PG Music Home
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm No One Can See - 01/14/19 04:00 PM
No One Can See

Imagine, if you will, Klaatu, The X-Files, and The Twilight Zone participating in a menage a trois. The resultant bast*rd offspring of this polyamory would be this song. I built this song around it’s opening line, which I wrote in a creative writing exercise 25 years ago. I worked on the music and lyrics in bits and pieces over the past year, putzing around on the piano. I juxtaposed the tone and mood of the music with the lyrics to belie the lyrical content, except at the bridge where they converge. That last sentence was a load of horse dung, wasn’t it?

For the sound montage prelude to the song, I used a bunch of loops. I haven’t decided if I am going to keep it.

In addition to the Real Tracks, I added synth parts. I’ve always liked the sound of an English horn, so I synthed that as the counterpoint in the first and second chorus, and for the closing melody line. I also did the George Martin trick where I wrote the melody backwards, played it , and reversed the “tape” for the instrumental solo after the bridge.

Real Tracks
2478 Bass, Acoustic, Held
2934 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkySync8thsFi
1275 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopUpliftHeld
1267 Synth Pad, PopShining
1030 Guitar, 12-String Electric, Fingerpicking
RealDrums-NashvilleEven8^1-SideStick,Ride
2364 Synth, ElectroFlutes, Rhythm Pop
3197 Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopBalladMellowBrent
RealDrums-EuroDance^1-BassClp,BassSnr
2578 Bass, Synth, RetroPop Ev16
2306 Synth, Rhythm BubblegumPopAccentSynth
2507 String Quartet, Rhythm PopEvenChamber
2973 Synth, Rhythm DancehallPercussive

Scott

Lyrics
The CIA wiretaps my dreams
Love on the counter espionage
Hiding myself from galactic beams
Tin-foiled human decoupage

I never thought I would ever see the day
When they would come to take you away

I’m scanning the cosmic void for my love
Searching for signs of you above
I am a captive trying to set you free
To boldly go where no one can see

Under surveillance since the day we kissed
In the bar room and then we brawled
Asphyxiated by my murderess
Breathless and humored and enthralled

Extraordinary missionaries dancing on a sweating floor
“Repent Harlequin” tick tocking my nevermore.

Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: No One Can See - 01/14/19 04:26 PM
Scott,
very entertaining!
Cool lyrics! Unusual and fun. Reverse melody was a nice twist. English horn (and flutes?) sit very well. I like synths. I think electronica and acoustics on this tune work very well. Would totally keep it. Makes the whole composition stand out and more interesting.

Not sure if you are open to views... Your vocals are great (in all respects!) but I feel that more bass is needed for the vocals to mix in better with the rest of the instruments. It feels to me that it is a bit on high side. My headphones are very "neutral". Maybe that is why it sounds like that. But on the other hand, if you are not open to comments, kindly disregard last few sentences and kindly do not hold it against me smile I totally loved this!

Thank you,
Misha.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: No One Can See - 01/14/19 07:43 PM
Scott,

An extraordinary piece of music!

There's almost too much to comment on - but, it's ALL good!!
The other-worldly beginning is cool. (especially the harpsichord sounding thingy)

An interesting write. Big words. Interesting words. Cool rhymes. There should be some kind of prize to win for that. A lot of thought went into this, I'm sure...

Excellent vocal. Really nice mix - and considering the number and variety of instruments, that's an achievement! Well done.

The production values here is through the roof. Impressive.

I got a sense of Donovan and John Denver and David Bowie getting together in 2019 to write a song that they all could like...

fj
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: No One Can See - 01/14/19 09:42 PM
hi scott very engaging tune great mix and vocal spot on also loved the beginning well done sir thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: 44kfl Re: No One Can See - 01/14/19 11:19 PM
Great sounds!

holy moly

like the intro, like the Bowie-like melody

I like what floyd said about Donovan, Denver, and Bowie

that instrument solo (maybe Brent) is twisted and contorted beautifully

very interesting song

some of the best taking Biab and making it sound different

enjoyed,

Kenny
Posted By: rayc Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 02:46 AM
Clever start to your description.
The intro is interesting in & of itself but it doesn't relate to the rest of the song for me. Had you taken the melodic instrument into the 1st verse it may have tied them together but as is strikes me as an add on.
Your vocal delivery is, though a little thin, generally assured and smooth but you seem unnatural, almost staccato, when you sing "In the bar room and then we brawled".
With the change of drums for the section including "Extraordinary missionaries dancing on a sweating floor" I like the new pattern but the drums sound as if they're under a blanket and all to top ends are rubbed off making the section stand out for the wrong reason to my ears.
There's a cool reverse VST in guitarrig2 that can do what you did with the solo REALLY easily. It's a very effective sound if done sparingly as you've shown.
Cool song, well arranged and the balance within the mix is spot on.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 07:31 AM
Nice! Very original. Great vocal, and I really like the horn going around the vocal, is that a synth? Worked really well.

That backwards melody you did, very cool ...

Great, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Jim Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 09:53 AM
You have an interesting sonic experience going on here...
The background tracks & effects heighten the lyrics you've chosen to sing...
The intro & interludes add yet another element to the experience.
You've done a good job on finishing up this 25 years ago creative writing exercise wink
I really enjoyed listening to your work.
Posted By: jannesan Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 05:38 PM
This song really shows extraordinarly creativity smile Great lyrics, captivating start with "The CIA wiretaps my dreams", I like "scanning the cosmic void" part very much. You have used also nice effects to give a space like feeling. Nice arrangement with interesting details and combination of synth, electric and acoustic guitars, flutes. Space cowboy music I would say. Reminds me somehow of Peter Sarstedt.

Janne
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scott,
very entertaining!
Cool lyrics! Unusual and fun. Reverse melody was a nice twist. English horn (and flutes?) sit very well. I like synths. I think electronica and acoustics on this tune work very well. Would totally keep it. Makes the whole composition stand out and more interesting.

Not sure if you are open to views... Your vocals are great (in all respects!) but I feel that more bass is needed for the vocals to mix in better with the rest of the instruments. It feels to me that it is a bit on high side. My headphones are very "neutral". Maybe that is why it sounds like that. But on the other hand, if you are not open to comments, kindly disregard last few sentences and kindly do not hold it against me smile I totally loved this!

Thank you,
Misha.

Thanks, Misha. I have a listen at the low end through some different speakers.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott,

An extraordinary piece of music!

There's almost too much to comment on - but, it's ALL good!!
The other-worldly beginning is cool. (especially the harpsichord sounding thingy)

An interesting write. Big words. Interesting words. Cool rhymes. There should be some kind of prize to win for that. A lot of thought went into this, I'm sure...

Excellent vocal. Really nice mix - and considering the number and variety of instruments, that's an achievement! Well done.

The production values here is through the roof. Impressive.

I got a sense of Donovan and John Denver and David Bowie getting together in 2019 to write a song that they all could like...

fj

FJ, Thank you for your kind words!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi scott very engaging tune great mix and vocal spot on also loved the beginning well done sir thanks for sharing eric

Eric, thank you for taking the time to listen to my musical experimentation.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great sounds!

holy moly

like the intro, like the Bowie-like melody

I like what floyd said about Donovan, Denver, and Bowie

that instrument solo (maybe Brent) is twisted and contorted beautifully

very interesting song

some of the best taking Biab and making it sound different

enjoyed,

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny, for your time and your response.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Clever start to your description.
The intro is interesting in & of itself but it doesn't relate to the rest of the song for me. Had you taken the melodic instrument into the 1st verse it may have tied them together but as is strikes me as an add on.
Your vocal delivery is, though a little thin, generally assured and smooth but you seem unnatural, almost staccato, when you sing "In the bar room and then we brawled".
With the change of drums for the section including "Extraordinary missionaries dancing on a sweating floor" I like the new pattern but the drums sound as if they're under a blanket and all to top ends are rubbed off making the section stand out for the wrong reason to my ears.
There's a cool reverse VST in guitarrig2 that can do what you did with the solo REALLY easily. It's a very effective sound if done sparingly as you've shown.
Cool song, well arranged and the balance within the mix is spot on.

Rayc, thanks for the feedback. I had boosted the top and low end on the percussion in the bridge. I'll go back and take another listen to that section.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice! Very original. Great vocal, and I really like the horn going around the vocal, is that a synth? Worked really well.

That backwards melody you did, very cool ...

Great, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks. That is a synth on the English horn, and I thought it sounded mighty close to the real thing.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
You have an interesting sonic experience going on here...
The background tracks & effects heighten the lyrics you've chosen to sing...
The intro & interludes add yet another element to the experience.
You've done a good job on finishing up this 25 years ago creative writing exercise wink
I really enjoyed listening to your work.

Thanks, Jim. I always appreciate your positive feedback.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/15/19 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
This song really shows extraordinarly creativity smile Great lyrics, captivating start with "The CIA wiretaps my dreams", I like "scanning the cosmic void" part very much. You have used also nice effects to give a space like feeling. Nice arrangement with interesting details and combination of synth, electric and acoustic guitars, flutes. Space cowboy music I would say. Reminds me somehow of Peter Sarstedt.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. I will have to look up Peter Sarstedt whom you referenced.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: No One Can See - 01/16/19 03:16 PM
Full marks for originality - the lyrics and production are imaginative plus.
Really like the opening verse and the way you bring romance as well as sci-fi into the chorus.
Your vocals are always strong and clear - your tone and phrasing reminds me of Ian Tyson - giving the song a very 60`s feel.
Well done!

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: No One Can See - 01/16/19 03:34 PM
My comments for the next few days will have to be brief as my wife just returned home from the hospital (twice since Christmas) and needs lots of attention. I apologize for the brevity but it's necessary. Thanks for understanding!

Talk about interesting! loved the intro - I immediately thought of Rod Serling. Excellent mix and transitions. Your vocals are always so dang good! Loved it from beginning to end. best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/17/19 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Full marks for originality - the lyrics and production are imaginative plus.
Really like the opening verse and the way you bring romance as well as sci-fi into the chorus.
Your vocals are always strong and clear - your tone and phrasing reminds me of Ian Tyson - giving the song a very 60`s feel.
Well done!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. You are much too kind. I will have to give Ian Tyson a listen.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/17/19 08:32 PM
Alan,

I hope your wife recovers. I'll say a prayer for her tonight. I dpn't mind if your comment is brief. I'm just happy you took the time to listen and to shoot me a response. Thanks!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: No One Can See - 01/18/19 11:51 AM
You really did an outstanding job here! Your vocals are stunning, and I love the quirky lyrics to pair with them. You included some really great progressions on this too, with a nice catchy hook.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: No One Can See - 01/18/19 05:15 PM
Reminded me of when I worked patrol and the once-a-week call to the same resident who thought he was being downloaded by the CIA via radio waves directed at his home. He literally had tinfoil everywhere in his home.

Very nicely done, love the instrumentation and melody. Great job !

Trax
Posted By: Scott C Re: No One Can See - 01/20/19 09:02 AM
What a awesome vocal. Intro was very different. Loved the back track.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: No One Can See - 01/20/19 01:29 PM
Very interesting lyrics and spacey feel to the music. Very nice production.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: No One Can See - 01/20/19 03:24 PM
Scott, this is a very interesting piece! You had so much going on here that it's hard to absorb it all, I thought I even heard a mellotron! It all works together nicely! Great job! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: No One Can See - 01/20/19 06:28 PM
WOW, quite an epic undertaking!!! A lot of tracks, a lot of thoughts, all of which blend together into a real musical treat!! Extremely interesting and creative! Wonderful interplay of instruments! A home run!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Crossroads Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 09:42 AM
Hello Scott,

wouldn't have expected a somng like this after that hot threesome intro... But I like the unexpected as much as you do - just awesaome. Everything great with this song, but I especially enjoyed the lyrics a lot.

Thanks for another great song.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
You really did an outstanding job here! Your vocals are stunning, and I love the quirky lyrics to pair with them. You included some really great progressions on this too, with a nice catchy hook.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Thanks for taking the time to listen, Derek. I know there are a lot of songs being posted here.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Reminded me of when I worked patrol and the once-a-week call to the same resident who thought he was being downloaded by the CIA via radio waves directed at his home. He literally had tinfoil everywhere in his home.

Very nicely done, love the instrumentation and melody. Great job !

Trax

Hey, that resident was me! laugh Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a awesome vocal. Intro was very different. Loved the back track.

Thanks you always, Scott!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:26 PM
Thank you fellow Virginian!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Scott, this is a very interesting piece! You had so much going on here that it's hard to absorb it all, I thought I even heard a mellotron! It all works together nicely! Great job! Thanks, Torrey

I'm glad you had a listen. Thanks!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW, quite an epic undertaking!!! A lot of tracks, a lot of thoughts, all of which blend together into a real musical treat!! Extremely interesting and creative! Wonderful interplay of instruments! A home run!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. A appreciate your comments.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hello Scott,

wouldn't have expected a somng like this after that hot threesome intro... But I like the unexpected as much as you do - just awesaome. Everything great with this song, but I especially enjoyed the lyrics a lot.

Thanks for another great song.

All the best,

Stefan

It's a wild thought knowing my song has been listened to in Europe. Thanks, Stefan!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 05:15 PM
This is very interesting and unique. So many gems in there to find. Loved that intro, and the reversed sounding synth.

Yeah I like it a lot.

This certainly ups the bar on creativity.
Posted By: dani48 Re: No One Can See - 01/21/19 05:16 PM
Hi, Scott !:))

This is such a great tune
so wonderfully performed !
I liked it very much !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: No One Can See - 01/22/19 08:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Alan,

I hope your wife recovers. I'll say a prayer for her tonight. I dpn't mind if your comment is brief. I'm just happy you took the time to listen and to shoot me a response. Thanks!

Thank You! Her recovery continues - slowly but surely. She's been singing a bit from her bed. I set up a small recording ensemble nest to her bed. She can only do a song a day as she runs out of breath. She's posted a couple recently to an online karaoke site we belong to. I think it's helping her emotionally and works to get her breathing back to normal a little more quickly. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan & Di
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/23/19 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This is very interesting and unique. So many gems in there to find. Loved that intro, and the reversed sounding synth.

Yeah I like it a lot.

This certainly ups the bar on creativity.

Thank you for your positive comments, Mr. Hacker.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/23/19 05:04 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Scott !:))

This is such a great tune
so wonderfully performed !
I liked it very much !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thank you. I hope you are keeping warm in Finland.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: No One Can See - 01/24/19 02:50 AM
Hi Scott,

Wow!!! This is extraordinary.... those elements of the experimental really made me sit up and pay attention. I'm in awe of your imagination. This creation and its presentation are terrific on so many fronts!

In a word... inspiring!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: No One Can See - 01/24/19 02:21 PM
"Imagine, if you will, Klaatu, The X-Files, and The Twilight Zone participating in a menage a trois..." Hahahahahahaha!

Whoa...I could not begin to mix that many tracks. Wow.

"The CIA wiretaps my dreams." Well that certainly sets things up! smile

Layers and textures and layers and textures...and they work together so well...amazing.

The "reversals" were very impressive.

What a 25 year long song journey and we somehow doubt that it has arrived at its final destination...

A real treat!

J&B

Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/25/19 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Scott,

Wow!!! This is extraordinary.... those elements of the experimental really made me sit up and pay attention. I'm in awe of your imagination. This creation and its presentation are terrific on so many fronts!

In a word... inspiring!

All the best,
Noel

Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/25/19 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Imagine, if you will, Klaatu, The X-Files, and The Twilight Zone participating in a menage a trois..." Hahahahahahaha!

Whoa...I could not begin to mix that many tracks. Wow.

"The CIA wiretaps my dreams." Well that certainly sets things up! smile

Layers and textures and layers and textures...and they work together so well...amazing.

The "reversals" were very impressive.

What a 25 year long song journey and we somehow doubt that it has arrived at its final destination...

A real treat!

J&B

Thanks for listening. I had a lot of fun with the layers.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: No One Can See - 01/26/19 03:27 AM
Very imaginative, interesting and good song. One are surely entertained throughout the whole piece of music.

I'm impressed with your mixing - it's quite difficult with so many instruments in my experience, but you did really good job.

Nice vocal too.

Thanks for sharing!
Will
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: No One Can See - 01/29/19 06:34 PM
Thanks for the listen and the comments, Will!
© PG Music Forums