PG Music Home
Just to conclude the process here's the final mix after being through the ears and controls of mastering engineer Fran Ashcroft of Happy Beat Studio.
It's LOUD so adjust you volume...

MST CCS

Thanks to all who listened and offered suggestions as each idea was applied, tested and almost all were used in the final mix.
Originally Posted By: rayc
Just to conclude the process here's the final mix after being through the ears and controls of mastering engineer Fran Ashcroft of Happy Beat Studio.
It's LOUD so adjust you volume...

MST CCS

Thanks to all who listened and offered suggestions as each idea was applied, tested and almost all were used in the final mix.

Super job, be very proud.

Tony
This sounds great on the headphones. Super driving tune. Excellent vocal. I got a hint of Iron Maiden in the vocal...
Wow! Loved it. Great production, great track!

Will
Originally Posted By: Teunis

Super job, be very proud.
Tony

Tony, thank you for your "input".
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This sounds great on the headphones. Super driving tune. Excellent vocal. I got a hint of Iron Maiden in the vocal...

Interestingly whilst I mixed this on monitors I did a fair bit of listening on headphones of different types so I'm glad it translated to them well.
Tony, the singer/co-writer is a maiden fan.
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wow! Loved it. Great production, great track!

Will

Thanks Will,
kind of you.
Really good job on this Ray

great rocking' song

love the drive and overall sound

Kenny
Ray,
I compared previous version and mastered, side by side. Yes, the later sounds fuller and more pronounced. But I also think you did most of the hard work initially yourself.

Good stuff!

Best regards,
Misha.
This is an excellent metal rock song that was mixed perfectly.

This could have come from a number of 80's hair bands!

This is really good.
Very nice, Ray! Really cool long hair rock tune! Agree with the Iron Maiden comment, but to me it's even closer to Diamond Head. Either way, it's a great song. I was particularly impressed with the vocal. Everything is about as good as it can be. Congrats and this great song!

Alan
Ray,
Oh yeah! The bass sounds even better here. Everything sitting where it should... nothing to stop my head banging!
Excellent work by all involved.

Robert
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Really good job on this Ray

great rocking' song

love the drive and overall sound

Kenny

Thanks Kenny,
It's my 1st attempt and LOUD & fast.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
I compared previous version and mastered, side by side. Yes, the later sounds fuller and more pronounced. But I also think you did most of the hard work initially yourself.

Good stuff!

Best regards,
Misha.

Thank you Misha,
the suggestions from this forum helped nuance the mix - more ears are always better for me.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is an excellent metal rock song that was mixed perfectly.

This could have come from a number of 80's hair bands!

This is really good.

Mario,
I'll take that as a good thing!
80s hair/spandex/metal isn't my listening pleasure BUT I'll take the pluses when they're offered.
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Very nice, Ray! Really cool long hair rock tune! Agree with the Iron Maiden comment, but to me it's even closer to Diamond Head. Either way, it's a great song. I was particularly impressed with the vocal. Everything is about as good as it can be. Congrats and this great song!

Alan

Alan,
thanks for the kind words.
I had to look up Diamond Head as I didn't know them and didn't listen to Iron Maiden as I was old enough to have lived through the original metal era so didn't bother with the NWOBHM stuff, (I was/am a snob I suppose). Interesting bands for me to have a closer listen to.
Tony's vocal is superb I think. he wrote the melody, tweaked the lyrics and recorded his own vocal so i owe him much.
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Ray,
Oh yeah! The bass sounds even better here. Everything sitting where it should... nothing to stop my head banging!
Excellent work by all involved.

Robert

Thanks Rob,
I rolled off a fair bit of the top end off the bass in the final mix which seemed to allow the fundamental frequencies more space to shine both with bass & the kick.
It helps when people point out stuff I don't hear.
ray,

This sounds really good.

A nice balance and really driving.

Good job.
We forgot to adjust the volume beforehand. No problem...we picked up the monitors and put them back on the shelf smile

There's enough drive here for three good rock tunes.

We agree with all said and will mention that we very much like the slightly more upfront vocal than we typically hear with this rock style.

Rock on!

J&B
Hi Ray,o

yessiree, it sounds great !!! And apart from that it's got everything a heavy rocking tune gotta have. Very cool, good drive.

Love that three-(or four?)part harmony. And that feedback at the end reminds me of times of old when I would never have expected that that crazy sound could ever cause heavy tinnitus that you can't get rid of. But it did grin

Happy Holidays and all the best for 2019.

Stefan
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
... reminds me of times of old when I would never have expected that that crazy sound could ever cause heavy tinnitus that you can't get rid of. But it did .

I can empathize Stefan.
I have had it for a decade or so now - can't sleep unless music is playing to mask the ssssss.
FOR THE COMPLETIST:
Here's a simple video concocted to tie up all of the loose ends of the song & process.
I've filmed m'self with the guitars and bass used to record.
Tony did some filming for his vocal part & Eric appears via old photos for his solo spot.

Lots of snippets from the Creative Commons section of Utub to padd things out.
The editing is a little rough but using an old laptop and scratch pad isn't too flash these days.
A good fruity rock out Ray! And a nice 'pro' mix and master.
cool
John
Originally Posted By: rayc
FOR THE COMPLETIST:
Here's a simple video concocted to tie up all of the loose ends of the song & process.
I've filmed m'self with the guitars and bass used to record.
Tony did some filming for his vocal part & Eric appears via old photos for his solo spot.

Lots of snippets from the Creative Commons section of Utub to padd things out.
The editing is a little rough but using an old laptop and scratch pad isn't too flash these days.

HI Ray,

very nice vid, fits that great song perfectly.

Stefan
Hello Ray,

Just watched and listened to the video ... very nicely done in all respects! The video perfect;y matched the mood and story of the song. Nothing to complain about, for sure!

Very pro sounding ... tight and sweet! Enjoyed it a bunch! best to you ...

Alan
Great...love how distinct the vocal and not lost in the drums and rhythm guitar. I imagine with a hard rock song that is a sweet spot that takes a lot of work.

Outstanding!!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Skyline
A good fruity rock out Ray! And a nice 'pro' mix and master.
cool
John

Thanks John,
the mix was helped along by some ears on this forum and another.
The master was indeed by a pro.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Great...love how distinct the vocal and not lost in the drums and rhythm guitar. I imagine with a hard rock song that is a sweet spot that takes a lot of work.

Outstanding!!!

J&B

Thanks J&B,
it did take a little EQ carving but I've worked with Tony's voice before and was ahead for this one.
The vid is just to fill in the spaces for folk who don't like to listen.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,

This sounds really good.

Good job.

Thanks FJ.
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Ray,

Just watched and listened to the video ... very nicely done in all respects! The video perfect;y matched the mood and story of the song. Nothing to complain about, for sure!

Very pro sounding ... tight and sweet! Enjoyed it a bunch! best to you ...

Alan

Alan,
you're very kind - thanks you.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,

This sounds really good.

Good job.

YES!! Sounds GREAT!! Take care. Greg
Ray, that sure does sound great! Every instrument is clearly articulated in the mix! A really nice piece here! Thanks, Torrey
Super rocking tune & production...
Excellent vocals...
I also enjoyed the video...
Looks like you put in a lot of work on this project...
& Your efforts have really paid off!
© PG Music Forums