PG Music Home
As these tunes are way older than 50 yrs, I am assuming they are out of Copyright. If not, please put me right and I'll delete the Post.

Way back in the 50's my parents were big Platters fans and I guess it rubbed off on me. The first EP I can ever remember seeing was by them. Sad that their career was ruined by unsubstantiated stories of drugs and prostitution. However, they did have a superb back catalogue of great music.

This SF started out as just Only You. I had previously begun making a BB BT for My Prayer but shelved the Project as the famous Intro was so hard, timing wise. (I've cracked it now BTW).
I realised how similar these two tunes are so made a new BB BT as a Medley arranging it in a 12-8 style, typical of the 50's - . SAM_COOK.STY. The only addition was the use of the Oohs RT3278 in the final verse.

****** Song Summary *************
Style is SAM_COOK.STY (Sam Cook Style)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Finger Electric Bass (34), Electric Piano (5), Clean Electric Guit (28), Acoustic Piano (1), Synth strings 1 (51)
RealTracks in song: 3278:Vocal Mmms, Rhythm RockNRollGospel12-8 4-part Sw 065
RealDrums [in Song:Pop128^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

So, here is Only You + My Prayer. - https://app.box.com/s/ddounif3lwzmzuhkzeis8y5i9oukbl15
Cheers
Ian
Sweet guitar tone. It sits in the mix nicely. What kind of guitar did you use?
Originally Posted By: Teletwanger
Sweet guitar tone. It sits in the mix nicely. What kind of guitar did you use?

Thanks Teletwanger.
Its a handbuilt Strat - alder body, B.I. maple neck, Kinman FV-HMS pups, Elixir 11s. Neck pup used on this track.
Cheers
Ian
Cool. I have a custom Tele. I had the Guitar Mill in Murfreesboro Tennessee build a body for me. It's a thinline routed for a Strat tremolo. I have a TV Jones tele neck pickup and a tapped Duncan tapped Quarter Pound in the bridge. I cut a Tele bridge plate in half and it's mounted just in front of the Strat tremolo bridge. The top it maple and stained blue. There's cream binding around the top and back and sides are natural ash. I bought a Tele neck off Ebay. I have around a $1000 in it. It will go from Billy Gibbons to the Wicked Game tone. It may possibly be the best guitar I've ever had and I've had many.
I'm an old guy too.
Luvly Ian!

Old favourites of mine.

Clean and clear. Cheers.
Very nice. Is a lovely tune. Well played
I really enjoyed listening to your guitar croon these old songs...
Very pleasant indeed!
You've got the guitar sound down pat. Sounds like it came directly out of that era. Thanks for posting.
Hi, Ian ol´chum !:))

What sweet music played
with utmost delicasy and
a super sound that only
you seem to be bale to
evoke !:)))

I liked it really !

Cheers
Dani
Very smooth and sensational delivery Ian. You really know how to get the most perfect melody out of that little axe of yours.

Going back for another listen.

Trev
Hi Ian,

very nice ! The sound of your guitar fits the songs perfectly. Enjoyed the listen.

Cheers,

Stefan
There is a LOT of soul in that axe...a ton of it. And an arrangement and guitar tone to go along with it.

Outstanding!!!!

J&B

PS PD laws in Europe makes a lot more sense than in the US where the song must be published prior to 1924 (this year)...and then we add a year each January 1 -- so when we get to this song in the US I'll be long, long gone smile
Nice job on this old classic! Good clean playing staying true to the original Thanks, Torrey
Very sweet Ian!! Great to see you around again. I love these old tunes, and you do them justice!! Take care. Greg
First of all my aplogies for such a late reply - a family issue has kept me away from the Forum for a few days.
Thank you to everyone for such kind reviews of this Sound File. BB makes it so easy to arrange "on the fly" as it were so playing with the chords for the final verse was heaps of fun, instead of a chore.
I use very little in the way of effects or EQ - Life's too short - so with my Strat it's usually WYHIWYG. Not even an amp in the chain - it's a Vox amp sim, the Joyo ACTone.
Cheers
Ian
Now I LOVE everything the Platters did, and boy did I love this track, thanks for sharing.
Hi Graham
So do I. Sad that they fell out of favour due to unsubstantiated stories of drugs and prostitution etc.
Glad you enjoyed the track. It was fun to do.
I've PM'd you.
Cheers
ian
© PG Music Forums