PG Music Home
Posted By: Samuel Davis [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 02:50 PM
I know a lot of folks here don't like the "F word" but sometimes there's no other word that better expresses the way you really feel in a particular situation. This is one of those. Give it a listen all the way through before you judge.

After my last ska creation I was inspired to do another and this story just popped into my head while washing dishes yesterday. It's about a girl who falls for a guy who beats her and being "that guy" who likes her and is going to make everything "better."

Realtracks:
1157:Bass, Electric, Reggea Slow Sw 075
1160:Piano, Rhythm Reggea Slow Sw 075
1158: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Reggae Slow Sw 075
RealDrums=Pop Promise Ev 16

Other instruments:
Halion Sonic SE2 - Brass Fanfare
Xpand!2 - Trombone

Lyrics:
I remember when I first saw you
Sitting ‘neath the old oak tree.
Your hair tied back in ribbons
You were pretty as can be.
It took two weeks to get the nerve
To ask you on a date.
You said that I was cute
But that I was too late
Your with Dave

I really really hate Dave
[*****] Dave

You two seemed so in love
For about a month or two
Then you started wearing makeup
To cover up the black and blue
I said you could do better
I could help you get away
You said that you were so in love
And he promised he would change.

[*****] Dave
[*****] Dave

Now I’m sitting here beside you
Laying in this hospital bed
Promising he’ll never
Raise a hand to you again
Cause the next time I see Dave
I’ll take a bat and smash his head
Any man who hits a woman
Deserves to wind up dead.

[*****] Dave
[*****] Dave
[*****] Dave
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 03:02 PM
Samuel,
that was a fun listen!

Lyrics and overall performance reminded me of Ska&Punk band Sublime from days back.

Thanks,
Misha.
Posted By: dcuny Re: [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/05/18 06:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
...but sometimes there's no other word that better expresses the way you really feel in a particular situation.

Yep, the lyric pays off.

Nice - quick and to the point, which matches the style of the music.

I enjoyed the listen.
Thanks Misha and David.
Posted By: cliftond Re: [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/06/18 11:32 AM
Ha, love it Samuel, great sounding song, GREAT SONG PERIOD. Cliff
Thanks Cliff. Glad you like it.

If I were Dave I would leave your town.

You look like a guy who is not to be messed with.

You sound like you mean it.

Dave should pack.
lol. Thanks David. Don't worry. I wasn't talking about you.
Well, the company may have to change its name from PG music to R music! But, I still liked the song! Dave sounds like an A-hole (PG version). Good job Samuel! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/11/18 09:00 AM
Cool tune Samuel. Super backtrack, lyric and vocal. Well done..
Posted By: Crossroads Re: [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/16/18 02:53 PM
Yep, sometimes it's so hard to stay the nice guy your mom always wanted you to be grin... And I mean, that Dave really seems to have been a pain...

Funny song, sounds great.

Happy Holidays and all the best for 2019.

Stefan
Cool ******* song.

Nice and crisp.

Serious topic.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: [****] Dave - by SD and the Boxtones - 12/17/18 11:23 AM
First off, I love the song. The weird thing for me is it's so f'in catchy; but on such a serious subject. I'm feeling pissed at Dave; but can't help but laugh a little at your delivery. Like, I could see people dancing along and not really thinking about what you are saying. That happens though.

Very well sung (go figure) and produced. Mix-wise, everything is there. Impressive.

And your tones are of the mightiest tone I've heard boss.

I'm surprised there aren't more comments. I can ONLY assume people may be offended by the use of...ska?
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
First off, I love the song. The weird thing for me is it's so f'in catchy; but on such a serious subject. I'm feeling pissed at Dave; but can't help but laugh a little at your delivery. Like, I could see people dancing along and not really thinking about what you are saying. That happens though.

Thanks HTL.

I think sometimes a serious subject like this is best done danceable or even comical. It can get people to bob along a few times and get "hooked" before they really listen to the lyrics. It's kind of like the Dixie Chicks song "Goodbye Earl" on the same subject. It's just fun to ding and dance along with.

Similarly I recently had an experience with the song "Sober Up" by AJR (https://youtu.be/DC_TrsY7U3A) I've loved this song since I first heard it because of the fun melody and unique instrumentation. It wasn't till a few months later that I saw the video and really listened to the lyrics which have actually resonated with me a lot.
© PG Music Forums