PG Music Home
[Link no longer valid]

This is a song I co-wrote with Ron Helm to honor a friend who fought a long battle with cancer. She set such a wonderful example of faith during her battle and she inspired many people. I posted a slower version of this a couple of years ago but this is more uptempo (like I always knew it should be). I hope it speaks to someone! Ron is a lifelong friend who is a terrific writer who has had material he wrote or co-wrote recorded by prominent artists, most recently Cody Jinks (Church at Gaylor Creek). Ron is also a first cousin of Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Levon Helm. they grew up together in rural Arkansas. I count it a great honor to be able to occasionally get together and write with him.

For this track I used only the Realdrums Southern Pop Funky Soul
For better or worse I played all the other instruments on the track to be able to fit what I had in mind for the tune. Playing piano is a challenge for me!!! I truly appreciate each of you who take the time to listen. T
Wow. Sorry about your friend, you two did a great tribute.

It's got a great Beatles/ELO vibe with some very cool chord changes and melodic lines.

Great write, inspiring story, great production. Good job on all the instruments as well! laugh
Vocally it is Jeff Lynnish (though not the unpleasant parts of his oversheen) and Beatlesque in melody an style.
I can't imagine this at a slower rempo.
Excellent song & well done making the most of the RealDrums.
You playing is spot on for the song!
Torrey
I remember (poorly ) the old version.
Some really sophisticated writing here and complimentary playing with that Beatlesque, ELO, thing you do so well.
A treat.

Peter
Hello, "Torrey Bliss"...

I have always been impressed by artists who find inspiration in tragic events, and then find a way to express their feelings in musical form. It's a creative and transformative process that must be very involved, deeply reflective, and soul-quieting.

The tempo decrease in the last two verses had the effect of suspending time as the radiant aura of your humble, poignant lyrics illuminated the memory of your late friend.

"For better or worse I played all the other instruments on the track to be able to fit what I had in mind for the tune." . I'd say "for the better".

"I'll Shine Your Light" is moving and ultimately hopeful in tone.

Sensitively done,

LOREN
Very nice, Torrey, I hear the Beatle influence coming through.

Nice job on all the instruments, I especially like the bassline, reminds me of a bass part Paul might have come up with.
Torrey,

This is great... I love the overall feel of this song. Your vocal delivery and mix are outstanding.

Excellent!

Bob

Torrey,

This is great. Your style always sounds so much like ELO to me.

The subtlety of this arrangement is outstanding.

Great production man. You have some awesome playing and production chops for sure.
David, thanks so much for taking time to listen and comment! It truly means a lot to me! T
George Harrison could have written this. Great way to remember a friend. Great work Torrey. Rob
As some other people said, there is a distinctive vibe of ELO here... really good song. It made my evening much better!

Thanks for sharing,
Will
Excellent!! ++on all aspects: composition, performance, production, concept, etc., etc.!
I especially liked the step-wise base line (over diminished chord, I think) that you used, as well as slight minor movements in the verse melody, with some suspended notes that resolved so interestingly.

You are a one-man band, Torrey! No need to apologize for any of the playing..

This is a great example of having a clear concept in mind, then not being able to 'sift' through the BIAB elements to find the right accompaniment to match your concept--you have to built it nearly all yourself, but what a great reward for doing that!

Touching and unmatchable testimony to your friend..you are 'crossing the great divide' with your message!

Tom
Really cool song Torrey!! I thought I recognized it. Definitely can hear the Harrison/Lynne influence in a few chord changes. So well done in every way!! I really like the slow down at the end.....perfect!! This is GREAT work!!! Take care. Greg
Thanks so much rayc!! I always appreciate your comments! T
Torrey,

This is impressive. Playing everything but the drums! Really well done - not an easy thing to pull off.

Everything sounds "right". The guitars, the piano, the bass... drums sound super.
Excellent vocals. And BGVs. I like the processing on them.
Nice leads. Nice change up in the end. A good write.

A complete package. Others mention ELO and any number of Beatles. For me, when you do these "I did it all" songs, they remind me of Todd Rundgren - and you impress me the way he always did...

fj
Thanks Peter for your nice comments! I appreciate it! T
Thanks so much Loren for your thoughtful words! I means a lot to me! T
Awesome tune Torrey. Sorry to hear about your friend. What a cool write. Super collaboration. Vocal had a Beatles feel to it. Guitar was excellent as well. Well done... Interesting connection to Levon Helm. He was one of my all time favorite there and he had a bit of a Canadian connection with Ronnie Hawkins..
A beautiful tribute

your vocals always blow me away - so good

your melodies are familiar and yet new and fresh

your arrangements and playing ability are so far above

what most of us (me included, definitely) can do

another fine song, enjoyed,

Kenny
That is so good, great write guys, Torrey your vocal is outstanding as always, this song of faith has a late 60's beatles sound to me, almost George harrison in a way. Another standout Torrey Bliss song!!! Cliff
Torrey,

Your melodies are so good!No one does them better in my opinion...your musical influences honed and refined into the "Torrey " sound and ever positive message.
This is a fine tribute- written, sung and played with class.
Very well done.

Robert
Dave, thanks for taking time to listen and comment! I ALWAYS appreciate it! Especially coming from one with your skills! T
This is fantastic! This could have been done by the Beatles!

Your mix is perfect and the lyrics are absolutely great!

You are a multi-instrumentalist, super talented musician.
Hello Torrey,

beautiful tribute to your friend - so sorry for her passing. I'm so fortunate to have fought cancer and won (so far, at least). This is so impressive. The two of you created a wonderful song. You never fail to impress. I'm always amazed with your talent. And I agree with David's suggestion of an ELO influence - and then an added touch of the early Beatles. Tip of the hat to both of you.

Alan
You've had so many outstanding glowing remarks from others on this masterful composition...
What more can I say without repeating others?... Nothing more than this.

I enjoyed it immensely!
Thanks Bob for the listen! I appreciate it! T
Thanks David! I appreciate your support and encouragement! T
Thanks Rob for taking the time to listen and comment! I appreciate it! T
Hello Torrey,

I'm still pretty new to this forum but you already impressed me a couple of times: Every single song of yours is really something very special - I admire your songwriter abilities.

And it's as fantastic that you played all the instruments yourself... I think it wouldn't be necessary to mention your great singing,but I have to: awesome.

And I can't help it: I expected John and Paul sneak around the corner - they would have loved this great song as much as I do.

All the best,

Stefan
Thanks Will! I'm happy that you listened! T
Thanks Tom for those detailed comments! It means a bit to me! T
Torrey, your songs are always so accessible and easy to listen to. Some great playing and perfect vocals. A wonderful arrangement and top notch production skills round off a terrific song. It is evident that a lot of work went into this and the results speak for themselves. Nothing short of excellent, Tom
You certainly shine your own light with this one loved the drums bass arrangement,gave this song the foundation for your added instruments, amazing vocals to polish it off .

Thanks
Thanks Greg for the positive comments! T
Thanks Floyd! Your input is so valuable to me! T
Thanks Scott for listening and commenting! T
Thanks Kenny! I appreciate your very nice comments! T

Another super song. A lot of George Harrison's vibe.
great vocal and melody.

Sergio
This would sit perfectly with any Harrison album.

The arrangement is Beatle sophisticated....captivating.

The write and vocals offer a lovely tribute to your friend. RIP

And your performance on the backing tracks NAILED the feel.

This is another of many superb productions you've posted this year and we have enjoyed them!

J&B
Thanks Cliff! I appreciate your comments more than you know! T
Thanks Robert! I highly value your kind and encouraging words! T
Torrey,

A great and nice Beatles vibe!
Which would be, Paul or George?
The melody is very pop and familiar.
Your vocal is superb as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Thanks Mario! That means a lot to me! T
Thanks so much Alan! I appreciate your kind words! T
Thanks Jim! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment! T
Thanks Stefan! Your words are too kind! T
Thanks Tom for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Thanks beastmaster for the nice words! I appreciate it! T
Thanks Sergio for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Thanks J&B! I appreciate the fact that you always listen and comment! It means a lot to me! T
Thanks Shigeki for the positive feedback! I appreciate it! T
© PG Music Forums