PG Music Home
Posted By: Samuel Davis Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/04/18 04:37 AM

I've been struggling with writing new songs lately but this one came to me in a flash tonight. The idea came from 2 different songwriting groups that give weekly writing prompts. The first prompt was to write a song about music. The second prompt was "Let's go." The lyrics came to me very quickly and when I sat down with BIAB I thought it might be fun to do a Ska style song. I've always loved how Ska blends punk with horns but never created a song of that style before. So this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think.

Realtracks:
2588:Bass, Electric, Punk Fuzz Picked 8ths Ev 165
1156:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Reggae Ev 16 100
2585:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Punk Held Plus Ev 165
~~2293:Horn Section, Rhythm Pop Pads Ev 130
2297:Trumpet, Rhythm Slow Pop Ev 16 065
2586:Guitar Electric, Soloist Punk Murray Ev 165

Lyrics:

Samuel Davis Jr <sbdj83@gmail.com>

2:20 AM (15 minutes ago)

to me

Let’s Go

Let’s go let’s go
Ready set let’s go
Let’s go let’s go
Come and take me to the show
Let’s go let’s go
I ain’t got no time for hate
Come and pick me up at 8
And you better not be late.

Let’s go
Let’s go
Let’s go
Let’s go

Let’s go let’s go
Ready set let’s go
Let’s go let’s go
Let’s go let’s go
Doors open up at 9
Don’t wanna be the last in line
Just wanna have a good time

Let’s go
Let’s go
Let's go
Let's go

Let’s go let’s go
Ready set let’s go
Let’s go let’s go
Let’s go let’s go
Ready set let’s go
Let’s go let’s go
I just wanna rock n roll

Let’s go
Let’s go
Let’s go
Let’s go
Posted By: Scott C Re: Let's Go - 12/04/18 08:39 AM
Cool tune Samuel. Very different from you other songs. Well done
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Let's Go - 12/04/18 09:01 PM
Thanks Scott. This was fun. I might do some more ska tunes here soon.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/04/18 10:27 PM
Well done Samuel!! Great energy. Mix sounds great. Liked your video idea.....just fits the mood of the music. Nice job! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dcuny Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/04/18 11:06 PM
That was a fun listen! Sometimes it's best not to overthink lyrics.

Takes a moment to listen to some Camper Van Beethoven...

Thanks for posting! laugh
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 12:04 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
That was a fun listen! Sometimes it's best not to overthink lyrics.

Takes a moment to listen to some Camper Van Beethoven...

Thanks for posting! laugh

Thanks dcuny. I looked them up. They got some fun songs. Good stuff.
Posted By: rayc Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 07:01 AM
It's a cool ska song BUT it does miss the trademark skanking guitar rhythm. The piano holds its own but that guitar would be icing on the cake.
Have you tried a sax solo? It'd be more Specials and less MMBosstones with one.
Fun lyric and good vocal delivery.
Cool.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
It's a cool ska song BUT it does miss the trademark skanking guitar rhythm. The piano holds its own but that guitar would be icing on the cake.
Cool.
could you give an example of the guitar rhythm you are talking about? Sax solo might work too.

Had to look up the Specials. Never heard them before. They're not bad but my favorite ska band is probably Less Than Jake.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 05:05 PM
That was some lighthearted fun! Enjoyed it!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 06:51 PM
Samuel
That was a fun listen, nice video and a good sounding track.
A good stylish blend and strong vocal.
Very enjoyable.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Cool.
could you give an example of the guitar rhythm you are talking about? Sax solo might work too.

Had to look up the Specials. Never heard them before. They're not bad but my favorite ska band is probably Less Than Jake.

Bering that you're a LTJ fan try the guitar rhythm in All My Best Friends are Metalheads.
Ska has had at least three popular incarnations - the very original, the post UK punk/late 70s into 80s blast (Specials The Beat, etc) and the Cali version that came a little after Cali skate punk. The guitar rhythm is about all the latter has in common with the original.
This was such a light-hearted and fun song! It reminded me of something but I couldn't quite put my finger on it! At any rate, really great job at doing something creative and fun!
Posted By: Jim Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 09:01 PM
You've created a fun song & video... I loved both of them... Guess you know you've also written a future country hit... you'll just have to wait for them to catch up with you
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/08/18 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Cool.

Bering that you're a LTJ fan try the guitar rhythm in All My Best Friends are Metalheads.
Ska has had at least three popular incarnations - the very original, the post UK punk/late 70s into 80s blast (Specials The Beat, etc) and the Cali version that came a little after Cali skate punk. The guitar rhythm is about all the latter has in common with the original.
Ah... I see what you mean now. I'll have to see if I can find a realtrak like that.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/08/18 03:45 PM
Thanks Ember and Jim for listening.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/12/18 08:45 AM
Hi Samual,

I have to admit I was quite surprised when the song started, because it's so different... But it's great fun (and I guess you had great fun making it) - a very nice listen. And the video fits perfectly - it's also great.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Skyline Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/12/18 10:53 AM
Punk Ska - 'together at last' as they say, brilliant! I loved every second of the off-the-wall mayhem of it all! A superb idea/composition brilliantly realised. cool

The skanking guitar mentioned by rayc was certainly a trademark of the hugely successful bands on the '2 Tone' record label from 1979 on, founded as it happens ten miles from me in Coventry. The main 2 Tone bands were The Specials, The Selecter, The Beat, Madness. You can hear some cool skanking guitar on this Selecter track:

'On My Radio' Selecter on YouTube

Regards
John

Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Let's Go - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/12/18 08:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Samual,

I have to admit I was quite surprised when the song started, because it's so different... But it's great fun (and I guess you had great fun making it) - a very nice listen. And the video fits perfectly - it's also great.

Take care,

Stefan

Exactly my thoughts Samuel! You bring a versatile range of great quality productions! Thanks, T
© PG Music Forums