PG Music Home
https://app.box.com/s/e6nc4pz7gpopdv00ab4fxc4xihwpz121

Scotty had a big influence on me as a teen guitarist wannabe. Scotty was Elvis' original guitarist from Sam Phillips' Sun Studio days. Scotty's unique styling was much copied by players in R&R, Rockabilly, Country, many other genres.

RIP, Scotty.
Hot. Thanks for posting.
Very cool. He was a very years before me . My music influences came from the mid 60's. But I had not but respect for him after I had learned to play guitar.
Extremely tasty playing. Excellent!
Scotty certainly needs a tip of the hat & special thanks from many pickers today.
Enjoyed your tribute.
Don, what more can I say but, 'I'm all shook up - that's a big Hunk O' ... great guitar playing. A very very nice tribute to Scotty.

Cheers,

Stefan
What a tune! Loved the groove, and there some unreal playing on this. I'm honestly very unfamiliar with Scotty Moore. I know the name but am extremely unfamiliar with his work outside of with Elvis. Sounds like I'm going to have to check him out later. smile

Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! Loved the groove, and there some unreal playing on this. I'm honestly very unfamiliar with Scotty Moore. I know the name but am extremely unfamiliar with his work outside of with Elvis. Sounds like I'm going to have to check him out later. smile

Thanks for sharing!

Deryk,

Unfortunately, there is very little surviving video of Scotty soloing. I recently saw a Netflix or YouTube video but he just talks about his work with Elvis at Sam Phillips' Sun Studio in Memphis, TN and how he first met Elvis through Sam's secretary.

Apparently, Elvis, Scotty, and bass player, Bill Black(qv) were near neighbors and formed Elvis' original backing band.

Before Col. Tom Parker, Scotty tried unsuccessfully to manage the band, book their gigs, and keep honing his craft as guitarist. It began to wear him down.

I'll try to find the video.
Very nice Don. Got my toes a-tapping
Kick butt guitar playing. I love this kind of sound. Thanks for sharing.
Oh Lordy, I reckon you could easily have been up there with the king himself Don Old buddy. I'm sure you have a few young uns admiring your talents. Brilliant stuff !
Hey Don ...

You caught the mood perfectly! Great arrangement and track selection. And yep ... I remember him well! He was solid but never overplayed his parts. His sound is distinctive and many folks tried to emulate it. I was almost 10 years old when Elvis appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in late 1956. They didn't highlight the band very much but that was my introduction. Thanks for putting this together so wonderfully and posting it for us. I always appreciate your contributions t othe forum. You're a class act, my friend! best to you ...

Alan
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Thanks for sharing!

Deryk,

Here's a little 'teaser' where Scotty mentions, very briefly, about being EP's first manager. Some great picking too.

https://youtu.be/uQf1fuIlCBo

I credit Scotty as THE EP SOUND for three early decades of Elvis' career and an influence on Eric Clapton, George Harrison and countless other great guitarists.

Here's the hour-long visit with Scotty Moore. Interesting, but no picking.

https://youtu.be/jZNZ2uU0Tis
Definitely some good ole' dancin' music. Great guitar playing. You go!!!!
Great production Don!

Man, did he ever influence a ton of pickers...

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Hmn, strange. I clicked on the link but it didn't load for me. It sounds like it had some pretty phenomenal playing, though, based on everyone else's comments!
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Hmn, strange. I clicked on the link but it didn't load for me. It sounds like it had some pretty phenomenal playing, though, based on everyone else's comments!

Ember,

Just checked, the link still works in Oklahoma...
© PG Music Forums