PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 01:51 AM
It's been too long since I've had any time to post anything here! Been way to busy with work. I am hoping to see some changes in that area of my life. I sure miss being around here!

I was toying around with some 7/4 rhythms in my head, and came up with the idea for this song. All the tracks are RealTracks/RealDrums, along with some organ I played.

Solid Ground

To accomplish the 7/4 meter, I had to alternate 3/4 and 4/4 in BB. Took a little work, but I think it turned out alright. I hope you enjoy this one.

I hope to be around a lot more this year!

RealTracks in song: 1417:Bass, Electric, RootsRock Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 2693:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm ModernPop16thsMike Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 3182:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GrungeUnpluggedQuinn Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 3226:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm CelticSongwriterQuinn Ev16 080
RealTracks in song: 1035:Banjo, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2829:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryPopBrent12-key Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song:ModCountry16ths^01-a:Closed hat, Sync-kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 10:40 AM
This turned out more than all right! I am amazed at how good the 7/4 timing works.( I mainly think in 4/4. :)) This is an very inspirational hymn--one I could see added to many hymnals. What a treat to listen to before I head off to worship service today!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 02:14 PM
Steve,
Very catchy!
You worked those drums very well in composition. Vocals and production are superb.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: edshaw Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 02:36 PM
"I hope to be around a lot more this year." (SWY)

Sure hope so. Intriguing rhythm and vocal synch.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 02:55 PM
Really nice work on this, Steve smile That hook is insanely catchy, and I love the progressions too. 7/4 is a time signature you don't see too often and you nailed it here. I barely noticed it wasn't 4/4 although it was obvious when I payed more attention.

Not a thing I'd change - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 03:13 PM
Excellent!!! Steve, what you have done with that time signature has made this one really shine! Everything here is of the highest caliber....vocals, musicianship, production etc! You have once again presented something that is in the upper echelon of music posted here! Oh and btw, this is a great song! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: musician17 Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 04:36 PM
This is superb. Everything: technical, musical and lyrical qualities are, to me, off the scale here. Exceptional achievement.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/20/19 06:42 PM
Such a sweet, inspiring listen!!! Could hum this all day!! In addition to a great song, all the technical stuff is great too!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/21/19 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
This turned out more than all right! I am amazed at how good the 7/4 timing works.( I mainly think in 4/4. :)) This is an very inspirational hymn--one I could see added to many hymnals. What a treat to listen to before I head off to worship service today!

Ezekiel's Storm - Thanks so much for your kind words! Glad you enjoyed this one. Keep on praising!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Steve,
Very catchy!
You worked those drums very well in composition. Vocals and production are superb.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Rustyspoon! Glad you like it. PG Music just keeps doing a better and better job of cranking out quality sounds. It amazes me, how powerful this program is.

Originally Posted By: edshaw
"I hope to be around a lot more this year." (SWY)

Sure hope so. Intriguing rhythm and vocal synch.

Thank you, edshaw. I'm really hoping to be able to be around a lot more! Glad you like the rhythm on this one!

---

Steve
Posted By: dani48 Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/21/19 06:16 AM
Hi, Steve !:))

This is such a solid write
from you and so wonderfully
performed too as one can only
expect from you Steve !
I think this is one of your
absolute best !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Jim Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/21/19 08:19 AM
I really enjoyed your creation & message...
Everything about it is quality!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/21/19 11:52 AM
I always love your songs but this may be my favorite

flows beautifully

nice mix (give that bass player some love)

excellent vocals!

wonderful song

Kenny
Posted By: Scott C Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/22/19 12:54 AM
Super vocal Steve. Super lyric. Really loved this time signature. I am with Greg I could also hum this all day as well...
Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/22/19 01:55 AM
Hi Steve ...

What a terrific song! It gets the message across without being preachy. Your vocal is particularly good on this - truly excellent! Everything abiut this is top shelf. You outdid yourself on this one ... It's great effort on your part. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/24/19 06:27 PM
"To accomplish the 7/4 meter, I had to alternate 3/4 and 4/4 in BB. Took a little work, but I think it turned out alright. I hope you enjoy this one."

Whoa...I bet it did take a "little" work and it paid off big time with a superbly cool groove.

This is high bar material...the write, the vocals and, wow, that band. Sounds like y'all have been out gigging for a long time...so cohesive.

This is one that will seriously stick with you with its fine vocals, catchy groove, memorable hook and upbeat lyric.

A most enjoyable listen!

J&B
Posted By: ROG Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/24/19 08:31 PM
Hi Steve,

Brilliant!

There's something very infectious about this track. The rhythm rolls along so easily,
surprisingly when you consider the multiple time signatures. It just begs to be played
again and again.

Love the vocals. I've always admired your singing and this is some of your best.
Everything works as it should in a faultless mix.
Might be tricky to dance to!

ROG.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/24/19 09:59 PM
This song is incredibly catchy and I really liked the lyrics. They certainly get stuck in your head. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/29/19 06:54 PM
Like ROG said there is something infectious about this song. We listened and posted the other day but this song deserves to be heard by more!!!!

J&B
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/31/19 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nice work on this, Steve smile That hook is insanely catchy, and I love the progressions too. 7/4 is a time signature you don't see too often and you nailed it here. I barely noticed it wasn't 4/4 although it was obvious when I payed more attention.

Not a thing I'd change - thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Deryk! Always nice to hear from you. Glad you enjoyed this one. I think PG stood up to the challenge in creating this 7/4 effort. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Excellent!!! Steve, what you have done with that time signature has made this one really shine! Everything here is of the highest caliber....vocals, musicianship, production etc! You have once again presented something that is in the upper echelon of music posted here! Oh and btw, this is a great song! Thanks, Torrey

Hey Torrey, thanks a lot! Love hearing from you. I really enjoy your work. Glad you like this one. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: musician17
This is superb. Everything: technical, musical and lyrical qualities are, to me, off the scale here. Exceptional achievement.

Thanks so much, musician17! Glad you like this one!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Such a sweet, inspiring listen!!! Could hum this all day!! In addition to a great song, all the technical stuff is great too!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg! Appreciate your kind word. Hum away! Those words are music to any songwriter's ears! Thanks again!

===

Steve
Posted By: Deej56 Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/31/19 04:19 AM
Steve,

Terrific tune you have here . . . very engaging, highlighted by some great choices on the arrangement and production. Really like that organ in the bridge. Well done! Enjoyed my listen a ton.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 01/31/19 12:19 PM
All the hallmarks of a Steve Young song...

Wonderful arrangement. Excellent production. Outstanding Vocals and Harmonies. Solid writing. Beautiful mix.

The opening and the drop are both really nice. The banjo is a nice addition.

Well done all around - as always. An excellent listen.

(looking forward to you being around more often!!)

fj
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/02/19 02:47 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Steve !:))

This is such a solid write
from you and so wonderfully
performed too as one can only
expect from you Steve !
I think this is one of your
absolute best !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks, Dani! Always love hearing from you! Glad you stopped by and gave this a listen. Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted By: Jim
I really enjoyed your creation & message...
Everything about it is quality!

Thank you, Jim. So glad you enjoyed this one!

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I always love your songs but this may be my favorite

flows beautifully

nice mix (give that bass player some love)

excellent vocals!

wonderful song

Kenny

Hey, Kenny, thanks a lot! Really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

===

Steve
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/02/19 08:32 AM
Well, you sure were able to get 7/4 to stick on solid ground. I always look forward to your posts knowing they'll be top notch write, arrangement, production and performance. This was exceptional. Enjoyed.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/02/19 08:13 PM
Steve,

Loved everything about this - catchy, your voice sounds great - everything sounds top notch. I especially liked that cool beat.
Posted By: rsdean Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/02/19 08:19 PM
Steve,

I think this is my favorite song of yours... I absolutely love the rhythm and the tone of your voice - great set of lyrics as well.

Great stuff!

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/02/19 09:07 PM
Steve,

This is absolutely stunning!

I love that opening and it leads the ears into a really, really fine composition. The lyrics are superb and you've set them to a really catchy melody. Your vocals and harmonies are first class.

The backing you've created amazed me. I didn't realise it was 7/4 until I read your post (I always try to listen first without reading comments because I like to compare my thoughts to comments after the listen). This is such a terrific time signature and you've used it with flair. It's great to know that Realtracks worked so comfortably with something out of the ordinary.

Everything about this shines with polish and glistens with professionalism. Without doubt, you continue to inspire!

It was definitely worth taking the time to set up these bars of alternating 4/4 and 3/4.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: animarorecords Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/10/19 03:25 AM
Steve,

The whole atmosphere is like a gospel.
7/4 is a time signature that is pretty complicated, but your song does not make us feel like that.
It is very natural.
Your singing is wonderful as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: PeterF Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 02/10/19 05:47 AM
Steve

That was a stunning effort, great work on the 7/4 meter and just a wonderful catchy tune beautifully sung.
Loved the vocal, drum passage - actually all of it.

Peter
Posted By: Jim Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 04/13/19 03:00 PM
I came back another listen...
Excellent writing & production!
Posted By: Al-David Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 04/13/19 03:11 PM
I'm with Jim ... worth more than a one-time pass. Still amazes me as I listen again ... what a talent!

Alan
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 04/16/19 11:50 PM
First of all, please forgive me for "disappearing" on y'all! I took early, semi-retirement the end of January. My wife insisted that I disappear from the face of the planet for a few weeks, and try to get de-stressed. After working almost 7 years of 60 hour weeks, in addition to pastoring a church, she knew I needed the time off. She was right (as always). I am now back involved in civilization, and much more relaxed and happy.

Thanks to all of you for posting such kind words about this song. I won't take over everyone else's threads to thank each one individually. Just know that all of you are important to me, and very much appreciated!

Now, I will get to listening to some of what I have been missing the past couple of months!

Steve
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 04/17/19 11:08 AM

Yes, as others have said, this has all the hallmarks of a Steve Young write--hooky as all get out, masterful build and arrangement. A real foot stomper, inspiring lyrics, great vocals.

But I think I can tell where you are getting all of these tricks:

Playin' in a P&W band will make you learn some arrangement chops, won't it Steve? smile Happy Sunday morning y'all--time to kick out the jams!

Glad to see you came back!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: New Song - Solid Ground - 04/20/19 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Yes, as others have said, this has all the hallmarks of a Steve Young write--hooky as all get out, masterful build and arrangement. A real foot stomper, inspiring lyrics, great vocals.

But I think I can tell where you are getting all of these tricks:

Playin' in a P&W band will make you learn some arrangement chops, won't it Steve? smile Happy Sunday morning y'all--time to kick out the jams!

Glad to see you came back!

Thanks, David! Yes, leading a Worship band will bring out some chops, indeed. Several live presentations a week in the same location, with a constant need to have fresh material will bring that out in you.

Glad you like this one!

Steve
© PG Music Forums