PG Music Home
Posted By: Will Josef Estrid - 01/19/19 12:11 AM
About 30 years ago I went to a dinner party with a close group of friends. We had a nice time, but unfortunately one of my friends - a young woman with the name Estrid - had to leave early because she had to prepare for exams on her university. We all kissed her good bye and I was looking forward to meeting her again within a few days time.

The next day we all got the message that she had been killed in a traffic accident on her way home from our dinner party.

Estrid was a woman who loved music. Her favorite song was "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper, but she liked the version Miles Davis made the most.
And we of course played that song at the funeral.

I had a dream last night where Estrid was very present... had tears in my eyes when I woke up.

I couldn't make "Time After Time" for legally reasons, but I made my own tribute to Estrid (she loved the saxophone and "chilled" tracks):

https://soundcloud.com/user-656274325/estrid

Oh... and the technical stuff:
I used:
RT 2877
RT 2019
RT 2878
RT 3101
and RealDrums: AmericanaRoots.

Will
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Estrid - 01/19/19 09:38 AM
Will, you have captured mournful and yearning mood in this piece. The music soundtracks the picture a man walking through rain soaked streets with his thought picturing someone who is no longer there.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Estrid - 01/19/19 01:22 PM
Will,

So sorry to hear that you lost a friend so young. This is a nice tribute.

Very well put together. Well mixed. And interesting to the ear throughout.

fj
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Estrid - 01/19/19 02:17 PM
Super tribute

great mix and arrangement

glad that you shared it here,

Kenny
Posted By: Jim Re: Estrid - 01/19/19 04:38 PM
Nicely done...
Its amazing how memories can stir the creative spirit within the songwriter.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Estrid - 01/19/19 08:53 PM
A fine tribute. The roots drums and guitar work well with the sax.The sound is grounded and still uplifting in a sad way.

Robert
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Estrid - 01/20/19 05:38 PM
Very sad story. Very nice feel to this music.....like the sense of space and texture! Great job! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/20/19 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Will, you have captured mournful and yearning mood in this piece. The music soundtracks the picture a man walking through rain soaked streets with his thought picturing someone who is no longer there.

Thank you For listening, Ezekiel's Storm.

The picture you painted there gets very close to how I felt a few days ago.

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/20/19 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Will,

So sorry to hear that you lost a friend so young. This is a nice tribute.

Very well put together. Well mixed. And interesting to the ear throughout.

fj

Thank you so much, floyd jane!

I could probably have done better overall, but there are some days where I just need to get the music out of my body quickly - especially if it is connected with some bad memories.

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/20/19 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Super tribute

great mix and arrangement

glad that you shared it here,

Kenny

Thank you for listening, Kenny - I appreciate it a lot!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/20/19 09:06 PM
Jim, Robertkc and Greg Johnson,

I thank you all for listening and commenting! i appreciate it - and I am looking forward to listen to your songs!

Will
Posted By: RnAM Re: Estrid - 01/20/19 11:21 PM
Very sad to hear about this Will. You made a good tribute with a very nice build up.

Rob
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Estrid - 01/21/19 01:22 AM
Very well done. As has been said many times. really nice tribute. Sounds really top notch.

It's always hard to lose someone we care about, and music is a real gift to bring healing.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Posted By: PeterF Re: Estrid - 01/21/19 01:34 AM
Will

Really nice tribute and you've achieved an excellent sound.
Excellent composition.

Peter
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Estrid - 01/21/19 11:03 AM
Dear Will,

it's always surprising how much events that happened so long ago are still present in our memories, be they good or sad.

This tribute to Estrid reflects your feelings towards her and her fate so much more than words could say - it simply says it all.

Although they only have that saxophone part in common I very soon had to think of a song I haven't thought of for a very long time, 'The Death Of J. B. Lenoir', by John Mayall, which has always been the most forcedul tribute song I've ever heard. That one and yours are different but both convey a very intense feeling of deep sorrow.

It's somehow strange to say that you 'lie' a sad tribute song like yours, but it sturred me up.

All the very best,

Stefan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Estrid - 01/21/19 12:50 PM
Really nice work on this - a beautiful and sincere tribute. I love the slow, gentle groove on this. My condolences about your friend. 30 years can fly by in the blink of an eye, and she obviously meant a lot to you.

You should be proud of this - you did an outstanding job. Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/23/19 02:16 AM
Rob, Anne-Marie, Steve, Peter, Stefan and Deryk,

Thank you all for listening and your nice comments!

@Stefan
I didn't know "'The Death Of J. B. Lenoir" but I looked it up... great, great song!

Will
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Estrid - 01/23/19 09:23 PM
Will, how tragic the event you described was! I can't imagine the impact that must have had! You did an excellent job with this piece, which I feel was so appropriate for the situation you described! Beautiful work! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/23/19 10:07 PM
Thank you very much, Torrey! I appreciate it a lot!

Will
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 02:38 AM
Hi Will,

I'm so sorry to read your story about the loss of your friend.

This is wonderful composition and a wonderful tribute. It's very pleasing on the ear and touches the soul. Even though 30 years have passed, your music gives me the impression that every time you play this, many fond memories swim through your mind and that these memories are still as vivid today as they were many years ago.

This is a beautiful tribute.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: Scott C Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 10:25 AM
Excellent song. Very nice tribute. Very heartful
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 12:43 PM
That is a lovely and moving tribute....

The sax in our opinion is so close to a human voice and that is shown again in this wonderful tribute.

Well done and may she RIP

J&B
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Will,

I'm so sorry to read your story about the loss of your friend.

This is wonderful composition and a wonderful tribute. It's very pleasing on the ear and touches the soul. Even though 30 years have passed, your music gives me the impression that every time you play this, many fond memories swim through your mind and that these memories are still as vivid today as they were many years ago.

This is a beautiful tribute.

Best regards,
Noel

Hi Noel,

Thank you for your very kind words. I actually feel a kind of relief, now that I got some of my feelings out through the music.

I appreciate that you took time to listen to it.
Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent song. Very nice tribute. Very heartful

Thank you very much for listening, Scott!

Will
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That is a lovely and moving tribute....

The sax in our opinion is so close to a human voice and that is shown again in this wonderful tribute.

Well done and may she RIP

J&B

Hi Janice & Bud,

Thank you so much for listening and your kind words!

Will
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Estrid - 01/24/19 10:00 PM
Such a sad story. I wonder why you were dreaming about her so suddenly ... perhaps an old friend popping in to say hello.

This was a lovely song. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
© PG Music Forums