PG Music Home
Posted By: gruverider I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/03/19 05:48 AM
Remix: "When Poppa Comes Home"

https://soundcloud.com/lawrence-olivier/when-papa-comes-home
(edit 2/4/2019: I added more thump in the kick)

I use to think that the kick should eq roughly around 50 db and the Bass around 100db. But when I flipped the eq of the two, all of a sudden the Bass was right where it should have been all along!

Also, I have begun to add an eq with around a 3db+ shelf in the master bus while I mix , then I turn it off when I render it; and this works for my "Studio" to control the high end.

Hope you hear what I'm hearing in the low end. Please let me know.
Posted By: rayc Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/03/19 07:08 AM
gruv,
what do you mean by
"...eq roughly around 50 db and the Bass around 100db..."?
You high pass, low pass, roll off, +3Db shelf to control high end
What are these settings and is the shelf a bottom end lift where?
he song sounds cool, I remember it.
The bass sounds cool in this but the kick is a little weak with no thud.
Yeah, gruverider, that's exactly what I needed on an otherwise dull and sad sunday morning with my wife being in the hospital - WHAT A FANTASTIC FUNKY SONG.

This is not only my kind of stuff anyway, but gorgious through and through: A great composition, a funky, a very funky and powerful arrangement, and I'd give my right pinky if I could swap it for your incredible voice.

What a treat, what a sensational treat !!!!!

Sincerely,

Stefan
Bass sounds great, but I agree with Ray, hard to hear the kick.

But man, such a great song! Nice to hear it again.
Posted By: Scott C Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/03/19 10:47 AM
Song sounds great . Excellent tune
Posted By: rsdean Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/03/19 12:18 PM
Lawrence,

I remember this song well - love this mix!

Bob
Lawrence,

Still an awesome vocal and cool backing. And a cool song!

Like others, I am not hearing the kick...

fj
Man have you ever got the right voice for this tune Lawrence! This thing is great! Fantastic job! Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: rayc
gruv,
what do you mean by
"...eq roughly around 50 db and the Bass around 100db..."?
You high pass, low pass, roll off, +3Db shelf to control high end
What are these settings and is the shelf a bottom end lift where?
he song sounds cool, I remember it.
The bass sounds cool in this but the kick is a little weak with no thud.

Ray, I used to add dbs with a small Q bell curve to the kick at 50 db, while subtracting some from the bass at 50db. And then add dbs to the bass at 100db and subtract some from the kick at 100db. But I feel the bottom better if I invert those curves: add to the bass at 50db and add to the kick at 70-100db.

Regarding the EQ in my mix buss - while I'm setting the mix levels it helps my ears if I use a high shelf at around 5000db with a 2-3 db lift; then before I mix down to stereo I turn that EQ off.

When you said that you couldn't hear the kick, I went back and added a parallel Drum track and EQ'd out everything but the kick and blended that in. I hope the "thump" is back.

Thank you for taking time to ask your questions. It really helped me re-listen and think.
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Yeah, gruverider, that's exactly what I needed on an otherwise dull and sad sunday morning with my wife being in the hospital - WHAT A FANTASTIC FUNKY SONG.

This is not only my kind of stuff anyway, but gorgious through and through: A great composition, a funky, a very funky and powerful arrangement, and I'd give my right pinky if I could swap it for your incredible voice.

Sincerely,

Stefan
I pray your wife does well. And thank you for listening. So glad you enjoyed it!
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Bass sounds great, but I agree with Ray, hard to hear the kick.

But man, such a great song! Nice to hear it again.
Thank you! I went back and added some kick.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Song sounds great . Excellent tune
Thank you Scott.
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Lawrence,

I remember this song well - love this mix!

Bob
Thanks Bob!
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Lawrence,

Still an awesome vocal and cool backing. And a cool song!

Like others, I am not hearing the kick...

fj
Thank you Floyd. I think I fixed it.
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Man have you ever got the right voice for this tune Lawrence! This thing is great! Fantastic job! Thanks, Torrey
Torrey, thank you!
Lawrence,
Great energy from this tune. Woke me right up and stuck in my head now smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Lawrence,
Great energy from this tune. Woke me right up and stuck in my head now smile

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Thank you Misha. Glad you enjoyed it!
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Originally Posted By: Crossroads

Sincerely,

Stefan
I pray your wife does well. And thank you for listening. So glad you enjoyed it!

That is very kind of you - thanks a lot.

Stefan
We didn't get a chance to listen before the last change but it sounds great. This is one of our favorite gruve songs and we love it when it pops up on our fav playlist!

Americana at its best!!

J&B
What a tune! Love everything about this - the groove is on point, and it is perfectly catchy and really fun to listen to. Top notch vocals as well. It all flows gorgeously. I can imagine this filling a dancefloor in no time flat!

Great work - thanks for sharing smile
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We didn't get a chance to listen before the last change but it sounds great. This is one of our favorite gruve songs and we love it when it pops up on our fav playlist!

Americana at its best!!

J&B
Thank you both smile
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! Love everything about this - the groove is on point, and it is perfectly catchy and really fun to listen to. Top notch vocals as well. It all flows gorgeously. I can imagine this filling a dancefloor in no time flat!

Great work - thanks for sharing smile
Thank you very much Deryk.
Posted By: rayc Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/06/19 06:11 AM

When you said that you couldn't hear the kick, I went back and added a parallel Drum track and EQ'd out everything but the kick and blended that in. I hope the "thump" is back.

YEP, MUCH better.
Thanks for the explanation.
I'll send you a message over the weekend about a couple of nifty bass EQ tricks used by Motown.
Posted By: tommyad Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/06/19 09:38 AM
Lawrence, all sounds good to me. This is a memorable funky tune. Your vocal is about as good as it gets. Loved it, Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/06/19 04:12 PM
I remember the first version posted

I like this one just as well,

seems like a cleaner mix, everything sounds good to me( love the snare)

great vocal and write

enjoyed,

Kenny
Originally Posted By: rayc

YEP, MUCH better.
Thanks for the explanation.
I'll send you a message over the weekend about a couple of nifty bass EQ tricks used by Motown.
I look forward to it.
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Lawrence, all sounds good to me. This is a memorable funky tune. Your vocal is about as good as it gets. Loved it, Tom
Thanks Tommy!
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
I remember the first version posted

I like this one just as well,

seems like a cleaner mix, everything sounds good to me( love the snare)

great vocal and write

enjoyed,

Kenny
Thanks Kenny. I'm always trying to make the songs just a little cleaner. It's always enthralling and often frustrating journey.
I remember this one from before. I absolutely loved it then and still do. Everything sounds so clean and clear.
Cool nasty funk.

So on the kick and bass.... start your mix with those two. They have, absolutely have to work together to lay down the funk and the foundation. Everything else is the filler around them.
Loving it here! Such an infectuous feel and great vocal.
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I remember this one from before. I absolutely loved it then and still do. Everything sounds so clean and clear.
Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool nasty funk.

So on the kick and bass.... start your mix with those two. They have, absolutely have to work together to lay down the funk and the foundation. Everything else is the filler around them.
Thank you Herb.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Loving it here! Such an infectuous feel and great vocal.
Thank you Josie!
Posted By: PeterF Re: I've been handling the Bottom all wrong! - 02/10/19 05:11 AM
Lawrence

Sounds really great!

Peter
© PG Music Forums