PG Music Home
Posted By: PeterF Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/18/19 11:36 PM

Crazy For You

Janice kindly agreed to sing another one of our songs and provides a gorgeous vocal.

Janice - Vocals
Leon - Lyrics
I played most of the guitars (except the L channel acoustic RT)
Bud – invaluable mix assistance, recording Janice and working on the RT Bass.

The Band
RealTracks in style: ~1394:Bass, Acoustic-Guitar, Jazz VerySimple Sw 110
RealTracks in style: 2440:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking FolkySwing Sw 110
RealTracks in song: 2729:Organ, Rhythm BluesShuffleMike Sw 130
RealDrums [in Song:NashvilleSwing8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Also a tambourine and a different organ in there as well.

Crazy for you

I said I was crazy for you
And I was; I was head over heels
I don’t think the words are any less true
Because time has changed how I feel

Life doesn’t care how you plan it
That’s just the way that it goes
And love, well you can’t understand it
That’s just the way that it flows

I used to dream we’d grow old together
You knew that we never would
Love can be fickle, capricious and fleeting
That much we both understood

Dreams fade away come the dawn
Vanish like smoke on the wind
And life won’t turn out how you want it to be
No matter how hard you pretend

I followed my heart down many a road
As often as not a dead end
Lovers may come and lovers may go
But we find our way home in the end

We followed our hearts down many a road
Many a detour, my friend
Lovers may come and lovers may go
But we find our way home in the end
This is fantastic!

Great lyrics, great tracks, and Janice ... oh my God... you nailed that vocal. So buttery smooth, just the right touch. Wow.
Posted By: Jim Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/19/19 07:23 AM
A grreat collaboration...
Good lyrics...
Among them "Life doesn’t care how you plan it... That’s just the way that it goes"
Great vocals as usual from Janice...
I really like the chordal changes on "I used to dream we’d grow old together"...
Great guitar playing...
Professional sounding mix...
A thumbs up to all involved... I like it!
This is just what I needed to hear this morning smile

Great song, loved the lyrics.

And man, Janice has such great tone! Smooth and full bodied.

Love your playing on this too, Peter, very melodic and tasteful.

Excellent!!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/19/19 10:02 AM
Peter, Leon, Janice & Bud,

What a great sound! This has the feel of an instant standard / classic record.

Awesome song and arrangement, flawlessly delivered by Janice.

Some great guitar lines and a polished mix really bring it all home.

Enjoyed it immensely!

Bob
Great collaboration!
Very good sounding piece. Love choruses & sweet guitar! Mixed to perfection. Janice, don't stop!

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: Phil Leith
This is fantastic!

Great lyrics, great tracks, and Janice ... oh my God... you nailed that vocal. So buttery smooth, just the right touch. Wow.

Thank you Phil. It was an easy song to fall into the lyric....

Janice
Love the chorus, so true!! Nice emotion in the vocals by Janice. Good song.
Originally Posted By: Jim
Good lyrics...
Among them "Life doesn’t care how you plan it... That’s just the way that it goes"
I really like the chordal changes on "I used to dream we’d grow old together"...
Great guitar playing...

Thank you Jim!

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/19/19 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Phil Leith
This is fantastic!

Thanks Phil - loved the description of the vocal.

Peter
Fantastic collab! Janice sounds really great! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/20/19 08:33 AM
Good lyrics...
Great guitar playing...

Thanks a lot Jim, appreciate all those comments.

Peter
Posted By: tommyad Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/20/19 09:56 AM
I am a fan of Janice’s stellar vocals. I am also a fan of Bud’s engineering techniques. I am also a fan of Peter’s complimentary guitar playing and tone. Leon usually puts in a word or two that twists the ear. In this case “capricious” . I don’t think I’ve ever heard that in a song. I enjoyed all that the four of you brought to this great collaboration, Tom
"Love can be fickle, capricious and fleeting" --great lyric. Janice's singing conveys the lyric perfectly. Love the guitar work too.

Scott
Peter/Leon/Janice/Bud...

So smoooooth. Everything fits together so nicely - such a flow!

"Life doesn’t care how you plan it
That’s just the way that it flows"

A nice write. (And the harmonies on that part are cool!). Excellent melody! (especially at "I used to dream we’d grow old together...You knew that we never would")

The guitars sound terrific. Love the drum sound. The bass is buttery.

And, of course, there is that Star vocal! Gorgeous.

Great job on this by all...

fj
To all involved, this track has such a charming inviting vibe to it kind of going back and forth from a pop sound in places then transitioning into country! Great work by all! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Sundance Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/20/19 11:53 PM
Beautiful vocal, song, arrangement and production. I especially like the chorus.
Great collaboration. Nice song Peter and Leon, tasteful guitar Peter and great vocals Janice.
Thanks for sharing,
Mike
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/21/19 05:04 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Excellent!!

Thanks Dave - its always great having Janice sing one of our songs. Also thanks for the guitar comments.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/21/19 05:47 AM
EXCELLENT,
the use of a fabulous voice and delivery makes the most of this terrific collaboration.
the layered vocals are perfect for the theme and arrangement.
Peter, your guitars really bring this up a notch.
Top stuff folks.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/21/19 03:24 PM
Touching lyrics and Janice interprets the story with pure perfection. Very nice clean mix. Interesting chord progression.

Janne
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/21/19 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean

Enjoyed it immensely!

Bob

Thanks Bob appreciate your support and nice comments.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/21/19 07:51 PM
Boy is this a cool song. Beautiful vocal Janice and harmonies were so complimentary. Peter loved how you set the guitar on this one. Very cool playing and tone was perfect for the song. Such a neat lyric as well. Gretsch right
Wow! What a great song!

Everything about this track is just top notch. Excellent composition, outstanding vocals and exceptional mixing / production.

This cannot be done much better!

Will
Hi y'all,

aside from the fact that a song sung by Janice could never be anything but marvellous this one is really, really nice on all levels: Great composition, very appealing lyrics, perfectly chosen backing track and, of course, top-notch guitar work.

What a fantastic collab...

Cheers,

Stefan
I
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Excellent!!

Thank you Dave!

Janice

Originally Posted By: rsdean

Enjoyed it immensely!

Bob

Thanks Bob. The great song made my part easy!

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/22/19 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Great collaboration!
Very good sounding piece. Love choruses & sweet guitar! Mixed to perfection. Janice, don't stop!

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha appreciate the comments.

Peter
If you took out all the parts I love, there would be nothing left.

I am a big KD Lang fan; and this could easily be a song of hers from every aspect of it. The choice of sounds, the treatment of those sounds, the lyrics and the melodic interpretation of them...it sounds SO good.

I know that's short; but I don't know that I can such much more than hasn't been said. Even the line "Love can be fickle, capricious and fleeting" has been mentioned.

1st listen had it stuck in my head. 2nd listen was MUCH more critical and came up with "seriously love it!"
Posted By: furry Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/22/19 10:06 PM
WOW, what a fabulous song. This one is up there with the best of George & Tammy. Great melody, harmony, and super duper arrangement.
Thanks guys, really got my feet tapping
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/23/19 08:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna

Thanks glad you liked it.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/23/19 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Thanks a lot Ember.

Peter
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/23/19 11:53 PM
Wow!

Great song

ever notice how awesome Janice sounds harmonizing with herself

love the laid back feel, very nice guitar

beautiful bridge

solid write

inspiring,

Kenny
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/24/19 07:16 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I am a fan of Janice’s stellar vocals. I am also a fan of Bud’s engineering techniques. I am also a fan of Peter’s complimentary guitar playing and tone. Leon usually puts in a word or two that twists the ear. In this case “capricious” . I don’t think I’ve ever heard that in a song. I enjoyed all that the four of you brought to this great collaboration, Tom

Thanks Tom - really appreciate the nice comments.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Great collaboration!

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks and yes that is a sweet guitar!

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/25/19 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
"Love can be fickle, capricious and fleeting" --great lyric. Janice's singing conveys the lyric perfectly. Love the guitar work too.

Scott

Thanks a lot Scott.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Belladonna

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

Originally Posted By: tommyad

Hey y'all, I really appreciate you mentioning my part in this. Tom, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've sung capricious! smile

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/26/19 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Peter/Leon/Janice/Bud...

A nice write. (And the harmonies on that part are cool!). Excellent melody! (especially at "I used to dream we’d grow old together...You knew that we never would")

fj

floyd
Thanks appreciate the comments, it's always a pleasure to have Janice sing,and Bud's assistance on the production.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/27/19 05:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
To all involved, this track has such a charming inviting vibe to it kind of going back and forth from a pop sound in places then transitioning into country! Great work by all! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/27/19 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Beautiful vocal, song, arrangement and production. I especially like the chorus.

Thanks Josie.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/27/19 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: mkg50
Great collaboration. Nice song Peter and Leon, tasteful guitar Peter and great vocals Janice.
Thanks for sharing,
Mike

Appreciate the comments Mike.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

Scott

Thank you Scott...

Janice

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Peter/Leon/Janice/Bud...

fj

Thank you so much! I appreciate you mentioning the harmony. Bud suggested that smile

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 02/28/19 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
EXCELLENT,
the use of a fabulous voice and delivery makes the most of this terrific collaboration.
Top stuff folks.

Thanks Ray - the harmonies were Bud & Janice's arrangement.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/01/19 04:53 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Touching lyrics and Janice interprets the story with pure perfection. Very nice clean mix. Interesting chord progression.

Janne

Thanks a lot Janne.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Originally Posted By: Sundance

Thank y’all for the kind words!

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/02/19 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Boy is this a cool song. Beautiful vocal Janice and harmonies were so complimentary. Peter loved how you set the guitar on this one. Very cool playing and tone was perfect for the song. Such a neat lyric as well. Gretsch right

Thanks Scott much appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/02/19 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wow! What a great song!

Everything about this track is just top notch. Excellent composition, outstanding vocals and exceptional mixing / production.

Will

Thanks a lot Will.

Peter
Not been on the showcase for a while, Everything has been said about this song at this stage.

When I seen it posted I knew before hearing it, that it was going to be INCREDIBLE !!.

Real pro stuff guys it really is, but it is easier when you have an INCREDIBLE !!singer sing for you.

Magic !!.

A great collaboration!
I entirely agree with Mike.
Nice song Peter and Leon, tasteful guitar Peter and great vocals Janice.
It reminded me of Linda Ronstadt.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: mkg50
Thanks for sharing,
Mike

Thank you Mike!

Janice

Originally Posted By: rayc
EXCELLENT,
Top stuff folks.

That’s very nice of you Ray. I certainly agree with your comments about Peter’s playing and Leon wrote a wonderful lyric.

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/04/19 08:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi y'all,

aside from the fact that a song sung by Janice could never be anything but marvellous this one is really, really nice on all levels: Great composition, very appealing lyrics, perfectly chosen backing track and, of course, top-notch guitar work.

Cheers,

Stefan

Thanks a lot Stefan appreciate the comments.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/04/19 08:10 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

I am a big KD Lang fan; and this could easily be a song of hers from every aspect of it. The choice of sounds, the treatment of those sounds, the lyrics and the melodic interpretation of them...it sounds SO good.

I know that's short; but I don't know that I can such much more than hasn't been said. Even the line "Love can be fickle, capricious and fleeting" has been mentioned.

1st listen had it stuck in my head. 2nd listen was MUCH more critical and came up with "seriously love it!"

Thanks for the very nice review.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/05/19 07:52 AM
Originally Posted By: furry
WOW, what a fabulous song. This one is up there with the best of George & Tammy. Great melody, harmony, and super duper arrangement.

Thanks much appreciated.

Peter
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/05/19 07:53 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Wow!

Great song

beautiful bridge

solid write

inspiring,

Kenny

Glad you liked it Kenny appreciate the review.

Peter
Originally Posted By: jannesan

Janne

Thank you Janne. I'm very happy you liked the interpretation!!!

Janice
Posted By: PeterF Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 03/06/19 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords

A great collaboration!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki much appreciated.

Peter

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Not been on the showcase for a while, Everything has been said about this song at this stage.

When I seen it posted I knew before hearing it, that it was going to be INCREDIBLE !!.

Real pro stuff guys it really is, but it is easier when you have an INCREDIBLE !!singer sing for you.

Magic !!.

Thanks for the great review.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thank you Scott!!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wow! What a great song!

Will

I do appreciate that Will!

Janice
How did I miss this? Really great track....creative lyrics, catchy melody, SWEET guitar, and of course, Janice!!! Really enjoyable listen!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi y'all,

Cheers,

Stefan

Thank you Stefan!

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Thanks! As soon as I heard the song I knew it would be a fun project. And it was!

Janice
Wow - just wow - Janice absolutely nailed this, but you did an outstanding job on the backing tracks as well. The tune is stunning, and displays a strong sense of songwriting understanding. Perfectly catchy, and it flows immaculately.

I can't think of a thing I'd change. You should be proud - thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: furry

Thanks!
Janice

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Wow!

Great song

beautiful bridge

solid write

inspiring,

Kenny

Thank you Kenny! It certainly makes the phrasing easy smile

Janice

Originally Posted By: beatmaster

Magic !!.

Thank you! That was VERY kind!

Janice

Originally Posted By: animarorecords

A great collaboration!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

I do appreciate you saying that Shigeki!

Janice
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
How did I miss this? Really great track....creative lyrics, catchy melody, SWEET guitar, and of course, Janice!!! Really enjoyable listen!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - just wow - Janice absolutely nailed this, but you did an outstanding job on the backing tracks as well. The tune is stunning, and displays a strong sense of songwriting understanding. Perfectly catchy, and it flows immaculately.

I can't think of a thing I'd change. You should be proud - thanks for sharing!

It's great to hear from you Deryk and a big thank you!

Janice
Posted By: Jim Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 04/19/19 01:51 PM
Peter & all...
I came back to ear this once again...
To remind myself of how much I liked it...
Again a good job to all involved!
Posted By: Riverbear Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 04/19/19 02:15 PM
Wow! This is very, very nice! Things to aspire to... great job!!
Peter & all...
I came back to ear this once again...
To remind myself of how much I liked it...
Again a good job to all involved!

Originally Posted By: Riverbear
Wow! This is very, very nice! Things to aspire to... great job!!

Peter is on vacation, I mean holiday smile so we'll thank you for all of us!

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 04/19/19 09:39 PM
Hi Peter, Leon, Janice and Bud.

This is such a wonderful listen. As I sat here with the song playing, I was reminded that this journey of Life, whatever roads it carries us along, is well worth it.

Peter's guitar work is excellent, Leon's lyrics are inspired and Janice has taken his words and used them to paint a masterpiece of a song. Such a smooth and immensely engaging vocal delivery!

I was mesmerised by the prosody with which Janice delivered the words. As I heard it, each syllable was perfectly aligned to exactly the right strength musical beat so that every phrase's meaning was optimised. By marrying this prosody to such a delightful and memorable melody, the song soared way, way above 'ordinary'.

Songwriting and song presenting does not get any better than this.

All the best to everyone,
Noel
Great song, great vocal!!

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Peter, Leon, Janice and Bud.

This is such a wonderful listen. As I sat here with the song playing, I was reminded that this journey of Life, whatever roads it carries us along, is well worth it.

Peter's guitar work is excellent, Leon's lyrics are inspired and Janice has taken his words and used them to paint a masterpiece of a song. Such a smooth and immensely engaging vocal delivery!

I was mesmerised by the prosody with which Janice delivered the words. As I heard it, each syllable was perfectly aligned to exactly the right strength musical beat so that every phrase's meaning was optimised. By marrying this prosody to such a delightful and memorable melody, the song soared way, way above 'ordinary'.

Songwriting and song presenting does not get any better than this.

All the best to everyone,
Noel

Noel, Janice is very appreciative of and humbled by your comments. As I’ve oft mentioned 90% of her vocals are one take with no comping. She just sings like she feels them and it seems to work out. Peter is on holiday (UK) but I know he and Leon always looks forward to and are appreciative of your insight and support.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great song, great vocal!!

Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Crazy For You Featuring Janice Merritt - 04/22/19 10:54 AM
Speaking of "flows", this. So comfortable on the ears.
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Speaking of "flows", this. So comfortable on the ears.

Thanks for listening and the nice comment!

Janice
© PG Music Forums