PG Music Home
Posted By: Crossroads Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 09:48 AM

Hi everybody,

the end of the year is already in sight, so here’s my last 2018 post.

Those of you who have watched any of my videos might think that I’m always having the time of my life, but as you know: Where there is light, there is also shadow. And I’m sure that those of you who are 65 or older know that life isn’t all beer and skittles all the time anymore.

I wrote this song about one year ago and it refllects the way I felt then: Man, I’m getting really old and there’s not much I can do about. So, it’s not one of my fun songs, but luckily I wrote quite a few of those after that dark period. And you will soon understand who's the one who makes me appreciate every single day regardless of all health problems.

When I made the video to it, I thought that I should add some positive aspects, so it’s got a somewhat lomgher (sorry, rayc) and funnier intro and I managed to integrate some bars of the very first song I ever wrote (must have been in 1976). Which gave me the opprtunity to also show some of the members of my then band as they look now. So, if you’re not feeling like watching the whole thing and want to get right on to the beef: fast forward to 2:00.

Nothing's Easy Anymore (video & lyrics)
Nothing's Easy Anymore ((MP3 & lyrics)
Nothing's Easy Anymore (MP3 on Soundcloud)

Before I get to the musical details of it, I’d like to say some very personal things: I’m pretty new to this wonderful forum and although it has turned out to be a very time-consuming job to keep track of all those excellent songs and lovely posts, it also turned out to be one of the best things that happened to me in 2018. I’m not only pleased and impressed by the sympathetic, positive and constructive way you all communicate, but also by the impartiality towards any genre of music that’s being presented here.

Not only have I got to know very sympathetic and likeable songwriters and musicians of almost consistently very high standards, I have also learned an awful lot by listening to your songs and reading your posts carefully - I’m really grateful for that. And I’d also like to thank those of you who took the time to give my songs a listen and their always very kind comments.

So I’m really looking forward to the year ahead which will undoubtedly bring another giant basket of great songs of all genres.

I really wish a very Merry Christmas and all the best to all of you.

Stefan

--------------------------------------------------------

Now here are the musical details:

Style is _SHOUT.STY ( Big Band Shout 11-part Horns)

RealTracks in style: ~~481:Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~~487:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~~557:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Ballad Freddie Sw 085 ('B' only)
RealDrums in style: JazzBrushes: a: Brushes Swirling b: Brushes Busier

As you will probably notice I did not use the BigBand track the way it was generated automatically. Instead, I re-generated it over and over again, cutting out small snippets and then put them together. Took me days before I was halfways satisfied - my mom would have called it ‘a task for people who killed their moms and dads’ - something like a chain-gang job... But, man, did I like it!

Unlike it’s shown in the video where I gave an old Framus semi the chance to at least be visually presented, I recorded the guitar solo using my Fender Jeff Beck Signature, that old tiny Fender amp and increasingly arthritic fingers.

Like always my treasure Maha took care of the sound and the mixing - I don’t exactly know what she did, but I sure like it! And I’m very grateful for her sensivity towards my songs.

I’ll be very happy if you enjoy the song and/or the video at least a bit - thanks for listening and watching.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 10:13 AM
Well, that was 11 minutes and 5 seconds well spent!

Wow, just an excellent job on this from start to finish, including the intro. Good song, the writing hit home. Loved the alter-ego guitarist, he can play! Great feel and choice of notes! Read your note about the Jeff Beck strat too, very cool.

Yeah, I can relate to the age thing, I'm 64 (there is a song there someplace!)

Always enjoy your productions, and looking forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with next year!

Best to you and yours for the holiday.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 01:11 PM
Stefan, that was exceptional. The whole performance was captivating. The great write was so well complimented by the creative video and the spot on production. I have to say I don’t recall ever seeing a guitarist bend a single string with his pinky. Super solo. I loved everything about it. Happiest of holidays to you and the gang, Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 01:27 PM
Amen

nothing is easy anymore, boy can I relate

(same age as Dave)

excellent mix and arrangement

great solo

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 05:34 PM
Stephan,

That was quite enjoyable - both the listen and the "watch"...

Awesome job with the horns! They were perfect.

Really nice guitar solo.

The song was good. Loved the chorus melody - had me singing along by the end. Very melodic.

The mix is really good. Tight.

And a nice video.

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 05:53 PM
Stefan

Amazing video as usual and an excellent song (agree with Dave's review). Really nice tone and playing on the guitar.
Seriously good.

Peter
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 05:53 PM
Nice wee thing and it was great lyrics.

wee Nit.. At times I thought you had added the lyrics to fit the backing tracks, as though you had no control over the arrangement of the backing ?.

Was it a backing track sent to you pre done etc ?.

Probably just me !!.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 07:39 PM
As usual, a complete package of entertainment. Well done everything.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 09:28 PM
Wow! Great work on this Crossroads! Really enjoyed the arrangement on this. Well done!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/21/18 10:50 PM
Stefan,
I never tried beer with skittles. You got me intrigued!

That was a nice blues. Everything sounds perfect. Seems you can do this with your eyes closed smile I know it is very labor intensive "to make it sound easy".

My father in law is 82. I can see that some things getting harder and harder for him, but once he grabs his bayan (button accordion), he becomes a young man again. Let music keep your spirits up!

Happy holidays and Skittles with some good, dark German beer to you. Cheers!

Vielen Dank!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/22/18 12:38 AM
Hello Stefan,

WOW! Everything about this is just so good! Love the video - particularly how you superimposed behind you. You're right - nothing is easy. We;;, except listening to your songs and watching your videos. - and the other folks on this forum, too.

Not only is your singing to[ notch, your guitar playing is really, really smooth. I enjoyed every second of this. This is my third time time watching and listening. And you have such a great command of the English language.

What a treat!!!

Merry Christmas to you and Maha.

Alan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/22/18 09:32 AM
Ain't it the truth! You have been consistent with you quality of your song posting. The song may have been longer than most posts, it didn't seem long at all. Thank you for the captivating entertainment.

Merry Christmas to you!

Scott Schwarz
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/22/18 05:27 PM
Great song!! Yes, I can relate!!! I have thought about writing a song of this theme. I had a lyric idea......from taking drugs for getting high, to taking drugs for getting by. Getting old is a tricky business! Great work on this! Awesome vocal. Killer job all around!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/22/18 11:50 PM
Stefan, I can say without any hesitation that you produce some of the finest work presented on this forum! There is nothing "off" sounding in this! It's just perfect! You vocal, guitar, mix, everything are top notch! I really like it! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 07:47 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Well, that was 11 minutes and 5 seconds well spent!

Wow, just an excellent job on this from start to finish, including the intro. Good song, the writing hit home. Loved the alter-ego guitarist, he can play! Great feel and choice of notes! Read your note about the Jeff Beck strat too, very cool.

Yeah, I can relate to the age thing, I'm 64 (there is a song there someplace!)

Always enjoy your productions, and looking forward to seeing/hearing what you come up with next year!

Best to you and yours for the holiday.

Dear Dave,

thanks a lot for that very nice comment - I am really happy you enjoyed the project. And I hope that you will enjoy any of my future postings as well. And as much as I always enjoy yours!

And long as we continue with our music I'm sure that 2019 will be a great year even for us 'Grey Panthers'.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 07:51 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Stefan, that was exceptional. The whole performance was captivating. The great write was so well complimented by the creative video and the spot on production. I have to say I don’t recall ever seeing a guitarist bend a single string with his pinky. Super solo. I loved everything about it. Happiest of holidays to you and the gang, Tom

Dear Tommy,

thank you very much for your kind words - I really appreciate them.

All the best to you and yours,

Stefan (formerly known as 'Steely Pinky')
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 07:57 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Amen

nothing is easy anymore, boy can I relate

(same age as Dave)

excellent mix and arrangement

great solo

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Hello Kenny,

I was surprised that you're (almost) one of us seniors (how I hate that word...) - you look younger on the pic...

Thanks a lot for your kind review.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 08:30 AM
Hi Stefan,
All seems so easy in this song in your way of singing and in the quality of the orchestration.
Very good job on this song !
I wish you a merry Christmas. Christian
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Stephan,

That was quite enjoyable - both the listen and the "watch"...

Awesome job with the horns! They were perfect.

Really nice guitar solo.

The song was good. Loved the chorus melody - had me singing along by the end. Very melodic.

The mix is really good. Tight.

And a nice video.

fj

Hi Floyd,

what more could I ask for than have you singing along to a song of mine...? Thanks a lot for your positive review, I really appreciate it a lot.

I will pass your positive comment on the mix to Maha who will be happy to hear it.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 08:40 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Stefan

Amazing video as usual and an excellent song (agree with Dave's review). Really nice tone and playing on the guitar.
Seriously good.

Peter

Dear Peter,

thanks a lot for taking the time to watch the video and listen to the song. As you can imagine a positive comment on any guitar solo counts double, so you made my day. Thank you for your kind comment.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 09:07 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice wee thing and it was great lyrics.

wee Nit.. At times I thought you had added the lyrics to fit the backing tracks, as though you had no control over the arrangement of the backing ?.

Was it a backing track sent to you pre done etc ?.

Probably just me !!.

Hi beatmaster,

thanks for your kind words.

First of all: Couldn't find out what 'wee NIT' means...

And as to your assumption: As always no third party involved - just the 'hot threesome' (me, Band-in-a-box and RealBand working to gether on my very PC.

And if you are talking about lack of control: The only part I didn't have the full control over the backing was the horn thing. Usually I write any horn parts as MISI Files myself and then play them via 'Vintage Horns' or 'Session Horns'. In this case I used the 11-poece-horn section RT that comes with the RealStyle, so I, in fact, had to make do with what was generated.

This is the way I did it:

Imported the BIAB song into RealBand and erased the horn part. Then I selected every single part of the song separately bit by bit. E.g. the intro: I selected the first four bars and and had the MultiRiff feature of RealBand generate seven different intros. Repeated that, so I had 14 tracks with horn intros. Then I cut out those bars I liked best and reassembled them in a way I liked. Bit by bit I did this with all parts of the song.

While it was pretty easy to do with the intro it got more difficult when it came to the verses or chorusses, because it did not only have to sound right by itself, but as well had to fit the vocal lines.

In some cases I indeed had to change the vocal in order to make it fit the horns, e.g. in the second verse where I took over the horns' melody ('... single one I heard last night')

Hope this explained it...

Have a Merry Christmas and a great 2019.

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 09:08 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, a complete package of entertainment. Well done everything.

Thanks a lot, David, I really appreciate your kind words.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Wow! Great work on this Crossroads! Really enjoyed the arrangement on this. Well done!

Thanks a lot, Joe.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and the whole staff.

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 09:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Stefan,
I never tried beer with skittles. You got me intrigued!

That was a nice blues. Everything sounds perfect. Seems you can do this with your eyes closed smile I know it is very labor intensive "to make it sound easy".

My father in law is 82. I can see that some things getting harder and harder for him, but once he grabs his bayan (button accordion), he becomes a young man again. Let music keep your spirits up!

Happy holidays and Skittles with some good, dark German beer to you. Cheers!

Vielen Dank!

Hi Rusty,

I'm very pleased to read that you liked the song - thanks a lot for your kind comment on it.

Yes, I think that what you wrote about your father in law is absolutely right: Playing music makes you feel younger, and I think, it's been medically proved that it's good for preventing people from getting demented (or at leadt can slow it down). So, let's keep on playimg amnd singing like those dancing dervishes...!

And the doctor's still in with another advice: Keep your hands, I mean your lips, off dark German beer - have another look at me in the vid who's living proof taht it just ain't any good... Unless your wife loves beer bellies... grin

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 10:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Ain't it the truth! You have been consistent with you quality of your song posting. The song may have been longer than most posts, it didn't seem long at all. Thank you for the captivating entertainment.

Merry Christmas to you!

Scott Schwarz

Dear Scott,

thanks a lot for your very kind words. I'm very pleased that you liked the song / the video. And now that I know your family name, it's about time for a stupid li'l pun: I do not only like Black Music, I like Schwarz Music, too.

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great song!! Yes, I can relate!!! I have thought about writing a song of this theme. I had a lyric idea......from taking drugs for getting high, to taking drugs for getting by. Getting old is a tricky business! Great work on this! Awesome vocal. Killer job all around!!! Take care. Greg

Dear Greg,

first of all: WRITE THAT SONG - 'From Gettin' High To Gettin' By' sounds like a killer song title to me.

And thank you so much fir your kind comment on the song / the video, I really appreciate it a lot.

There's a german saying, 'getting older is not for cowards' - ain't that the truth...

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Stefan, I can say without any hesitation that you produce some of the finest work presented on this forum! There is nothing "off" sounding in this! It's just perfect! You vocal, guitar, mix, everything are top notch! I really like it! Thanks, Torrey

Dear Torrey,

unlike one might think when watching my vids I don't have that much self-confidence, so words like yours make me feel sort of abashed, especially when they are being uttered by someone whose musical abilities I admire a lot. But I'm also flattered, I have to admit, so thank you very, very much for your great comment.

I will pass your positive estimation on the mix to Maha who will be very flattered, too.

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Chris37
Hi Stefan,
All seems so easy in this song in your way of singing and in the quality of the orchestration.
Very good job on this song !
I wish you a merry Christmas. Christian

Dear Christian,

thanks a lot for your kind remarks on my song, I'm happy to read that you liked it.

Have a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2019.

Stefan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/23/18 11:30 AM
Wow! Now that is relatable ! I'm (Bud) likely the oldest regular here (12 years older than my wonderful bride) and, man, I wake up aching in places I didn't know I had places!

We feel that your songs, all of them, would be excellent were they presented only in audio format; however, your videos take them over the top. We create simple lyric videos and even for them they can get tedious trying to get everything correctly timed. All meaning we can very much appreciate the effort that goes into yours. They are very engaging and they never cross the line where they distract from the performances...you always hit the sweet spot.

We enjoyed reading how you put the audio together. Like you I also spend a LOT of time regenerating and comping (cut/paste) RealTracks. I think if you want smooth transitions in and out of vocals and more interesting solos its the way to approach it. Your efforts are obvious in the quality of the arrangement and mix.

All the previous posters have praised your performances on vocals and guitar (tone and playing) and we can only add our praises to them!

We much enjoyed this and will again.

Best to you and yours over the holidays and we look forward to your 2019 productions!

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/24/18 09:46 AM

Really excellent song.
Everything is likely. Great soundtrack and vocal.

Merry Christmas

Sergio
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/24/18 01:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Stefan,

WOW! Everything about this is just so good! Love the video - particularly how you superimposed behind you. You're right - nothing is easy. We;;, except listening to your songs and watching your videos. - and the other folks on this forum, too.

Not only is your singing to[ notch, your guitar playing is really, really smooth. I enjoyed every second of this. This is my third time time watching and listening. And you have such a great command of the English language.

What a treat!!!

Merry Christmas to you and Maha.

Alan

Lieber Alan,

da ich weiß, dass Du sehr gut deutsch sprichst, möchte ich mich diesmal auch in meiner Sprache für Deinen wundervollen Kommentar bedanken.

Ich glaube, ich muss gar nicht sagen, wie sehr ich mich darüber freue - vor fünf Monaten habe ich alles, was ich so produziere, nur für mich und eine Handvoll Freunde gemacht und dachte: 'OK, es ist ganz nett, aber auch nicht mehr.', und jetzt bekomme ich so viel Lob von Menschen wie Dir, die ich für ihre unglaublichen musikalischen Fähigkeiten (an die ich nie, nie, nie heranreichen werde) von ganzem Herzen bewundere.

Ich hoffe, dass ich noch SEHR viele Songs von Dir hören daf, und darauf freue ich mich heute schon ganz doll.

Di und Dir wünsche ich alles erdenklich Gute für das kommende, ach Quatsch, für ganz viele kommende Jahre.

Herzliche Grüße, auch von Maha, aus Gross-Umstadt

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/24/18 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Wow! Now that is relatable ! I'm (Bud) likely the oldest regular here (12 years older than my wonderful bride) and, man, I wake up aching in places I didn't know I had places!

We feel that your songs, all of them, would be excellent were they presented only in audio format; however, your videos take them over the top. We create simple lyric videos and even for them they can get tedious trying to get everything correctly timed. All meaning we can very much appreciate the effort that goes into yours. They are very engaging and they never cross the line where they distract from the performances...you always hit the sweet spot.

We enjoyed reading how you put the audio together. Like you I also spend a LOT of time regenerating and comping (cut/paste) RealTracks. I think if you want smooth transitions in and out of vocals and more interesting solos its the way to approach it. Your efforts are obvious in the quality of the arrangement and mix.

All the previous posters have praised your performances on vocals and guitar (tone and playing) and we can only add our praises to them!

We much enjoyed this and will again.

Best to you and yours over the holidays and we look forward to your 2019 productions!

J&B

Dear Janice, dear Bud,

your incredibly nice folks, thanks a lot for you lovely comment. Of course I'm pleased when I read that you (The Blues Folks) enjoy my stuff, but I'm definitely aware of the fact that there's a number of folks here on this forum (including you two) whose musical abilities are of a standard I can only dream of. It's just five months ago that I still composed my songs and recorded the vids simply for my own and some friends' pleasure, and I would never have thought that people from countries where they got my favorite music styles in their DNA would possibly enjoy it, too.

Making the videos is a real lot of fun, and believe me: It's far easier than one might think, if you have the right app. I hope that you don't blame me for being intrusive, but if you ever want me to, I will be happy to give you some information about it. But look out: addictive potential galore !

Because some people asked for it, I added a 'making-of' to one of my vids - I tied to keep it pretty funny and entertaining, and because I explain things in German, I added English subtitles. The song itself was sort of an experiment: I tried to re-build a song that I had played with my then band in the seventies in BIAB / RB as close to as we played it then. And it was giant fun that some members of that band took the time and starred in it. Don't expect the song to be of any musical importance, but if you can afford ten minutes, you may get at least a bit amused. The song title is 'You Need Some Rock Sometimes, Too (ha ha ha) and you can find it HERE

Daer Janice, dear Bud, I'm sure you'll be having a great Christmas Eve and I and Maha wish you all the very est of the best for 2019.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Jim Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/24/18 09:02 PM
You really put together a great video production...
Eye & ear... very sweet... It didn't seem like 11 minutes long!
I really enjoyed it...
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/27/18 11:54 PM
Stefan! As always you deliver!

I find it hard to put words - that I have not used before - into this... it's just an amazing performance and a wonderful video. You are so extremely talented...

When you play that guitar solo it just feels so appropriate and timely... like you are really living the feel of the tune through your guitar. Amazing stuff!

I wish I had just 10% of your talent!

Looking very much forward to the 2019-productions from you!

Will
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/30/18 06:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Really excellent song.
Everything is likely. Great soundtrack and vocal.

Merry Christmas

Sergio

Thanks a lot, caro Sergio, I really apprecoate those kind words of yours.

All the best for 2019 - take care

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/30/18 06:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
You really put together a great video production...
Eye & ear... very sweet... It didn't seem like 11 minutes long!
I really enjoyed it...
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Dear Jin,

thanks a lot for sitting through the whole thing and your very kind words about it. I'm really glad that you enjoyed both, song and video.

Here's wishing you and yours a most wonderful and healthy 2019 with a lot of fun making music.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/30/18 07:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Stefan! As always you deliver!

I find it hard to put words - that I have not used before - into this... it's just an amazing performance and a wonderful video. You are so extremely talented...

When you play that guitar solo it just feels so appropriate and timely... like you are really living the feel of the tune through your guitar. Amazing stuff!

I wish I had just 10% of your talent!

Looking very much forward to the 2019-productions from you!

Will

Dear Will,

I think that you can imagine that you really made my day (week..., month...) with your extremely flattering words, and I want to thank you very much for them.

But I'm afraid that you overestimate me by far - I may have a little talent, but the rest is patience, lots of hours, days, weeks (and when it comes to the vids even months) and, I think most of all, sheer pleasure - I guess that you know what I mwean.

And you really shouldn't hide your light under a bushel, because it was you who created such an incredible thing like "Will Goes To Bollywood" - I would never be able to come up with such a thing. Not in ten years...

So I'm as well very much looking forward to what you will come up in the year ahead - I really liked to see, that Scandinavia is playing an increasing fine role in the forum.

Have a very happy New Year's Eve and all the best to you and your family for 2019 (and ever after, of course smirk )

Stefan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 12/30/18 01:43 PM

Hey Stefan,

This sounds great!

That guitar solo is really beautiful. Nice tone.

And thanks for all the kind words about the forum! We love having you hanging out here!

smile
Posted By: robsmusic Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/05/19 07:44 PM
Very creative video!
Clear sound and mix.
Nice bluesy tune and lyric.

-rob
Posted By: bluage Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/06/19 01:01 AM
Dear Stefan, my 4,898 mile friend...

That's the approximate shortest distance between Germany and United States, with 7,882 km equalling 4,898 miles, by air travel.

When I listen to songs on the User's Forum that I feel are really and truly original in some way, I like to nominate them for imaginary awards. And so, I believe that your song, "Nothing's Easy Anymore", should win the "most brutally honest lyrics" award laugh !!!

You sing about the loss of youth, the changes in physical appearance, waning "powers", and more. Those are fairly "taboo" subjects in the world of songwriting. That makes you some kind of courageous dude to include them in a song. But, you know what? It's all true, inevitable, painful, and regrettable, right? Right.

And yet, and yet...you summoned and exerted a great deal of precious energy to compose and perform a song about it all! What that means to me is that your desire to continue enjoying living your life is as strong as ever.

You sang the lyrics to your song with a degree of emotion that caused me to raise my eyebrows. Truth be told, I thought you were about to break into tears at any point in the song. That's how powerful your committment to telling the truth of your life at this moment in time was.

But do you know what was the most resounding, memorable, and transformative thing about your song? This:

"Nothing is easy anymore...except loving her".

LOREN

Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/06/19 06:23 PM
Stefan, You had my attention for the whole seven minutes of the song (SoundCloud).
I loved the voice, the arrangement (your use of the horns was great) and The Freddy Green guitar track you used. Your solo and your guitar sound was delightful.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/06/19 06:58 PM
Stefan,

A very entertaining video. The song and especially your vocal performance, deserves all the good reviews here. Great phrasing and sense of timing... reminded me of Van Morrison.
Very good!

Robert
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/07/19 07:43 AM
Dear Loren,

I think that everybody loves to be called 'friend' and, of course, so do I. But being called 'friend' by you us something very special, and having become your '4,898 miles friend' even more so. Thus my first thanks refer to this honor - I'm really flattered, believe me.

Loren, your comments are much more than just nice or kind or pleasant - they're precious; at least that's what they have been to me !!!! Aside from their contents they're always a linguistic fireworks - if even native English speakers are always full of admiration, can you imagine what a treat they are for me who is always eager to expand his knowledge of the English language.

So, please don't blame me for being a bold copycat, if I use a term that I read in your reply to my comment on that fabulous LOREN'S LOUNGE to express what I felt about your comment on Nothing's Easy Anymore: I'm tickled !!!

You really understood what I was singing about, and though I would not cry when I wrote and sang the song, my beloved wife broke out in tears when she first heard it, because she knew how much it reflected the state I was in then. I am really, really grateful for your empathic words.

There's one thing in your comment that might be worth to be looked at a bit closer (maybe even in a song?) and that is the expression 'taboo'. Of course I am, as everybody is, aware of the fact that taboos are a truely cultural issue. But I notice that even between the US and Europe (or at least Germany) an increasing difference in defining (and also discarding) taboos is taking place although our countries have had a very close relationship and in many aspects a similar development over the last decades which would normally have one suppose that we're also 'taboo buddis'....

Although there has been (especially in American music) a long and great tradition of political songgs,this forum is undoubtedly not the right place for discussing things like these. But I read that you're interested in politics so this might be an issue for a private conversation using the forum's PM function...?

Let me again thank you very much for all the great things you wrote!

All the best, dear 7,882 km friend,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/07/19 07:48 AM
Hi David,

thank you so much for your kind comments on my song. Since I know that you're a heckuva songwriter and performer they're especially much appreciated.

And also thanks a lot for your kind remarks about me hanging out here.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/07/19 07:50 AM
Hi Rob,

thanks a lot for taking the time to watch the video and your kind words, I really appreciate them!

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/07/19 07:56 AM
Dear Mike,

thank you so much for that very kind comment, I'm really flattered that you liked the song which is one of quite some personal importance to me. It made me happy to read that so many guys can relate to the subject.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/07/19 08:09 AM
Dear Robert,

reminding someone of 'Van the Man' is far more than I would have ever dared to dream of. I've been an admirer of his (I don't like the word 'fan', actually) since he was a very young singer of the Irish band THEM, and like with all the other European boys who wanted to become a pop star back then the three chords of 'Gloria' were the stuff I, too, tortured my finger-tips with.

And isn't Tupelo Honey one of the most romantic love songs that have ever been released?

Well, seriously: I'm really tickled by your very nice comment which I appreciate a lot - thank you so much.

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Teletwanger Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/27/19 08:53 PM
Another good one. You're doing some quality music.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/28/19 03:57 AM
Stefan,

Listening to you sing this and watching the video was a truly satisfying experience. You have put together a fantastic production. I cannot begin to imagine how many collective hours doing all this must have taken.

It's a sensational final product.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/28/19 09:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Teletwanger
Another good one. You're doing some quality music.

Thank you very much Teletwanger. I appreciate your positive comment even more as I admire your musicaltalents a lot.

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Nothing's Easy Anymore - 01/28/19 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Stefan,

Listening to you sing this and watching the video was a truly satisfying experience. You have put together a fantastic production. I cannot begin to imagine how many collective hours doing all this must have taken.

It's a sensational final product.

Regards,
Noel

Hello Noel96,

wow, this is a very, very nice comment - thank you so much for that ! Yes, all the videos are always a pretty time-consuming task, but I don't know many things that I would like better than writing and producing music and those 'flicks'.

And if I get great comments as yours - well: What more could I ask for...

Cheers,

Stefan
© PG Music Forums