PG Music Home
Posted By: robsmusic "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/04/19 12:25 AM
Greetings all!

https://soundcloud.com/robert-g-butts-sr/i-still-do

I wrote "I Still Do" in 2005 in honor of our 26th wedding anniversary.
In 2018, for our 40th anniversary, I did this remix and reworking of the original tracks recorded in PGMusic's PowerTracks Pro Audio in 2005.

I imported the files into Cubase and tweaked a few things , ...and added a BIAB Sax realtracks solo in the outro.

It was meant to be a personal song just between my wife and me, so I made some very personal song choices.
For example, Verse 1 is lyrics and verse 2 is a piano solo, because verse 2 is meant to depict those times when we would sit at the piano together while I played for her.
...and at the end of the song I speak " I love you, baby", because that's something I say to her daily.

TECHNICALS:

I perform all vocals and instruments:

Live acoustic drums and percussion
Bass: Yamaha MO8
Synth guitar fills: Yamaha MO8
Tympani, Bell Tree, and Triangle: Yamaha MO8
EP: Scarbee Mark I
Pianos : Garritan Personal Orchestra Steinway
Strings: GPO, Sonivox Orch Companion Strings, Spitfire Labs Strings

RealTracks in song: ~~1057:Sax, Alto, Soloist SmoothJazzCool Sw16 100 (Bluesy)

DAWS:
PowerTracks Pro Audio
BIAB
Cubase

-rob
Posted By: LPman Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/04/19 02:07 AM
Wow... a lot of work went into this... a multi-layered arrangement. Great vocals.. nice production... very impressive.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/04/19 01:01 PM

Rob,

This is great. I loved your playing on all the instruments and the mix was super.

I really enjoyed the soul gospel feel after having played in several soul/gospel bands, including soul/gospel church bands.

This is a great song too. I would to hear more of this style on the forum. Let me know if you ever need a guitar player!

(And I don't need any charts. That is code language for yes I have done this. Just tell me what key you are in and how many times you modulate.)

smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/04/19 01:23 PM
Very beautiful soul song, nice chording, great arrangement and powerful vocals. The sax is nice addition.

Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/04/19 07:03 PM
Such a cool song. Just a super vocal. Loved the story behind the song. So very well done
Posted By: Crossroads Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/05/19 02:27 PM
Dear Rob,

well, well, well - if that ain't grand:

A fantastic composition, an incredible arrangement, stunning vocals, all instruments played perfectly. That's as pro as it gets. It's got to be on the radio. Everywhere. Congratulations on this wonderful piece of music!

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Jim Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/05/19 06:37 PM
A very nicely done composition... Stunning would be more appropriate word.
I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: rayc Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/05/19 07:38 PM
Very cool performances by you.
There's a really odd click at the 43 second point that stood out - I heard others but they may well have been taps on the kit but this one really could be excised and would improve things.
Posted By: robsmusic Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/05/19 07:55 PM
Thanks to all who gave of your valuable time to listen, and I sincerely appreciate your encouraging comments!

-rob
Posted By: robsmusic Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/05/19 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Very cool performances by you.
There's a really odd click at the 43 second point that stood out - I heard others but they may well have been taps on the kit but this one really could be excised and would improve things.

thanks,.. I appreciate you pointing that out to me.
i'll check it out.

-rob

PS: I traced the click to a transient shaper on the snare track. will do a new mix tomorrow. Thank you again!

-rob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/06/19 06:34 PM
Rob,

This is beautiful.

A really nice sound. Good vocals and a nice mix.

A heartfelt love song.

I always enjoying your music. Good to see you around again...

fj

(Thanks for stopping in for a listen to "Looking At A Girl")
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: "I Still Do"...Anniversary song - 01/06/19 11:08 PM
Beautiful!!! Reminds me of the greats in the R and B ballad era (Ingram, Vandross, Babyface, etc...). Love that sound and you nailed it. Sweet, sweet song...should be in a movie!! Love it!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums