PG Music Home
Posted By: mglinert Movin’ on - 02/09/19 06:50 PM
New song : Movin' on

Written, played, sung, mixed and mastered by myself in January 2019.

Title : Movin’ on
Background : more of my quest to write the perfect pop song! Wanted to try my hand at an upbeat tune but piano-led.
Which tracks were recorded by you : All of them
Which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box / RealBand : none of them in the final mix, but the former used as a composition aid
Other programs used in the production : PG Music's Power Tracks Pro Audio V.12
Effects used in the production : nothing out of the ordinary

Thanks in advance for listening...
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Movin’ on - 02/09/19 09:53 PM
Great work nglinert! The overall production on this is quite polished love the overall form. Very good job!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Movin’ on - 02/10/19 12:44 AM
the perfect pop song

a fine goal

I really like this one, nice vocals, good melody

the piano and your vocal will make people think Joe Jackson

good mix in my headphones

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: Jim Re: Movin’ on - 02/10/19 08:23 AM
Terrific pop song...
I really like your vocals...
Nicely done!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Movin’ on - 02/10/19 10:43 AM
I love the piano intro and throughout the song. Cathy pop chorus.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Movin’ on - 02/10/19 12:32 PM
Marc,

A good listen. I agree with Kenny - this has Joe Jackson vibe to it (a sparse, drum-driven track). The piano phrases are nice. The piano volume drops at the 3 minute mark - I don't think it should...
Posted By: mglinert Re: Movin’ on - 02/11/19 04:16 AM
Many thanks to one and all for listening and for your kind comments.
I’ll check that velocity drop Floyd – probably something to do with the normalising. I still have the original MIDI piano tracks so shouldn’t be a problem.
Thanks for the Joe Jackson references. Portsmouth’s finest. I have seen Joe live several times thinking what I would give to have written just one of his songs.
Yes Ezekiel I wanted to hook the whole thing onto what could sound vaguely like a Carole King piano riff (thinking 70s not 60s).
A version 2 could be in order – I had quite a cold when I recorded the vox!!

Marc
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Movin’ on - 02/11/19 07:10 AM
Hi Marc,

It's great to see you in the forum again! It's sure been a while.

I like this! It's got all the hallmarks of the other fine songs that I've heard from you.... lot's of attention to detail (especially those consistent perfect rhymes). It must taken a while to get this arrangement together -- there's a lot happening but it all flows together seamlessly.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: mglinert Re: Movin’ on - 02/11/19 06:07 PM
Thanks Noel
Great to hear from you. So glad that you are continuing to hone your own already redoubtable skills.
The structure to this one is a bit A/A/A/A/A (ok I guess there is that short pre chorus build) still I'm happy with the composition.
I'll try to not leave it so long next time!
Marc
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Movin’ on - 02/11/19 10:17 PM
Good pop-song! I enjoyed your vocal performance. If you can fix the drop in volume of the instruments in the end it will be an even better track.

Thanks for sharing!
Will
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Movin’ on - 02/11/19 10:59 PM
Marc,
Nice positive pop song. I believe you reached your goal on this... but as you said: "got to keep moving on...never stop!"

I wish soundcloud did not chop some frequencies. I am sure it is much better on original file.

Thanks,

Misha.
© PG Music Forums