The blues won’t let you down

Bridge
If you’re one of the lucky
This world will break your heart
Tear down all your ego dreams
Turn your head around
To what’s really worth it

PopBlue Poppy Blue Groove
Thanks in advance for listening. Constructive comments welcomed.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/06/19 01:48 PM
Belladonna,
Thank you for sharing! Nice lyrics, I like the idea of Blues not letting you down. So true!

With some great input from several members here, my mixes improved in the past several month. I think if you use just a bit of reverb on vocals, it might blend things better. If you are using a DAW to record this, maybe even tiny bit of reverb and compression on the master bus, so whole mix blends better. It works for me.

Thank you,
Misha.
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/06/19 03:38 PM
Hey Donna,
I like this song. You have a cool way with words. The track volume on this one is so low I had to turn it way up to hear it. Don't know if you had a soundcloud upload glitch or what. I got the volume warning message turning up the volume too high can damage hearing. grin Anyway, it's much to nice of a song for folks not to be able to easily hear so I hope you can bring up the gain and reload it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/06/19 07:09 PM
The BIAB tracks are a good choice. You do need to find a way to get some volume from your mix.

"If you’re one of the lucky
This world will break your heart"

I like that line.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/06/19 07:35 PM
I'll check it out, I'm a newbie to all this mixing stuff. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/06/19 07:36 PM
Thanks so much Floyd. I'm learning the mixing stuff still pretty new to that. I'll go back and see what I can do. Again, thanks for the input.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/06/19 11:28 PM
Yeah, it is a pretty song!! Well sung and arranged but VERY quiet. You have been writing some nice stuff! Enjoyed thisI!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 12:06 AM
Nice promising song, with a good lyric just a bit hard to hear - after turning it up I thought from a mix perspective that you could possibly turn up the drum a bit, and the vocal down a touch? Misha's tips are worth a try.

Peter
Posted By: bluage Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 03:04 AM
Dear Donna...

Your RealStyle selection for "The Blues Won't Let You Down" has just a touch of the "Motown" sound in it, enough for me to snap my fingers and exclaim, "all right, now, Ms. Belladonna, gimme some a' that good ol' rhythm & blues" cool ! Your voice bounced along with with style as though you were performing a duet with Smokey Robinson smile. I found myself harmonizing the words at the bridge along with your own harmonies!

Your lyrics speak about the bumps in the road of life in a way that made me smile to myself knowingly, rather than yield cynically to the "life ain't fair" complaint. That's because there's something affirmative about the lyrics, in spite of the woes they detail:

"Open arms welcome you..."

"Turn your head around
To what's really worth it..."

"You rest on a rock of ages..."

It's as though you were planting seeds of strength amongst the weeds. The song seems to be as much about surviving adversity as it catalogs troubles that are sure to come our way. But what do I know? I'm just a helplessly optimistic kind'a fella who almost never fails to see the "upside" of life laugh.

I've listened to your song three times as I was writing this, so now that I'm done commenting, I'm gonna go back and listen to it again, but this time with my full and undivided attention.

I like this soulful and wise song!

Truly,

LOREN
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 03:35 AM
Thanks Greg for your nice comments.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 03:36 AM
Thanks so much Peter for your wonderful comments. Yes, I'm going to try some new things as well as listen to some more tutorials on mixing.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 03:38 AM
Bluage you are always so gracious and I do believe you always look at the upside of life. Thanks for enjoying the song so much and all your wonderful comments.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 09:57 AM
Hi Donna,

As I listened to this, it was so easy to see that you've put an awful lot of consideration into getting exactly the right words together. Personally, I find that it's no easy task maintaining rhyme and meter and binding it to a melody. I congratulate you on a fine effort with words, music, arrangement and presentation!

Out of curiosity, what DAW do you use for you final mix? As others have mentioned, this was very low volume. If you could let the forum know what software you use for mixing, I'm pretty sure someone will let you know how to make the final mix louder.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 10:30 AM
Donna,

This is a very cool song - your vocal is great and I love the overall approach.

Nicely done!

Bob
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 11:25 AM
Nice work on this smile As others mentioned, the volume is wonky but I do enjoy the song. Really interesting lyrics, and the way you perform them is emotional and captivating. Definitely has a dark aura to it, but that's never a bad thing in my book.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 12:25 PM
Another very nice write,

I love the bridge

nice melodies

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:39 PM
Noel, Thanks for asking about the DAW. Here's the process I'm currently using as I am a real newbie to mixing. I select my style and enter chords in BIAB. I then export it to Real Band and add the vocals and harmonies. I tried to add a little reverb in Real Band (small room dark) but it seemed to distort the vocals way too much, so I really didn't add reverb there. I tried to listen to the loudness/softness of all the instruments and vocals and tried to adjust it all. It seemed to right volume to me when I saved as a wav from Real Band. I then imported the wav file into Audacity and added a little fade in, a teeny bit of reverb there and saved as a wav again.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:40 PM
Thanks Bob.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:41 PM
Thanks Deryk.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:41 PM
Thanks Kenny.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:45 PM
Thanks for your comments Greg.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:46 PM
Thanks Peter, I'm trying to work on the mix. I'll try your suggestions.
Posted By: dani48 Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:53 PM
Hi, Donna !

I think it is a very sweet song
you´ve written, really very fine !
I liked it very much !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 01:56 PM

Donna,

I agree this has some really good lyrics, and very rich storytelling.

I just wanted it louder like others so I could hear it a little better.
Posted By: Chris37 Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 02:10 PM
Hi Belladonna,
Perhaps your problem with the volume comes from Audacity.
You have to normalize all your tracks.
You will find this in the effects.
I hope that will help you. Christian

Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 02:28 PM
Thanks Dani.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 02:29 PM
Thanks David for your nice comments. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what's happening in the mix.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 02:29 PM
I'm going to rerecord and see what I can figure out. Thanks for your comments.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/07/19 08:11 PM
Donna,
A very cool song - bittersweet and wise lyrics. Very well worth taking the time to improve mix volume.

Robert
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/08/19 12:26 PM
Thanks Robert.
Posted By: Jim Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/10/19 09:00 AM
This song is much too pretty to not hear, so I tried to help.
I squished it & squashed it in Audacity...
And I emailed it to you...
Hopefully it sounds OK to you.
I like it!
Edited Portion:
I decided to take a chance & I hope I do not offend Belladonna nor any forum user...
I tried to fix the song in Audacity...
Created a video with her lyrics...
Then uploaded the video version.
While we wait for updated version on SoundCloud...
I hope you enjoy my humble efforts to help her out.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/10/19 09:57 AM
It’s all been said. The write, as with all of yours, is excellent. Regarding the track gain I have marginally functional ears and I could not safely turn my monitors up enough to get a good idea off the production. A good limiter would help you very much. It’s more than normalizing or boosting db’s in a wave editor like Audacity. And this music production thing is a journey...not a destination so dig in and it’ll come.

J&B
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/10/19 01:11 PM
Jim how nice of you to try to make the sound better. I definitely think it's better than what I did. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/10/19 01:17 PM
Janice & Bud, Thanks for your nice comments. You'll probably laugh but I don't even know what a "limiter" is. It's obvious I'm really new to all this. And it doesn't help right now that I'm going into my crazy busy tax season, which gobbles up almost every bit of my time. But I'm a very persistent soul and I will not give up. I'll record this again as soon as I can and see what I can figure out. Have to brush up on the compression, normalizing, amplifying, mortifying, etc. Looks like I have a long learning curve.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/11/19 01:56 PM
Donna, very good lyrics! You seem to have a writing gift! Tried to listen in the car but couldn't quite hear it though. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/11/19 04:31 PM
Thanks Torrey. I hope to rerecord and brush up on mixing and maybe get a much better take. We'll see. I'm sort of swamped with work right now.
Posted By: Phil Leith Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/15/19 02:55 PM
Just got around to this (your link is broken, but I found it on your SoundCloud page).

I'm with Floyd, this is a good line.

"If you’re one of the lucky
This world will break your heart"

Y'ain't livin' if this hasn't happened to you.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/15/19 03:00 PM
Hi Phil,
I took the link down on my Soundcloud page because the mix was no good. My vocals were way to low and the instruments were too loud in comparison. Jim here tried to correct it some in Audacity. i'm a newbie at mixing and certainly didn't get it right, but I hope to try it again soon if I can. Thanks for your kind comments.
Posted By: Phil Leith Re: The Blues Won't Let You Down - 01/15/19 03:26 PM
I could hear that, but I still liked the song. Not sure what you use to record. When I started I asked a friend of mine in radio production what would be a good microphone that wouldn't break the bank - ended up with an Audio Technica ST 90 MKII Dynamic Microphone. Also on another friend's recommendation I bought this TC Helicon Harmony-G XT. It has the added bonus of being able to add simple harmonies if you ever perform live, but I don't like the harmonies it produces for recording. They sound a little too ... electronic. Better than nothing performing solo live, though.

But! Just as a recording interface/compressor, I like it a lot. Ended up finding one used so I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.

I also ... and you might get away with one of these and NOT use the Helicon ... a Focusrite 2i2 for a mic interface to your computer. That and a decent mic will go a long way to picking your vocals up better. I use both. I run the mic through the Helicon, and then through the Focusrite, and on to the laptop.

I use Reaper for my DAW software. It's only like $60 for people like us.

Keep going, whatever you do!
© PG Music Forums