how time just flies
Pleasure and pain are just the same.. in the blink of an eye in the blink of an eye

I used a few things on this that I don't usually use.
Sonic expander on the mains, and multivoice chorus on the guitar. The dirty sounding beat freqs on the second part of the solo are intentional and done by letting certain strings ring while holding a very close note on a different string. I liked it so I left it as opposed to redoing it clean.

Comments as always are appreciated. The writing, the mix, the playing, the weather....

Edit: Put on some nice cans and crank this baby up
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 01:44 PM
Well done Guitarhacker, what a marvelous song I might say! The different elements really glue well together and very soothing to hear. Excellent guitar riffs too. Great work!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 03:25 PM
I would definitely be interested to know which RealTracks you used! I love being able to see how people utilize which RealTracks. This sounds really great, though! You should definitely be proud of this one.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 03:38 PM
Joe: glad you like this. Thanks for the compliment on the licks.... I liked this solo as well.

Ember: I edited the main post to include the tracks

Bass: 1418
Drums: Southern even
B3: 689
Guitar 642, 639, 1042, 2444

And the style is Diesel: heavy southern rock
Posted By: Jim Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 06:18 PM
A very good song Herb... your verses elegantly lead right into the chorus... I can't find any wasted words on this one... BTW I like that line "Lovers tangled up in sheets"... the imagery is excellent... Of course, your songs always seem so well written.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 06:52 PM
Herb,

A cool vibe on this one. Nice combination of guitars. The organ sounds good too.

You did a good job on the vocals (I thought they could use a touch more warmth). Nice leads.

When turned up loud (per your suggestion), the drums get kind of crispy, and therefore, compete with the vocal a bit. So I think a warmer drum mix would suit the style.

I enjoyed the song. A nice "dark rock" write. (kinda Neil Young-ish)

fj
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/29/18 10:26 PM
Very, very good song!

I'll say something that will probably sound a bit irrational or even crazy, but your song got me thinking of Uriah Heep and some of their best songs ...like Stealing... I know it is very different, but still... (well I am probably just mad)...

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it!
Will
Posted By: tommyad Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/30/18 10:06 AM
Sounds good Herb! The guitars are great and you did a fine job on the vocals. The bg vocals work well. I liked the write and the production. Good one, Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Once In A Lifetime - 11/30/18 02:12 PM
Jim... thanks for listening. I always try to get good imagery into the lyrics. To me, that's the purpose of lyrics.

Floyd... I used some FX on the vox as well as the drums. Drums had a slapback as did the vox. Very low level. Neil Young.... I'll take that any day.

Will... Uriah Heep..... Stealing.... now I'm gonna have to dig out my black vinyl and have a listen. UH was an influential band in my early days. Easy Living was a favorite. Thanks for listening and I'm glad it triggered that memory.

Tommy... Thanks. Always good to hear your comments on my tunes.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Once In A Lifetime - 12/01/18 04:47 PM
Floyd beat us to the comment...yeah it has a Neil Young feel which is a bit ironic given that it has some Southern Rock tracks smile

It all works for us -- particularly the vocal FX.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Once In A Lifetime - 12/02/18 11:59 AM
Janice & Bud.... thanks for dropping in and setting a while.

I don't often use FX on vox or guitars but I felt this one needed something extra....

Thanks again.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Once In A Lifetime - 12/03/18 04:35 PM
Excellent Herb!! Great production/arrangement. Some great dark lyrics. And, you really make that guitar sing ala David Gilmour! Great stuff!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums