PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Lucky - 01/18/19 09:33 PM
Hi Folks.

Probably most of you, who record songs had some, that just would sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them. Well, this is a perfect example of it from my collection smile Actually it is one of the first tunes I made using mighty BIAB. Initial problem is obvious. I exported RTs FX heavy, did not save the project properly and unfortunately do not even know which tracks I used. I had idea for a kids song, but not sure what came of it, some kind of soup smile Constructive suggestions are always welcomed. Thank you for giving this time. Misha.

Lucky

Lyrics:
Run, my bunny, run like the wind
Hungry hawk is spreading shiny wings
Shelter is nowhere to be found
Scared heart is ready to fall out

Heavy dark storm clouds filled the sky
Bringing pounding rain
Drove the savage hawk away
And the cotton tail got to hay.

Hide my fawn deep in the woods
Hunters scouting with their hounds
Sending tremor from their boots
To the needle covered ground.

Gust of wind and icy hale
Snapping oaks and pines
Gloomy hunters packed and turned back home
Leaving frightened fawn behind.

Keep your head up my boy don’t cry
Dry your tears in the wind
Night will pass, sun will rise
Birds will start to sing.
Posted By: rayc Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 02:49 AM
Nothing wrong with that one Misha.
I like it.
Personally I'd move the intro flute to centre and the outro organ there as well.
One thing - if aimed at kids ---fawn is pronounced forn.
Cool stuff as usual.
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 05:22 AM
Hi Misha,
Your song is pleasant to listen.
I like particularly the melodic line. Christian
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 01:30 PM
Misha,

"...sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them"

You and I must be listening to different songs - because THIS sounds really good!!

The bass is clean and punchy. The acoustic guitar is at the right level and clear, light, airy... the drums are at the right level, too. The flute is a welcome addition... And the vocal is well placed. All good!

(Also... another addition to your insect/animal Broadway show!! smile )

fj
Posted By: Jim Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 06:39 PM
I wonder why songs which uplift one's spirit are considered "children's songs"?
This is a wonderful uplifting song of hope for all...
Nicely written & recorded... I wouldn't suggest any changes.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 06:45 PM
Nice track in its own right, you sounded a bit unsure or nervy in your vocals it made it sound weaker than it should be.

However a nice instrumental story.

Thanks
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 08:57 PM
Ray, good thoughts! Thank you for listening and a nice tip!

Christian, Thank you!

FJ, Thank you for your support, Mix is not horrible, but I feel it is a giant step back for me as far as mixing goes. Seems it is way too dynamic, in part because it was exported with fx from BIAB. I have to dig out a hard drive of old computer, maybe SGU is still alive and that way I can re-do this better. You comment about my future insect/animal show made my day smile

Jim, I think Janice & Bud have this wonderful motto at the bottom of their profile: "Never grow up...it's a trap." We are all children, some are just more stubborn than others. Thank you for listening and kind words.

Beatmaster, interesting observation! I can not reply right away, I got to give it some thought. Thank you for listening!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 09:15 PM
Well

Probably most of you, who record songs had some, that just would sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them. Well, this is a perfect example of it from my collection Actually it is one of the first tunes I made using mighty BIAB.

That is probably why. now you know if you had just went for it then my comment would not have been feasible NOW WOULD IT ?.

Lesson learned ..Just go for it !!.

Thanks
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 09:16 PM
Misha,

The lyrics are wildly colourful and drew me in right away. Your vocal sounds a little different from recent posts, but "in character".
The backing sounds ok - I noticed the lack of those found sounds you have been using lately , and its maybe not as adventurous as the song deserves?
Its very enjoyable as is... and well worth working on if you decide to use it in that Broadway show!

Robert
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Lucky - 01/19/19 10:06 PM
Hi Misha,

I actually think it is a rather nice and uplifting song - I don't see many problems here.

One thing you could try is to change the rhythm guitar to one that sounds a bit darker. It might compliment your voice a bit better.
But, actually, I am just writing this because you are unhappy with the sound. If I didn't know that, I would probably just have said "Good song" with no further comments.

Take care,
Will
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Lucky - 01/20/19 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Misha,

"...sound bad, no matter how much time you spend on them"

You and I must be listening to different songs - because THIS sounds really good!!

The bass is clean and punchy. The acoustic guitar is at the right level and clear, light, airy... the drums are at the right level, too. The flute is a welcome addition... And the vocal is well placed. All good!

(Also... another addition to your insect/animal Broadway show!! smile )

fj

I agree!! Would love to make my songs sound that "bad". Very well done all around! Take care. Greg
Posted By: edshaw Re: Lucky - 01/20/19 07:21 PM
Don't let anyone accuse you of hyping your work.
I was expecting something inferior. To the contrary,
you could build a powerful set around those comps
and never have to leave home. I thought it was very good.
Now the hard part, continuing to have something to say. That's the folk singers' challenge.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Lucky - 01/20/19 07:30 PM
Misha, I thought this was pretty good! The melody is very inviting! Your vocal sounds very similar to some of George Harrison's recordings! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Teletwanger Re: Lucky - 01/20/19 07:54 PM
Very tasty. Nice mood.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Lucky - 01/20/19 11:48 PM
beatmaster, what I meant is that some songs come easy. Some do not. I am sure most of us struggle with tunes at some point. I struggled greatly with the quality of sound on this one. (10+ mixes and still sounds a bit like I sing in a barrel) I am not upset, I am just sharing my work, telling background story and hoping for some suggestions on improvements, which I got smile

Robert, Thank you for listening and for the tip! Good thinking! If I will re-do this song, will definitely add some textures.

Will, thank you! I might of over EQd guitar on high side, to make it brighter and probably did not considered vocals in equation smile

Greg, Thank you for listening and positive feedback!

Ed, Thank you! I am way passed the "hyping" stage smile Thank you for supportive comments!

Torrey, Thank you for kind words!

Teletwanger, Thank you for listening!
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Lucky - 01/21/19 10:44 AM
Dear Misha,

there's really nothing wrong with it - the word 'bad' would never have come to my mind as I listened to it.

Very nice, like Jim said: uplifting - lyrics, a real good melodic flow, along with your soft and sensitive voice: just good!

Don't put it back to where you found it, it deserves a place on the front shelf.

Cheers,

Stefan
© PG Music Forums