PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Micaber - 12/09/18 03:44 PM
This is one of my first attempts at a song about 6 years ago when I started playing again after about a 40 year hiatus.

The song is named after Keith Richards Telecaster. I traded of my telecasters for different guitars so used a Gibson SG and a Marshall amp. Only effect is a bit of delay.

[Link no longer valid]

The Band
Real Piano 686 - B3
RealGuitar 362: Guitar Acoustic
RT572: BassElectric BluesBB
RT2879GuitarElectric, Rhytym

Tempo 86
JimmyR SlowBluesShuffle
Posted By: rsdean Re: Micaber - 12/09/18 03:52 PM
Scott,

Love the sound of this... The SG sounds great against the backing tracks.

Nicely done!

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Micaber - 12/09/18 04:22 PM
Nice one, Scott!

SG sounds good! I’m not a Gibson guy but I’ve always thought I might get an SG one of these days.

Only complaint was it is too short smile
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Micaber - 12/09/18 07:43 PM
Lotta music missed in forty years. Glad you picked it up again Scott. Great re-entry back into writing again. Most enjoyable. Rob
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Micaber - 12/09/18 08:25 PM
Scott,

Well you hadn`t lost the feel in those "break" years.Maybe picking up a guitar again was like meeting an old friend.
Some of your signature licks showing up in this and a nice clear tone. Those BiaB tracks sound good from early days.

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Micaber - 12/09/18 08:55 PM
Scott, I've always felt the SG is such an under rated instrument. You did a great job here with this one! Nice bluesy feel to the track! Thanks, T
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 08:47 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Scott,

Love the sound of this... The SG sounds great against the backing tracks.

Nicely done!

Bob

Thanks Bob Glad you liked the song. It is appreciated
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 11:23 AM
You did a great job on this, Scott. Love the guitar tones, you played it perfectly. Love the backing track choose too. It has a smoky, mysterious vibe to it which I liked. I think I speak for us in that we're glad you came back from your hiatus.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 04:34 PM
Scott, not bad for first attempt after a "while"...
I am kidding, it is great!

P.S. The only thing, seems that guitar is peaking somewhat. It might be my ears or soundcloud...I do not know. I am not a pro, so can not recommend anything. My first attempt coming back after about 10 years of divorce from music making was not that nice smile

Thank you,
Misha.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 06:49 PM
I couldn't tell a Gibson from a Strat, but it sounded good to me! smile
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 06:59 PM

Hi Scott,

great guitar playing in this one of you as usual. I noted you had my same path.
After a long time of playing only with an acoustic guitar, one day I went in the local music shop
and bought a second-handed guitar (Stratocaster Highway One) and restarted to play with great enthusiasm. smile

Sergio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 08:08 PM
Really enjoyed that, Scott.

A nice laid-back band to let your guitar have the limelight. Nicely mix.

Good pickin'.

fj
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Micaber - 12/10/18 08:10 PM
Nice little minor blued number Scott!! Almost could be a solo for The Thrill is Gone. Nice tone and playing! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: Micaber - 12/11/18 01:54 AM
Nicely played Scott. Some pretty playing on the SG.

Peter
Posted By: LPman Re: Micaber - 12/11/18 01:08 PM
Nicely done scott
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/11/18 03:42 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one, Scott!

SG sounds good! I’m not a Gibson guy but I’ve always thought I might get an SG one of these days.

Only complaint was it is too short smile

Thanks Dave Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Lotta music missed in forty years. Glad you picked it up again Scott. Great re-entry back into writing again. Most enjoyable. Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes was an avid listener but came close a couple of times getting back into playing but timing just was never right until I started to gear down..

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Scott,

Well you hadn`t lost the feel in those "break" years.Maybe picking up a guitar again was like meeting an old friend.
Some of your signature licks showing up in this and a nice clear tone. Those BiaB tracks sound good from early days.

Robert

Thanks Robert. You are absolutely correct. Sitting down for the first time and plugging in was a bit daunting. Where do I start. I was originally looking for Garageband as I did not have a Apple computer and through a google lookup I stumbled on the PGMusic site. I am so glad it happened that way. The software was exactly what I need and got acquainted a very cool group of people...

Also the second nerve racking part was having to tell the missus there would be a bit a charge on the visa for the Les Paul and the Vox amp :-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/12/18 08:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Scott, I've always felt the SG is such an under rated instrument. You did a great job here with this one! Nice bluesy feel to the track! Thanks, T

Thanks Torrey. Yes I agree the SG doesn't seem to be as popular as some of the other models. I have had a couple of the last couple of years. They are a very nice guitar to play. Very light and can get to a growl very quickly.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Micaber - 12/12/18 12:17 PM
The SG sounds great,

40 years is a long time, glad that you picked it up again

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: cliftond Re: Micaber - 12/12/18 12:24 PM
I had an SG in 74 thru 78, sold if after I got married. Great guitar, first Gibson I ever owned. Of course i wish i still had it, HA. Love this song and playing Scott, That SG is singing on it!!! Cliff
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Micaber - 12/14/18 01:00 PM
Hi Scott,

a very nice bluesy tune. Reminds me a bit of Peter Green who was guitarist of Fleetwood Mac when they were still a British blues band. I really enjoyed the listen - thank you for giving me some very pleasant minutes.

Cheers, Stefan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/14/18 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
You did a great job on this, Scott. Love the guitar tones, you played it perfectly. Love the backing track choose too. It has a smoky, mysterious vibe to it which I liked. I think I speak for us in that we're glad you came back from your hiatus.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Derek. Was going for a bit of a different sound on this one. Thanks for listening.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott, not bad for first attempt after a "while"...
I am kidding, it is great!

P.S. The only thing, seems that guitar is peaking somewhat. It might be my ears or soundcloud...I do not know. I am not a pro, so can not recommend anything. My first attempt coming back after about 10 years of divorce from music making was not that nice smile

Thank you,
Misha.

Thanks Misha for checking this out. Yes shutdown pretty much all of my effects on this one. I usually use a compression sustainer which smooths out my picking. I didn't use it on this one as I want to see what I could get out of the Marshall amp without pushing the tubes too hard. It did clip in a couple of places. Glad you liked the song. I actually redid the guitar parts this month but the backtrack was an old one.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I couldn't tell a Gibson from a Strat, but it sounded good to me! smile

Thanks David for checking out the song. This SG is a bit of a wild unruly guitar. I think the pickups maybe overwound a bit as they really respond and go dark when pushed. thanks for checking out the song..
Posted By: tommyad Re: Micaber - 12/15/18 11:38 AM
Scott, over the years I have made the mistake time and again trading off a Tele. I always come back and it always takes over the number one spot in the arsenal. Very nice playing. A good easy listening melody. Good mix. I enjoyed it, Tom
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Micaber - 12/15/18 11:57 AM

Some really good sounding blues here Scott!

Yeah that SG sounds awesome.

Sure is a lot of guitar talent on this forum!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Micaber - 12/15/18 12:21 PM
Very nice clean tone.

Man, I love my SG. It's a Gibson, circa 1969. Smooth as silk and the tone.... oh my. I currently play a MIC Tele Modern. Trying to work on getting a good sound. The Gibson made it easy. I haven't played it in a while. It really needs to be worked on by a pro.... the frets are getting a bit worn, but.... the luthiers in this area are kind of hesitant to touch it because the binding on the neck has micro cracks from age. They said it won't come off in one piece. So... I don't gig, and only play it on occasion and it will probably not be repaired in my lifetime. I'll play it knowing the shortcomings it has.

I was waiting for "The Thrill is Gone" to come bellowing out of the speakers. Very cool short jam.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Micaber - 12/15/18 07:39 PM
Scott

This to me was in par with , Sleepwalker,Because They're Young etc.

Then it stops !!, brilliant playing and the setting you have for that sg is just perfect for this kind of stuff.

More next time please
Posted By: Jim Re: Micaber - 12/15/18 09:08 PM
Maybe your hiatus was like riding a bicycle... They say you never forget...
Anyway great job on another one of you tunes...
I enjoyed it!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Micaber - 12/16/18 12:01 AM
I love the sound of your guitar playing. The SG has always been one of my favorite guitars.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Micaber - 12/16/18 04:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Scott,

I agree with all Torrey said. You have such a nice touch on the strings.

The SG has a bite that's a little tougher than most Gibson. The Les Paul is a little fuller but not quite the same gnarly bit, in my opinion. Super song and performance! Best to you.

ALan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/17/18 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hi Scott,

great guitar playing in this one of you as usual. I noted you had my same path.
After a long time of playing only with an acoustic guitar, one day I went in the local music shop
and bought a second-handed guitar (Stratocaster Highway One) and restarted to play with great enthusiasm. smile

Sergio

Thanks Sergio Yes sounds like we both had some time off with our playing. Glad you picked up the guitar as well. You have some great tunes. That last one was a killer tune.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Really enjoyed that, Scott.

A nice laid-back band to let your guitar have the limelight. Nicely mix.

Good pickin'.

fj

Thanks Floyd for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Nice little minor blued number Scott!! Almost could be a solo for The Thrill is Gone. Nice tone and playing! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg I dare to step into the genre once an awhile. I do love to hear the blues and really enjoy the free wheeling improvisation of the genre.

[quote=PeterF]Nicely played Scott. Some pretty playing on the SG.

Peter [/quote

Thanks Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Micaber - 12/18/18 07:05 PM
We agree with Dave...the only nit is that it wasn't long enough!

Wonderfully melodic and that tone is perfecto for the groove.

Nice!!!

J&B

PS Interesting that Gregg mentioned BB. There is something about that tone that is remiscent of him...particularly in the earlier days.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/18/18 11:34 PM
Originally Posted By: LPman
Nicely done scott

Thanks for checking out the song.

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
The SG sounds great,

40 years is a long time, glad that you picked it up again

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny. I am so happy I got back into music again. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: cliftond
I had an SG in 74 thru 78, sold if after I got married. Great guitar, first Gibson I ever owned. Of course i wish i still had it, HA. Love this song and playing Scott, That SG is singing on it!!! Cliff

Thanks Cliff. My first decent guitar was a 62 Strat and I had a Garnet Amplifier. Sold them both after I finished school. Sure wish I had that guitar. Owning one of those is pretty much out of reach now. Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Micaber - 12/20/18 02:47 AM
Scott,

Nice playing!
It will be communicated to me that you truly love the guitar.
Your usual delay sound is also attractive, but this straight sound is also very comfortable.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Micaber - 12/20/18 10:52 AM
First question...after a 40 year hiatus? I get you said you picked it back up about 6 years ago after not for 40. May I asked what happened for those 40 years. I feel the world was robbed of 40 years of your work. I'm sure you have your reasons; and I respect that. I also understand circumstances happen. I just wanted to say, THAT was a long time to be away. Yet, it still sounds amazing. Not many could pull THAT off.

Really great song. I was driving, with a light rain coming down, and it was night time. I played your song,a and it just seemed to fit the mood...or created it. I'm not sure which. All I could think was "Yeah...perfect." Thanks for that experience.

PLEASE keep them comin'. I love what your guitar is saying.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 12/21/18 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Scott,

a very nice bluesy tune. Reminds me a bit of Peter Green who was guitarist of Fleetwood Mac when they were still a British blues band. I really enjoyed the listen - thank you for giving me some very pleasant minutes.

Cheers, Stefan

Thank you Stefan. Peter Green was one of my favorite guitar players as well. So glad you l liked the song.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Scott, over the years I have made the mistake time and again trading off a Tele. I always come back and it always takes over the number one spot in the arsenal. Very nice playing. A good easy listening melody. Good mix. I enjoyed it, Tom

We have online trading site called Kijiji up here in Canada. There is allot of gear swapping, trading going on constantly. I have probably switch 15 guitars in the last 5 years. Slowing down a bit now tho. My wife is happy about that. :-). Ever guitar has its own personality. Sometime we bond, sometimes not so much. So glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Some really good sounding blues here Scott!

Yeah that SG sounds awesome.

Sure is a lot of guitar talent on this forum!

Thanks so much David. Yes this one will be a keeper. I was lucky to find it. Your comments mean allot to me.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Very nice clean tone.

Man, I love my SG. It's a Gibson, circa 1969. Smooth as silk and the tone.... oh my. I currently play a MIC Tele Modern. Trying to work on getting a good sound. The Gibson made it easy. I haven't played it in a while. It really needs to be worked on by a pro.... the frets are getting a bit worn, but.... the luthiers in this area are kind of hesitant to touch it because the binding on the neck has micro cracks from age. They said it won't come off in one piece. So... I don't gig, and only play it on occasion and it will probably not be repaired in my lifetime. I'll play it knowing the shortcomings it has.

I was waiting for "The Thrill is Gone" to come bellowing out of the speakers. Very cool short jam.

Thanks so much Herb. Boy would I like to see your guitar. I don't know but that era of guitar building was some thing so special. I hope you find someone who has the skill to do the frets for you. Some of the luthiers out there have taken the skills to an art form. So glad you liked the song..
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Micaber - 01/07/19 03:11 AM
Hi Scott,

I enjoyed this. Your playing was very lyrical and the relaxed, easy feel sat very comfortably with the style.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Micaber - 01/07/19 08:41 AM
Scott, I loved the feel of this song and the muscular tone of your guitar.
Is the correct title Micaber or Micawber?
Cheers, Mike
Posted By: dani48 Re: Micaber - 01/07/19 01:47 PM
Hi, Scott !

What a fine tune so delicately played !
I liked it truly much !:))
You are a splendid guitarrist too my
friend !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Micaber - 01/07/19 02:37 PM
Doesn't seem your hiatus from playing hurt you one bit. Very nice and soulful.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Micaber - 01/07/19 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Scott,

I enjoyed this. Your playing was very lyrical and the relaxed, easy feel sat very comfortably with the style.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for checking out the song. Very much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: mkg50
Scott, I loved the feel of this song and the muscular tone of your guitar.
Is the correct title Micaber or Micawber?
Cheers, Mike

Thanks for checking out the song. The spelling is suppose to be Micawber but I was to late in editing it and couldn't change it. It was named after Keith Richards telecaster. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Scott !

What a fine tune so delicately played !
I liked it truly much !:))
You are a splendid guitarrist too my
friend !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks so much for the kind word Dani. I am so glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Doesn't seem your hiatus from playing hurt you one bit. Very nice and soulful.

Thank you Donna for checking out the song. I am so glad you liked it. It feels great to be playing again.
© PG Music Forums