if she cared at all, she didn't let it show
so i stopped talking to her

tried everything that I can think
   drama and drugs, the devil's drink
   any recipe to make me forget
   nothin's workin' yet
   nothin's workin' yet
   nothin's workin' yet

Well... I did manage to find the BAND I was looking for...

RealTracks in style: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1945:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GroovinFolk Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted16thsFintan Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 2667:Pedal Steel, Background DreamySingleNote Ev 075
RealDrums in Song: BossaBrushesPerc^1-a:Congas, No Kit , b:Congas, Shaker, Triangle, No Kit

Thanks for listening.
And for any comments.

floyd
Posted By: RichMac Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 11/30/18 06:27 PM
Hi Floyd

Sometimes something comes along that suits a jaded state of mind. Nothing too dramatic.
Just Hmmmmm.
Like everything about it.

Cheers.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 11/30/18 06:41 PM
floyd

Nothin' except the song which works on all levels. A gorgeous mix, and subtle vocal to go along with a wonderfully crafted lyric.

All class.

Peter
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 11/30/18 08:24 PM

Dear Mr. Jane,

Thank you for submitting your song to our Nashville evaluation service.

First, you say that the song is called Nothing's Working Yet, but yet you start by talking about a martini made of gin. Why didn't you call the song Martini? You are not helping the listener find the hook. Also, no one knows what gin is. Is that a type of card game?

To make matters worse, you say Jesus is not listening to you so you stopped talking to him. Most people would say that if you get caught talking out loud to Jesus, you are crazy and need to be locked up. But you could put that in the bridge with your card game. Please listen to the radio more. They will show you how.

And what is all this about the devil's drink being a recipe? No one has ever seen a devil's drink in a recipe book Mr. Jane. How do you expect the listener to know what is going on?

Kidding!!!!!!!!

Loved this song. One of my favorites.

I just had to go on a rampage there. Sorry. Nashville writers know why.

But don't give up on Jesus quite yet. He may be the only one around to help when the world finally DOES make you lose your mind.

Just sayin'.

smile

Great song.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 12:54 AM
Hey there floyd jane, great work on this! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the instruments are layered nicely. The guitar sure howls! Keep it up!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 07:41 AM
Oh, I like this!

Love the stripped down arrangement, you had me right from the start with those two acoustic guitars playing off each other, works really well. The subtle use of the pedal steel and that Bossa Percussion is perfect.

Love the vocal, especially when you bring the harmonies in for the second verse.

Very nice, floyd!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 08:38 AM
Another well produced song, Clean, Strong recording and the Floyd feeling, makes this flow in style.

What was the inspiration for the lyrics ?.

Thanks.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 09:01 AM
Another super tune Floyd. I also loved the laid back feel of the song. Your vocal was very special on this song. I to loved how the two guitars fit together very cool. Well done Floyd..
Posted By: rsdean Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 10:04 AM
Floyd,

I love this... My favorite "Floyd song" to date. The instrumentation is wonderful, as is the overall write. Your understated vocal really brings it all home.

Just the best...

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 11:10 AM
Hello Floyd,

When your mind is still happily treading the terrific journey this song takes the listener on, it's hard to concentrate in order to write/say something about it. But I'll try.

The two acoustics play off each other so nicely. And dang, that percussion is the perfect fit. Music-wise and lyric-wise, the simplicity of this song is actually the driving force. It has everything it needs and not a single thing it doesn't. The old theory - I'm sure you're familiar with it - is throw in everything that might fit and then keep taking things away until there's nothing more to take away that hurts the essence of the song. That's what this song is - a journey in listening pleasure and an example of how to craft a terrific song. I think ya got this songwritin' thing down pretty good - well, maybe better than pretty good!

A tip of the sombrero to a superb craftsman.

Alan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 12:00 PM
Your lyrics are poetry, and that ain't hyperbole. Loved the song. I'll be listening to it again and again.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 12:24 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dear Mr. Jane,

First, you say that the song is called Nothing's Working Yet, but yet you start by talking about a martini made of gin. Why didn't you call the song Martini? You are not helping the listener find the hook. Also, no one knows what gin is. Is that a type of card game?

To make matters worse, you say Jesus is not listening to you so you stopped talking to him. Most people would say that if you get caught talking out loud to Jesus, you are crazy and need to be locked up. But you could put that in the bridge with your card game. Please listen to the radio more. They will show you how.

And what is all this about the devil's drink being a recipe? No one has ever seen a devil's drink in a recipe book Mr. Jane. How do you expect the listener to know what is going on?

Kidding!!!!!!!!

But don't give up on Jesus quite yet. He may be the only one around to help when the world finally DOES make you lose your mind.

Just sayin'.

smile

Great song.

Now that right there is funny if it wasn't true. One of the main reasons I stopped sending songs to NSAI. David, I thought you had hacked my NSAI expired account. That had me going for a minute..... thought I was having a flashback to one of my reviews.

Anyway....

Hey, a great song that kinda grew on me as I was listening. Started out ... this is interesting.... then as it went on, I was a fan by the end. That's called drawing them in and converting them in 3 minutes.

You did a fine job as always on the song.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 01:21 PM
Now Herb, I must make it perfectly clear that this was a harmless little silly joke that is kind of an inside joke between me and Floyd, and if I WASN'T joking, then I clearly would be talking about:

Dirty Dick's Nashville Crab Shack and Song Evaluation and Demo Services.

If I WASN'T joking--which, I am, just to be clear, good dear buddy and friend.

smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 02:26 PM
Floyd,

Wow! Understated and all the more real for that... these lyrics are so well crafted.
Everything fits on the production ( been wanting to use that muted acoustic guitar track -it sounds great the way you paired & panned it here).
What songwriting is all about!

Robert
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 02:54 PM
AND THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMIN'!!!. Mr. Jane another winner. Love the lyrics as they usually grab my attention first. Good country vibe.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 03:13 PM
love it!

This song just showcases how much you've got this down,

This thing that we're all drawn or compelled to try and do

on this forum.

Damned near perfect recording, the mix, the vocals, writing, and the heart,

The sentiment, the mood, the feeling in this is conveyed in that subtle

way that only an artist can achieve.

I'm a fan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd

Sometimes something comes along that suits a jaded state of mind. Nothing too dramatic.
Just Hmmmmm.
Like everything about it.

Cheers.

Richard - it is nice to see you drop by. Glad you liked this one. (you need to be posting some songs!)
Posted By: edshaw Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 06:13 PM
What a moving refelction on life's downs. Would I be out of line to quote the old saying about "a hair of the dog that bit me,"?
Very well crafted recording.
On another serious side, my associates and I are right now discussing the long term consequences of drug and alcohol abuse. The first two lines of your song are relevent to something called "rebranding."
Carry on, Floyd. Always a pleasure.
Posted By: Jim Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 06:16 PM
A well written & produced song... I enjoyed it.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 08:10 PM
You surely have the ability to find the right sound to convey the message. The muted acoustic and the single string atmospheric steel used sparingly are two good examples of the less is more approach used here. What struck me besides the well written lyrics "my heart locked in an endless scream" was the understated vocal. Perfect harmonies and mix that is executed with a pro touch. Thankfully for all of us you never run out of interesting things to say. Another amazing composition, Tom
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/01/18 09:48 PM
Hello mr. Floyd Jane,

I didn't know you before joining this forum a few months ago, but I must admit that I have become a fan just by listening to a few of your songs.

It is not a style of music that I do or can do, but the fact that you are able to spellbind me when listening to your songs, just tells even more about your talent - your songwriting, composing and mixing is just first class.

I love the percussion on this track, I love the build up and the lyrics (although "spent a little time with this girl I know - money changing hands no need to take it slow" for a few seconds made me wondering what kind of woman you were singing about). smile

Very well done!
Will
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/02/18 11:02 AM
Hey Floyd… I always learn something when I listen to your work… This was really comfortable, as a listen (in spite of the darkness!} . I enjoyed the easy pace, And I think you really did find the right band for this crap.

(Ok... this is why you have to really double-check voice recording… Sometimes you want to say “crack”… There it goes again! I’m trying to say TRACK! )

One thing in particular I was paying attention to was the way that you used your voice doubling, leading off the verses, sometimes starting off solo, then adding a double...I’m sure you did that with intention as an emphasis/color technique.

I’m also listening closely to how you slowly and easily roll the sing words off in your melody line. I never see you crowding too many words into a line, and sometimes, as I read along, I think “well, there’s not going to be enough words to finish that melodic line”, but you have a way of holding back and placing those choice words beautifully. Thanks for sharing your great work!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/02/18 01:16 PM
Hello Floyd,

you really caught me with this one. Great lyrics wrapped in a fantastic song. I think most of us guys have experienced that desparate state of mind you're singing about. And the way you sing is unbelievably expressive.

What a treat, it's really reaching the most hidden parts of my soul. Thanks a lot, Floyd.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/02/18 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Nothin' except the song which works on all levels. A gorgeous mix, and subtle vocal to go along with a wonderfully crafted lyric.

All class.

Peter

Thanks for that nice review, Peter...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/03/18 11:51 AM
"blow a little smoke, just one more thing
trying to soften this shattered dream
my heart locked in an endless scream
how much more can it endure"

You have a helluva talent for expressing everyday/every person feelings in ways that are NEVER time worn or hackneyed.
I know that is the hallmark of a great writer but it is something that we've come to appreciate more and more from studying your songs.

And with writing, performing, arranging, mixing and mastering your songs you are able to take those great lyrics and package them in way that EVERYTHING is as Gregg would say "hittin' the note." This tune is a study in that.

As Alan mentioned and we are fond of saying "perfection is found when there is nothing left to take away."

Over the top mr jane!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/03/18 04:46 PM
SWEET, SWEET, and SWEET!!!! That groove is infectious....just a peaceful Sunday afternoon groove you could listen to for hours. I LOVE the lyrics!! There is a great honesty in the writing, a feeling of naked truth and vulnerability. Definitely another one for your A-list Floyd (AND that's a big list!). LOVE IT!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/03/18 10:18 PM
Loved this song, it was exciting when your harmony first started off.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/04/18 02:04 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dear Mr. Jane,

Kidding!!!!!!!!

Just sayin'.

smile

Great song.

Meet me at Arnold's Country Kitchen on 8th Ave - these things are best discussed at a Meat & 3.

smile wink
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/04/18 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hey there floyd jane, great work on this! The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the instruments are layered nicely. The guitar sure howls! Keep it up!

Joe - thanks for stopping in for a listen...

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Oh, I like this!

Love the stripped down arrangement, you had me right from the start with those two acoustic guitars playing off each other, works really well. The subtle use of the pedal steel and that Bossa Percussion is perfect.

Love the vocal, especially when you bring the harmonies in for the second verse.

Very nice, floyd!

I do appreciate that, Dave... looking forward to what y'all might do in the coming year...
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/05/18 12:40 AM
Floyd,

Enjoyed this one a lot! The guitar on this one sounds great, really fits the tune and helps accentuate those fine lyrics and your usual strong vocal. All comes together very well; nice on the ear. Particularly like the lyrics in that chorus. Well done!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: rayc Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/05/18 07:14 AM
"from giving in to giving up, calling it a day"
That & the chorus paint details with broad strokes.
The percussion decisions are inspired.
This should be on the shelf with the sipp'n whisky.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/05/18 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Another well produced song, Clean, Strong recording and the Floyd feeling, makes this flow in style.

What was the inspiration for the lyrics ?.

Thanks.

Thanks, beatmaster.

Inspiration - this one started with the idea for the first line.

I was watching a friend make himself a martini - what he called a martini, anyway... he put some ice in a shaker, poured in 2 large jiggers of gin, poured that into a glass and dropped an olive in.

And I thought... "martini? that ain't nothing more than gin!"

When I sat down to write, I started with that line and just went from there. It just sort of flowed out in order in a little less than an hour.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/05/18 06:45 PM
Great writing, easy listening. Rarely has something so bitter come across so smooth. wink

As always, everything fits musically, and the mix is outstanding. Percussion is a high point - it doesn't distract, and feels organic.
Posted By: fgrittner Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/05/18 07:35 PM
Wonderful song, performance, and arrangement. This really got to me.

Fred
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/06/18 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another super tune Floyd. I also loved the laid back feel of the song. Your vocal was very special on this song. I to loved how the two guitars fit together very cool. Well done Floyd..

Appreciate that, Scott...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

I love this... My favorite "Floyd song" to date. The instrumentation is wonderful, as is the overall write. Your understated vocal really brings it all home.

Just the best...

Bob

Bob - I thought this one might appeal to you. So glad you like it (especially "that much")... Thanks!!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/06/18 11:24 AM
Boy, this is great Floyd, your lyrics are accented so well by the music and drums, of course the vocals are super, Love it!!!!! Cliff
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/07/18 05:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Floyd,

When your mind is still happily treading the terrific journey this song takes the listener on, it's hard to concentrate in order to write/say something about it. But I'll try.

The two acoustics play off each other so nicely. And dang, that percussion is the perfect fit. Music-wise and lyric-wise, the simplicity of this song is actually the driving force. It has everything it needs and not a single thing it doesn't. The old theory - I'm sure you're familiar with it - is throw in everything that might fit and then keep taking things away until there's nothing more to take away that hurts the essence of the song. That's what this song is - a journey in listening pleasure and an example of how to craft a terrific song. I think ya got this songwritin' thing down pretty good - well, maybe better than pretty good!

A tip of the sombrero to a superb craftsman.

Alan

Alan - Thanks for that very nice review. Appreciated.
Posted By: Skyline Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/07/18 10:12 AM
You keep surpassing yourself Floyd! All the ingredients here are so perfectly chosen: the downbeat lyric delivery and laid back dry instrumentation are just SO right, and matched by top notch arrangement and engineering.
cool
John
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/07/18 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your lyrics are poetry, and that ain't hyperbole. Loved the song. I'll be listening to it again and again.

EZ - That short review might be one of the best I've ever had. Thanks!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/08/18 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Hey, a great song that kinda grew on me as I was listening. Started out ... this is interesting.... then as it went on, I was a fan by the end. That's called drawing them in and converting them in 3 minutes.

You did a fine job as always on the song.

Thanks, Herb...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/08/18 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

Wow! Understated and all the more real for that... these lyrics are so well crafted.
Everything fits on the production ( been wanting to use that muted acoustic guitar track -it sounds great the way you paired & panned it here).
What songwriting is all about!

Robert

I really appreciate that, Robert...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/09/18 01:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
AND THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMIN'!!!. Mr. Jane another winner. Love the lyrics as they usually grab my attention first. Good country vibe.

Thanks for having a listen, Donna...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
love it!

This song just showcases how much you've got this down,

This thing that we're all drawn or compelled to try and do

on this forum.

Damned near perfect recording, the mix, the vocals, writing, and the heart,

The sentiment, the mood, the feeling in this is conveyed in that subtle

way that only an artist can achieve.

I'm a fan

I certainly could not ask for a better review than that, Kenny. Thanks! (Of course, I could say the same of your music...)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/09/18 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
What a moving refelction on life's downs. Would I be out of line to quote the old saying about "a hair of the dog that bit me,"?
Very well crafted recording.
On another serious side, my associates and I are right now discussing the long term consequences of drug and alcohol abuse. The first two lines of your song are relevent to something called "rebranding."
Carry on, Floyd. Always a pleasure.

Thanks, Ed...

Originally Posted By: Jim
A well written & produced song... I enjoyed it.

Thanks, Jim...
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/09/18 05:42 PM
Floyd, this song is so packed with great lyric content! Just one line after another of beautiful work! I don't think it would be too presumptuous of me to state that the majority of this forum community holds you in very high esteem and we are in awe of your writing skills! This is another one to add to your book of great songs! Thanks,T
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/09/18 06:21 PM
I'm hearing a hint of Dylan in here, just a tad. Your writing is always top shelf, FJ!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/10/18 03:19 AM
floyd,

Nice and catchy song!
This is exactly floyd song.
Wonderful vocals and harmonies.
The combination of 1945:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GroovinFolk and 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted is very good.
Conga is very effective.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/10/18 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
You surely have the ability to find the right sound to convey the message. The muted acoustic and the single string atmospheric steel used sparingly are two good examples of the less is more approach used here. What struck me besides the well written lyrics "my heart locked in an endless scream" was the understated vocal. Perfect harmonies and mix that is executed with a pro touch. Thankfully for all of us you never run out of interesting things to say. Another amazing composition, Tom

Tom - you know a review like that from you means a lot to me. Thank you.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/10/18 11:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hello mr. Floyd Jane,

I didn't know you before joining this forum a few months ago, but I must admit that I have become a fan just by listening to a few of your songs.

It is not a style of music that I do or can do, but the fact that you are able to spellbind me when listening to your songs, just tells even more about your talent - your songwriting, composing and mixing is just first class.

I love the percussion on this track, I love the build up and the lyrics (although "spent a little time with this girl I know - money changing hands no need to take it slow" for a few seconds made me wondering what kind of woman you were singing about). smile

Very well done!
Will

I appreciate all of that, Will. And, yes... that kind of women...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/11/18 02:54 AM
Really enjoyed the beautiful way you delivered the rhyme in this piece, Floyd.

Clever lyrics, great writing, fantastic vocals with a perfect mix of the over-dubbing.

Another class production.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/11/18 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Hey Floyd… I always learn something when I listen to your work… This was really comfortable, as a listen (in spite of the darkness!} . I enjoyed the easy pace, And I think you really did find the right band for this crap.

(Ok... this is why you have to really double-check voice recording… Sometimes you want to say “crack”… There it goes again! I’m trying to say TRACK! )

One thing in particular I was paying attention to was the way that you used your voice doubling, leading off the verses, sometimes starting off solo, then adding a double...I’m sure you did that with intention as an emphasis/color technique.

I’m also listening closely to how you slowly and easily roll the sing words off in your melody line. I never see you crowding too many words into a line, and sometimes, as I read along, I think “well, there’s not going to be enough words to finish that melodic line”, but you have a way of holding back and placing those choice words beautifully. Thanks for sharing your great work!

I've always been big on "how it falls on the ear". It needs to be natural and it needs to be original. (you do a fine job of that..) If you hit both of those, you are most of the way there are you can get away with the rest... Thanks for the nice review...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/12/18 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hello Floyd,

you really caught me with this one. Great lyrics wrapped in a fantastic song. I think most of us guys have experienced that desparate state of mind you're singing about. And the way you sing is unbelievably expressive.

What a treat, it's really reaching the most hidden parts of my soul. Thanks a lot, Floyd.

Cheers,

Stefan

Stefan - thanks for that nice, thoughtful comment...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"blow a little smoke, just one more thing
trying to soften this shattered dream
my heart locked in an endless scream
how much more can it endure"

You have a helluva talent for expressing everyday/every person feelings in ways that are NEVER time worn or hackneyed.
I know that is the hallmark of a great writer but it is something that we've come to appreciate more and more from studying your songs.

And with writing, performing, arranging, mixing and mastering your songs you are able to take those great lyrics and package them in way that EVERYTHING is as Gregg would say "hittin' the note." This tune is a study in that.

As Alan mentioned and we are fond of saying "perfection is found when there is nothing left to take away."

Over the top mr jane!

J&B

Comments like that make it all worthwhile. Y'all warm my heart...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/13/18 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
SWEET, SWEET, and SWEET!!!! That groove is infectious....just a peaceful Sunday afternoon groove you could listen to for hours. I LOVE the lyrics!! There is a great honesty in the writing, a feeling of naked truth and vulnerability. Definitely another one for your A-list Floyd (AND that's a big list!). LOVE IT!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I truly appreciate such a review coming from you...thanks!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/13/18 09:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
Loved this song, it was exciting when your harmony first started off.

Thanks, Marty. That is an interesting observation on the harmony...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Enjoyed this one a lot! The guitar on this one sounds great, really fits the tune and helps accentuate those fine lyrics and your usual strong vocal. All comes together very well; nice on the ear. Particularly like the lyrics in that chorus. Well done!

All the best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/14/18 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
"from giving in to giving up, calling it a day"
That & the chorus paint details with broad strokes.
The percussion decisions are inspired.
This should be on the shelf with the sipp'n whisky.

Thanks, ray. I like that image... smile

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Great writing, easy listening. Rarely has something so bitter come across so smooth. wink

As always, everything fits musically, and the mix is outstanding. Percussion is a high point - it doesn't distract, and feels organic.

Thanks, David... always interested in your impression...

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
Wonderful song, performance, and arrangement. This really got to me.

Fred

Thanks, Fred. If I can "draw you out with a song", gotta chalk that up to a worthwhile effort... always nice to see you around...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/14/18 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Boy, this is great Floyd, your lyrics are accented so well by the music and drums, of course the vocals are super, Love it!!!!! Cliff

Thanks, Cliff...

Originally Posted By: Skyline
You keep surpassing yourself Floyd! All the ingredients here are so perfectly chosen: the downbeat lyric delivery and laid back dry instrumentation are just SO right, and matched by top notch arrangement and engineering.
cool
John

I appreciate all of that, John... Thanks!
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/15/18 12:33 PM
So I will give my opinion as though your song was a recipe on an online food forum.

I listened to this song to the letter. But here's the thing...it wasn't great.

I didn't actually have a way to "play" the actual song. Therefore, I didn't actually "hear" it. But from the comments of others, it seemed like it would be a good song. I just HAD to hear it so I got creative.

I'm not a singer, so I had someone next to me sing what they thought it might sound like. As it would turn out, she wasn't much of a singer either. She was also NOT the cheeriest person to be working as a cashier at Walmart this time of year either, I might ad.

Next, I couldn't follow what your intended phrasing was exactly, so we (The cashier and I) changed some of the words to see if we could make sense of it. Actually we had to change a lot of them. Now nothing seems to even rhyme. It's more a of a free form poem; and you should really state that if that's what your posting. Calling it a song is a bit of a stretch. Especially with no instruments.

I'm not sure how long it was supposed to be, because you didn't state that either; but I can tell you at over 14 minutes it's a bit long for my taste. That's not just MY opinion either. The people in line behind me at Walmart will attest to that! I think I see what the cashier wasn't overly happy. Those people get RUDE fast! Even with me reminding them that she was going as fast as she could.

I hate to be negative, especially with all the praise you've been getting on this and your other "songs" but I'm not feeling it. It certainly wasn't your best work.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and give it another listen when I get to something that can actually play the song. As it is right now, for me, nothin's workin' yet. Otherwise, maybe consider golf. wink

---Ok, so it's another great song. It's just getting old saying that so often. wink It's always deserved though!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/15/18 12:56 PM
A great song. Top level write, performance and production. Something different this time. The song was inspiration for some of the most entertaining and imaginative comments I've seen posted on the forum. I thoroughly enjoyed the song as I browsed through the comments.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/15/18 07:31 PM
Late to the party on this one.

But better late than never, Floyd that was absolutely spellbinding to me.

All of the above posts have said it all.

How do you write so often and keep the quality, and the professional touch, that's heavy going to be able to keep doing songs to this standard ?.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/16/18 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Floyd, this song is so packed with great lyric content! Just one line after another of beautiful work! I don't think it would be too presumptuous of me to state that the majority of this forum community holds you in very high esteem and we are in awe of your writing skills! This is another one to add to your book of great songs! Thanks,T

Torrey - that means a lot to me. Thanks you!

Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I'm hearing a hint of Dylan in here, just a tad. Your writing is always top shelf, FJ!

Don - SO very nice to have you drop in for a listen! (I think that may be the first time anyone has accused me of sounding like Bob smile )

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
floyd,

Nice and catchy song!
This is exactly floyd song.
Wonderful vocals and harmonies.
The combination of 1945:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GroovinFolk and 3059:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Muted is very good.
Conga is very effective.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thank you for the kind remarks, as always....

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Really enjoyed the beautiful way you delivered the rhyme in this piece, Floyd.

Clever lyrics, great writing, fantastic vocals with a perfect mix of the over-dubbing.

Another class production.

Trev - glad to have you stop by for listen! Appreciate that...
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/17/18 09:23 AM
Quote:

Don - SO very nice to have you drop in for a listen! (I think that may be the first time anyone has accused me of sounding like Bob smile )

It's just the slightest nuance of Dylan. Your vox and style is so much better than Bobs. I've told him to his face that he can't sing. He's written some masterpieces but should leave the singing to others.

(Dylan lovers, holster them thar shootin' arns!)
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/17/18 06:33 PM

Everything goes well. A super song.
One of your best.

Sergio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/17/18 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
So I will give my opinion as though your song was a recipe on an online food forum.

I listened to this song to the letter. But here's the thing...it wasn't great.

I didn't actually have a way to "play" the actual song. Therefore, I didn't actually "hear" it. But from the comments of others, it seemed like it would be a good song. I just HAD to hear it so I got creative.

I'm not a singer, so I had someone next to me sing what they thought it might sound like. As it would turn out, she wasn't much of a singer either. She was also NOT the cheeriest person to be working as a cashier at Walmart this time of year either, I might ad.

Next, I couldn't follow what your intended phrasing was exactly, so we (The cashier and I) changed some of the words to see if we could make sense of it. Actually we had to change a lot of them. Now nothing seems to even rhyme. It's more a of a free form poem; and you should really state that if that's what your posting. Calling it a song is a bit of a stretch. Especially with no instruments.

I'm not sure how long it was supposed to be, because you didn't state that either; but I can tell you at over 14 minutes it's a bit long for my taste. That's not just MY opinion either. The people in line behind me at Walmart will attest to that! I think I see what the cashier wasn't overly happy. Those people get RUDE fast! Even with me reminding them that she was going as fast as she could.

I hate to be negative, especially with all the praise you've been getting on this and your other "songs" but I'm not feeling it. It certainly wasn't your best work.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and give it another listen when I get to something that can actually play the song. As it is right now, for me, nothin's workin' yet. Otherwise, maybe consider golf. wink

So...basically, you are saying.... NOTHIN'S WORKIN' YET. Right?

Quote:

---Ok, so it's another great song. It's just getting old saying that so often. wink It's always deserved though!

...and that. smile

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
A great song. Top level write, performance and production. Something different this time. The song was inspiration for some of the most entertaining and imaginative comments I've seen posted on the forum. I thoroughly enjoyed the song as I browsed through the comments.

Thanks, Charlie. There have been some interesting comments throughout this thread... And I appreciate yours...

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Late to the party on this one.

But better late than never, Floyd that was absolutely spellbinding to me.

All of the above posts have said it all.

How do you write so often and keep the quality, and the professional touch, that's heavy going to be able to keep doing songs to this standard ?.

Well... writing is "what I do". It is such an incredible thing that we have BIAB to allow us to have world-class musicians at our fingertips to realize our imagined finish product for what we do write. It is my favorite thing to do. So I just keep doing it...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/18/18 09:22 AM
Quote:

It's just the slightest nuance of Dylan. Your vox and style is so much better than Bobs. I've told him to his face that he can't sing. He's written some masterpieces but should leave the singing to others.

(Dylan lovers, holster them thar shootin' arns!)

smile smile wink

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Everything goes well. A super song.
One of your best.

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio. Good to see you back around...
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/18/18 09:59 AM
Really like this one. Great general feel and arrangement. Can’t beat a really world-weary storyline. Heartfelt vocal. Excellent.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nothin's Workin' Yet - 12/20/18 08:32 PM
floyd,

This deserves all the accolades that have come your way. It's excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed the laid-back, singer-songwriter journey you just took me on.

I love the open-ended nature of the lyrics where 'Nothing's working yet' just hangs there alongside the mystery of the 'shattered dream', 'endless scream' and 'giving up'. And although we never know precisely what these phrases reference, it doesn't matter.

As I listened to these words, I found that there was just the right amount of imagery to grab and maintain my attention while you skillfully painted a landscape of a small glimmer of hope rising over the horizon of the bleakness of hopelessness. I greatly admire these lyrics and I'd be on that proverbial 'cloud nine' if I could write words like these!

May Christmas and New Year bring you and your family good things.
Noel
© PG Music Forums